Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mod newbie in search of some guidance!

Hey everyone! So I have never used mods or CC in any of my Sims games (and I've been playing for decades), mostly because I've always had lower end computers and I didn't want my game lagging any more than it already was. However, I just got a brand new gaming laptop that is running the Sims 4 on Ultra graphics settings without a single issue (so excited)! So because I finally have a computer that can run the game without any issues, I thought I would try adding a mod or two and see how it goes!

That being said, I started searching, and immediately became overwhelmed :o I could really use some guidance.

What would be a few good "starter" mods you would recommend? I know there is a really popular mod that many people use to add/change gameplay, be able to access cheats much easier, etc. I think it starts with an "M", but I can't remember the name of it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!! <3

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I would suggest first thinking about your favorite way to play, and then paying attention to things you wish you could change, which things you'd like more of (or less of), and so on. Depending on your own preferences, you might find that you really just want to make things look nicer, or perhaps you'd just like to add a little extra to spice up things you already like. But before you start downloading things, be sure to read up on what kinds of mods/CC there are and what they can and cannot do. Most importantly, take your time. Go with a little at a time until you get used to it. Getting prepared before you start is the boring part for some, but being prepared is essential. :)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,574 Member
    I'd say it depends pretty much on what kind of player you are.

I for one have never used the popular MCCC and I wouldn't consider it a good starter mod because you'll go through some trial and error before you find the right settings for your games. But I also know that there are a lot of Simmers who wouldn't play without that mod.

If I were in your position, I'd probably beginn with some less sophisticated mod and start by scrolling through the pages of some popular modders and watch out for mods that particularly appeal to my playstyle.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • noclue642noclue642 Posts: 260 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I would suggest first thinking about your favorite way to play, and then paying attention to things you wish you could change, which things you'd like more of (or less of), and so on. Depending on your own preferences, you might find that you really just want to make things look nicer, or perhaps you'd just like to add a little extra to spice up things you already like. But before you start downloading things, be sure to read up on what kinds of mods/CC there are and what they can and cannot do. Most importantly, take your time. Go with a little at a time until you get used to it. Getting prepared before you start is the boring part for some, but being prepared is essential. :)

Great advice, thank you!

Mostly I just want easier access to cheats, and generally just some gameplay enhancements. For the last couple of years, live mode was essentially unplayable on my old laptop due to the lag. Build mode & CAS worked enough to where I could at least create, I just couldn't play with my creations. However, now that I have a PC that runs the game (like a DREAM I might add lol), I'm going to be playing in live mode a bunch to make up for some lost time (I just spent the last few days exploring Snowy Escape for the first time and really enjoyed it)!

I know there is a popular mod that a lot of people use to be able to access cheats easier and be able to control NPC sims easier... I think it's called control center or something like that. I also saw a mod on a few different build videos on YouTube where you have a red shelf thingy to be able to add clutter to counters and shelves easier. Those are the two mods I know that I want. I would also love to find a mod to be able to change the weather and seasons if one exists.

The graphics in my game look fantastic, probably because I'm used to laggy medium-setting graphics on my old PC lol. So I'm not looking for any graphics mods or anything like that. I'm really just looking for mods to enhance live mode features that already exist, and maybe that cool red shelf mod that makes adding clutter to counters easier in build mode.

Thanks again for your advice though! I will definitely read up on mod information before installing, and will install things one at a time and build up my game slowly.
  • sophiesmithsimmersophiesmithsimmer Posts: 24 Member
    MCCC is pretty complicated but there are a ton of people using it, so there are a lot of great guides on YouTube for getting the settings exactly how you want. I like MCCC because of the story progression, which means that the mod will keep your world vibrant by marrying NPCs, having them have babies, etc. It can be pretty overwhelming if you leave all the default settings but like I said it's actually pretty easy to figure out the right settings.

