Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are they serious?

Comments

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I so admire those Simmers who can build a beautiful house in 6 hours, takes me hours to choose what clutter I want on the kitchen counters .. the rooster deco, the fruit bowl, the cookie jar, cooking utensils, a spice rack, a plant .. I'm not good at building, I just constantly remodel and renovate the existing lots.
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    edited December 2021
    So silly how people are getting so bent out of shape about that tweet. Personally it's not true for me because I am not a builder, ai appreciate builders so much since I download from the gallery a lot. I feel like the tweet was geared towards people who love building but aren't big on actual gameplay. It's not that deep. lol.
    Post edited by Caitxcat on
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    I build or remodel quite a few homes I never intend to play, but my main family may visit there at some point, and I want to visit in pleasant surroundings. I am willing to spend countless hours setting up every world, so no matter where my sim eventually roams, it is lovely.

I consider it all part of playing the sims. I love to build. I love to watch my little sims live their lives.

I even enjoy watching other simmers play on YouTube, whether building or watching their sims explore a new pack/challenge series. I just enjoy the sims.

As to the tweet, it is called humor - whether irony or satire or even sarcasm, it is intended to be humorous. My advice, for what it's worth, just smile and move on ....
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    It's the opposite for me. I try to build for five minutes, then scrap it because I can't build properly, so I end up downloading houses from the gallery instead and then play for hours. Or ya know, I just choose one of the pre-made houses lol
  • SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited December 2021
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Well, there's further proof that Twitter has no sense of humor. :D

And this forum thread reminds me just how many different ways there are to play the game—some of you agonizing for hours over getting the house just right while my sims all live in houses I slap together from minimalist ideas (standardized room sizes, arranged haphazardly and thrown together in five minutes or less or the next one's free!)
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited December 2021
    Skyrryx wrote: »
    I found something strange today, maybe related to that subject : 7 videos released today (2021/12/06) all sponsored ​by EA about ''my''(the youtuber) gameplay style and including a talk about 3 packs (not the same for all):

Those videos are all promoting the current Season of Selves campaign.

Tis the season to celebrate all your Sims selves

The videos are from builder's and players.

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Building is a good de-stressor for me, too. No Sims to muck up all my plans for them.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, there are simmers who are builders, not players. That's just what they enjoy the most.

I imagine most of them are former SimCity players like myself. Hard to get away from the builder's urge after you've spent years building entire cities.
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    That was very apt for me in Sims 2 and 3, but oddly enough I play much more in 4 than I did in previous versions. I play at least a few minutes every day.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    Building IS gameplay.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    That sounds exactly like my most recent day playing Sims. Sometimes you have 7 hours and you spend a lot of it building. I completely fail to see how this is an issue. It's just "here's how some Simmers spend a Sims day." It's a real thing, and not at all bad.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited December 2021
    I think that’s true all around, I when I play the game I usually build, trying to work on my castle building. But I spend a lot of time Building and customizing sims because I want the scene to look close enough to exactly how I always imagined it. and I always do this once I’m done fixing the place up I probably play in live mode to make sure routing works, fix lighting brightness before I modify my sim in cas for about another hour after.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Think this us a joke for all iterations of the franchise. Unfortunately for Sims 4, the game has proven to only be a pretty background with lackluster gameplay.
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    Think this us a joke for all iterations of the franchise. Unfortunately for Sims 4, the game has proven to only be a pretty background with lackluster gameplay.

I hear this (lackluster play) all the time, but I have not experienced it. I do use some UI mods and some "stop annoyance" type mods, and perhaps that makes a difference. I am also not adverse to cheating, if it make sense in a particular situation. But I play Sims 4 almost exactly the way I play Sims 3, and I find it every bit as much fun.

I play my game, I suppose, with a lot of my own imagination. I thrill to the world around my sim, because I love beauty, and it is beautiful. I enjoy watching my sims, in the same way I enjoy watching pets. They are silly little things who often go awry, but dear in spite of all that. I am invested in their lives, and care for them to give them the best and richest life possible. Since they will not ever age or die, I can take my time doing that. It is relaxing and fun to see them go about their multifaceted life.

