Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone ever played a new game and gradually added the expansions

I wonder if it would make for a more in-depth experience if you begin with only the base game. And then, say, after a generation ends, you continue as the descendants and install the following expansion. I was toying with the idea of doing that sometime. Otherwise, starting a new save after not playing for over a few years is kinda overwhelming: start new game and there's the university mascot, future portal, etc.

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've started this in the last days. I'm playing with base game only for now. I haven't played much cause i've decided to add some facial sliders and makeover the townies, but the few i played was super cool. I had no idea that the base game alone could be so immersive. I feel that one generation isn't enough to scratch the surface of the base game.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member

I reinstalled the game (a long while back) after taking some time off.

If a player wants to immerse themselves in the experience, it would make sense to install the game in pieces.
    That way they can ensure they are exposed to the individual benefits of each Expansion.

However ... I don't ever let the Game play me.
    It doesn't matter what the game throws out ... I am doing what I want to do.
    As a player, I don't tend to get distracted chasing the "squirrels" the game encourages running after,
    so starting a new game isn't overwhelming.

From your examples ... The Mascot is just the first Acquaintance that gets me one Sim closer to mastering the Charisma Skill,
    and the Portal gets stored in the Family Inventory in case I ever feel like pursuing that avenue.

Best Advice ...
    Just do whatever you want to do, and don't worry about all the minutia ... Own Your Game!
    Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    @YamiJustin2 - Adding the expansions over time would allow you the opportunity to explore the new content in some depth. The Base Game alone is very entertaining and interesting especially if you are fully patched, as some of those patches included interactions or objects which were meant to accompany some of the expansion packs. For instance, dumpster diving which was a part of the University Life's experience.

Where the mascot, weather stone or time portal is concerned, feel free to ignore that which doesn't fit into your game play. When the mascot shows up, just keep doing what you were doing. She will stay until her time runs out and then she will happily leave. When the time portal shows up, sell it or lock it away in the family inventory. The goal there is to stop Emit from making an appearance as he is the first step to opening the 'Into The Future' gameplay. And, don't worry, you can buy the time portal and the University welcome kit from the buy catalog should you change your mind later on down the line.

The goal is for you to have fun with your Sims. The game can make all of the 'suggestions' it wants in the form of opportunities, but ultimately it is you who decides what life is in your game.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I do that all the time, well I have as I have gone through quite a few used computers as an long time player the game is what it is so while it technically doesn't change anything to install all at once or wait it is nice. Mostly just taking a step back and forcing the world to grow again and reintroduce your sims to items you forget about. That's fun. :)
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    I've recently started a new game with only the base game, stuff packs and store content. I'm planning to gradually enable expansion packs as my household achieves certain goals or tasks.
    I'm using it as a way to explore parts of the game that I haven't previously. I've written a list of goals for each expansion pack, such as skills or careers that I've never tried, life states that I've never played as, and activities I've never done.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Since I'm on Tumblr, half of the TS3 tag is LEPacy challenges. a.k.a. start with just the base game and add an EP every generation. Obviously it looks fun and I see the appeal.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    One thing to keep in mind if you are on version 1.69 and exchange in-game gifts with friends.
    Your friends can send you in-game gifts from any EPs that you own.
    However, you can only receive and send gifts from EPS that you have enabled

I only discovered this yesterday. I had to change to a different saved game that uses all EPs in order to receive the gifts.
    I used cheats to add the total value of the gifts to my base-game only household
  • Options
    TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    I just started a LEPcy Challenge on my blog. I made up my own rules & goals.
  • Options
    YamiJustin2YamiJustin2 Posts: 25 Member
    TeeSea wrote: »

What's that sort of challenge? Only limits I have on myself are no cheat codes, no Moodlet Manager, and no Motive Mobile or glitching
  • Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    When TS3 had been out long enough to have two expansions, I bought the base game only. I struggled with the lack of control over my families and finally discovered the Pinstar 10 generation challenge. I then picked up WA and found that to be a nice addition. I quit playing for many years. Then I started playing TS2 again and was loving it. But I missed so much of TS3 content, I decided to give it a try again. With the help of the Nraas group, I was able to play rotationally and that hooked me in. They had put the entire series on sale on Steam and I bought it all at the same time. To me, that's not a problem. It feels like a complete singular game to me. I haven't played 50% of the content. I only tried out University for the first time last year (didn't like it) and just now setup a farm after finding out that I don't have a TON of stuff that I'll have to dish out a lot of money for on the store eventually.
  • Options
    EllGeorgianaEllGeorgiana Posts: 13 New Member
    I’ve tried to do this in some of my saves, mainly so I can revisit packs I haven’t played with in a while.

For example I had a Sim who was in the culinary career but through time became more focused on Baking, creating cakes and desserts etc. I went with the storyline they began to become unfulfilled in the culinary career so would go to open their own Bakery selling what they’ve made which made me appreciated Get To Work more and realising there was a lot of objects I had forgotten about. I also used one of the pop ups which asked if I wanted my Sim to lose their job by gaining fame and reputation etc which fitted in nicely with my storyline. 😊

Sometimes I will challenge myself by making a Base Game home and gradually adding items from a specific pack which relate to My Sims life. For example: Using Cats and Dogs when having a sim who wants to run a vet or Using Cottage Living when I have a Sim choosing to become a self sufficient farmer.

Obviously it all depends on how you play the game as I think we all will have items which are our go to.
  • Options
    TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    TeeSea wrote: »

What's that sort of challenge? Only limits I have on myself are no cheat codes, no Moodlet Manager, and no Motive Mobile or glitching

I found out about the LEPacy Challenge here: https://simpishly.tumblr.com/post/97854204836/a-sims-3-lepacy-is-a-legacy-style-challenge