Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Modern Menswear Kit: Available Now!

Comments

• WightQueenSiamWightQueenSiam Posts: 11 New Member
    I bought this kit on my own, because I am a completionist and had some spare money lying around from my birthday. The textures are better than I initially expected; some do run into the vein of "Alpha", particularly the chunky knits that are more photoshopped on than cute and semi-realistic, but overall I don't have any issues with that. I do wish the ones that had buttons (the top and the bottoms) had 3D buttons -- like the full-body outfit with the skirt and coat.

What I struggle with is echoed in many of the other comments in this thread.

The items are fine. I'm sure that Stephen Cooke's stuff in the real world is fine, though I have absolutely no way to afford his menswear any more than I do Moschino items and most fashion designers are often off in left-field when it comes to what normal consumers want to wear and cater instead to those who are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on garments (because capitalism). It doesn't fit well into gameplay overall, but it can be fun to have Sims who dress in more high-fashion options.

Out of the items, we have a vast amount of FULL BODY ITEMS that could be separated. The t-shirt, plain skirt and leggings (which, the leggings are separate as well) are SO full-body that they include boots. Why are we getting this trend of Kits with full-body outfits that INCLUDE SHOES? They aren't costume pieces. You did this in the Mumbai fashion kit as well, and I was willing to tolerate that one because it was one time, but it's 2021 (soon to be 2022) and we're in the Sims 4, not the Sims 2 or the Sims 1 and please stop giving out full-body casual fashion with shoes attached, let us put on a pair of shoes ourselves. Maybe we want to wear sandals with that t-shirt and skirt combo.

I imagine part of the reason why the items are full-body has to do with item count, but I'm going to feel better paying $5 for a fashion kit if it has no full-body items and more separates because it means there's more variety in how I can wear items. Especially when the "basics" are a t-shirt and plain skirt, because those are vital for menswear and can be used in anything, but not if they're pieced together exclusively.

Took the masculine tag off and went to see how it fits on feminine Sims, because the items are cute. The single skirt fits well, but the shirts all deform the breasts and the pants all deform the crotch. I understand it's a menswear kit, but it would be a huge step in the right direction if we made the items fit the opposite body type: both masculine and feminine. Would this take too much extra time? The CC creators don't get paid enough to go in and create meshes for the different body types, but they do it, and I love them for it but it would be especially nice if we had EA content that simply worked the way it's meant to given we can use various items on various Sims without restriction.

I don't mind Kits. I wish you guys would do something different with them, instead of collaborating with people who want us to pay beaucoup money in real life for items. Maybe get together with CC creators and release various "CC Collab Packs", pay them for their work, and put that out. People would be thrilled to buy a $5 pack made by a CC creator who won't forget pieces and knows to make the items work for both frames, and may think out of the box when it comes to item placement, and generally will create nice separates.

That's just my brain. I appreciate what the SimGurus and the team do for us (except not EA as a whole because it seems like they may be the big blockage for Quality Content), but it always feels just a little disingenuous, which I don't think is the ultimate intent.
  • djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    Another boring kit. Wake me up when they announce something exciting. 🥱

Sums it it about right....snooze :|

• AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Also, there are a few items that are still locked to one gender (the ones I’ve noticed are the base game shirt Dina wears with her default athletic outfit and the crop top from Perfect Patio Stuff, but there could be more).
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    edited December 2021
    I really don't get the complaints that male clothing looks weird on female bodies and vice versa. It's a consequence of the game actually having two genders with different body shapes and visuals. In my book it would be a bad thing if all body shapes looked the same. The tech of this game is that some visuals are added graphically and not natural as would be if each clothing item had a certain weight and was shaped by the body. Maybe in ts5 clothing items will be separated to mix and match, with a certain weight making it fit the body shape better - but not for now. I hope not too many simmers get offended by their sim not looking tip top wearing the "wrong" outfits, hopefully kits like this one might help a tad :)

PS: I did once play a male sim dressing like a female, it did not look perfect but it still was cool enough ;)

It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't a feature. Especially when the game likes to promote diversity/inclusion and the fact you can mix and max... but in reality when you do these things in game it looks terrible. The top choice for their Bretman Rock sim is a prime example of this. It looks baaaad.

In real life I don't expect a dress made for a woman to fit a man. But in game what I do expect is not to give him makeshift breasts when he does wear them. Irl while the same dress that would fit the average woman's and not the average man's; you can easily accommodate the design irl and make a version of that dress to fit a man's form (or any form).

Also, I believe (I could be wrong) a lot of the male pants/shorts in game got coded to appear in feminine category too but when feminine body sims wear them the weights are off and they semi-T pose. This ESPECIALLY gets on my nerves cause it's not that I specifically am looking for items in the masc category but they're in the fem one (and tbh makes sense cause there is no reason they shouldn't be--other than they don't fit).

Some items look better than others. But as much as I loved the "cross dress" patch feature and the idea behind it--I'd rather have select items that fit featured as options versus the whole lot where 75% are buggy.

The T posing mtf clothes bothers me the most and the fact those are mixed in the feminine clothing tag. There is a good chance I'm wrong about this and they aren't mixed in but I swear there are a few items that are (swim shorts, vampire pack pants stick out in particular in my mind).
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member

ZdzZbxH.png

I would totally dress Caleb Vatore in this.

I wish there was a way to keep sims arms from sinking into outfits like this. I love the big ballgown look, but I hate the disappearing arms.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2021
    Oh no don’t worry folks. This is a new occult npc, similar to the dust bunnies.
    It’s called a Crotch Notch and it hides in a sim’s underpants for random, unknown reasons. This particular one has eyes. You’re supposed to feed it after 9:27 AM for one quarter of a sim hour and thirty sim seconds exactly. Most people forget to do that and that’s when it’ll look like the thing in the image below for the rest of that sim’s life as long as they’re wearing those pants. 🤷🏻‍♂️

DF792722-8-B90-4802-B58-D-695787-B788-FB.jpg

This one is sort of cute, no? Although I think we should ask the team to nerf the gameplay related to feeding this occult within a required time frame. It’s way too challenging. Plus I believe the majority of simmers is confused by the visual state of the un-fed Crotch Notch.
    I sort of get it.
    That did make me giggle a lot. Almost reminds me of those ghost sheet costumes kids wear sometimes so Gunther would be bffs with it. That bug is bad with several packs. Brings me back to when that horrible bug with the dresses in Luxury Party stuff pack came out too. A lot of boots still have visual issues with several of the pants which makes me wonder if that glitch is why this kit and Journey to Batuu started doing the locked shoes with outfits.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    I don't hate this pack because it has skirts and dresses for men, I hate it because everything in it is ugly.

While the male sims I play will never wear "women's wear", I have a few in the background who do, for variety. As for my men, I just want nice tees and jeans and a couple of good suits. The day a CC creator makes a perfect pair of cowboy cut Wranglers will be the day I can die happy.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I've always thought that skirts on men were given up as most men don't look good in them with their spindly legs. They might have been ok in the days that men worked hard for their living as labourers or farm workers and got the muscles to go with them! Tartan kilts are ok as they are worn with very thick socks to below the knee. I don't see the designs ever catching on much again.

Higher heels were used by military horsemen to keep their feet in the stirrups, Louis the fourteenth to look taller and anybody in a higher rank who didn't have to work for that living! A status symbol.
  • amy10053344amy10053344 Posts: 5 New Member
    I wanted more masculine clothes in the game. I have nothing against men who choose to wear skirts or anything, but when the game already has 70% more feminine clothes then masculine why add feminine clothes to a kit that is marketed for the male sims. Should of made 2 kits called this one "Flamboyant Fashion Kit" and create a second kit that is actual "menswear". You know when you go to a average department store and go to the menswear section that should give you a idea.
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've always thought that skirts on men were given up as most men don't look good in them with their spindly legs. They might have been ok in the days that men worked hard for their living as labourers or farm workers and got the muscles to go with them! Tartan kilts are ok as they are worn with very thick socks to below the knee. I don't see the designs ever catching on much again.

