Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Loosing sims game

Over the weekend my laptop got corrupted somehow and now I’ve lost all my sims files. My laptop is being fixed but I now need to start afresh with the game. I don’t know why I’m posting this but I feel so dejected. My main save was 3 years old and the best save I have ever had. I cannot re-create it and don’t want to. Previously I lost sims 3 due to my old laptop breaking but that save wasn’t that old so i just missed the game not the save. I guess what I am asking is has anyone else had a similar thing happen and feel as though you don’t know what to do next?

Comments

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I've been there. Not three years worth, but a full year. I was so wrapped up in this family and all the generations, which is so unusual for me because I rarely get that attached to my pixel people but every single generation of this family tugged at my heartstrings. We had a power outage one night over the summer that wiped out my whole pc. Fried everything. I'm guessing there was some sort of surge and I didn't realize my surge protector had stopped working. Lost my whole pc with all my data including my sims files. When I got the new pc and had to start all over again it was so hard!

I'd start up my game and just stare at the loading screen then log out. I had no idea where to begin again. Finally I just opened up the game and randomized every aspect of a new sim and started again. I haven't managed to find a sim(s) yet that I feel as strongly about as that family, but the new scenarios are helping.

I hope you are able to find a starting point and enjoy the game again soon!
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    I understand I've never been able to build up years of content cause I've had problems with computers in the past before getting a stable one. Sometimes they really don't matter sure, some gamers may not ever care, okay fine but when these little pixels matter it tanks when they are taken and it's out of our control. It also is kind of pain if you have internet issues that would have stopped you from saving a little on the gallery for yourself I have lost families I couldn't really recreate if I tried and I still remember them. I would take a break from the game then make my favorite generic idea, like if I remember a big family most that day maybe have a few couples to be friends and let their kids hang out, or just a bunch of singles to blend together, maybe even just build whatever came up.

Sorry that happened.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Sorry that happened. I hope you can find a story you like.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    edited November 2021
    So sorry. I lost a year long save this fall. I made the best of it by rebooting the story a bit. I was luckily playing mostly premades, so I was able to download them from the gallery and cheat them up to the skills and relationships they had before. I also use gallery lots, so that was easy to reclaim. It was time consuming to get it back, but it was worth it. Some things were noticeably different in the Sims personalities due to different hidden traits, and even with cheated relationships the interactions were slightly different. But I’ve been happy with the reboot. The world is cleaner and the story is going in some new directions because it was a fresh start. Good news is that my brother was able to pull my old files off the computer, so if I want them, I can go back. Right now I’m pretty happy, though.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Thank you for everyone’s advice and kind words. I’m thinking of playing a pre-made and go from there. Usually I always start as my simself but as the save I lost was so intertwined I think I need a break from generational gameplay.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,253 EA Community Manager
    netney52 wrote: »
    Over the weekend my laptop got corrupted somehow and now I’ve lost all my sims files. My laptop is being fixed but I now need to start afresh with the game. I don’t know why I’m posting this but I feel so dejected. My main save was 3 years old and the best save I have ever had. I cannot re-create it and don’t want to. Previously I lost sims 3 due to my old laptop breaking but that save wasn’t that old so i just missed the game not the save. I guess what I am asking is has anyone else had a similar thing happen and feel as though you don’t know what to do next?

:'( I'm so sorry this happened to you! While this advice comes a little late for you, it's always a good idea to periodically back up your save files for all your games.

I learned this the hard way after losing a 400+ hour Fallout: New Vegas save. #NeverAgain
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    While I haven't really lost my Sims, I have lost the saves I was playing. In fact, the patches keep setting me back. I'm still not back to where I was last March! My Global Superstar and his siblings were Uni Graduates, all married, all had separate jobs (careers, really) and my Global Superstar was the father of six kids. The eldest three had just turned Teens, the son and his younger twin sisters. I had two Child Sims and the youngest was a Toddler and had just become a Child when Mount Vesuvius (a Patch) landed and laid my save to waste. Yes, I had back-ups, but part of the problem was of my own doing. I used a mod that wasn't deemed compatible. Face/palm. So, it turned to ash.

Now, I am the Queen of Restarts. Not everybody can just pick up where they left off and begin again. I'm just royally stubborn and a writer who is used to trashing a whole chapter or even to Redraft the whole novel, if needed. Revision is really more for the experienced author. Redraft for the newbies, like myself. But, it can also feel so good when the original story goes awry. Just be aware that the story will likely never play out the way it did in the original. Just be willing to go with the flow or create a brand new Sim and go from there. I would advise, however, that you start a brand new save.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

I'm sorry @netney52 I know how it feels :( Year ago I lose an almost 3 years old save (due to a bad backup). I only play one save, a rotational one. All my stories, sims and a few lots were gone. At first i didn't want to play again.

But all the hours that I enjoy with that save were real. I know Sims is only a game but I have good memories of all my saves (since Sims 2). Those memories are part of me. I'm a simmer after all :#

I started a new save, with new sims. I did not try to replicate the old one. Today that save is a 4 years old save. It is not better or worst that the lost one: is different, is unique. I love it.

I know that maybe I will need to start a new one soon. For now my save is still working with any issues, but I feel a little lag now.

In games or in RL we will always lose something or someone, but new things are waiting in front of us.

Start a new save, go for new stories and have fun o:)
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Thank you @GalacticGal @EA_Cade and @emere for your kind words. I was thinking for a while to get a external hardrive and now wish I had gotten one. For now I plan to play some of the pre-mades but I am sure I will revert back to my old playstyle of my simself.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,547 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    Thank you @GalacticGal @EA_Cade and @emere for your kind words. I was thinking for a while to get a external hardrive and now wish I had gotten one. For now I plan to play some of the pre-mades but I am sure I will revert back to my old playstyle of my simself.

I save mine to a flash drive now. No need for a hard drive just for saves.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member

Oh no I'm so sorry. This happened to me a while ago. Literally every Sim and lot I ever built I had saved to the gallery and then my computer died and so I bought a laptop and discovered that unless you "share" your creations on the gallery, they are not really saved online in the my library part of the gallery. :confounded: Took me months to recover from the shock. I still get upset over some lost Sims when I think of them. I miss their little faces!! :cry: I'm still recreating families as best I can and rebuilding lots. I have an external drive for my laptop so hopefully it won't happen again.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    I'm so sorry it happened to you. It must suck. 3 years omg.

I save them on cloud, and also I have a USB just in case.