Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update today: Are you ready?

How are you preparing for today's update? Are you excited for it, or dreading it?

I confess I'm dreading it. I have automatic updates turned off, and I might even disconnect my internet out of an abundance of caution. I will definitely be playing offline until mods are updated, and I'll probably be hanging out on Discord watching the players implode and the helpers have mini nervous breakdowns on Deaderpool's Discord.

What are you doing?
HcmCUds.jpg
Life needs an undo button.

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I always have auto-updates off, and I always go offline during update cycles. I sort of dread this one, so I'll be taking my time before updating. I'll be playing offline until I'm confident that the Neighborhood Stories thing won't kill my play style (and in turn my reasons for playing this game). I'll be pleasantly relieved if I get my internal doomsday clock switched off in the end. ;) But first I'll be catching up on some sleep!
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I backed up my mod folder to my external drive and emptied the actual mod folder. I will play my vanilla save until everything is updated. I'm about due for a CC refresh, so I might just rebuild the mod folder from scratch with this round of updates.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,402 Member
    One of the big advantages of sims 4 over sims 3 was the absence of story progression, for me at least. I know there are simmers who love story progression.
    I will wait for now and read about other players experiences and broken mod. Once I feel it is safe for the sims I care about and and my must have mods are working, I will update.

I think the future version with options sounds very good. This first version however sounds like it will interrupt my game a lot with pop ups. But maybe I will be proven wrong and the update goes well. All I need/want is a way to turn it off for played households.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited November 2021
    Nope, not ready. I think I'll wait a few days and see what the general consensus is regarding bugs/broken items/neighborhood progression...
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    I'm totally curious and interested. I still made a backup of my current save games just in case.
    gen3-banner.png
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    I'll definitely be waiting. I'm not patched up to date as it is. 😄
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited November 2021
    I totally forgot :sweat_smile:

but I'll probably update tomorrow unless i see lot of people having issues with the update (its too late for me to play today anyway)

I also backed up some game files yesterday coincidentally but I'll probably want to redo that cause ive been messing in game today too

do hope theres toggles though cause i play pretty much every household in my game and i don't really want them to go have life of their own at least not right now when I'm still plotting all kinds of stuff for them
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I'm excited but not quite ready. Have a few things I want to do in game this morning before the patch.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I think I'm looking forward to it, but I'm still a little unsure right now. I've set my console to offline and am going to wait and see what other Simmers say about it before I give it a go. I will definitely give it a go, though. :smile:
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I am offline and will wait to see what happens. Meanwhile, I have a playable and mostly predictable game.

It's a shame there is no kind of compatibility mode so that patch changes don't kick in until you start a new save or manually upgrade an older save. I would like to keep my playable version but have a mess around in a new vanilla save to see changes.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I always have auto-updates off, and I always go offline during update cycles. I sort of dread this one, so I'll be taking my time before updating. I'll be playing offline until I'm confident that the Neighborhood Stories thing won't kill my play style (and in turn my reasons for playing this game). I'll be pleasantly relieved if I get my internal doomsday clock switched off in the end. ;) But first I'll be catching up on some sleep!
    Yes, I always have auto updates off too. I don't think I've ever updated on patch day. Enjoy your sleep!
    FurAndYarn wrote: »
    I backed up my mod folder to my external drive and emptied the actual mod folder. I will play my vanilla save until everything is updated. I'm about due for a CC refresh, so I might just rebuild the mod folder from scratch with this round of updates.
    Ah, I could never ditch all my mods and start over. I get rid of ones I don't like right away and the ones that are left I could never do without. It is different with CC, though. Have fun CC shopping. :smile:
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    One of the big advantages of sims 4 over sims 3 was the absence of story progression, for me at least. I know there are simmers who love story progression.
    I will wait for now and read about other players experiences and broken mod. Once I feel it is safe for the sims I care about and and my must have mods are working, I will update.

I think the future version with options sounds very good. This first version however sounds like it will interrupt my game a lot with pop ups. But maybe I will be proven wrong and the update goes well. All I need/want is a way to turn it off for played households.
    I pretty much agree with all of this. I love story progression, but not EA's version. I turned their story progress off in S3 and used NRAAS mods instead. Now I'm dreading what this update with do with MCCC, which I value to the depths of my heart. And I agree, we need a toggle to turn it off (Sims 3 had one, so why not?) and more popup phone calls sounds ... not at all good.
    Astro wrote: »
    Nope, not ready. I think I'll wait a few days and see what the general consensus is regarding bugs/broken items/neighborhood progression...
    Amen, my plan exactly. Only I fear this one will take modders more than just a few days. :cry: Which is the main reason I'm dreading it so.
    I'm totally curious and interested. I still made a backup of my current save games just in case.
    I hope it's everything you and everyone else who wants it are hoping for. :smile:
    I'll definitely be waiting. I'm not patched up to date as it is. 😄
    I am fully patched at this point, but not for much longer haha.
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I totally forgot :sweat_smile:

but I'll probably update tomorrow unless i see lot of people having issues with the update (its too late for me to play today anyway)

