Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First Look At NPC Overhaul

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Calling people who give feedback a 'mob' seems veeeeery passive aggressive for no reason at all.

If that was for me; I used the "mob" word because it was already used in this thread. I am all for constructive feedback (nothing negative attached to that), which I assume most complaints has been. My point is more like why should game developers waste their time on details that we can easily do ourselves in CAS, and this is addressing EA more than simmers, for sure.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited November 2021
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Calling people who give feedback a 'mob' seems veeeeery passive aggressive for no reason at all.

If that was for me; I used the "mob" word because it was already used in this thread. I am all for constructive feedback (nothing negative attached to that), which I assume most complaints has been. My point is more like why should game developers waste their time on details that we can easily do ourselves in CAS, and this is addressing EA more than simmers, for sure.
    Not just you, as you said, the 'mob' word has been thrown around a few times and I don't think it's very respectful. Different people have different priorities. Should the devs have worked on this overhaul? Maybe, maybe not. But since they already do, it's fine if people want them to do it how they see right.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I am very curious to see how this plays out (sorrynotsorry for the pun) B)
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    To be honest, why anyone wants S4 Sims to look like their S2 versions baffles me. I’ve always thought S2 Sims all had the same potato face, generally dark coloring and gooky eyes, anyway. S4 CAS is so much better, and all you have to do to make them into your ideal image is select “modify in CAS” and have at it. Could the developers have done a better job of ethnic matching? Maybe. But it’s not that hard to fix if matters to you.

As for matching the lore, this iteration is considered an AU. Lore isn’t the same in an AU. And for new players, there is no lore. If others want a continuation, everything is customizable. Go for it. Make your game your own.

I just really don’t get why this has become such an issue.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2021
    cyncie wrote: »
    To be honest, why anyone wants S4 Sims to look like their S2 versions baffles me. I’ve always thought S2 Sims all had the same potato face, generally dark coloring and gooky eyes, anyway. S4 CAS is so much better, and all you have to do to make them into your ideal image is select “modify in CAS” and have at it. Could the developers have done a better job of ethnic matching? Maybe. But it’s not that hard to fix if matters to you.

As for matching the lore, this iteration is considered an AU. Lore isn’t the same in an AU. And for new players, there is no lore. If others want a continuation, everything is customizable. Go for it. Make your game your own.

The impression that I have gotten is that people were never really happy with the design of some classic premades in the sims4. Maxis saying that the sims4 was an alternate universe was never accepted by many and a lot of people criticized how several of them did not have the same skin colors as previous iterations and it was often something that people tweeted about.

It will be interesting to see what peoples reaction will be when they are finished, I think a lot of people are very attached to these sims. They have been around for over 7 years after all.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    cyncie wrote: »

There are quite a few facial features that were lost between 1 and 2. For example, Diane Pleasant loses her highly defined cheekbones, Michael Bachelor goes from a roundish face to a rectangular one, and loses the Asian eye shape (though to be fair, I recall it being next to impossible to create that look in the Sims 2), Betty Newbie gets a rounder face, Brad Burb suddenly has larger jowels/cheeks. They do try to make a good attempt at Tiffany's chin. However, the only sim we get to play with who was an adult in TS1 is Mortimer Goth, as for some reason they decided to kill everyone else off and replace them with their trashy children (seriously, the only people in Pleasantview in a healthy relationship weren't even living in Pleasantview) so we don't really notice. Even Pleasantview Bella and Strangetown Bella had different faces.

The Sims 2 character creation was pretty limited, and that most of the premades that were new to the Sims 2 used slight variations on Faces 1 and 2 (in contrast to the randomly generated townies who used all 30 faces in their ungodly awfulness) which can contribute to everyone looking similar.

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I really liked the Calientes. Especially Nina! From the few pics posted earlier I think she looks great and reminds me of earlier versions. I have an updated version of Nina in my library but I would happily change her for the new version.

The Goths are deleted in every save so I have no opinion on them.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm pretty much done with complaining and giving feedback, I'm completely over it, It usually takes about 5 days give of take for me to stop caring, if I complain about stuff, it's pretty much over and done with after the first week, plus It's not really worth the hassle.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited November 2021
    btw this is how they are in my game now
    uMCSNud.png
    not exactly match to previous games as I just edited the existing premades tho
    and i don't really care to make them culturally anything because to me sims has its own worlds
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2021
    @Simmingal I like what you did. <3 Way better than the actual in game premades. :)

@cyncie I think the excuse of ''alternate universe'' was just a poor pretext to hid that the game was mismanaged and rushed. Since release, they just play catchup and try to follow ephemeral trends. In my opinion, this is why the game is still not complete to this day. This and $.
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
    @Simmingal
    Wow! Best version I've seen of them. They should use your Sims! <3
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Duvelina wrote: »

Don't worry, I wont be updating from Snowy Escape any time this century so keep it to your chest as much as you like.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

As for Bella, I feel like her face is fine the way it is now, her skin only needs a shade or two up maybe and keep the rest the same. I think the iconic Bella Goth should have an ageless, almost unnatural for her age, beauty. I wish we had more skin detail options in CAS so that we could remove facial lines of adult and elders. (Sometimes we might want to represent cosmetic surgery or unusual vitality.) I feel that Bella should be an Adult but still have the youthful face she has now of a young adult.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.