One day I may spend time interacting with a pet, then the next day may be making a new friend or establishing the foundation of a romantic relationship. Perhaps they may go on a vacation. Or I may concentrate on a new interactive career. I have been known to turn off motive decay and spend an entire sim day and night, just fishing. If the scenery is lovely, it is similar to an afternoon out fishing in real life. My play is open ended, with no particular goal. My sims just ... live.

And of course I enjoy building and redecorating, because I will never be doing that in real life, anymore. (I have lived in the same home for over 30 years and I have no desire to move.) So the game is a good outlet for creativity, in that regard.

Perhaps it makes a huge difference that I am retired, and my life is all about enjoyment, now. I have all the time in the world to "smell the roses" and my sim game is part of that.

I am guessing that if you expect the game dynamics to entertain you, most games will lose their luster relatively quickly. All games are repetitive, because they have a limited set of algorithms on which to hang their forms. Once you explore the possibilities, the newness has worn off. The way to continue enjoying them is to use game dynamics as a jumping off point, and then you can create something from that, even if only in your own imagination. That is the genius of the Sims franchise. Sandbox all the way. You make it what you want.

Or ... it just may be that I rarely, if ever, get bored. So, you can't go by me. ;) LOL
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    @amjoie wonderfully expressed. I definitely wouldn't spend any time on a game I considered lackluster. Even if it was the only game of it's kind.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Sounds like a normal thing to me :) And it's not as bad as RL architects who spend months on designing a house that they won't live in at all.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited December 2021

Yeah, that's probably why a lot of people didn't like the tweet. A lot of people feel that gameplay have not been as good this iteration and have not offered enough content and variation. So when the official sims account is tweeting that they are only spending 1 hour on gameplay it feels like they are only confirming what many are feeling.

Even though I'm sure that was not their intention with that tweet. It was meant for people who enjoy building, sometimes builds that you never end up playing in.
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    I agree with it, I just build houses and create sims and stories and have lots of fun with it, I stopped playing the gameplay part like a year ago, honestly I wish the gameplay part could be as good as the creative part
    @amjoie

For me, I can handle repetitive gameplay if there is a story to tell where I don't have to "use my imagination." What I need from the game is more family-style gameplay features. Right now it is basically a young adult simulation game from much of the activity focus. Even the one pack supposedly for kids is actually geared for the adult sims. Interestingly enough, I got that from previous a previous iteration of the game.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    This is me in regards to this game, but in CAS. I can spend a good hour tweaking features of the Sims and their clothes, etc. But if I stick them in the game, I am done playing in 30 minutes. The actual gameplay does not hold my interest at all.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

For me, I can handle repetitive gameplay if there is a story to tell where I don't have to "use my imagination."

I’m not sure what you mean by that?
    Don’t we tell stories by using our imagination? Or do you mean story / quest based gameplay that follows a specific trajectory? Or do you mean that without a certain object / feature you cannot tell the story?

What I need from the game is more family-style gameplay features. Right now it is basically a young adult simulation game from much of the activity focus. Even the one pack supposedly for kids is actually geared for the adult sims. Interestingly enough, I got that from previous a previous iteration of the game.

How do you feel about the recently added bunkbeds and the interactions for kids such as cooking together and gardening?
    I don’t consider myself a family player, however I do think kids could do with a few more kids related activities and I believe these free updates to be a huge step in the right direction in regards to family style gameplay.

How is the Kids Stuff pack geared towards adult sims? Only kids can play with the puppet theatre and the Voidcritter battle machine. I wish adults could too! 😅
    Parenthood is intended for parent sims dealing with kids/ teens and kids/ teens dealing with growing up. I think the toddlers and toddler gameplay in Sims 4 is superior to toddlers in other iterations. Isn’t this all part of family gameplay?
    Sure, we don’t have more school activities or slumber parties with sleeping bags or rocking horses but we also don’t have werewolves or bands or cars.
    Yet. 😇

I feel that Sims 4 is “slower” to incorporate features because many of those have embedded gameplay systems ( e.g. ranks and values, world/ neighborhood transformations) which are intended for long term gameplay whereas previous titles work with more straight forward interaction based gameplay.
    At this point it depends on what people prefer and do with it.
    Some get more long term gameplay out of sims or sims 2, others get that from sims 3. Sure, they’re all completely different systems but they’re sims games nevertheless.