The first mod I ever downloaded is Wonderful Whims, it's a PG-version of another mod that I won't mention here (it's certainly not rated E haha), it adds an attraction system and fun moodlets to go along with it. I usually disable all the settings except for the attraction system, for me it just makes my Sims more realistic if they're actually attracted to other Sims based on their appearance.

In terms of easier access to cheats, MCCC will do this, but a lot of people use UI Cheats Extension by weerbesu - I don't use it but I believe it lets you do things like click on a Sim's needs bar to raise it and click on their skills to raise them, etc. I use MCCC to do this if I am trying to skill up some townies.
  • sophiesmithsimmersophiesmithsimmer Posts: 24 Member
    > @noclue642 said:
    > Great advice, thank you!

>
    > I know there is a popular mod that a lot of people use to be able to access cheats easier and be able to control NPC sims easier... I think it's called control center or something like that. I also saw a mod on a few different build videos on YouTube where you have a red shelf thingy to be able to add clutter to counters and shelves easier. Those are the two mods I know that I want. I would also love to find a mod to be able to change the weather and seasons if one exists.

Yes! Sorry for the double comment but I skimmed through your reply and missed this; MCCC is the MC Control Centre you speak of. You can change the weather and seasons with it too- MCCC has a few different menus, one pops up from the computer and that's how you change the main settings. One pops up when you click the Sim, and that is how you cheat careers, skills, needs, etc. You can enable clicking a gnome to teleport a sim. And finally, you can click the mailbox to find a menu that changes the weather and also can fix the needs of all sims on lot or in household I believe.
  • CarvedCrayonRosesCarvedCrayonRoses Posts: 17 Member
    If you're interested in easier cheats, I know there's a UI cheats mod out there that lets you directly edit things just by clicking on UI elements. (Like editing money or getting rid of moodlets)
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,110 Member
    Yeah, MCC and UI Cheats are two of the like, 4 mods I use. I personally couldn't play without them!
  • AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    I CANNOT figure out how to start a thread of my own here on the forum and I have searched everywhere (yes, Google) and I cannot find an answer to a question that I have about CC; I just downloaded some CC furniture for the very first time ever in Sims 4 (I have owned/played every PC iteration of the Sims) and a few of the items have a red house (with white stripes) icon on the bottom right side of the object's thumbnail in the build mode catalog. What does this mean? Thank you in advance. I am sure that this is a very simple question/answer. I apologize PROFUSELY for attempting to hijack someone else's thread.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    What is your play style? Do you play more with singles or families? There are so many mods so it's really important that you really consider how you'll use any mod you plan to download. I strongly recommend checking out some of the simmers on YouTube and their mod reviews. They will generally give you an in-depth look at the mod and show you how it works before you download it. Is there a mod that you wished you had when you were playing? That's probably how most simmers who mod their games go about it, I know I do. Keep in mind that when you use mods it means you have to keep them updated.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I CANNOT figure out how to start a thread of my own here on the forum and I have searched everywhere (yes, Google) and I cannot find an answer to a question that I have about CC; I just downloaded some CC furniture for the very first time ever in Sims 4 (I have owned/played every PC iteration of the Sims) and a few of the items have a red house (with white stripes) icon on the bottom right side of the object's thumbnail in the build mode catalog. What does this mean? Thank you in advance. I am sure that this is a very simple question/answer. I apologize PROFUSELY for attempting to hijack someone else's thread.

That's just likely some CC creator's personal little "symbol". Like their own Brand.

And you'll get the ability to make posts once you reply more. It keeps out spammers from bombarding the forums with their crap.
  • AnnabellaroseAnnabellarose Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to answer my question. Thank you. I was (am still) confused by the symbol (I guess it's more of a symbol than an icon) on the thumbnails of the objects because I could see the objects in the catalog and when I tried to put one of the objects in a game I could see it and my sim was able to interact with the object (I tried a chair), but the symbol being red with slashmarks through it made me think the symbol must be an error symbol.