Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like Open Neighborhoods?

Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
edited November 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
As the title says...

I wouldn't mind Open Neighborhoods. o:)
Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Would you like Open Neighborhoods? 114 votes

Yes
64%
CK213nickibitswardkipperfan01GalacticGalsims2freak737MsMayIsb917AuroraBoreallisbabajayneWillowG145NyxLunaStarelanorbretonCynnamaggiemae8135g01denswanCinebargoodcakebaker62BluelleDarkLady2788ldmarko 74 votes
Yes
8%
bandit5IceyJPlayerSinger2010simgirl1010YautjagirlEmmaVaneChadSims2Simmer_chiyenCattyBetsyChicklet453681 10 votes
Justine Keaton
11%
TheSpotted_Cluthienrisingduhboy2u2MDianaSimsColton147147RedShoe7pinneduphairlogionRouensimsEllupelluelluBookBearSkyrryxfiggy 13 votes
Where is the No option?
14%
barracuda1574pammiechickRenato10LatinaBunnySusim62EnkiSchmidtLiELFmustenisuperkyle221NorthDakotaGamerLady_Ballorasarabeth2984simsplayer86KimmerGirafHuntrfae_brassZoeyevester 17 votes

Comments

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,873 Member
    edited November 2021
    Justine Keaton
    Yes, open neighborhood would be nice :)

edited: I need to learn to read...
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I would actually prefer open neighborhoods to open worlds.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't really feel the need for them myself, but I wouldn't mind having them if it wouldn't impact game performance very much.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    Yes
    cyncie wrote: »

Same.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Yes
    Definitely yes, I think it would be lovely to visit neighbors or a close by lot without needed a loading screen.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Yes
    Yes because then it would matter more what other lots I put in the neighborhood. I had kids living next door to a playground once but it would have been so much cooler without having to load it up and if they could have brought friends back to the house for a quick bite and gone right back to playing. I also tried having a community garden but nothing ever grew there when I visited (I refuse to get Eco Lifestyle before anyone even suggests it. I do have Cottage Living so that one neighborhood is okay I guess.)
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Where is the No option?
    Nope. I'm happy for the way the game works now. I don't need open neighborhoods, otherwise I wouldn't even care about it but it's a big change and it would probably cause a lot of problems (bugs, more lag etc). My game is finally almost bug free and I don't want to ask for trouble.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    It depends.

When I'm playing the game normally, yes, I would like not having to sit through a loading screen to visit the library next door. Then I might actually visit libraries and museums every once in a while. The main reason I usually put everything my sims need on their home lots is because I don't like waiting.

When I'm filming for my machinima series, though, I get annoyed enough as it is with the few unwanted visitors coming to the active lot, distracting my actors and ruining shots. That would only get worse if all the other lots in the neighbourhood were active at the same time.

As usual, the best solution would be options, so we can have open neighbourhoods when we want them, and switch them off when we don't want them. But since TS4 started out without them, forcing them on everyone now, years later, would definitely be a bad idea.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited November 2021
    Justine Keaton
    I think that could work really well for neighborhoods with community lots. They should add different ways for sims to spawn so they don't drain the performance of the game too much. Maybe by having sims only spawn on lots where the camera is centered.

The sims4 pretty much already have open neighborhoods, it loads all the lots in a neighborhood, including the interior. There is just no game mechanic where we can visit them. So performance shouldn't be a huge issue. The game needs to not spawn and focus on sims when you are not looking at them, I think worlds like San Myshyno kinda works like that, the game doesn't do much with the sims on the streets and doesn't spawn many new ones if you are mostly focused on the apartment.

I don't think there is any point in trying to add this to the sims4 now... but I do hope that they are considering adding a system like that for the sims5. If they can get it to work we could maybe even have open worlds without it affecting too much performance.
    Post edited by logion on
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited November 2021
    Where is the No option?
    I don't want open worlds, but I'm open to open neighbourhoods. Could be fun, talking about 2-8 lots being open (I think that covers the neighbourhood sizes we have). But I'm thinking it would bring problems to how the community lots are populated. So now while writing I've became more unsure.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Where is the No option?
    I am not sure how I feel about that. I can only predict it would have a negative effect on how lots are populated in-game.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Justine Keaton
    It depends.

