Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do Different Opinions Bother You?

2...Next

Comments

• SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    Different opinions do not bother me but like some others have said Its how the difference of opinion is expressed that makes the difference.
    As its been said many times, its not what you say, but how you say it and its not what you do but how you do it.
    What does bother me is preconceptions and judgments (usually wrong) of people that they don't know.
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I realize that if this is the case, it would be an unpopular opinion to share so this poll is anonymous in the hopes of making it easier. I am curious after all, because I encounter this online and IRL. If I dislike something (and I am leaning much more towards popular culture here instead of serious topics, but do what you will) a friend (or stranger) loves, I'm pretty honest about it by nature.

Obviously no one should be mean or force the conversation in that direction, and I have no reason to, but for an example that sticks with me a childhood friend and I had a conversation about Steven Universe the show (back when it quite early in airing). We were not children, but younger college students and we had a history together. You would think her bringing up the topic because she loved the show and me admitting that I could not really hold a conversation about it because the first episode felt childish enough for me not to be able to get into it (I didn't like the art style and the commercials' humor never really landed either) would have simply moved us to another topic. What happened instead is you would have thought I had called her childish directly, or honestly worse. The conversation was over there and then, and somehow it was one of the last conversations we ever had together.

Because of that, even though this is not the first time I have ever encountered someone to take this sort of interest divergence as a personal attack, the incident has always been something I have thought of whenever I see similar occurrences. Believe me, at the time I felt genuinely bad. She was my friend and I had never meant to insult her, especially over a show, and I remember apologizing immediately upon noticing her feelings. I tried to think of other words that would have been better, since I realize that she had perhaps had her interests dismissed as childish in the past. (Then again, who hasn't?) However, as time passed I genuinely wondered if I was all at fault here. Obviously going out of your way to call someone else's interest childish is wrong, but when explaining why I did not connect with something (that was and is generally considered a childrens' show) was it really so unforgiveable to use that word or was it not sharing the interest itself the problem?

Anyway, it always makes me curious as to what is going on in someone's head whenever I see a reaction like that. Probably because I was never able to figure out what was going on in hers. Most recently, I saw a single person responding to any and all slightly maligned comments on a Far Cry 6 (comedic, no less) video review in defense of the game. I've learned to expect similar things online and have been on the receiving end of such, but in my experience it really does not end just on the screen. I can understand to some degree why it hurts for a friend to not have a shared interest. When you do, it can be great to share in those memories and activities. However, perhaps because I am kind of used to having quite secluded interests from a young age, it is hard for me to imagine losing sleep over the fact that someone I consider a friend does not like the Sims for example.

What about everyone else? Does it hurt in a personal way I just cannot understand and I should have been extra careful with my words, even amongst friends, or do you also feel neutrally about others' disinterest?

Some people just take comments personally, as if its a personal attack on them.
    If you apologized, there is nothing much left to do but hope she can accept that, if not now in time.
    Its a matter of maturity, and we all reach that level at different times in our lives.
    Please don't beat yourself up about it, its sad it happened, and understandable it bothers you, but its really not your fault.
    Every person has a different viewpoint or perspective and there aren't any who like exactly the same things. We are all different in many respects.
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2021
    Same as DeKay. But if the wrong opinions are too "not fit to be seen", I may reason with them unless I feel/found unable to communicate (I'm unexplainably accurate in this respect)
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns