Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should they add "Food" in the "Likes and Dislikes" panel?

Comments

• phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Yes, with extra toppings please.
    @EmmaVane I was thinking categories, too. Yours work well,
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    No, I'm quite full.
    I'm a lazy simmer--I'll have my sims make hot dogs or hamburgers on the grill, and that's all they'll eat for the next week or so. I don't care if they like it or not, they're eating it anyways lol
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,776 Member
    No, I'm quite full.
    Lag in fridge is enough big already, I can imagine how it would be if game has to "think" about what the active sim likes or not.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Yes, but I'd do it under categories instead of individual dishes. Like...
    • (Ethnicity) Italian/French/Mexican/Chinese etc.
    • (Protein Pref) Carnivore/Pescatarian/Vegetarian/Vegan etc.
    • (Dietary Restrictions) Nut allergy/Seafood allergy/Latose-intolerant/Gluten intolerant etc.
    • (Flavour Profiles) Sweet/Sour/Bitter/Salty/Umami.

So someone could be a veggie, with a penchant for French food, no allergies/intolerances and a sweet tooth. Or a meat-loving carnivore who loves Mexican but hates Italian, has a nut allergy and is all about the umami.

This system would also transfer current dietary traits to preferences and free up a trait slot.

Yeah, I'd be up for something like that - categories rather than singular dishes.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    nastyjman wrote: »
    Just thinking about this while my sims eat at a restaurant that played Classical music. My sim thought he despised such music, so I gave him that dislike. I think it would be fun as well if sims were to decide whether they like or dislike certain dishes.

For example, your sim family gathers to the table and eats Spaghetti for the nth time in your game. Sonny Jim loves Spaghetti, but Billie Jane abhors it. What is Mama Chrissy to do with her children? Should Mama Chrissy cook spaghetti and then another dish just to accommodate Billie Jane?

Another example, your sim is out on a date. They eat and your sim decides that the Pasta Primevera is Pasta Yucky-very. Should your sim plow through his dish? Or should he ask for the dish to be taken away and order another dish. Or ask a refund. Or kick up a scene and harangue the chef and proceed to get beaten by the buff chef.

Final example, your sim is stuck at an island, and the gods of the Sim Universe had cursed him with "Simple Living" and "Off-The-Grid". Their only way to survive is to fish for their food. They catch one, cook it and decide they hate fish. But they have to force themselves to eat it or risk getting a visit from Grim.

Lots of story potential with this. Of course you can always uncheck them from CAS, but it would be a lot of fun to watch your sim build their tastebuds or lack thereof.

I like the idea 😎🎉💪.
    Also Sims could more conversation about food topics etc!

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • ExhausedGeminiExhausedGemini Posts: 2 New Member
    Honestly Lactose-Intolerant and Vegetarian should have been a food preference and not a trait in the first place. Sure I know some people who make being Vegan their entire personality but it doesn't mean everyone's like that (or should be).

Having a fave food would be complex given the abundance of dishes (in-game and CC) there are, but a generalized food preference could be cool. Maybe my sim is a sweet tooth? Maybe my sim is a spice hound? Maybe my sim is a picky eater or a pescatarian. These all feel more like "lifestyles" than "likes/dislikes" (see the Junk Food and Health Nut lifestyles) but that's locked for simmers who own Snowy Escape.

To sum it up, as much as I'd like it I don't see it happening without mods. 🤷‍♂️
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    Given how many meals there are (~500), it might be wise to exclude at least some categories like baking skill recipes, cupcakes, ice cream, popcorn, canning, unlockables (food stalls, experimental), appetizers/desserts, vegetarian variants (making them only available if trait present) etc.

What do you think?
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    One thing I would like would be if vegetarian or lactose intolerant sims had the other food groups greyed out so they didn't cook them. I keep forgetting and accidentally feeding my vegetarians the wrong food.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited November 2021
    kusurusu wrote: »
    Given how many meals there are (~500), it might be wise to exclude at least some categories like baking skill recipes, cupcakes, ice cream, popcorn, canning, unlockables (food stalls, experimental), appetizers/desserts, vegetarian variants (making them only available if trait present) etc.

What do you think?

Was thinking about this as well. Maybe Food Stall foods is a category by itself; roleplay-wise, your sim is hesitant with foods prepared outside of a proper restaurant. Same with experimental dishes; I know people who won't try new things and are happy with a plain ole burger.

@EmmaVane is right on the simoleons that we should condense it.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • LadyAmayleeLadyAmaylee Posts: 24 Member
    I would love to be able to pick my sims' favourite foods. And of course the ones that they'd refuse to eat altogether~! Loving this post.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Yes it was cute, when a Sim clapped their hands while eating their favourite dish. It could also work with whims, if they will ever be worked on and pregnant sims having special food likings during pregnancy.

Sims should also immediatly stop eating when its a food that they can eat or dont like to and get a negative moodlet.
    edited November 2021
    PreCiious wrote: »
    Yes it was cute, when a Sim clapped their hands while eating their favourite dish. It could also work with whims, if they will ever be worked on and pregnant sims having special food likings during pregnancy.

Sims should also immediatly stop eating when its a food that they can eat or dont like to and get a negative moodlet.

This reminds me of Experimental Foods, where some sims get a negative moodlet while others get a positive moodlet. I think having a Like/Dislike for food could take away the guesswork on Expiremental dishes.

And maybe the negative moodlets can vary as well. If Kids and Teens eat a food they dislike, they get Angry instead. If a sim eats a dessert they dislike, they get Sad instead.

If they eat a dessert they like, they get Playful. "Death by Chocolate" could be literal for a Hysterical sim.
  • ViolettaVioletta Posts: 29 Member
    Yes. As soon as I found out we were getting a likes/dislikes system, food was the one thing I hoped would be added. I agree with those who said they don't want pop ups every time their sim eats a new food. I wouldn't mind having to scroll through a list of foods in CAS though, or having them sorted by type.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited November 2021
    As someone with celiac disease myself, food allergies and intolerances should be traits, but food and vegetable choices that don't depend on getting sick or not getting sick, should be likes and dislikes, including strongly like, like, neutral, dislike, strongly dislike. Vegans would be strongly dislike meat, and would get related moodlets just like the child of the ocean if they accidentally ate it. Vegetarians would dislike and avoid meat, but there are also subgroups of vegetarians: ones that eat dairy, ones that eat eggs, a few that only eat seafood (nothing with a face). Then there are those on the no-red-meat diet. And the ones on the no-sugar diet. And the ones on the low-sodium diet. Considering certain actual health conditions, there could be a chance card that a doctor advises a certain diet is needed for the Sim to stay healthy. After that, side effect moodlets show up after eating the banned foods, but if it is a food the Sim likes, the Sim will also get a mild sad moodlet when they have not eaten it for awhile (similar to the ones that the materialists have when they haven't bought anything new for awhile).

On the other hand, foods like soy milk, kale, protein smoothies, watermelon sweet pickles, veggie burgers, or other disliked foods would give a "that's disgusting" moodlet, or if eaten the first time, "what did I just eat" just like the neighbor's fruitcake.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • xxboahancockxxboahancock Posts: 21 Member
    @nastyjman I will vote for YES a hundred times! All the scenarios you've given I imagined already.

It will be fun also once Mama Chrissy decides to cook Spaghetti only, and then Billie Jane would resent her mother for thinking that Mama Chrissy loves Sonny Jim more than her, then it would slightly affect their relationship.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm always for anything that can help shape and add personality to my S4 sims. I love the emotions and the multitasking but I've NEVER felt like the sims felt individually unique in any real way.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I'm always for anything that can help shape and add personality to my S4 sims. I love the emotions and the multitasking but I've NEVER felt like the sims felt individually unique in any real way.

