Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FIND YOUR-MANY-SELVES IN THE SIMS WITH BRETMAN ROCK

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    This is out there and bizarre, and while I may not play it, I love that this exists.

So do I. I love that the Sims has introduced me to personalities and artists that I wasn't aware of. I've been looking at his social media and find him to be quite engaging. Definitely putting him in my game. And I may have found another candidate for Modern Menswear.

z18UMvb.png
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    First I've ever heard of him, he's not been in any of the numerous YouTube rabbit holes I've fallen down. Not going to impact my own game play and I got the feeling he'll bring a good number of new players (customers) to The Sims.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    My nephew lived with me one year and they were obsessed with YouTubers so I vaguely know who Bretman is. His content isn't for me but I like his style. 🤠 Kinda loved this video too.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sometimes I wonder if their marketing team ever thinks of Simmers outside the anglophone world. From Baby Ariel to Bretman (?) I have never heard of any of their celebs.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited December 2021
    So I'm younger millennial (I think I at least qualify as that) and this definitely makes me feel old cause I'm pretty sure I'm not the target demographic (if not age wise, at least not interests wise. Not invested in youtubers or influencers). But honestly while I don't get the marketing, the guy is cute and seems pretty interesting. And I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

The marketing strat, while I don't "get it;" I get it. In a time of great worldwide struggle, it's especially hard for younger generations growing up in it. Seeing an outlet to live out the lives you wish you could live or explore possibilities is a very smart way to target towards younger generations over time and keep your audience growing/expanding for a franchise. Not to mention the "be the real you" vibe is very geared towards those who really can't fully be themselves irl and I know from experience a lot of people explore aspects of themselves they can't do irl in games (not necessarily for sims mind you, but still).

This kind of clashes with some players who kind of go in with a more detached storyteller playstyle. You ultimately are still playing parts of yourselves via the pixel people on some level, but it's more distant and not as personal. Maybe this is more of a product of older generational marketing (or older players' general playstyle in general) but I don't think either are "wrong."

I see a lot of folks on here confused and going "hey maybe market towards the rest of the world (implying the majority) but, truth is "the rest of us" who don't get this marketing may not be the majority any more. Or at the very least, this isn't for 'us' and that isn't a bad thing. Sometimes it's okay to recognize "yeah this isn't for me" and to just move on.

And for those who are like "why don't they get REAL celebrities for their ads?" Well, truth is these ARE the celebrities of the younger generations. I'm not into TikTok/IG/youtubers/influencer stuff but the truth is that a lot of younger generations grew up on these people (and/or are growing) because of how much they are presently online vs TV/movies/etc (at least compared to previous gens). Just cause we don't identify them doesn't mean they aren't an influence somewhere else.

~~

In general, the use of marketing of real people in the game (especially making sims of irl people) is kind of iffy for me and has been for awhile because these are real people with real lives and put in a game where you can do all sorts of things. It's one thing to make parodies (sims 3 did this) but the complete "yeah this is Baby Ariel/Bretman Rock/Millie Bobby Brown but a sim!" but like made by the company and not a fan-thing is kind of...idk. Crossing some weird boundaries? Can't quite figure out why but it feels off. But on the other hand its a reasonably smart marketing strategy and (I'm assuming) the people being used for it are being paid for it and are consenting to it and don't care. But in general. Something about it in feels off.

I will say though, they probably should've waited until the release of the modern menswear pack before making that Bretman Rock sim. Or at least tweak the in-game clothes in a patch beforehand. That top on his sim version looks atrocious and just reminds me how badly a lot of the "cross-dress" CAS stuff needs tweaking BAD.
    Post edited by BlueR0se on
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Sometimes I wonder if their marketing team ever thinks of Simmers outside the anglophone world. From Baby Ariel to Bretman (?) I have never heard of any of their celebs.

Bretman is Filipino and I'm pretty sure he is well known in the Philippines and other non western countries.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member

I will say though, they probably should've waited until the release of the modern menswear pack before making that Bretman Rock sim. Or at least tweak the in-game clothes in a patch beforehand. That top on his sim version looks atrocious and just reminds me how badly a lot of the "cross-dress" CAS stuff needs tweaking BAD.