I also backed up some game files yesterday coincidentally but I'll probably want to redo that cause ive been messing in game today too

do hope theres toggles though cause i play pretty much every household in my game and i don't really want them to go have life of their own at least not right now when I'm still plotting all kinds of stuff for them
    Gosh, no way I could forget about this one, I've been scared about it since they announced! I don't play rotationally so I honestly don't much care what everyone except my main family gets up to, but I understand your point and would totally feel the same if I did play more than one household.
    I'm excited but not quite ready. Have a few things I want to do in game this morning before the patch.
    I'm glad you're excited, I hope EA doesn't let anyone down. I know there's people who've wanted SP for a long time and I'm happy they're getting it, but at risk of being Debbie Downer, I just don't trust EA to implement it in a way that works and makes sense.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I moved my second save sim back into the main family household so I'm back to one save, one household. I have a total of 81 sims in my game. 6 of them are my playable household. The remaining 75 sims make up 30 households of relatives and friends. I'm a little bit concerned that I don't have enough sims to actually see much of a difference in neighborhood progression. I may have to add more households, single sims, married sims with no children, etc.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I am excited. I love the idea of a story progression and I honestly love the idea that it is ME choosing it for unplayed (or not active) sims! I don't mind getting calls or texts. It's a small price to pay for such feature.
    I haven't been that excited for a sims update basically since we got toddlers. I actually might cancel my daily Phasmophobia session as the patch drops only an hour before I start to play Phasmo. I don't think one hour is enough to test the feature and I really don't want to wait till tomorrow. Oh my, what do I do?
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 783 Member
    Looking forward to both the Sims 4 update and the Minecraft 1.18 update(they both happen today)!
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I won’t be updating today. I am just not that excited for it. Currently I am taking a break from the Sims 4 because I’m playing the Sims 2.
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm wondering how the story progression update will affect how story progression works with MCCC.

I can't update today, due to lack of internet, but I usually don't hold off very long. So far, since I started install mods in around August, none of my mods have broken, interestingly.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    Going offline and staying until I know things are clear for glitches/bugs and stuff. With major updates like these something ALWAYS majorily breaks and will be like that for months.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    I don't play with mods, so I'm excited to see how this neighborhood stories will turn out. It will add some depth to the Sims that my Time Lord has befriended, especially the Watson family whose son Imran joined my TL in his time travel adventures.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2021
    I will put aside my main rotational save until a certain mod is updated (otherwise some traits and skills will be lost), which hopefully won’t take that long. Maybe now is a good time to return to my Cottage Living Rags to Ranches save where I only play one family. I’m interested in testing this new feature out for myself. I want to know all the pros and cons and how it really works before I decide whether I like it or not. Then I’ll still have to test it in rotational play. It might be a while before I know how I feel about it. And then they’ll be releasing part 2. It’s really annoying that they can’t just wait until it’s ready to implement with all the intended features.

I don’t really want to play in offline mode because I would miss having access to the gallery.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Thanks for the reminder! I just backed up my files.
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    I’m both super excited and waiting until at least the weekend to update. I play with a lot of mods, so I’ll just wait until updates come through. I like MCCC’s story progression, but also I wouldn’t mind controlling it a bit more. I’ve got my internet disconnected and my game minimized in the background just to be safe.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I both am and am not. I don't use mods so I have nothing to lose unless it is a save game breaker (and it could very well be), but I also don't like story progression anyway so I have no reason to rush and update.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    It seems like really small changes. Mainly EP features brought to the base game and polished a little. So I'm not worried about this first neighbourhood stories update. I play without mods. I'm going to take a backup save anyway.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I don't really rely on mods. I removed MCCC again a week ago and the rest are small mods, some of which may break and some will not. I am looking forward to the patch.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • KBetelgeuseKBetelgeuse Posts: 74 Member
    Whenever there is a update, I move my mods folder to another drive till its done. After the update, I'll run the game once and then try coping the mods folder back in to see what is broke. That way, I don't lose my mods and if i need to reinstall the game for any reason, the folder will still be safe until i can put them back.