Seven years in, would it not be more logical for an individual to play the version that feels the least lackluster? Since that version already exists. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7

I played the first iteration of The Sims for 15 years without mods or cc. I personally only started Sims 4 in about 2016, so not played it for 7 years. But, I also play other video games as well. For example, I play the Story of Seasons games and while that has repetitive gameplay, it also has random cut scenes where the main objective end goal of a storyline progresses. I have dabbled into Sims 3, but I hate the open world aspect and the camera controls are not user friendly for me. I have said before I play to get rid of stress, so not having to "use my imagination" means I should not have to make up a story.

What I do need is more significant gameplay features geared toward the kids and teens like fun activities that ARE NOT rabbit holes and DO NOT include the sims using electronic technology in-game. While the cooking and gardening are OK, those are chores for the kids. I also want more significant gameplay for the elderly Sims. I have made challenges to help me find an end goal for a individual save file, but there is not ways to make each generation played in a save feel unique. The Sims in Sims 4 all seem to have the same empty personalities.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    amjoie wrote: »

I hear this (lackluster play) all the time, but I have not experienced it. I do use some UI mods and some "stop annoyance" type mods, and perhaps that makes a difference. I am also not adverse to cheating, if it make sense in a particular situation. But I play Sims 4 almost exactly the way I play Sims 3, and I find it every bit as much fun.

I play my game, I suppose, with a lot of my own imagination. I thrill to the world around my sim, because I love beauty, and it is beautiful. I enjoy watching my sims, in the same way I enjoy watching pets. They are silly little things who often go awry, but dear in spite of all that. I am invested in their lives, and care for them to give them the best and richest life possible. Since they will not ever age or die, I can take my time doing that. It is relaxing and fun to see them go about their multifaceted life.

One day I may spend time interacting with a pet, then the next day may be making a new friend or establishing the foundation of a romantic relationship. Perhaps they may go on a vacation. Or I may concentrate on a new interactive career. I have been known to turn off motive decay and spend an entire sim day and night, just fishing. If the scenery is lovely, it is similar to an afternoon out fishing in real life. My play is open ended, with no particular goal. My sims just ... live.

And of course I enjoy building and redecorating, because I will never be doing that in real life, anymore. (I have lived in the same home for over 30 years and I have no desire to move.) So the game is a good outlet for creativity, in that regard.

Perhaps it makes a huge difference that I am retired, and my life is all about enjoyment, now. I have all the time in the world to "smell the roses" and my sim game is part of that.

I am guessing that if you expect the game dynamics to entertain you, most games will lose their luster relatively quickly. All games are repetitive, because they have a limited set of algorithms on which to hang their forms. Once you explore the possibilities, the newness has worn off. The way to continue enjoying them is to use game dynamics as a jumping off point, and then you can create something from that, even if only in your own imagination. That is the genius of the Sims franchise. Sandbox all the way. You make it what you want.

Or ... it just may be that I rarely, if ever, get bored. So, you can't go by me. ;) LOL

Imagination is great. It's why we continue to play The Sims. However, other games in this series offer actual gameplay and situations that don't have to be 'imagined'. Actual Sims (in older games) actually go tell other Sims what has been happening with other Sims. And it all be true. Or they call them up and within the course of the conversation seen within the speech bubbles, the Sim on the other end of the phone is telling your Sim a lot of stuff they didn't know. And vice versa. Your Sim may be confessing they care for a particular Sim (seen in speech bubbles) and the player is like what? I didn't know they were secretly interested or crushing on a particular Sim seen in those speech bubbles.

When my Sim is sick in TS4 I have to 'imagine' they dragged their sickly body to the pc to order meds and then wait anxiously for it to arrive. When actually they are over in the corner yucking it up on a game (no worries) and or in a different room yakking away with other Sims. Not even spreading their disease to anyone else and or little worry they might keel over. Just click and done. Other games would have never went for this lackluster type of gameplay and make the player use their imagination.

The problem with TS4 in some cases is we have to suspend our disbelief too much because it's not logical a Sim would be having fun or yakking it up while they are supposedly deathly sick. That's too much to ask even for a five year old.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Caitxcat wrote: »
    So silly how people are getting so bent out of shape about that tweet. Personally it's not true for me because I am not a builder, ai appreciate builders so much since I download from the gallery a lot. I feel like the tweet was geared towards people who love building but aren't big on actual gameplay. It's not that deep. lol.

Agreed. It's a joke that has been made before.