Yeah, I feel more distanced from the sims4 than ever before, they are marketing their game (the same game that they sold us in 2014) towards a younger generation and are trying to sell us features that we know are lacking in the game, instead of trying to fix or improve them.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    Sorry, we don't get any of this under my rock.
  • Options
    CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    In general, the use of marketing of real people in the game (especially making sims of irl people) is kind of iffy for me and has been for awhile because these are real people with real lives and put in a game where you can do all sorts of things. It's one thing to make parodies (sims 3 did this) but the complete "yeah this is Baby Ariel/Bretman Rock/Millie Bobby Brown but a sim!" but like made by the company and not a fan-thing is kind of...idk. Crossing some weird boundaries? Can't quite figure out why but it feels off. But on the other hand its a reasonably smart marketing strategy and (I'm assuming) the people being used for it are being paid for it and are consenting to it and don't care. But in general. Something about it in feels off.

This has always weirded me out. They had Drew Carey & Christina Aguilera in Sims 1 (The young folks are asking "Who?" :D ). Real people in Sims is still a bit creepy to me. A little uncanny valley, a little intrusive, I guess?

I do often play my simself, albeit as an astronaut or witch or something, not boring actual me, but also other stories when I want to. But that's me, in my own game.

• Options
    So I'm younger millennial (I think I at least qualify as that) and this definitely makes me feel old cause I'm pretty sure I'm not the target demographic (if not age wise, at least not interests wise. Not invested in youtubers or influencers). But honestly while I don't get the marketing, the guy is cute and seems pretty interesting. And I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

The marketing strat, while I don't "get it;" I get it. In a time of great worldwide struggle, it's especially hard for younger generations growing up in it. Seeing an outlet to live out the lives you wish you could live or explore possibilities is a very smart way to target towards younger generations over time and keep your audience growing/expanding for a franchise. Not to mention the "be the real you" vibe is very geared towards those who really can't fully be themselves irl and I know from experience a lot of people explore aspects of themselves they can't do irl in games (not necessarily for sims mind you, but still).

This kind of clashes with some players who kind of go in with a more detached storyteller playstyle. You ultimately are still playing parts of yourselves via the pixel people on some level, but it's more distant and not as personal. Maybe this is more of a product of older generational marketing (or older players' general playstyle in general) but I don't think either are "wrong."

I see a lot of folks on here confused and going "hey maybe market towards the rest of the world (implying the majority) but, truth is "the rest of us" who don't get this marketing may not be the majority any more. Or at the very least, this isn't for 'us' and that isn't a bad thing. Sometimes it's okay to recognize "yeah this isn't for me" and to just move on.

Also want to add that I don't see how this markets to pre-teens as others have said because I am a full grown adult I knew about him since middle school. I've seen many adults a lot older than me with kids that know him. When talking about younger generations, a lot of us are in university now so I don't get why the sims team wouldn't market towards us. Usually companies market to what's current so I never get what people mean when they ask for ea to market towards the older generations. Like I don't get what kind of marketing that would look like.

But not every celebrity they use to market everyone will know. I think bretman is a better known one since I've seen most ppl know him including me and usually I don't know any of the celebrities they partner with.
  • Options
    Also I am confused because I always see ppl saying they want sims 4 to be more mature but I've seen ppl upset about the spa day refresh trailer singing about twerking and then now I've seen people upset or put off that bretman swears in his videos.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

Also want to add that I don't see how this markets to pre-teens as others have said because I am a full grown adult I knew about him since middle school. I've seen many adults a lot older than me with kids that know him. When talking about younger generations, a lot of us are in university now so I don't get why the sims team wouldn't market towards us. Usually companies market to what's current so I never get what people mean when they ask for ea to market towards the older generations. Like I don't get what kind of marketing that would look like.

But not every celebrity they use to market everyone will know. I think bretman is a better known one since I've seen most ppl know him including me and usually I don't know any of the celebrities they partner with.

Which is why I personally mentioned that if it's not my age demographic that is the difference; it's definitely my interest demographic. The only reason I mentioned younger generations in particular, is because a lot of younger folks are (generally) growing up on media on the internet and less so on TV. Growing up in 90s-early 2000s, it was a lot of pop culture focused on reality TV and general celebrity drama from like movies and TV shows. Nowadays a lot of that is drifting towards youtube, IG, and all the variety of social media platforms and those who star in that. Of course, that isn't even mentioning the culture difference depending on where you live. Internet is global but there are still popularity differences depending where you live.

I've been active online for a long time, but there are times where my younger siblings (by like 8+ years) will ask if I know *insert youtuber/twitch streamer name* and will say they're a very popular person on that platform. And it's like, I'm sure there are plenty of people my age who know them, but I certainly don't and I feel like the younger folks are more likely to know that then older ones. Same thing with like minecraft youtubers. I can't name a single one but I'm kids in high school or early early college can name quite a handful.

