Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Subscription Services in the Sims Yes or No?

Comments

• EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    The game Little Sim World is NOT related to the “The Sims” series, despite having a similar name.
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    RIP to the game that has helped create & define a whole new genre when this goes sub.

EA has already shown us how they feel about this franchise. Sims 4 is a visually appealing fractured sandbox game after 7 years. Some may disagree, but the bug reports, community views, & lack of mod content added to the game speaks volumes.

Many won't invest, revenue will be lost, & then it'll be scrapped.

Kinda sad, too since I've been gaming for over 40yrs.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Don't give EA ideas for plumbob's sake.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I won't pay multiple times to play
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    My favourite part of this is going to be when they announce it and have to convince everyone that the new model is the way forward and it's in the best interests of the franchise. I will most definitely have the popcorn on standby.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Noo. I'm already subscribed to enough services as it is
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited September 2021
    Theres no way in hell I'm paying monsthly just to play a game like the sims. I wouldn't sub to play any game, there are moments where i just play for days then stop playing for months so the sub would be a terrible idea. But honestly paying monthly just to play a game is has always been dumb to me, I prefer a one time purchase for life and want to choose when i play, how long i play, etc. imagine paying monthly, then dlc, then cc if your into cc..it's just no, ea is that greedy dog getting ready to bite the hand that feeds them.
    giphy.gif

• SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    edited September 2021
    It's bad enough with freeminum games and lootboxes being common, subscription services in order to play a game is one step too far. Plus there will be no quality control if The Sims 5 ends up being subscription-based, as you won't know if someone who is playing online has a criminal record or whether a Mod or CC is working properly or updated to the latest update. Things like DLC and Store Content isn't a problem, as once you purchase them they're yours forever, and you can decide what DLC and Store Content you want to install in your game or to see how your game is. But subscription services for The Sims 5 is just greed
    Post edited by Sleepstar on
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    I'll have a real answer when I see the game. If it can't keep me engaged for more than a few days, like TS4, then nope.
  • SimSoonSimSoon Posts: 55 Member
    Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month to play with specialized content but I don't want to pay subscription for the base game and normal packs, DLC
    There are very few "special features" I'd be okay with them charging subscription fees for and they basically amount to "things I wouldn't pay for" lol. Like actual multiplayer or something.
  • leeahtortillaleeahtortilla Posts: 7 New Member
    https://youtu.be/sRfJ7Cn3am8

no, Im definitely not trying to pay for subscriptions, you're out of your'e 🐸🐸🐸🐸 mind EA
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2021
    Nope. Play one subscription game off and on (WoW) and knowing that you're paying money even in a content drought feels awful. Plus, most sub games are subs just to play, expansions are pricey and not included - I don't want to risk that THAT's what they'll do. Plus, what's the catch for the future? Play sub indefinitely? Subs are phased out as the game ages? In that case, most long-time simmers would hold off.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited November 2021
    This literally just happened with Nintendo Switch Online. They just released a paid DLC pack for Animal Crossing: New Horizons called Happy Home Paradise last week. They gave us 2 options to play the paid DLC. I'm in an ACNH Facebook group and people lost their minds. They were so confused about the different options LOL

1) Upgrade your NSO membership option to a new tier called NSO + Expansion Pack which allows you to access the HHP DLC free if you maintain your membership. It gives you access to older games for the NES, SNES, N64 system and Sega games. If you cancel your membership or change to a different tier, you lose access to everything included. This was the route I went because I love the Mario Kart series of games and I don't have the older consoles to play the game on so I bought access to those games.

2) Keep your NSO membership the same and just outright pay $25 for the DLC for ACNH.

I am not sure I would do it again for The Sims though. I would have to see which is the better option if they do give us options for how we want to play the game and any future content.
    Post edited by EricasFreePlay on
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    This literally just happened with Nintendo Switch Online. They just released a paid DLC pack for Animal Crossing: New Horizons called Happy Home Paradise last week. They gave us 2 options to play the paid DLC. I'm in an ACNH Facebook group and people lost their minds. They were so confused about the different options LOL

1) Upgrade your NSO membership option to a new tier called NSO + Expansion Pack which allows you to access the HHP DLC free if you maintain your membership. It gives you access to older games for the N64 system and Sega games. If you cancel your membership or change to a different tier, you lose access to everything included. This was the route I went because I am in love with the Mario Kart series of games and I don't have the older consoles to play the game on so I bought access to those games.

2) Keep your NSO membership the same and just outright pay $25 for the DLC for ACNH.

I am not sure I would do it again for The Sims though. I would have to see which is the better option if they do give us options for how we want to play the game and any future content.

