Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Way Do You Think Is Better?

I like to give my school Sims the summer off. Here in America our kids still mostly get the entire summer off between grades. I have used MCCC to have them 'quit' school, to resume it in the fall, again. Another player recently suggested they make every day in the summer season a 'holiday' with the day off. I just tried that one recently and I'm on the Fence.

What would say works better?
You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Which Way Do You Think Is Better? 66 votes

Using the Mod to have them quit school, and then have them resume school in the Fall
13%
mlmeadowsDaraviSimmerMarsAstroZiafarcomicsforlifeSimDestroyerClousinatorsVeeDub 9 votes
Using the Calendar to create a 'holiday' for each day of the summer season
56%
SimCrazyOolonglongelanorbretonmaggiemae8135Mariefoxprice83MindofyldmarkoMiaSkywalkerfallenangel66halloweenchildLyrieScobrelunaoddityMDianaSimsBreazonaRedShoe7GrynnEvilyn_1007Behappy1stStephM803 37 votes
Neither, Make them Continue through Summer
19%
simgirl1010freindlylolgoodcakebaker62DarkLady2788duhboy2u2Sindocatannaliese39DoloresGreysuperkyle221ViolettaKimmermightyspriteACruelButLovingGod 13 votes
Other, please explain
10%
crocobauraLaBlue0314SweetieWright_84EnkiSchmidtFanPhoriaNate_Whiplash1GirlFromIpanema 7 votes

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited November 2021
    Other, please explain
    I picked other, because there are pros and cons to both, and I have done both. With the mod way, this will have to be dealt with every time a new patch is released. Not the setting if using MCCC, but waiting till MCCC updates, which isn't usually very long.

With the calendar, your run into making sure only the kids are off, but the parents are still going to work. Also with the calendar, you have that little box on the upper left side of the screen, which can also interfere with any of other world activities as far as seeing what is going on and needing to do.

What I usually do for the summer months what I do is still have the kids go to school but give them Monday and Fridays off, or just a week or two off.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2021
    Won't using holidays make it so all sims stay home?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,863 Member
    How long is your summer season? Mine is 28 days and I couldn't imagine having to keep my two girls occupied and entertained every day.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    You could use the calendar but manually send the parents to work if required.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Other, please explain
    If you are already using MCCC, just give the kiddos the desired number of vacation days. You only have to remember to actually phone in every morning to take those days off.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,556 Member
    edited November 2021
    How long is your summer season? Mine is 28 days and I couldn't imagine having to keep my two girls occupied and entertained every day.

I have the mod that allows for 21 day seasons. 28 days just felt as if I didn't even have seasons in my game. One week is too short, fourteen days isn't enough, either. I have no trouble keeping the kids 'occupied'. Four of them are Teens, with the second oldest being a Global Superstar. I work on their relationships with potential spouses for the most part, while Erik is busy churning out music and doing concerts, photoshoots and making albums. Basically, he's always busy, but is also dating. The youngest is still a Child, but he enjoys playing on his pirate ship and swimming in the backyard pool. Plus, I have two holidays during the summer. Liberty Day, smack dab in the middle week with Labor Day being the first Monday of Fall. Class resumes on Tuesday of that week. As far as the parents' occupations are concerned, Joseph is an Intrepid Teacher and his wife paints. She's a Proper Celebrity, she's that good at it. ;)

Making them continue through the summer will seriously hamper Erik's ability to keep up with stuff. As it is, he gets his homework done before he sets off on a concert or other such stuff.

If you are already using MCCC, just give the kiddos the desired number of vacation days. You only have to remember to actually phone in every morning to take those days off.

And therein lies the problem. LOL I've messed up on weddings in the past for failing to 'call in' on the vacation. Or the Sim doesn't get around to making that call and sets off to school anyway. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,863 Member
    Kudos to you for managing 5 children. 😄 Just thinking about it stresses me out.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    But make the Fridays free using the calendar. That's what I do, so that is obviously the best solution, lol. Just kidding.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,035 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Won't using holidays make it so all sims stay home?

Without mods, yes, it will. However, LittleMsSam's has a mod that make school holiday a tradition - so you create a holiday that doesn't have the day off, with the holiday tradition of school holiday. The kids stay home, the adults go to work.

I personally like to combine the two, giving kids a few days off but also giving adults a week's holiday. I don't make it last the entire summer season, but a week and a half for kids, and a week for adults. It makes for great vacation time for the family and adults can hone up their skills. Unfortunately it doesn't work on university students, they are still expected at their classes regardless of what holiday it is.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Other, please explain
    I like the calendar method better. In real life parents usually book their annual leave around children's vacation days too, so to me at least it's realistic that way. Depending on the career, parents could still work from home or do freelance type work during the vacation days too. However, the entire summer off seems unrealistic, so maybe there could be one or two days of work each week and for the kids school could be considered as summer science club or something like that.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    edited November 2021
    I downloaded a mod from Little Miss Sam that added more holiday traditions including separated school and work holidays, so I use the calendar and the only tradition is school holidays. Adults get up and go to work like normal. Just remember to uncheck the school/work holiday box.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Other, please explain
    I don't give them the entire summer but I do give them a week of summer vacation with the holidays. I usually send the household to Sulani for the week.

