Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Male Apparel for Base Game

This is not a new issue, but the recent release of the Modern Menswear Kit has brought it a certain new currency.

I am fine seeing kits explore niche styles & content, and don't contest this release on those grounds.

I am, however, increasingly dissatisfied to see so few options for male sims in Base Game or DLC for Sims 4.

Not fringe styles, or ethnic costumes, or next season's haute couture runway fashions. Core, everyday, staples.

A lot is being done in the Base Game for diversity, representation and inclusion. Please, consider more parity in asset development for masculine styles as well.

Was there already a topic for this? Probably. But clearly, it wasn't getting attention. Do better.

Comments

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    edited December 2021
    I can find surprisingly okay shirts for male sims, but when it comes to bottoms and shoes, I almost always use the few same ones :(

Edited to add: newest Kit absolutely did not bring me any more bottom options :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I've said it before, but it bears repeating:

Underwear.

fxszkRM.png
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Yeah, it's a real issue. I typically find myself using CC for most of my masculine clothing and accessories, but I know that not everyone wants to do that (or can't even if they'd like to). It would be great to get some well-made and stylish but simple, basic base game/DLC stuff that could be used by pretty much any guy in the game. The staples, as you said.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    There are so few options (even though I have most packs), I’ve inadvertently assigned the same outfits for male sims without realizing it. Then I’ve seen them show up to a party wearing the same thing. How embarrassing.

Dudes and Dads need attention.
    I’m not interested in the Modern Themswear kit.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,820 Member
    If only, would be a nice upgrade something like the skin update they did, maybe even add more for younglings sure but just a nice big addition whether they need to recolor some things or can come up with new pieces I don't care. I mean there is still a pretty standard selection if you go out shopping and look in the guy section I'd take more jeans and teeshirts if that was what we got.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    The problem I have is that you can't style men with the selections available. There are basics in game, but if you dress all of your guys in the same 10 things, they all look alike. The trendy and ethnic styles from City Living don't work for a lot of sims I create. ROM, Vampires, Island Living and Cottage Living CAS is pack specific. And, even though tops from the female assets are available, you can't use most of them because of the boob shadow. And everything is YA geared. It's hard to find enough for stylish adults and elders to wear. I want to be able to make a fuddy duddy grandpa. I also want to make a stylish one. I want to be able to make macho guys, artistic types, motorcycle gangs, stay at home dads, and high-end businessmen. I want unisex items. And hair. I want some good hair.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    And hair. I want some good hair.

Good point on the hair. There are a lot of male hairstyles in the game that I just don't like.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    edited December 2021
    cyncie wrote: »
    And hair. I want some good hair.

Good point on the hair. There are a lot of male hairstyles in the game that I just don't like.

Yes. So many are variations of the super spiked hair, asymmetrical, or quiff styles. At least we have gotten a few wavy/curly styles lately. I would like to see some long hair styled specifically for men. Too many of the long female hairs are super styled with lots of blow out volume and don’t look right on men. Messy cuts, medium and long shaggy, classic medium length cuts (too many of the “business” styles are super short), more curly hair, and color choices that include graying temples for that distinguished older sim.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Agreed.

It would be unrealistic to expect an equal share between masculine and feminine content, however, the lack of Male CAS options in the Sims 4 is laughable at this point.
    I have a huge dislike for the styles featured in the Modern Menswear Kit, but that’s personal and it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. I don’t agree with the name either, but even that is beside the point. The problem is that there aren’t enough basic styles for male sims in the first place. This includes Hair, Facial Hair and Body Hair. There is also not enough - what I consider to be - masculine content. Obviously this could mean something different to each person depending on personal taste, but still, there simply isn’t enough variety for our dudes, and there isn’t enough content for each, basic style. Prioritizing high fashion male skirts and dresses over a bigger selection of interesting looking, basic male clothing is like a slap in the face. In my humble opinion of course. In my humble opinion.

My males are CC monsters since most of the vanilla content looks slightly awkward on them. They tend to look uncomfortable in those stiff, dull or too tight pants. They look a tad silly in that shirt. I own all pack/ kits minus MMW and I really do like some of the male items offered in these packs but there isn’t enough to play around with. It’s either too clean or too flash.
    The quality of meshes seem much higher 7 years in and I believe some of the dull, straight Base Game pants we have could do with a reworking and have some folds and subtle textures added. I believe plenty of us want “dull” pants or shirts for our sims, but at least make ‘em look good.
    In many cases it’s not about what our sims wear, it’s how they wear it. Rolled up sleeves vs sleeves that cover the hands. A size too big but comfy looking. Make the clothing “hang” around the body more naturally. Add more weight. Right now some of our male sims dressed in basegame attire look like Ken dolls stuck in their box. Female sims in general look way more confident in their clothing. Males look borderline comical.

