Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Happy Simsmas 2021 Gift Exchange ~ Closed

Comments

• MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    No CC is allowed in the builds. The Nraas mods won't affect the builds; the builds will still be CC free. There simply isn't any way that a Nraas mod will cause something to "stick" in a build. But there are various things in it that can improve ease of use when it comes to building. Like turning off tourists. Or adding upgrades to items like sinks or bathtubs.

There are other things, too, that I'm blanking on at the moment. It's so automatic for me to put Nraas into my game that I don't think of it. I don't have any other mods in my game except for those atm, mostly because I know that Nraas will NOT affect the build when I export it, and I can't be guaranteed the same with anything else.

It all comes down to: Does Cleaner see CC or mods in the build once the build is exported and uploaded to your library? If it doesn't, all is good. If it does, then oops, something went wrong.
  • CharlotteknCharlottekn Posts: 544 Member
    I'm getting there on my gift (lots of saving this time! The world I'm building in seems to get laggy way quicker than my usual).
    That's why I always build in a build world. It will guarantee that the lot is flat (making the build usable in more worlds), and the save/load/exit times are quicker. It also means that when you do screen shots of the build, the background doesn't get distracting by showing other builds that have nothing to do with yours. (And can be confusing to the viewer.)

It also means I don't have a lot of townies spawning walking around the build and distracting things. No townies in a build world.

There are disadvantages, however. You don't have a city hall, so if you use Nraas for various functions, you can't change the defaults. You have to create another small lot on the world with just a city hall (I use the one from Lunar Lakes, because it's the smallest), just so you can set anything you want before you start building. (Like to turn off tourists, etc. Otherwise they spawn, and it's annoying when they're in the screen shots.)

Another disadvantage is the same as one of the advantages: When you're taking outside screenshots of the build, it's sometimes odd to NOT see any buildings in the background. :)

Is there a build world you suggest? I know I had one a while back but I don't seem to have one anymore. I do like to have a world to build in, if it's for that world, so the colors look right, but a place to start on a flat lot with less lag would be great.
    Is there a build world you suggest? I know I had one a while back but I don't seem to have one anymore. I do like to have a world to build in, if it's for that world, so the colors look right, but a place to start on a flat lot with less lag would be great.
    If I'm just building one or two things (several small items, or one large item and one or two smaller ones), I generally use Volvenom's Rendalen. That world is tiny, and doesn't have any lots at all; depending upon what you're doing, you MAY need velocitygrass' "Create any lot size" mod in order to pop down an appropriate sized lot on the world. You only need that mod installed in order to create the lot; after that, you can remove it, if you want.

If I'm doing more building, like a whole bunch of things, I sometimes use QBuilderz' "(Bigger) Builder's Island". It's useful if you're doing a bunch of builds and don't want to have multiple game saves, as I've often done. A disadvantage to his world is that the lots are already in place, and although he has most standard square lot sizes, he is missing a few. For instance, while there are several 64x64 and lots of square lots in various sizes, there are no 60x60 lots, or any non-square lots like 20x30 or 30x40, all of which are standard in some worlds, including several of EA's. Also, unlike Rendalen, the world does have hills; while he hasn't placed any empty lots on any hills, it isn't a good idea to simply place some of your own in other sizes for building, because if you place a lot on a hill, that build won't necessarily work in different worlds.

So, basically, if you want a lot size that isn't square, I recommend Rendalen; if you're building on a square lot (that isn't 60x60), and doing a bunch of builds for a single project, then QBuilderz' will work just as well.
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Just needing some inspiration! :)
    :) Smile!

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited November 2021
    No CC is allowed in the builds. The Nraas mods won't affect the builds; the builds will still be CC free. There simply isn't any way that a Nraas mod will cause something to "stick" in a build. But there are various things in it that can improve ease of use when it comes to building. Like turning off tourists. Or adding upgrades to items like sinks or bathtubs.

There are other things, too, that I'm blanking on at the moment. It's so automatic for me to put Nraas into my game that I don't think of it. I don't have any other mods in my game except for those atm, mostly because I know that Nraas will NOT affect the build when I export it, and I can't be guaranteed the same with anything else.

It all comes down to: Does Cleaner see CC or mods in the build once the build is exported and uploaded to your library? If it doesn't, all is good. If it does, then oops, something went wrong.