This is my thoughts exactly on how Bella should look as well. I wouldn't mind if they aged her up to adult, but to me Bella should look like a young adult perpetually, or at least somewhat perpetually. Not 50+ years old like the concept makes her look.

• GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    uMCSNud.png
    and i don't really care to make them culturally anything because to me sims has its own worlds

I really love that hair on Bella! I may need to give my Bella (another) makeover. I always keep her facial features and colourings the same, but like to update her hair and clothing. :smile:
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2021
    I mean people asking for gameplay did ask for more realistic Sims like the Sims 3, so how I am taking it is yes they are taking feedback beyond just Twitter but forums as well for this one. Premades did look shallow and fake before so I am all for making Sims more relatable to what Simmers look like too. Plus not like Simmers don't change Sims to Bratz dolls anyway that all look the same so not going to affect some CAS players much anyways. Just a matter of using a previous made Sim and changing the clothes. Then bam another clone Sim.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I personally don't like any of these new designs. I already liked how these Sims looked, and I don't see why they needed to redesign them. However, I'm sure this will end up happening anyway, even if some people give feedback like mine. I just hope there will be a way to revert them back to the old designs once this Sim design update comes out, as I think they were better looking in the old designs.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    uMCSNud.png

I really love that hair on Bella! I may need to give my Bella (another) makeover. I always keep her facial features and colourings the same, but like to update her hair and clothing. :smile:

yeah i didn't exactly want to give her the hair she had in ts1 I think long hair suits her better but also I wanted to keep ts1 feel somehow so I figured if i put hairdo that makes hair appear shorter and used long hair for some of the other outfits that could be good idea

+ i just kinda associate pretty styled hair with rich people so :lol: I figured it'd suit her
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I'll wait to see what they look like in-game. But if they're anything like the concept art, I'll be reverting back to the original ones.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    It occurred to me while playing Sims 4 after having played Fallout 4 in the same day how much Mortimer Goth looks like Jack Cabot, and now I'm trying to figure a way to bring that Fallout lore into my simworld...
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    May I ask why? Why are they doing this? Why is it necessary? If they wanted to revamp the townies (NPCs to me are non playable characters) why didn't they do the revamps when they 'rebranded' a few years ago. I don't get the 'why' for this. Do they not have enough to do with trying to free babies, add werewolves, animations, interactions, chemistry/attraction system, cars, swimmable waters, world editor, more trait slots, memories, cuddle/spooning, spiral staircases, paint ceilings, etc.

I mean the lists are longer than from here to California. Do they need to prove they can shape Sims better than players? People already made true to form Bella, Mortimer etc. back in 2014 and shared them on the gallery, and they looked more like the older characters we all knew, much better than what we got in the base game. It's like shutting the barn door after the horses are out. What's wrong Maxis, not enough people lately squealing over white shelves?

I don't get it either, Cinebar. And even if they do manage to give us the content we've been waiting for, I don't know if I will add any of it to my game because I haven't updated since August, and I don't want a lot of the stuff in the recent updates anyway. It's been a long seven years of update after update that haven't really added anything new. Some of the so-called 'bug fixes' didn't actually fix anything and the free assets, swatches and scenarios just feel like weak replacements for the content we really want so why bother updating is my biggest question. And those kits? UGH....how many of those are in our future? I purchased one and disabled it two days later because the gameplay was so annoying.

At this point, I think the devs are just throwing anything at us in the hope we will take the bait and be happy. Well, I am not happy and on a personal level I cannot wait for Sims4 to end so I can just play my game in peace. The same thing happened with Sims3 that is happening now with Sims4, just a lot of fluff and not much substance is all I see. Nothing that has been added was added in an orderly manner. It's being thrown at us out of nowhere from every direction. Just bits and pieces that don't fit together in a cohesive fashion at all. And I don't care how the makeovers change the looks of the Goths, the Calientes or any of the other NPCs we've seen in the game for twenty years, I will still delete all of them and replace them with Sims I created.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    It doesn't really matter to me. In any new save I always pull the townies into CAS and change all of their outfits, so I can do a facial tweak or two at the same time
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Other than Bella's lips being far less sultry and full, what the new concepts look like to me, is them trying to un-whitewash the NPCs. Making Bella darker again, I kind of like that Mortimer now looks of a believable age to have a wife and two kids those ages as, not some young struggling adult, but a man with that kind of house. As for the Caliente sisters, they just look less white, which seems fitting to me. I think far too many of the NPCs regardless of their surname and presumed ethnicity, were in appearance extremely white of a Northern European Anglo-Saxon type. I figure this is just their attempt to address the accusations of whitewashed sims.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited January 2022
    What have they done to Bella????? I don't mind the skin tone but what did they do to her FACE????

Made her look more ethnically Hispanic? It's not that difficult to see, you know.

She just looks ugly now. Sorry, but it's true. She can be Hispanic and still be pretty. This isn't it.

Edit- My comment is a little late, but I just seen these... :s:#:|
    He/Him
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    It occurred to me while playing Sims 4 after having played Fallout 4 in the same day how much Mortimer Goth looks like Jack Cabot, and now I'm trying to figure a way to bring that Fallout lore into my simworld...

Everything from the technology and fashion are from the 1950s, and you could probably make Vampires look like ghouls.