Personally I would be interested in a variety of adventure clothing, basic leisurewear and stylish classic male suits.
    And How Bout some more grungy boots, faded ripped denim, distressed sweaters, a pair of comfy combats, worn leather, a bit of rope, scruff and frayed-at-the-edges kinda stuff? A Rugged Dudewear Kit perhaps?

Yer typical rugged dude.
    C79-FD3-BD-9031-4616-A122-DB1-F9-ACBC4-A8.jpg

Some rugged men wear rope well. Just like himself.
    C5-A9-DFA6-EF43-4-B82-BA89-29-C584676425.jpg

Interesting coat.
    7835-C161-8-F59-4-A1-F-A8-B3-E6-A3-A5-E333-CB.jpg

Good Boy. (I mean the dog).
    ACFE00-EC-81-B7-475-A-8988-446-C2-B123-CBF.jpg

Selfreflecting menswear.
    8-DA46-A42-3174-428-B-BDEC-68-B990579783.webp

Wolfstooth style.
    EB6-D0611-A785-4242-9392-DA94-C191-F15-D.jpg

George Cahill Junior. We need more George Cahill.
    515-BF7-E0-4-F80-4-B78-8277-25-A6-B2-C29009.jpg

K dude, chill. I won’t go near your bag.
    0-CF8-C347-B3-A4-45-A2-A69-B-2-AE9-A09-AF9-F1.webp

And some people just love Gerry.
    EF9-CB651-B16-B-4-CF4-A604-B07-C0-A1-FBAD0.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2021
    My males would not be who they are today without my collection of cc clothes and thats pretty sad. They all looked like clones of eachother and not in a good way. Honestly I never understood why they neglected them all of these years because even if this game has more female players in general I always thought don't we want nice looking male sims for our girls?🤔
    Even Barbie has ken!
    I appreciate that they at least tried with this last kit but the designer they chose was just 😒.
    Kids are badly neglected too but I'll save that for another thread.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    A Rugged Dudewear Kit perhaps?

MEEE!!! :love:<3

Jokes aside (and the above was not one, haha) , that kind of Kit would be awesome :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Agreed.

It would be unrealistic to expect an equal share between masculine and feminine content, however, the lack of Male CAS options in the Sims 4 is laughable at this point.
    I have a huge dislike for the styles featured in the Modern Menswear Kit, but that’s personal and it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. I don’t agree with the name either, but even that is beside the point. The problem is that there aren’t enough basic styles for male sims in the first place. This includes Hair, Facial Hair and Body Hair. There is also not enough - what I consider to be - masculine content. Obviously this could mean something different to each person depending on personal taste, but still, there simply isn’t enough variety for our dudes, and there isn’t enough content for each, basic style. Prioritizing high fashion male skirts and dresses over a bigger selection of interesting looking, basic male clothing is like a slap in the face. In my humble opinion of course. In my humble opinion.

My males are CC monsters since most of the vanilla content looks slightly awkward on them. They tend to look uncomfortable in those stiff, dull or too tight pants. They look a tad silly in that shirt. I own all pack/ kits minus MMW and I really do like some of the male items offered in these packs but there isn’t enough to play around with. It’s either too clean or too flash.
    The quality of meshes seem much higher 7 years in and I believe some of the dull, straight Base Game pants we have could do with a reworking and have some folds and subtle textures added. I believe plenty of us want “dull” pants or shirts for our sims, but at least make ‘em look good.
    In many cases it’s not about what our sims wear, it’s how they wear it. Rolled up sleeves vs sleeves that cover the hands. A size too big but comfy looking. Make the clothing “hang” around the body more naturally. Add more weight. Right now some of our male sims dressed in basegame attire look like Ken dolls stuck in their box. Female sims in general look way more confident in their clothing. Males look borderline comical.

Personally I would be interested in a variety of adventure clothing, basic leisurewear and stylish classic male suits.
    And How Bout some more grungy boots, faded ripped denim, distressed sweaters, a pair of comfy combats, worn leather, a bit of rope, scruff and frayed-at-the-edges kinda stuff? A Rugged Dudewear Kit perhaps?

