Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the "life styles" hamper your game?

Life styles can be annoying at times. As a matter of fact, all of the time. I mean I'll be outside, but my sim is the indoorsy type and I'll get the go inside buff. Or vice versa. It's 200 simoleons to rid yourself of an unwanted lifestyle but I don't think I should have to spend 1 simoleon. Either/or, whats your opinion on life styles? Hmmm!!!

Comments

• Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    There is only one lifestyle which I dislike and try to get rid of it as soon as I can and that's the workaholic one because my sim gets tense all the time. Other than that, I am fine with the rest of them.
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    Nh6650 wrote: »
    There is only one lifestyle which I dislike and try to get rid of it as soon as I can and that's the workaholic one because my sim gets tense all the time. Other than that, I am fine with the rest of them.

Yeah the workaholic is a do-sy if I say so myself.
  • SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 160 Member
    I like most of them, they bring more personality to my sims and playing with different sims feels different.

Close-knit/people person would need some tuning with the amounts of friends you need to gain them, though, and not include family members + pets. I use a mod to increase the number for now...

You can also buy a potion from reward store to get rid of a lifestyle, no need to use simoleons. And it was small amount of satisfaction points required, so quite an easy solution IMO. 😊
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I like them enough to keep the feature on. I think lifestyles are kind of repetitive and especially which ones my sims get, but I still enjoy seeing what they end up with. They're easy to get rid of too, I'm fine with the cost. I think the feature could be better, but like said I don't want it gone.
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    edited November 2021
    I always get the same lifestyles no matter what sim I play, outdoorsy, close knit and single n loving it.

It’s like I don’t know how to play the game in any other way 😂
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2021
    I think lifestyles are good because they encourage you to play your sims differently. But they can be a bit annoying where they offer very little benefit and feels more like they are designed to punish the player than reward them. Like Energetic and Outdoorsy lifestyle which seems like they will give you a bad buff every day if you don't follow them.

I like that you often get notifications if you are about to unlock a lifestyle but with some lifestyles it feels like you are not getting any notifications and they will instead just trigger too often, like People person and Close Knit.

My favorite lifestyles are workaholic and techie, I like that workaholic allows you to go to work whenever you want, which is something that I have wanted for a long time.
  • AntiquaAntiqua Posts: 106 Member
    The lifestyles that hamper my game and annoy me the most are the People Person and Close-Knit lifestyles. Not as a concept - I like that the options are there. But I dislike the execution - I don't like that it counts in the family members. I've had some perfectly loner type Sims with Close-Knit lifestyles (only friends are SO and a sibling or someone they met as children) that have twins or tiplets at some point, growing the family above the limit (was it 4 friends or smth) and boom - losing a lifestyle just because their friendly with their kids. Should I make them dislike the children? So it should count only friends outside the household.

Other lifestyles are fine and sometimes I even try to gear the Sims towards some unusual lifestyles.
    How is the Haas family doing? Check out their struggles (and rules they have to follow) in this LP.
    And the Haas Family Tree, with some spoilers for the later chapters is made in the Plum Tree App.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    My only problem lifestyles are "close-knit" and "single and loving it", Close-knit is really irritating since to achieve it is to just be friends with your family and know maybe one or two outside sims to get the lifestyle. I had a stay-at-home-dad get the close knit lifestyle because he was looking after his twin toddlers, but once they aged up I sent him to work and he was constantly tense because suddenly he was around too many people. Like there's a difference between being tight with a small group of people and being socially anxious. Or maybe that's how it works? Hard to tell because I'm a social butterfly irl.

Single and loving it is my second problematic lifestyle as it crops up far too quickly, especially in teens. Realistically I get that some people don't even get an awakening to feelings about other people until their late teens, but in the sims, I feel like some lifestyles shouldn't activate until they're Young Adults.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The 'energetic' lifestyle is the one I dread. My Sim does yoga every morning not only to stay fit, but to make her focused or inspired, depending on what she will be doing that day. Inevitably, she gets that blasted 'energetic' lifestyle, which makes her energetic instead of focused or inspired. I've spent loads of aspiration points poofing that lifestyle. (I even put up with the 'sedentary' lifestyle, which my millionaire-aspiring Sim got from to much time programming and hacking. She complained a bit about having to be up and about in the morning, but at least she wasn't energetic.)