Curious what the cost was to "upgrade" your tier. Are we talking a few dollars a month, or is it a significant chunk of change?
    Curious what the cost was to "upgrade" your tier. Are we talking a few dollars a month, or is it a significant chunk of change?

https://ec.nintendo.com/US/en/membership Here's a link to the cost of the different memberships. I don't know if you're in the US but these are USD prices.
    Also, I forgot to mention, I used to play The Sims Online (anyone remember that? LOL). That was $9.99 per month. I easily paid for that every month. I honestly enjoyed that game so much that I had 2 paid accounts so I had 4 individual Sims and 2 families of 4 Sims in Betaville, the only city that let you have a family of 4 Sims. It only lasted several years and I did stop playing it for a period of time but I came back to it right before it ended. But for a subscription for a single player game? No freaking way. Sims 4 might be the last game I play in this franchise if Sims 5 is going that way. I will just purchase all the packs and kits I don't have for Sims 3 and 4 and call it quits.
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    Subscription services are one of the evils that come from digital distribution. No sir, I don't like it.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    This is like paying a monthly fee to keep playing with your Legos set.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    No for one I don't want all the dlc if Realm of Magic was a part of my game and I had spell casters in my towns I'd quit playing besides that I may play once a month I may not play for months I'm not signing up to pay for it each time and having to unsubscribe as well.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited November 2021
    In general the gain is low and the loss is high.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    I will be blunt. Anyone who things the Sims as SAAS is a good idea is insane, a senior executive at EA or both.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't remember how I answered this poll, but I'd say it depends on what's offered. Also, if it turned out to be an online only game, no amount of money would be acceptable to me because I just wouldn't buy/play anymore. That'd be sad.

I think I'd be fine with some online features, like, taking my sims shopping someplace that offered clothing and objects created by other simmers would be really cool, but I don't want to be forced to marry and start families with other simmers. I'd rather control my sim's fates alone and would not pay for the forced gameplay.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Simber_SimsSimber_Sims Posts: 17 Member
    I think a subscription service in the Sims really doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe there could be some sort of trial where after you paid a certain number of months you would own the game or something?

But it just feels like an artificial pressure to play the game or a way to trick people into giving money so they could play the game if they want or just have another subscription to forget about. I feel like it also incentivizes the game getting people addicted so they can make more money and that is really dangerous.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited November 2021
    Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month to play with specialized content but I don't want to pay subscription for the base game and normal packs, DLC
    I could see additional EXCLUSIVE content offered with a subscription, but the base game, EPs, GPs, and Stuff packs should all still have a fixed price, and never stop working once your subscription expires. None of the exclusive content in the subscription should be forfeited either, unless it involves an online interactive space with events such as Sims Sessions, and maybe fashion contests, or machinima contests (the music licensing might be tricky, you might have to limit the challenges to a set of songs licensed by EA for this purpose), but new exclusive stuff could keep being added for new subscribers, different ones, say, each month or each 3 months. A VIP badge of sorts. Circumstances change, and being locked out of a subscription because your hours got cut, you ended up in the hospital for a month, you got laid off, your landlord increased your rent, you lost a close relative, or your investments just became worthless, just is not fair to anyone, especially since that is exactly when people have the most time and need to play games. That is now why I have had to cut down the amount of cc I download regularly: because it is behind a pay wall. However, even with Patreon exclusive or TSR content, once you download and save it, it is yours to use and keep for as long as your game still works.

I no longer even buy any "protected" music files, because in my experience, those are no longer supported after a certain amount of time, and then you can no longer use it. I prefer my music and games to be NONDISPOSABLE. Unfortunately, the fact that the Sims no longer is available on a DVD, means that as soon as the supporting platforms, ie Origin or EA gaming, stop being supported, the games that REQUIRE Origin to work will no longer work. Which means once it stops being supported, if I still can, I would be going back to Sims 1 Complete Collection and Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, and maybe having to reinstall Sims 3 manually from all the discs without the pushed updates to force it to connect to Origin or the Sims 3 store. Speaking of which, I find myself wondering when, not if, EA decides to pull away the Sims 3 store and take it offline just like they did with the Sims 2 store, and the original The Sims site.

Oh well, at least there are emulators, that can handle old Windows operating systems and DOS (like DOSbox). There are also some Android emulators out there that make it much easier to "chat" in mobile-only apps. Most mobile keyboards are way too tiny, and for me, touchtyping on a regular keyboard is MUCH faster.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • TawkTawk Posts: 23 Member
    No, I like being able to play when I wish.
    If I have to pay each month I might only want to play a few days, then stop for a while.
    I may go on vacation, or something, and the idea of closing the account every so, then reopening it later, would be a pain.