Yer typical rugged dude.
    C79-FD3-BD-9031-4616-A122-DB1-F9-ACBC4-A8.jpg

Some rugged men wear rope well. Just like himself.
    C5-A9-DFA6-EF43-4-B82-BA89-29-C584676425.jpg

Interesting coat.
    7835-C161-8-F59-4-A1-F-A8-B3-E6-A3-A5-E333-CB.jpg

Good Boy. (I mean the dog).
    ACFE00-EC-81-B7-475-A-8988-446-C2-B123-CBF.jpg

Selfreflecting menswear.
    8-DA46-A42-3174-428-B-BDEC-68-B990579783.webp

Wolfstooth style.
    EB6-D0611-A785-4242-9392-DA94-C191-F15-D.jpg

George Cahill Junior. We need more George Cahill.
    515-BF7-E0-4-F80-4-B78-8277-25-A6-B2-C29009.jpg

K dude, chill. I won’t go near your bag.
    0-CF8-C347-B3-A4-45-A2-A69-B-2-AE9-A09-AF9-F1.webp

YES. Can all of my male townies spawn in these looks please? And some of my females as well (I would wear some of these myself) because these looks are bangin and I want them in my game. ❤️ I know we have a few pieces that resemble some of these but more please, much more.
    #Team Occult
    Kits are great. But my major concern is for Base Game - since that's getting love, too.

Menswear really, really needs more base options.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Here are some clothes that I feel are missing or that we don't have enough of for male sims:
    • Sweatshirts, and sweatshirts combined with different types of jackets (leather jacket, denim jacket, utility jacket etc.).
    • Different lengths of T-shirts that are not tucked in.
    • Jeans that are not stylized and actually go all the way down to your feet.
    • Variants of normal formal wear like combinations of shirts, suits and coats without any crazy colors.
    • Shoes that are a bit nicer without being formal and are not jogging shoes or boots.
    5348.png
    Actual FORMAL wear would be nice.

But core basics, with plenty of swatches (how about green jeans? Or brown? I own both IRL) that are versatile. Yes, yes, yes.
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I agree with this! There's barely any male clothing that came from the base game, and what little was there is mostly just t-shirts and stuff. Expansion packs, game packs, and stuff packs may add a little bit, but it isn't much when you think about it. And the new male clothing kit was a bit disappointing when I looked at it briefly. There wasn't a whole lot there. Then again, it is just a kit, so I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of new outfits in it.

Honestly, I think there needs to be a few more male hairstyles too. I just think it would be really cool to have a major update that adds more male clothing and hair to the game. It would help the players who only use base game content too, especially if they can't use CC.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    A male cas pack, that contains actual masculine styled clothing, is well overdue. It's not just the male sims that are missing out by the lack of clothing options either, have you tried to find masculine style clothing to suit a female sim who you want to play as butch or male presenting? It's nigh on impossible to dress them in anything that doesn't immediately look too artsy or fabulously fashionable on them. The lack of decent traditionally masculine clothing ('traditionally masculine' meaning stuff which isn't something you would typically see on a runway or a fashion boutique) is appalling at this stage, and quite frankly makes me questions the Sims commitment to real diversity (see above re Sims you wish to have present as masculine, eg trans, non binary, gender non conforming, etc, etc - it's not always about the femme stylings).

And some simmers might just want to play their sims in very traditional gender roles, where manly men are manly, and women wear twin sets and pearls & pin curl their hair every night (yes I also referenced decades challenges, because good luck playing certain decades without resorting to CC with what's on offer in terms of male clothing), and no simmer should feel limited in their game play because of a lack of available male cas items. All this talk of 'discover your sims selves', well okay, what if your sim self is the manliest man whoever manned type, and you want him to look like he could hit a spittoon at 30 paces, whilst driving a mack truck and shotgunning tinnies? Not much point talking about 'sims selves' and 'discovering who your sim self could be' if you severely limit the options of that discovery.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    hit a spittoon at 30 paces, whilst driving a mack truck and shotgunning tinnies

I need it in my game. As in, TODAY!

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Amen, brothers! Captain and Logion, great photos. EA, take note! Male clothing needs more testosterone, less estrogen (looking at you, latest male kit). A challenge for EA, the ability to make Sean Connery at his gritty best. Or John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, Daniel Boone...