The others can be mildly annoying - my Sims usually get the 'outdoorsy' from gardening, which makes them a bit whiny when I want them to knit or read. I don't mind the 'workaholic' much, since my Sims usually get it when I'm trying to complete the Renaissance aspiration, and it helps them to move up in their careers.

'Close-knit' and 'single & loving it' are also pretty common for my Sims, and they don't have much affect on my Sims.

The one I like is the 'healthy eating' lifestyle, unless my Sim is off-the-grid. They get some new healthy foods to make, but they don't work off-the-grid.

@halloweenchild : My Sims have got the 'close-knit' when they lived completely alone and had no Sim friends or family - they got it from their animal friendships!
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    After a few months, I turned them off and haven’t missed them at all. It just became a chore to chase these bored or tense moodlets away. The Outdoorsy one is not quite right, as you said. One of my sims got it because he upgraded his rocket, then it seemed nothing he’d do outside would register as being outdoors at all. I’d have him chilling in the hot tub for hours (nearly impossible unless the stereo upgrade is there) but no, he would get new moodlets for being cooped up. I had Frequent Travelers that couldn’t spend more than 2 days at home, but they still got homesick on vacations. I, too, had Energetic sims from yoga and the whole point of doing yoga for me was to get them inspired or focused, but they became energized all the time so that was annoying. I was also getting more than 3 lifestyles per sim which was (maybe still is) a common bug.

Then even after turning the lifestyles off, I had to remove them manually and I continued to get notifications about them, and some sims continued to get the moodlets! It finally stopped after moving them to a different lot, so if anyone has this problem just try moving them out and back in again.

For me, it was just more trouble than it was worth!
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    No. I have not noticed any significant impact from lifestyles.
  • j_nellyj_nelly Posts: 20 Member
    I like the lifestyles but wish there were more also don't enjoy the negative moodlet but I have so many positive ones it usually doesn't impact the sim too much - wouldn't say it impacts my gameplay. Would probably just remove it with satisfaction points as said above.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Lifestyles don't bother me because I don't use them. I know some people like them because they feel it adds depth to their sims, but I find that they make me feel the opposite. It makes them feel one-dimensional to me, confined to becoming stereotypes or caricatures. Those don't tend to fit well with my play style. Besides, if I wanted that kind of sim, I'd likely have already created them to be temporary characters in some story or other. They'd be far too boring for me to play for very long beyond the purposes of a story beat or something.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • HeathertibbHeathertibb Posts: 153 Member
    I very rarely get lifestyles in my gameplay, but I'm happy when I do. It adds more to their character and helps them stand out from the other household members.
    I always get the same lifestyles no matter what sim I play, outdoorsy, close knit and single n loving it.

It’s like I don’t know how to play the game in any other way 😂

The single and loving it is cool until I want a girlfriend. lol
    The 'energetic' lifestyle is the one I dread. My Sim does yoga every morning not only to stay fit, but to make her focused or inspired, depending on what she will be doing that day. Inevitably, she gets that blasted 'energetic' lifestyle, which makes her energetic instead of focused or inspired. I've spent loads of aspiration points poofing that lifestyle. (I even put up with the 'sedentary' lifestyle, which my millionaire-aspiring Sim got from to much time programming and hacking. She complained a bit about having to be up and about in the morning, but at least she wasn't energetic.)

The others can be mildly annoying - my Sims usually get the 'outdoorsy' from gardening, which makes them a bit whiny when I want them to knit or read. I don't mind the 'workaholic' much, since my Sims usually get it when I'm trying to complete the Renaissance aspiration, and it helps them to move up in their careers.

