Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RE: Apology

Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
edited November 2021 in Off Topic Chat
I honestly didn't want to alarm anyone with my last post...I had been drinking a lot and my mind was in a dark place, but it's been a tough year. However, no excuses, my last few posts have been 'out of order' and I absolutely apologise for that.
I ended up buying 'Country Living' and I love the new world, 'Henford Upon Bagley', I did a massive edit on Cordelia's Secret Cottage and moved my sim, Damien Darklight in. However, my game has been randomly crashing since I bought the new pack. I was ready to throw hellfire and brimstone at the developers, until I started narrowing other possibilities down first.
I have a quite decent gaming computer that I built a few years ago and I've never had technical issues with The Sims 4. But the crashes were very random, I could play for 4 hours solid and then the game would freeze and crash to desktop, no error messages or alerts in Task Manager, so of course, 'Country Living' became the 'obvious' reason. However, there could be another possibility, especially if you use Microsoft Edge as your browser. When you go online, Microsoft Edge Auto-Launch starts and even when you go offline, it's still running in the background. So for the last three days before playing Sims 4, I have deleted Microsoft Edge Auto-Launch from my 'Start-Up' folder and I've had no crashes. [I play offline].
Now, I'm not claiming that that is the issue, especially if other people are experiencing the 'crashing to desktop' issue...however, so far, it has worked for me.
So, I thought I would share it, because I'm really not a bad person, and if it helps somebody then it was worth it.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    I didn't see the original post but just wanted to say thank you for taking responsibility and endeavoring to be kinder online. I wish more people would do more to seek out kindness in online conversation ❤ anyway hope your game behaves and that you have fun!

gen3-banner.png
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    I didn’t see the original post either but thanks for taking the time to post your apology.

I thought Microsoft Edge would cause issues, all new programs do. I can’t see why Microsoft Internet Explorer can’t stay as it is. All these upgrades! 🤷🏼‍♂️🙄.

Hoping your game is better! 😊
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,103 Member
    As with the two previous posters, I didn't see your original posts either, but taking responsibility and apologising, even when you're having a tough time is something you should be proud of. Thank you! And I hope things are better for you. :)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    My heart goes out to you for your sadness & my prayer for you to not drink alone. Try to find someone you can trust to talk to when you're sad. Then find something that makes you happy.
  • Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    Update: I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, updated all the drivers and only installed Sims 4. It's been running perfectly until I got Windows Update errors. I play offline and I can be offline for a week or more! Today my game froze and crashed for the first time since the reinstall...I checked Task Manager and it was Microsoft Update throwing out 'critical' errors because it was out of date. Playing offline is becoming more and more problematic. I am 51 and I grew up in the age of the ZX80/81 and the Spectrum and then the Amiga 800. Offline gaming was all we had back then...and it was pure escapism! I never had a PC until I decided to build one in 2004 [because buying one was to easy] so I could play Doom 3. My credit card hates me for it, but PC building became a hobby until this day...however, the future of PC building is looking bleak with the 'shortage' of silicon and PC 'processors'. However, mobile phones are ten a penny.
    Being online now is full of hazards...and criminals are more likely to ransack your bank account than break into your home. I prefer being offline because that's where I know I'm safe. But Windows is making that a problem. I certainly won't be upgrading to Windows 11...
    I think it’s harder to play Sims 4 offline.
    I don’t understand why log in details expire, so you need to be online at points so origin loads the game pages. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️.

I disable Windows 10 auto updates when I’m playing Sims 4. That stops interference.
    edited November 2021
    I think it’s harder to play Sims 4 offline.
    I don’t understand why log in details expire, so you need to be online at points so origin loads the game pages. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️.

I disable Windows 10 auto updates when I’m playing Sims 4. That stops interference.

I have played Sims 4 since it was released in 2014. It was always an offline game with online updates...however...
    If you can buy a game and play it offline, you've given the publisher/developer their money for the product...there is no continued revenue in offline gaming! So the corporate behemoth and Andrew Wilson have decided that we gamers only like online gaming! According to them, we hate playing offline because we aren't playing with our friends! On a Sims game...
    I can't speak for the Sims fans, but personally, I love escaping from reality and other people through playing Sims 4!
    I'll call it now...Sims 5 will be the most online focused/dependent Sims game ever. If you use mods, expect an EA version of Bethesda with their Skyrim nonsense. EA: buy this mod pack for £4.99 and then these 'extras' for a £1. However, if you subscribe to GamePass and the EA streaming service, you can get it all for the ultra low price of £2 if you've signed up to our streaming service!!
    The future is clear...lack of ownership - you rent the service and it's only yours until you decide to stop paying...and then you're left with nothing...all that money for nothing to show!
    I don't know about anyone else, but that is the most disempowering of all realities. If what you have is based on subscription services, where you pay [full price] to rent that service, that you will never own. That's my BIG Problem.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    We all make mistakes, we learn from it and move on.