I downloaded a house that was built by DNA for me, and the builder used the savvy seller rugs as decor, in her game she used an nraas mod to disable the "browse" option that the rugs come with but when I downloaded it, the option didn't stick, because I don't use all of nraas's mods, so my sims were constantly browsing their own home lol

I guess that's where I thought mods stuck to lots, which is why I took all mine out.XD
    edited November 2021
    Puddinroy wrote: »

Me to I keep bulldozing and restarting LOL.my juices are gone atm :D
    Post edited by GraceyManor on
    I downloaded a house that was built by DNA for me, and the builder used the savvy seller rugs as decor, in her game she used an nraas mod to disable the "browse" option that the rugs come with but when I downloaded it, the option didn't stick, because I don't use all of nraas's mods, so my sims were constantly browsing their own home lol

I guess that's where I thought mods stuck to lots, which is why I took all mine out.XD
    Oh dear, I've used savvy seller rugs before, just because they were the right size for a room. The Sims will "browse" the rugs, really? :cold_sweat: Um... good to know, but a bit disconcerting. I wish there were a better selection of rug sizes in the game!
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member

@Puddinroy I hope you find some sweetie and you also @GraceyManor <3<3
    inspiration-at-work.jpeg
    Inspiration-at-Home.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited November 2021
    oops never mind.. missed seeing the later posts.

Bottom line some effects of mods can transfer. There is transmoger mod that allows you to clone the characteristics of one object to another object (like add a sink function to a pitcher and basin) or change the comfort and energy of a cheaper bed into that of a more expensive one, so you get the look you want with the function you'd rather have. That can upload with a lot, but any modifications are only to that object and can't be transferred without the mod itself, much like a recolored or stencil-free object will install into your game, but it doesn't go into options of CASt as a recolor unless you purposefully choose to save it after you've installed it. So, I can have an old-fashioned wash basin that sims can use to wash their hands and my sims can get better sleep and raise their energy faster sleeping in the much cuter kids bed. But, you wouldn't have the same function on your wash stand or kids bed in buy/build mode. It would just be the one bed or wash stand in that one upload that have those options. You can't save the bed or basin and get the functions with them. You'd only get the recolor option. You'd need the mod and would need to change the functions yourself to place a bed or basin in your game with those functions. (And sometimes, the transmoger effect does not transfer even in a person's game. Saving to the bin and placing the lot elsewhere can negate the functions.)

Basically, if something is recolored with a mod; the recolor itself transfers. I upload a stencil-less bed and you get the bed minus the stencils. You can save that to your CASt options and use a stencil-less bed and recolor it as you like and upload it and someone else downloads it and gets that stencil-less bed, but if they don't save it to their CASt options; they'll not be able to use that stencil-less bed anywhere else (unless they have the mod that lets them remove stencils). Often simmers try to recolor modded options in their game and find they can't. The object then reverts back to the stencil version.

Did that help at all?

And yeah, the seller's rug, when used because of it's perfect size will cause pop up notices in my game just like sales at the book or grocery store. Ugh!

And thanks for the link to the other builder world. I have Qbuilder's world and Tiny Town by Rflong7 which truly are dream loads and save time and I can't recommend them enough.
    Post edited by ciane on
    BreeMiles wrote: »

@Puddinroy I hope you find some sweetie and you also @GraceyManor <3<3
    inspiration-at-work.jpeg
    Inspiration-at-Home.jpg

The building part I can get done when it comes to interior or landscaping I struggle :(
    edited November 2021

Oh dear, I've used savvy seller rugs before, just because they were the right size for a room. The Sims will "browse" the rugs, really? :cold_sweat: Um... good to know, but a bit disconcerting. I wish there were a better selection of rug sizes in the game!

They are really nice rugs but unless you have returner to disable the browse option sims will treat their house like a consignment shop lol I know they don’t have many rug options
    edited November 2021
    @ciane
    Bottom line some effects of mods can transfer.

That's why I thought mods weren't allowed.And yeah that post helped, thanks! ^_^
    And I know the seller rugs are perfect sizes, but it gets annoying to have sims constantly browsing LOL

I like to watch "good house" movies, like old Hollywood classics or BBC historical movies, when I need inspiration. Depends on what you're trying to make. Sometimes those houseplan websites are all the same old boring pictures.
  • seabenseaben Posts: 631 Member
    I'm checking in for the 28th so i don't forget my gift is like 75 percent done
    my sims 3 shell challenges https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974534/the-sims-3-shell-challenge-corner-challenge-4-due-july-31th/p1 or check out my sims blog https://seabensims.wordpress.com/ my Wishlist is seaben06 on the sims 3 store and my oid is also seaben06
    I'm going to go ahead and check in as well. My main gift is finished and tested; I'm working on a secondary, smaller gift, and just have to finish up some details. Taking a break, though, because my brain isn't working right atm. Addy knows just where I'm at right now; I check in regularly with her privately.
  • LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    I am checking in for the 28th.. I already finished my gift.. I only have to get it ready for gifting day...
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    And I'm getting excited to see what everyone has come up with!
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Goodness me :o time to check in already!?!
    My game is still giving me some grief and even though everything is crawling along at snail's pace enough progress has been made :)

Hope everyone is keeping well. Stay safe and Happy Simming 🤗
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Hidehi wrote: »

Goodness me :o time to check in already!?!
    My game is still giving me some grief and even though everything is crawling along at snail's pace enough progress has been made :)

Hope everyone is keeping well. Stay safe and Happy Simming 🤗

Are you working in an empty builders world, in an unplayed sims 3 folder?