Higher heels were used by military horsemen to keep their feet in the stirrups, Louis the fourteenth to look taller and anybody in a higher rank who didn't have to work for that living! A status symbol.
    That is true. There was a guy I knew who his sister called had chicken legs. I think skirts used to look better on women too and now not so much because manual labor isn't done as much. We do need some thick socks in the game too. I just feel like skirts and dresses in general are a dying trend except for formal wear. Sometimes it feels like the fate of fashion is heading towards the movie Wall-E in which everyone will be in a pant suit uniform and we will only have color trends at the click of a button on a tablet. Like it will actually turn into a private school with clothing. Then again there were simple times when humans didn't even care about clothing. Must have been nice then.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited December 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    Then again there were simple times when humans didn't even care about clothing. Must have been nice then.

Nice? Unless famines were enjoyable and being rather poor was a total hoot.
    No matter how far back we go in history, most Ho-Ho* Sapiens who could afford something to look good and trendy in would invest in it immediately. To many folks fashion equals status because a level of status demands respect.

Back in cave man days:

“Ugg, I’m the guy who killed the bear, now I’m wearing it, so don’t mess with me. Bring me berries instead, you little scallywag .” that kinda thing.

Does any one remember being a kid, and all your classmates wore Nike and you didn’t, because there were too many in the family to be wearing expensive fancy brands like Nike so it was going to be either a pair of sensible runners that cost about $10 or an odd pair of hand-me-downs? Being a kid, that really 🪠ed, because all the cool people and kids in the movies and on the tv ads wore Nike. As a wee rascal you don’t really appreciate the fact that you get to go to school in the first place, all most kids want is to be cool. Too cool for school. (School’s a joke anyway. I’ve forgotten everything they tried to teach me 😒. Now I’m just cool. That’s a lie. I’m still in school. 🤦🏻‍♂️)

Perhaps the 13 year old boys who play this game are mighty influenced by the style in Modern Menswear Kit and all they want to do now is wear knit sweaters on miniskirts.
    Good for them. Good for them boys. ❤️

*Edit: a scientific term was censored on me…🤷🏻‍♂️
    Then again there were simple times when humans didn't even care about clothing. Must have been nice then.

No matter how far back we go in history, most Ho-Ho* Sapiens who could afford something to look good and trendy in would invest in it immediately. To many folks fashion equals status because a level of status demands respect.

Back in cave man days:

“Ugg, I’m the guy who killed the bear, now I’m wearing it, so don’t mess with me. Bring me berries instead, you little scallywag .” that kinda thing.

Does any one remember being a kid, and all your classmates wore Nike and you didn’t, because there were too many in the family to be wearing expensive fancy brands like Nike so it was going to be either a pair of sensible runners that cost about $10 or an odd pair of hand-me-downs? Being a kid, that really 🪠ed, because all the cool people and kids in the movies and on the tv ads wore Nike. As a wee rascal you don’t really appreciate the fact that you get to go to school in the first place, all most kids want is to be cool. Too cool for school. (School’s a joke anyway. I’ve forgotten everything they tried to teach me 😒. Now I’m just cool. That’s a lie. I’m still in school. 🤦🏻‍♂️)

Perhaps the 13 year old boys who play this game are mighty influenced by the style in Modern Menswear Kit and all they want to do now is wear knit sweaters on miniskirts.

For me back to Adam and Eve. Then forbidden fruit happened and fig leaves happened and then clothing happened. Nike actually was a Greek Goddess which is an interesting tidbit. But yeah whatever you believe, clothing has changed throughout history and humans do put more significance towards brands than they used to. I never have been a fan of Nike. I never could afford fashion like the rich kids either and honestly grew better for it. Made me realize people are more than just their appearance. Helps getting to know who they are as a person. I did never care for the furry costumes in the game like the bear costume. Some people prefer dressing like animals I guess.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

Back in cave man days:

For me back to Adam and Eve. Then forbidden fruit happened and fig leaves happened and then clothing happened. Nike actually was a Greek Goddess which is an interesting tidbit. But yeah whatever you believe, clothing has changed throughout history and humans do put more significance towards brands than they used to. I never have been a fan of Nike. I never could afford fashion like the rich kids either and honestly grew better for it. Made me realize people are more than just their appearance. Helps getting to know who they are as a person. I did never care for the furry costumes in the game like the bear costume. Some people prefer dressing like animals I guess.