When I'm playing the game normally, yes, I would like not having to sit through a loading screen to visit the library next door. Then I might actually visit libraries and museums every once in a while. The main reason I usually put everything my sims need on their home lots is because I don't like waiting.

When I'm filming for my machinima series, though, I get annoyed enough as it is with the few unwanted visitors coming to the active lot, distracting my actors and ruining shots. That would only get worse if all the other lots in the neighbourhood were active at the same time.

As usual, the best solution would be options, so we can have open neighbourhoods when we want them, and switch them off when we don't want them. But since TS4 started out without them, forcing them on everyone now, years later, would definitely be a bad idea.

Yeah, if they are considering open neighborhoods for the sims5, then a toggle with how many active lots you would want and how many sims you would like to be active in a neighborhood is probably a good idea.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I'd like the option of moving around in a neighborhood as long as it didn't affect game performance. I don't need open worlds.
  • SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    Justine Keaton
    How open neighborhood would work with the aging settings? Also, how this can affect the performance of the game?
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Yes
    Plus cars to zoom around in it.
    11-23-21_7-51-13_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    Sure would be nice to have your sims passing on or walking on (visit & passing by on their lands of your neighbors, family, & friends like in the sims 3) lands of any of the resident lots, go to their houses, rings their door bells (or add in interaction to choose if you want to ring or knock on their doors) opening without the loading screen. But, I’m worried if adding open neighborhood features in the game. It might cause more bugs & maybe crashing problem for some players like in the sims 3.? EA still have not solve some bugs & glitches in the game. Yeah they fixed some bugs but not the important bugs.
    Post edited by MsMay on
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,489 Member
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    I should have chosen Justine Keaten. Instead, I will give a qualified answer. I would enjoy an open world again, so long as what it takes to create it won't clog up the gaming system to the extent it did Sims3. Perhaps, without all of the endless swatches and such, it won't hurt the game. But, I don't want the mess that was Sims3. If they can't do it, then I shall be happy to have the screen loads.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    Yes
    Yes, because loading screen times take forever on my system!
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    Yes
    cyncie wrote: »

Same.

also same.

I don't want open world but i wouldn't mind going over the neighboring lots to use item or 2 without travelling

maybe id build more parks then...
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,446 Member
    Where is the No option?
    No way. I don't see how the game can "open" a whole neighborhood without taking control of all of the other Sim households the player isn't currently playing and I don't want that. I play rotationally/colonization/world population and the majority of Sim "neighbors" are my own Sims. Neighborhoods are already pretty open, just not the households. I'm fine with that. I just wish I could edit said neighborhoods.
    #Team Occult
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited November 2021
    Where is the No option?
    I've changed my answer from undecided to no. I think the new neighbourhood stories option will eventually manage to achieve what I was thinking the open neighbourhood might do (unplayed sims progressing with their lives). I don't want open neighbourhoods on top of that, because it's fewer options and less control for me, fewer options considering where to place my played sims and less control on what happens to them. I was ready to have just one played household per each neighbourhood, but now I'm not.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Where is the No option?
    No,because open neighborhoods could impact game performance. Also,you'd have to think about how much memory open neighborhoods would take up,and some people don't have computers that powerful.

One more thing: Colton-can you please stop with the Justine Keaton obsession? It comes off as creepy and weird.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I always wanted open world since the game came out! :)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited November 2021
    For me Open World and Open Neighborhood has the same mechanics other than the ability to connect other neighborhoods that is present in Sims 4 but not in Sims 3. I do not assume that there will be a lot creation tool for you as can have the Open Neighborhood w/o the ability to create lots but EA/Maxis could do themselves but I rather have that function to do myself and if I did, I would welcome it with open arms. The ability to create many neighborhoods should be tied to how well your system is equipped meaning better specs more bell and whistles and less specs less bells and whistles. In some aspects being I see both Open World and Open Neighborhood as having the same abilities Open Worlds would not be necessary.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,030 Member
    To me it would make sense to be able to walk up to the lot next door and knock/go to the park/visit the library while saving travelling to lots that are further away, so yes, open neighborhoods makes sense to me.

In one of my saves I have a house next to a night club, and it is a bit weird to see people leaving the night club, walk right past their door to get to the point on the street where the game recognise the "end" and will start the loading screen to only then be able to get them home. I mean their door is right there! I can see the inside of their house through their windows!

However, I do second all those who say that this would be desirable only if it didn't impact the game performance.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!