I currently have a rule that when my Sim asks if they like or dislike something, I have to accept no matter what.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I voted yes, but in fact I'd prefer sims to have a preference for the ingredients or groups of recipes. There are so many recipes, and some of them are actually quite similar. If a sim hates xxx bread I think he could also hate yyy bread. Or pasta in general, regardless of the sauce. Like/dislike anything with ingredients of vegetables/fruits/red meat/white meat/fish/milk etc might be fun too. I mean, if my sim likes a rare dish, he will probably never ever get to eat it again anyway ;) Maybe the like/dislike dishes could be restricted to a limited number of base game dishes (assuming those are more common dishes?)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Crimson_Angel_41Crimson_Angel_41 Posts: 24 Member
    yes please do because i like to have my sims like me
  • Crimson_Angel_41Crimson_Angel_41 Posts: 24 Member
    i aslo i would like 2 servings option besides the single, 4, and 8 serving
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    No, I'm quite full.
    No, vegetarians are annoying enough tbh
    LynnPlayz1 wrote: »
    No, vegetarians are annoying enough tbh

Someone suggested that Vegetarian, Lactose Intolerant and Child of the Ocean should be removed as Personality Traits and moved as "Likes and Dislikes." I think it's a good suggestion since you could choose more personality traits in lieu of those food-based traits.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    No, I'm quite full.
    I say no, because there are a LOT of foods. they would also need to have more like/dislike slots.

I would like to be able to choose who likes and dislikes fruitcake though... I'd only make the crazy ones like it. :D
    edited November 2021
    So, there are about 218 recipes that can be cooked. I think I understand why Food may not have been added as a Like or Dislike; that's because it becomes hazy how you would categorize a dish. There are overlaps that happen like Spaghetti: does it go under Pasta or Beef? And Salmon Maki Rolls: are they Seafood or Japanese?

Maybe, instead of condensing it, we just go for the specific dish. That means there will be a dedicated Category on the Likes and Dislikes panel for the type of dish. That way, we don't have to scroll too much when searching for a dish. Also, the devs could break apart the Standard recipes, and the categorization can be used to organize the recipes by tabs when cooking.

Here's the table of how many recipes there are per Category:

Category = Dish Count
    PIT/CAMPFIRE = 5
    OUTDOOR = 20
    OFF-THE-GRID = 5
    GRAND MEALS = 5
    GOURMET = 33
    STANDARD = 88
    FOOD STALL = 41
    EXPERIMENTAL = 21

Perhaps they can reorganize the dishes by type, like Snacks, Appetizers, Soups, Breakfast, Main Course, Desserts. Sort these as Categories for Likes/Dislikes.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2021
    nastyjman wrote: »
    So, there are about 218 recipes that can be cooked. I think I understand why Food may not have been added as a Like or Dislike; that's because it becomes hazy how you would categorize a dish. There are overlaps that happen like Spaghetti: does it go under Pasta or Beef? And Salmon Maki Rolls: are they Seafood or Japanese?

Maybe, instead of condensing it, we just go for the specific dish. That means there will be a dedicated Category on the Likes and Dislikes panel for the type of dish. That way, we don't have to scroll too much when searching for a dish. Also, the devs could break apart the Standard recipes, and the categorization can be used to organize the recipes by tabs when cooking.

Here's the table of how many recipes there are per Category:

Category = Dish Count
    PIT/CAMPFIRE = 5
    OUTDOOR = 20
    OFF-THE-GRID = 5
    GRAND MEALS = 5
    GOURMET = 33
    STANDARD = 88
    FOOD STALL = 41
    EXPERIMENTAL = 21

Perhaps they can reorganize the dishes by type, like Snacks, Appetizers, Soups, Breakfast, Main Course, Desserts. Sort these as Categories for Likes/Dislikes.

Spaghetti would go under both meat and Italian. Veggie version just Italian.

So a veggie that liked Italian would like the second, a carnivore Italian-lover would like the first and someone with no protein preference (onmivore) who loved Italian would like either.

Each dish would have to be tagged with all preference tags that fit, same as furniture can be tagged as both blue and modern, or red and industrial.