I do think there is a major change in direction for the Sims franchise alongside the marketing focus as well. But unfortunately that's the nature of things the longer a game franchise goes on. Nothing is the same forever.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited December 2021
    Well, as I commented earlier, I've never heard of him before, and while I didn't think I was the demographic they were aiming at, I have been captured by the playfulness in some of the photos. Plus, he's adorable as a sim. I downloaded him last night. I think I know which sim I will have him be roommates with - Effie Trinket, one of my home designers. She's going to continue their business in San Myshuno, while her business partner returns to her original home base in Willow Creek. Gold 'n' Trinket Design will now be a franchise!

He'll probably start as a home designer and then - who knows?

Heck, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I am part of the demographic they are aiming at - I guess I'd call it people who want something different in their game, maybe? The Season of Sims has turned into the Season of Trying and Enjoying New Things for me, and I hope it continues.

Edit - oops, Season of Selves, I mean. Simselves.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Can we please have stuff for the 99% of society?

What do you mean by that, specifically?

How about instead of focusing on Simselves so much we get an attraction system. Does it make sense these Sims like anyone at any time? Does it make sense these Sims can flip on a dime and like male or female or other at any time? Many of us don't need to find our many simselves we already know who we are, deep roots and don't even ever play Simselves. The Sims is not me, never has been, never will be. How about focusing on gameplay that makes sense to those of us who don't need to find ourselves.

Does it make sense that a baby Sim is tied to a baby crib? Seriously. Is that life? Where are the strollers and the ability to carry around a baby instead of standing over a crib all day? Where are the dirty jobs in this game? I mean not everyone wants or needs to be a gamer and or their career tied to a pc. How about some regular jobs for Sims. You know, not IT, Youtube, Influencer type careers. How about listening and reading your feedback and ideas here instead of on twitter.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member

All the Sims Series have had real people in the game. I guess its time for a new generation. I feel so old this morning. LOL
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    All the Sims Series have had real people in the game. I guess its time for a new generation. I feel so old this morning. LOL

I'm feeling this also. I think we're going to see more nontraditional packs and even more focus on inclusivity.
  • Options
    suetoopsuetoop Posts: 35 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

How about instead of focusing on Simselves so much we get an attraction system. Does it make sense these Sims like anyone at any time? Does it make sense these Sims can flip on a dime and like male or female or other at any time? Many of us don't need to find our many simselves we already know who we are, deep roots and don't even ever play Simselves. The Sims is not me, never has been, never will be. How about focusing on gameplay that makes sense to those of us who don't need to find ourselves.

Does it make sense that a baby Sim is tied to a baby crib? Seriously. Is that life? Where are the strollers and the ability to carry around a baby instead of standing over a crib all day? Where are the dirty jobs in this game? I mean not everyone wants or needs to be a gamer and or their career tied to a pc. How about some regular jobs for Sims. You know, not IT, Youtube, Influencer type careers. How about listening and reading your feedback and ideas here instead of on twitter.

This is exactly how I feel! I would give this 10 awesomes if I could!
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,333 EA Community Manager

Ignoring the fact that you derailed this thread into a content wishlist, just because you don't see something implemented doesn't mean it wasn't sent up. Change to existing content takes time, creating brand new content takes even more time.
    Many of us don't need to find our many simselves we already know who we are, deep roots and don't even ever play Simselves.
    Statements like these don't work, there are millions of Simmers out there that do play with Simselves and you're completely dismissing them.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2021
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Also I am confused because I always see ppl saying they want sims 4 to be more mature but I've seen ppl upset about the spa day refresh trailer singing about twerking and then now I've seen people upset or put off that bretman swears in his videos.

I've come to the conclusion that someone will always be upset about something 😌
    It's impossible to please everyone.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2021
    The response on social media is pretty positive. Sims 4 is trending on Twitter.

Bretman is available for download on the Gallery.

rO2Vxem.png

Going to download this tonight 👀
    Thanks. I actually love to put real life celebrities in my game because when I tried to make random celebrities they got lost in the crowd of Sims. Like in my mind they were not special if that makes sense. But when I added celebrities like Kim Kardashian and other well known celebrities, even if I'm not a personal fan,
    When I see them pop up at my party with Sims gathered around them I'm like 😱😱😱 feels like a real life celebrity siting lol.

Bretman can join the fun😄
    And now that I think about it I have a few of his outfits in cc form. So this should be a fun CAS night
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited December 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Never heard of Breatman before, and this campaign is aimed at his followers that will hopefully find themselves in TS4.
    I think car drivers and mechanics need proper representation in TS4. Surfers too. Definitely not enough representation for them either. Especially with some really nice beaches being closed to swimming and all that. How can one find their surfer or racing self if there are no surf boards and cars? 😊