Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it best to start a family or be a single sim?

I get a little bored with a single sim after awhile. But I get bored with raising children too. I can't remember the last time I raised a child until it's parents died and left the child as the inheritor of their property. But when I play a single sim I get attached to some pretty simette and end up moving her in and marrying her and having children only to get tired of that and create a new sim to play with. Which way do you think is the best way to play this game? Hmmm!!!

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    edited November 2021
    I don't think there is a best way, just a personal preference. In some games I like to start a single sim, sometimes I create two adults (couple or roommates), sometimes I place a single parent with a toddler.
    It all depends on what you enjoy. Do you want to play dating and falling in love, do you mind 'waiting' during the pregnancy, do you enjoy raising children,...? By the way you can age up Sims early with a birthday cake if raising children takes too long.

Personally I enjoy starting with a single sim, mostly rags to riches style, and build up their life. This includes starting a family but also furnishing a nice house and getting promoted in a career. This is what I do most. Recently I created a sim with story book mode (or whatever it is called) so I have a little direction and two skills to start. That is be a fun alternative when I get bored.

If you get bored with raising families, perhaps you can deliberately play a sim without kids and focus on something else like completing collections, finishing aspirations, maxing skills,... I did that once and enjoyed it more than I expected.

My only advice for players new to the sims game would be to start with a small family, one or two sims to get to know the game mechanics and learn to take care of sims. Once a simmer knows how the game works, they should play what they enjoy most.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,959 Member
    I'm very much a family player, and often big(ish) families at that. I enjoy the challenge of keeping everyone's needs up, and making them do stuff e.g. learning skills/completing their aspirations etc. The girls in my avatar are members of generation 3 of a family of Spellcasters (I count generation 1 as being the original couple I created in CAS to start the save). The original couple had four kids, and the girls in my avatar have seven cousins.
    I also like having multiples in my game. Sometimes I have them be really similar to one another, sometimes I have them be quite different. I also like seeing how genetics play out. The girls in my avatar look really similar aside from eye colour; one has their dad's brown eyes and the other has their mum's blue eyes.
  • xxboahancockxxboahancock Posts: 21 Member
    @Darstep0301 As for me, I always have this mindset of having a baby to all the women Sims I'll meet. So I always start off with a single male young adult. No responsibility of raising them up myself, (probably one of the reasons why I enjoyed TS3 than TS4), since I love that feeling of having to hide your affairs to avoid breaking up with them. Then once I've aged up, usually when I'm in my mid-adult, I'll marry the one I'm closest with and the prettiest. Once I decided to be a "family-man", I'll get all my kids to move-in with me so I can give them a good future, until the my main character dies, and I'll choose the best child to be my main then let the others move out one by one. And the gameplay repeats. B)
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    No right way to play, I personally have 5 saves that I play completely different ways. I often feel the same getting bored with single sims, then get bored after starting a family. My personal solution to this, is playing the single until I get bored, then I switch focus to one of their kids. I never keep playing a Sim once their child (whichever I pick if there are multiple) grows up. Once the next generation is old enough, I move on with my chosen child. I try to focus on something different each generation to keep it interesting, for example my famous actor Sim might have a child that grows up to be a farmer.
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I don't think there is a best way, just a personal preference. In some games I like to start a single sim, sometimes I create two adults (couple or roommates), sometimes I place a single parent with a toddler.
    It all depends on what you enjoy. Do you want to play dating and falling in love, do you mind 'waiting' during the pregnancy, do you enjoy raising children,...? By the way you can age up Sims early with a birthday cake if raising children takes too long.

Personally I enjoy starting with a single sim, mostly rags to riches style, and build up their life. This includes starting a family but also furnishing a nice house and getting promoted in a career. This is what I do most. Recently I created a sim with story book mode (or whatever it is called) so I have a little direction and two skills to start. That is be a fun alternative when I get bored.

If you get bored with raising families, perhaps you can deliberately play a sim without kids and focus on something else like completing collections, finishing aspirations, maxing skills,... I did that once and enjoyed it more than I expected.

My only advice for players new to the sims game would be to start with a small family, one or two sims to get to know the game mechanics and learn to take care of sims. Once a simmer knows how the game works, they should play what they enjoy most.