I think people dress mostly because they are cold, and if they have to dress then they might as well have fun with it, so fashion and brands came about. That, or heaven was rather hot all year round and had no creepy crawlies.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,261 EA Community Manager

Yup. While the filter can be a bit overzealous at times, that's one we can't remove I'm afraid.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think people dress mostly because they are cold, and if they have to dress then they might as well have fun with it, so fashion and brands came about. That, or heaven was rather hot all year round and had no creepy crawlies.

Of course we're cold. We're freezing!

Before this entire fig leaf nonsense came about we would have been one big warm happy furry family. The aliens ruined it really. They came along in their flying saucers and took our fur and woolly mammoths away. And now we're getting less hairy by the minute. Talk about Climate Change...

Just look at The Sims 4. That right there folks, is the future of mankind. Carless, Hairless. Babies stuck to Blue Tooth bassinets and all we need to say is "ALEXA, AGE UP", because YES we want babies but we don't really have time for sleepless nights and dirty nappy business since we're too busy building rocketships in our backyards. For what? Why are we building rocketships? That's because we'd need to explore other galaxies to find them troublemakers who stole our fur!

Meanwhile, fashion trends exist. :D
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I‘m dying. People ask for a male fashion kit and EA gives them female fashion for male sims.

HAHAHHHAHAHA too funny
    crocobaura wrote: »

Of course we're cold. We're freezing!

Before this entire fig leaf nonsense came about we would have been one big warm happy furry family. The aliens ruined it really. They came along in their flying saucers and took our fur and woolly mammoths away. And now we're getting less hairy by the minute. Talk about Climate Change...

Just look at The Sims 4. That right there folks, is the future of mankind. Carless, Hairless. Babies stuck to Blue Tooth bassinets and all we need to say is "ALEXA, AGE UP", because YES we want babies but we don't really have time for sleepless nights and dirty nappy business since we're too busy building rocketships in our backyards. For what? Why are we building rocketships? That's because we'd need to explore other galaxies to find them troublemakers who stole our fur!

Meanwhile, fashion trends exist. :D
    I can donate some of my womanly chin, mustache, and arm hair to you if you want. Officially Sims actually wear what is called a skort in fashion which is a combination of the mini skirt and a short, so it is a combination of both masculine and feminine designs. I think I am ok sending the Nike men back to Mars to be alien Martians and start their new colony there away from women. Start with a different climate with their planet man cave.
    I can donate some of my womanly chin, mustache, and arm hair to you if you want.
    No no you’re grand, I still have plenty myself. I was talking about the future of mankind, which I don’t care about. I still live in the hairy past. 😋
    Officially Sims actually wear what is called a skort in fashion which is a combination of the mini skirt and a short, so it is a combination of both masculine and feminine designs.
    Actually… I learned that the man skirt is called a “Mirt”. *🤓
    It would be up to the designers to confirm that the Stefan Cook miniskirt is in fact a skort, but I doubt it is. It’s all just…there. Free to go wherever it wants. Unless underwear. But that would only be half the fun if a dude were to go with the Mirt thingie at all.
    I’d say go Jingle Bells all the way or don’t go at all.
    I think I am ok sending the Nike men back to Mars to be alien Martians and start their new colony there away from women. Start with a different climate with their planet man cave.

Fair enough. But Planet Nike Man Cave wouldn’t be Planet Nike Man Cave without a few ladies. What’s the point otherwise? 😇

*🤓 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dare-you-brave-the-mirt-yes-the-man-skirt-k7lzjlmjh
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Oh, my sweet plumbob, @CAPTAIN_NXR7, you crack me up! A man skirt is called a Mirt?! What a silly name! Who thinks of these things - now I like them even more!

Planet Nike Man Cave sounds great and all, but some of my boyz will visit wearing their mirts, showing their sadly hairless legs - unless wearing tights, of course, which most do - Bob Pancakes in particular thinks the mirt makes his thighs look fat. Funny enough, he doesn't mind wearing shorts, but I digress. I have not inquired re the underwear, being a lady*. :D Since learning about hairy mods they've been giving me reproachful looks but I stand firm - no mods, please, because if I ever started I'd go insane snatching them up and my computer would melt under the strain. Best to stay vanilla.