I'm not sure what issues that could cause sims4 to crash on your computer. Is it your graphics card? Or are you running out of RAM?
    A Geforce 1070ti says no, I have 32GB of DDR4 RAM, a first generation Ryzen 7 processor...my hypothesis is that the EA money machine has been making profit whilst gifting us with game breaking bugs!!!
    You know, Logion, this game will never improve. This forum is the problem because they defend the game, blame the mods...and nothing changes. I am well past expectations at this point.
    A Geforce 1070ti says no, I have 32GB of DDR4 RAM, a first generation Ryzen 7 processor...my hypothesis is that the EA money machine has been making profit whilst gifting us with game breaking bugs!!!

That should be able to run the sims4 with no problems, strange.

In my experience, crashes are happening because of either outdated mods or corrupted saves. Both can be checked by creating a new game without mods and see if it still crashes.

If it's not that, then I'm not sure. The fact that you are saying that the game is crashing after several hours after playing Cottage Living could be the Save Game Bloat bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/LL-Game-creating-tons-empty-households-Save-game-bloat-Insane/td-p/10543014 People who are playing cottage living have reported that the game is creating tons of empty households which are causing the game to eventually crash because too many sims are created. It was supposed to be fixed with the latest patch but people have still reported it happening.
    I have heard that also...I bought 'Cottage Living' recently and that is when I started having crashing issues. All my mods are updated...it's definitely not mod related. I've been using these mods for years then suddenly after buying 'Cottage Living' I start crashing...I thought it was maybe a Windows process causing the problem, like auto-start or auto-update....but now I'm not sure.
    edited November 2021
    I have heard that also...I bought 'Cottage Living' recently and that is when I started having crashing issues. All my mods are updated...it's definitely not mod related. I've been using these mods for years then suddenly after buying 'Cottage Living' I start crashing...I thought it was maybe a Windows process causing the problem, like auto-start or auto-update....but now I'm not sure.

You could check if you have a lot of empty households in your household manager in your save.

If nothing else works, you can try disabling cottage living and see if it still crashes.

I haven't heard of windows update causing crashes, but if you suspect that Windows could be the issue you could check event viewer (located in administrative tools) for errors, but the logs reported there are hard to read and are mostly related to other things. I don't think it's your windows. That sounds more likely if your game would crash on startup, not after playing for several hours.
    @Logion...'fixed', an interesting word that clearly prides itself in it's self proclaimed glory...fixed in Sims 4 is so rarely fixed especially with all the new packs coming out. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not alone in expressing my concerns within this community.
    edited November 2021
    Logion...'fixed', an interesting word that clearly prides itself in it's self proclaimed glory...fixed in Sims 4 is so rarely fixed especially with all the new packs coming out. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not alone in expressing my concerns within this community.

You are not alone, I am very disappointed in how they have handled bug fixes too and people are not happy on Answer HQ. Not enough resources have been assigned to fix several of the bugs from Cottage Living. I am still reminded of it every time I open my household manager and I see the corrupted foxes.

The bug is reported as "fixed" but still open, which means that they are still taking feedback.
    logion wrote: »

In my experience, crashes are happening because of either outdated mods or corrupted saves. Both can be checked by creating a new game without mods and see if it still crashes.

If it's not that, then I'm not sure. The fact that you are saying that the game is crashing after several hours after playing Cottage Living could be the Save Game Bloat bug: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/LL-Game-creating-tons-empty-households-Save-game-bloat-Insane/td-p/10543014 People who are playing cottage living have reported that the game is creating tons of empty households which are causing the game to eventually crash because too many sims are created. It was supposed to be fixed with the latest patch but people have still reported it happening.
    I have the save game bloat since Cottage Living. I used to check the unplayed households once every couple of months. It was becoming regular though. I have started a new game and this one has similar problems. Also versions of Agnes Crumplebottom appear with different names. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤔

edited November 2021

I have the save game bloat since Cottage Living. I used to check the unplayed households once every couple of months. It was becoming regular though. I have started a new game and this one has similar problems. Also versions of Agnes Crumplebottom appear with different names. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤔

I never got that bug, maybe I just never got it, or it could maybe have something to do with me limiting townie creation with MC Command Center. Here are the settings I used in mc_settings:
    "Population_PercentAdult": 0,
    "Population_PercentBaby": 0,
    "Population_PercentChild": 0,
    "Population_PercentElder": 0,
    "Population_PercentMale": 50,
    "Population_PercentToddler": 0,

I never got that bug, maybe I just never got it, or it could maybe have something to do with me limiting townie creation with MC Command Center. Here are the settings I used in mc_settings:
    "Population_PercentAdult": 0,
    "Population_PercentBaby": 0,
    "Population_PercentChild": 0,
    "Population_PercentElder": 0,
    "Population_PercentMale": 50,
    "Population_PercentToddler": 0,

Thanks I will try that.