If I had to pick a play style it would be as a single sim. As I said before, I don't like raising children, so playing family man is out. Maybe if I allow my sim to age until he dies and start over with a new sim will do the trick. Hmmm!!!
    @Darstep0301 As for me, I always have this mindset of having a baby to all the women Sims I'll meet. So I always start off with a single male young adult. No responsibility of raising them up myself, (probably one of the reasons why I enjoyed TS3 than TS4), since I love that feeling of having to hide your affairs to avoid breaking up with them. Then once I've aged up, usually when I'm in my mid-adult, I'll marry the one I'm closest with and the prettiest. Once I decided to be a "family-man", I'll get all my kids to move-in with me so I can give them a good future, until the my main character dies, and I'll choose the best child to be my main then let the others move out one by one. And the gameplay repeats. B)
    TS4 and MCCC have child support I believe.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member

If I had to pick a play style it would be as a single sim. As I said before, I don't like raising children, so playing family man is out. Maybe if I allow my sim to age until he dies and start over with a new sim will do the trick. Hmmm!!!

That is the beauty of the sims, you can play however you like. :smiley:

That is the beauty of the sims, you can play however you like. :smiley:

Yeah Atreya33. I'm going to start playing a single sim until he dies to see how that feels. I hate to see a sim die, but maybe that's what it will take to put some finality to a very open ended game.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited November 2021
    Why not do it all, whenever you like, circle of life and all that
    just remember that all sims and families stories do not have to be the same
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I always start with a single sim and go from there! I find it easier to connect with a single sim at first.
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    I refuse to play with a single sim because to me it is the most boring gameplay ever. I tend to play with households of three or more. That way, there are more storylines for me to create and follow.

Have you ever thought about switching up your household setup? Perhaps you could have a household with roommates, and pursue each of their individual lifepaths? That way, it will take your focus off of playing a single sim all the time.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I prefer starting with at least two sims as they depend less on me than a single sim would.

For more fun, I often have the sims visit community lots or other households to meet more sims.
    I refuse to play with a single sim because to me it is the most boring gameplay ever. I tend to play with households of three or more. That way, there are more storylines for me to create and follow.

Have you ever thought about switching up your household setup? Perhaps you could have a household with roommates, and pursue each of their individual lifepaths? That way, it will take your focus off of playing a single sim all the time.

I'm kinda hooked on "being" the sim. I tend to start off single, meet a girl, get married, have a couple of children, and then I get bored bc of raising the children. It's actually funny teaching the child how to potty and helping with the homework, but the game tends to be more focused on the children than on the sim I'm portraying.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I like to start with a single sim and then create a story from there. My current legacy started with a single sim that I created in CAS and she ended up marrying Paka, one of the sims that came with Island Living. So, now what I do is have the heir meet and marry a townie. It doesn't matter how they meet, as long as its a sim that I do not control. The most recent heir actually met his fiancee at one of the festivals when he was a teen. His mother met his father when they were in college and his father was the Environmental Manager.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I get a little bored with a single sim after awhile. But I get bored with raising children too. I can't remember the last time I raised a child until it's parents died and left the child as the inheritor of their property. But when I play a single sim I get attached to some pretty simette and end up moving her in and marrying her and having children only to get tired of that and create a new sim to play with. Which way do you think is the best way to play this game? Hmmm!!!

I think you should go ahead and open a few new saves. In each save create a different set of circumstances. IE Save 1 The Single Sim, allowing you to explore the life of a single sim. Save 2 The Couple; Save 3 The family. That way when you get bored with one particular lifestyle, you can switch saves to explore another.

At any rate, have FUN.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2021

It just sounds like you need more adventure in your sims lives. A single sim is boring to me too. But I don't like raising children or playing traditional families either so I don't do that. I started out playing that way with a 9 to 5 job and wondered why I was so darn bored lol.

Then I thought to myself one day, why do I have to follow the same old boring routine? This is the kind of game you play however YOU want.
    So my sim quit his job, divorced his wife and got rid of the kids (sorry kids😆)

And ever since then I go out of my way to create my own fun storylines of apocalypse, fantasy words, alien invasions or just whatever I'm in the mood for that day. Sure it takes some imagination too because this game doesn't give us enough wild fantasy things. But with the help of a few mods,cc and my imagination I make it work. And most importantly make it FUN!
    My sim hasn't worked in real life years lol. I very rarely play romance and don't raise kids traditionally. Though I do enjoy playing with kids so I always have some in my sims lives one way or another.
    Playing strangerville is a good way to break out the traditional mold too and do something adventurous.
    Or have your sim(s) explore the temple in the jungle pack. I took three vampire brothers there recently for the first time! It was fun!

Maybe give your sim a close sibling or best friend? To be with. So he's not lonely but doesn't end up in a traditional wife and kid role?
    Maybe give them a little child sibling if you would like a kid?
    It's why I mainly end up playing siblings and friends.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I mostly start with a single sim male who's straight or gay or a straight female, always YA. Only once did I have a YA widow with a child. It's a sim I created or a random townie from a game I saved. Then I like to see who comes along for them to marry and have a family. I end up adding thier BFF's to my rotation too usually some premade. I usually play till my starter sim dies.