For those that don't know, it is possible to rename the sims folder and a brand new one is generated when you next load your game. There are just a few folders (dcCache, installedWorlds, and contentPatch) and the ccmerged file from the dcBackup folder that you need to copy over from your old sims 3 folder to avoid reinstalling all your store content again. If you have saved patterns and unlocked stencils, you also want to copy the userPresets file over. If you have mods, such as OverWatch and/or noCD, you will also want to copy the mods folder and paste that in to your new sims 3 folder. I usually reset my options again to turn off all weather, memories, etc. and make sure the settings are what I want, but you could copy over the options file. And, the deviceConfig file might be needed if you had to ever adjust that. And, of course, you'll want to copy over that lot you are working on: simply saving it to the bin creates a library file. (You can rename a library file too so that it carries the name of your lot or sim, and you don't need to quit your game to do that.)

Stating over with a fresh sims 3 folder (that already has everything needed, but none of the saved games or screenshots), means faster loading and saving time and more time to play and build before reaching large file sizes that lead to crashing. Playing and building in an empty world really speeds up that loading and saving time. Of course, you could also MOVE files out of your current sims 3 folder (screenshots, older saves, exports that you've already uploaded, downloads that you have already installed) rather than create a new one,; but a game can get corrupt over time; so starting fresh might be needed eventually.

You can at any time copy over your latest (or any) game save into a fresh sims 3 folder. I am continually shuffling between sims 3 folders. I have one for playing Rflong's Tiny Town. Another is just for the recent Aukney-upon-Sherne build collab. Another has renovations. Etc. You just have to periodically clean out the old saves, like clearing your caches.

You can make over university or any of the travel worlds and then copy that .nhd (neighborhood) file into any other save file. I make over a world from scratch and save it before I play it. This creates master save files that I keep unplayed in a Sims folder I create elsewhere. I can copy that master world game (ie. SV for Sunset Valley and RV for Riverview) save into my current (or a fresh copy of the) sims 3 folder. I simply need to rename the fresh, unplayed save before I start building or playing. So, I have a pristine copy of the world that is available whenever I want to play with a different family at any time. (IE. I use "save as" to save the SV file as SV-K (for Sunset Valley Keaton) or SV-b (for building only). As I play, I add time hacks, adding on su6 for Sunday 6a.m. That makes it easy to delete the older saves, which can be deleted while your game is still in play.)

You don't need to keep a different sims 3 folder for everything: You just need to swap out your latest save file for the one you want to play next. You can keep various master sims 3 folders - one with all the store content and one without, one with all the mods and one with just the essentials. Or you can just keep one master sims 3 folder with everything and remove what you don't want in a COPY that you have renamed. (If you deleted something you want, it's still in the master file and it can be copied in again.)

The key is to set up something once and have it as the master file or folder that you will copy. Keep a backup in a safe place in case you forget to "save as" something else as soon as you start.

Bottom line: if you only have the saved game that you want to play at the current time in your sims 3 folder, and keep everything you don't need for it MOVED out to a different location, there is less to load and save and less chance, hopefully, of overloading your system.

I hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving and/or black Friday and are enjoying your weekend. I am looking forward to all the surprises awaiting us.
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    I'm checking in now as I won't be online tomorrow. My gift is about ready to go... I'm just searching for the perfect wrapping paper :wink:
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Thank you to those who checked in early. Am sure the rest will pop in with their messages soon.

One Buddy needed to step down so I will be filling in as their replacement. Is my gift ready? No but it will be. :)
    ADWilson wrote: »
    Thank you to those who checked in early. Am sure the rest will pop in with their messages soon.

One Buddy needed to step down so I will be filling in as their replacement. Is my gift ready? No but it will be. :)

Oh no :(
    Checking in! My main gift is done and I am just working on some little extra stuff now, so I'll be ready for gifting time!
    https://color.romanuke.com/czvetovaya-palitra-4278/

Found this great site for color palattes, was googling today for inspiration.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top