They are now gazing hopefully at the devs, hoping for proper kilts - they want to get their Braveheart on.

*A Lady who has recently been reading Jane Austen variants, and is therefore struggling to remain in Prim and Proper mode - with mixed success. o:) However no matter where my mind is, I find contemplation of Planet Nike Man Cave to be a pleasant diversion. Would some gents or ladies be wearing furry bikinis (with or without hairy legs)? How I love scenery of that kind!
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I'm sure ai saw pictures on here of male sim in a grey hoodie and a diagonal skirt over trousers, but I don't see that in the new pack when picking garb for Sims. Was that not part of the MM kit?

You may have seen this post in simgirl's positivity thread:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18010062#Comment_18010062
    I posted this a while before the kit came out as an example of what kind of skirts I enjoy on male Sims. As someone already pointed out, the skirt is from EL. But the hoodie in this shot is from DU.

If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member

TBH I find many men happen to have nice legs (that don't nearly get the proper opportunity to show off) and can look really fantastic in either short shorts or skirts.

I remember somewhere watching this one video of this dude putting on a dress for laughs but ended up super hyped/surprised at how good he looked in it and honestly it was super cute.

Fashions come and go depending in the culture. There were times + places where men wore skirts, dresses, gowns, robes or tunics that were dangerously close to dress-like. Its constantly changing.
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    Sorry, but I don't date men who wear skirts and my sim doesn't either. First sim product I did not and will not purchase. :|
    I can donate some of my womanly chin, mustache, and arm hair to you if you want.
    No no you’re grand, I still have plenty myself. I was talking about the future of mankind, which I don’t care about. I still live in the hairy past. 😋
    Officially Sims actually wear what is called a skort in fashion which is a combination of the mini skirt and a short, so it is a combination of both masculine and feminine designs.
    Actually… I learned that the man skirt is called a “Mirt”. *🤓
    It would be up to the designers to confirm that the Stefan Cook miniskirt is in fact a skort, but I doubt it is. It’s all just…there. Free to go wherever it wants. Unless underwear. But that would only be half the fun if a dude were to go with the Mirt thingie at all.
    I’d say go Jingle Bells all the way or don’t go at all.
    I think I am ok sending the Nike men back to Mars to be alien Martians and start their new colony there away from women. Start with a different climate with their planet man cave.

Fair enough. But Planet Nike Man Cave wouldn’t be Planet Nike Man Cave without a few ladies. What’s the point otherwise? 😇

*🤓 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dare-you-brave-the-mirt-yes-the-man-skirt-k7lzjlmjh
    I was talking about the present of mankind. You know how Sims dress up as bears, yeti, flower bunny, etc. That is a furry which isn’t that different from a werewolf with Sims transforming themselves to a furry creature. There are conventions for them and everything.

I don’t think you have seen Sims sit down, it is very kid friendly which beats Sims 3 black hole into the abyss skirts. Sims 4 has fabric that joins the skirts underneath regardless how any designer designs it real life.

First rule in a man cave especially one run by Nike is she only allows two women to dwell on her planet herself and Rona that men brag about so much being with with their planet’s motto my body my right. No alien citizens allowed including women from She Shed Venus. They are just going to have to take some monkeys along and wait on the evolution process to allow the Nike man cave rules. But it is ok they have Tesla robots.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »

TBH I find many men happen to have nice legs (that don't nearly get the proper opportunity to show off) and can look really fantastic in either short shorts or skirts.

I remember somewhere watching this one video of this dude putting on a dress for laughs but ended up super hyped/surprised at how good he looked in it and honestly it was super cute.

Fashions come and go depending in the culture. There were times + places where men wore skirts, dresses, gowns, robes or tunics that were dangerously close to dress-like. Its constantly changing.

That's the trouble with today, nobody comes home from a hard day's warring & swishes about their castle in a fabulous bliaut anymore.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.