But, I have custom aging and story progression with mods. That makes the world more alive for me.

Really, however you play is fine. Some people like starting over a lot, while I prefer to play a save for a long time.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    If the save is new, then I tend to start with about five roommates that share a theme. Something like a bunch of youths in their compulsory military service. Then they all find their "true calling" careerwise, and partners. They will split up, but the resulting families will stay close.
    Then in the later stages, putting a single sim into that save and experiencing your world through their eyes can be extremely satisfying.

Nothing wrong with starting over all the time, though. In addition to my main save I have many short lived side saves with narrow, quickly attainable gols. Its definitely a fun way to play.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I'm a family player at heart. I prefer progressing the family tree, but I've only ever made it to the 4th generation with one family before getting bored.

I've started to branch out and play more rotationally. That usually consists of rotating between households that have some sort of connection between them. That came from my Westbrook family legacy, the above mentioned 4 generation save. I haven't played that save in months.

Currently, I'm playing the premade families. I've had a lot of fun with it. I've tried a few premades in the past but got bored of the rotation. This time around, I've made it all the way through Willow Creek, and halfway through Oasis Springs.

I mostly let the game do what it does, but I have pushed a few of my own boundaries, such as Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab both having affairs--Geoffrey with their butter and Nancy with J Huntington. Bob and Eliza have gotten divorced. This may seem mild to many other simmers, but I usually play happy families. I didn't want to this time, and that's probably why I'm enjoying it so much.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I think it just depends on what mood you are in. Most of the time, I play a single sim. But when I want something different, I go for a family or a single mom and kid etc.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    start off single then you steal someone else's SO.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    My main Sims are a married couple. Over the years, they have had children, and once I even tried a legacy with them, and they had a grandchild. But mostly I don't like playing with kids, so I age them up and move them out. Maybe with the new progression thing, I can get them married, move them out and the grandkids will come without me needing to do anything.

But recently I have been playing random gallery sims til I get bored and then move to another one.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve played all kinds of ways, but most of my households are families because I love watching the genetics play out and I think it’s fun to watch the kids grow up. But it would get old to play the same way all the time. I’ve enjoyed single sims most when putting them through university and meeting all kinds of potential mates, then settling down with my favorite one and starting the new season of their lives. It can also be okay playing “middle-aged” adults/elders whose kids have left the nest. My Cottage Living Rags to Ranches save got to a place where I’m letting the couple finally start a family, but since their focus has been on farming for so long, it feels like a bummer (but I also wanted to go back to a rotational save anyway) so I guess it all depends on my current goals and whether or not kids would get in the way.
    babajayne wrote: »
    I’ve played all kinds of ways, but most of my households are families because I love watching the genetics play out and I think it’s fun to watch the kids grow up. But it would get old to play the same way all the time. I’ve enjoyed single sims most when putting them through university and meeting all kinds of potential mates, then settling down with my favorite one and starting the new season of their lives. It can also be okay playing “middle-aged” adults/elders whose kids have left the nest. My Cottage Living Rags to Ranches save got to a place where I’m letting the couple finally start a family, but since their focus has been on farming for so long, it feels like a bummer (but I also wanted to go back to a rotational save anyway) so I guess it all depends on my current goals and whether or not kids would get in the way.

I'm just starting a family with my sim, and he and Morgan Fryes just had their 1st child. I say 1st because the 1st child is a girl. I didn't cheat with MCCC to make sure it was a boy, but if the next one is a girl I'll cheat and make it a boy. I intend to have at least 1 male child to carry on the family name. I think I'll play this legacy thing through until I get tired of it.
    cytnl wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with starting over a lot. Honestly, that's what I do, since most of my play is situation/challenge based. If I'm doing a challenge, I usually start a new save after I'm finished - which leads me to ask: have you considered if this play might be something that you enjoy? If so, there are a lot of them in a master list right here on the forums. It might help give you a direction for your sims other than just start a family, since you don't seem to enjoy that.

Right now, I'm playing the rabbit raising challenge, so I have one YA sim and 2 rabbits, with an eventual goal of having 7.

That said, I normally play one YA sim and a pet, or one YA sim, one toddler, and a pet. My 'family' gameplay is always single YA with one adopted child (and pet), as I dislike romance gameplay entirely (I'm on the asexual spectrum), and I get stressed and/or bored once I have more than two, maybe three, sims that I have to control. I used to play with aging on, but that makes me too focused on aspirations and careers and means I don't have fun downtime for my sims, so I've recently switched aging off and I am enjoying it a lot more, as I can now age up sims on my schedule.

I start off with aging off. But when I want a real challenge, I leave it on and hunt for a mate to have kids with.