I also do that between WinterFest and New Years Eve, and send them to Mt. Komorebi.

I hadn't thought of using MCCC.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    edited November 2021
    But make the Fridays free using the calendar. That's what I do, so that is obviously the best solution, lol. Just kidding.

I could do that, but Erik ends up having concerts and photoshoots, daily. Plus, I want him to have enough time to cut more albums and to write more music since for the first time since I began playing this Sim, he's now earned two Starlight Accolades for Best Song. That was always, always, always out of my reach until I was put onto a mod that stops the cooldown time in between licensing songs. that along with some very good pointers. The goal is to have ten albums under his belt prior to Uni. Then enough recorded songs so he can release albums one each of the three Terms in Uni.
    I don't give them the entire summer but I do give them a week of summer vacation with the holidays. I usually send the household to Sulani for the week.

I also do that between WinterFest and New Years Eve, and send them to Mt. Komorebi.

I hadn't thought of using MCCC.

It's as easy as making the settings so that High School and Grade School kids can 'quit' school. You just need to have them resume school two days prior to when you want them to go back.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My kids just stay in school - I know the pace of the school week and drive kids well in it.

But if I were taking time off, I'd "Quit Job" via MCCC. No idea if that sets them back to a C grade, or whether grades are retained.
    Sindocat wrote: »
    My kids just stay in school - I know the pace of the school week and drive kids well in it.

But if I were taking time off, I'd "Quit Job" via MCCC. No idea if that sets them back to a C grade, or whether grades are retained.

The grades are retained, I believe and if not, I can always use the mod to reset them.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Using the Mod to have them quit school, and then have them resume school in the Fall
    I don't have Seasons, so that mechanic never applies to my game in the first place. Also, I consider my sims' worlds to have year-round school because I'd get too bored to play occupy-the-kids for very long. :lol: But from what I understand of your play style and storyline, I think it would suit your family to have them take that break, then resume in the fall.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    I give the adults and kids in the house summer vacation using the calendar, but only for one week. I have 14 day seasons, so they do go to school for part of the summer. I use that week of vacation usually to actually send them on vacation, usually Sulani or Mt. Komorebi.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I really enjoy using the calendar for this. Fun for making vacation time for kids too for camping or going to Disneyland aka Journey to Batuu.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Other, please explain
    It's as easy as making the settings so that High School and Grade School kids can 'quit' school. You just need to have them resume school two days prior to when you want them to go back.

I know how, I just hadn't thought of using MCCC for a summer vacation. That's a good idea.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I use the calendar to create seasonal breaks. If you're on long life, go ahead & give them the whole week off, if it's normal lifespan just give them one or two days, so they sill have enough time to get their grades to an A. I usually do Tuesdays & Fridays, mainly because Geek Con happens during the day on Tuesdays, and Fridays to give them a long weekend.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Since I don't use any mods, MCCC isn't an option for me, but I'm sure it would be a nice way to give child and teen sims a vacation. I don't really try to give them a whole season off, because I've made my seasons two weeks (since otherwise it seemed like it was always transitioning from one season to another, never in the full season), but I play on normal lifespan. I usually just add a couple holidays or have child sims take a few of their vacation days during summer.
    ldmarko wrote: »
    I use the calendar to create seasonal breaks. If you're on long life, go ahead & give them the whole week off, if it's normal lifespan just give them one or two days, so they sill have enough time to get their grades to an A. I usually do Tuesdays & Fridays, mainly because Geek Con happens during the day on Tuesdays, and Fridays to give them a long weekend.

I play on Long and my Seasons last for 21 days. I'm hoping they can go on vacation at some point.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Other, please explain
    I don't do a specific "summer" vacation, and it doesn't bother me too much since there's lots of places that have a different kind of school schedule (plus I always did so many activities or "summer school" things as a kid summer barely felt like vacation time to me anyway lol). But what I do tend to do is keep an eye on the "vacation days" my kid sims have saved up, and when those days are equal to the amount of days left before it's time for them to age up I having them call in. That usually gives them about a whole season's worth of vacation time, which sometimes happens over the summer time in the game, but regardless, that's enough to feel like a kind of "end of school" vacation time off kind of thing for me.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I play with 28-day seasons, so if I gave my sims the summers off from school, I'd have some kid born in late spring go through their entire childhood and adolescence never having to go to school at all. Granted, I wish there were a system in place to homeschool my simkids—childhood in my world is a time for skill development, not losing seven hours a day offscreen learning nothing—but I haven't gone so far as to create holidays for it.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Other, please explain
    I would just make them quit school entirely, but then again, all of the teenagers in my game are delinquents that would rather hang out at the bar