'Close-knit' and 'single & loving it' are also pretty common for my Sims, and they don't have much affect on my Sims.

The one I like is the 'healthy eating' lifestyle, unless my Sim is off-the-grid. They get some new healthy foods to make, but they don't work off-the-grid.

@halloweenchild : My Sims have got the 'close-knit' when they lived completely alone and had no Sim friends or family - they got it from their animal friendships!

Maybe it's me but I didn't think the outdoorsy lifestyle would apply to gardening. I took my sim fishing right behind his house and still got the trapped inside buff.
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    I turned them off pretty early on. The close knit one was giving me problems since as soon as my sims started having kids, it would be triggered and they’d be tense all the time. I agree with those who say it should only count non-household members.

The straw for me was when I had a mermaid become a vet - halfway through her day she’d get tense from being indoors, which would be fine if it didn’t also mean she would only be mean to clients. It wasn’t worth the frustration to me.
    babajayne wrote: »
    After a few months, I turned them off and haven’t missed them at all. It just became a chore to chase these bored or tense moodlets away. The Outdoorsy one is not quite right, as you said. One of my sims got it because he upgraded his rocket, then it seemed nothing he’d do outside would register as being outdoors at all. I’d have him chilling in the hot tub for hours (nearly impossible unless the stereo upgrade is there) but no, he would get new moodlets for being cooped up. I had Frequent Travelers that couldn’t spend more than 2 days at home, but they still got homesick on vacations. I, too, had Energetic sims from yoga and the whole point of doing yoga for me was to get them inspired or focused, but they became energized all the time so that was annoying. I was also getting more than 3 lifestyles per sim which was (maybe still is) a common bug.

Then even after turning the lifestyles off, I had to remove them manually and I continued to get notifications about them, and some sims continued to get the moodlets! It finally stopped after moving them to a different lot, so if anyone has this problem just try moving them out and back in again.

How do you turn them off. Didn't they come with Snowy Escape?
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

Check the Gameplay section of the game settings, I think that’s where you can turn them off. Yes, they came with Snowy Escape.

Check the Gameplay section of the game settings, I think that’s where you can turn them off. Yes, they came with Snowy Escape.

Cool. I'm on my way now. Thx!!!
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I don't hate the lifestyles, but I do think they need some serious work and tuning to actually...make sense lol. Needing only 4 friends to be a "people person" has been pointed out as one example, and the indoor/outdoor thing I think needs some fixing so it actually accounts for being in/out doors rather than JUST labeling certain activities as corresponding to it. It's also super easy to get certain lifestyles, but nearly impossible to get others in a way that seems really unbalanced. I've never had a sim get the Adrenaline Seeker, Health Food Nut, Junk Food Fiend, Hungry for Love, Frequent Traveler, or Technophobe lifestyles, despite having sims that seem like they should have earned them, while things like Technophile, Workaholic, & Single and Loving it are ridiculously easy to get, to the point where they have kind of lost all meaning and don't really seem distinctive at all since nearly every sim gets them at some point. There also doesn't seem to be counter "slacker" lifestyle to workaholic, which is kind of a shame.

I do like some aspects of lifestyles, and I like the concept of the idea, but it could definitely use some updates to the execution before I feel like it's something that really functions and adds something to the game.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Sometimes. "Close-knit" and "People Person" put brackets around maintaining a particular number of relationships, which feels inorganic and artificial to me. Of the two, "Close-Knit" is more troublesome, as it limits to 4 relationships above acquaintance and that is only half of a full house, and the Tense moodlet it imposes can't be offset by any easy means - I end up needing to invest 3k satisfaction points in "Carefree".

The Energetic one (I forget the name) can also be disruptive of tasks that require time and stillness, especially annoying when I achieve it because my sims are practicing yoga - which sure they do to keep in shape, but it's really about body-mind harmony, not about being a get-up-and go activity nut.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I'm not bothered by them. I get a tad dismayed, however, when my Teens all end up with the Single & Loving It lifestyle, when they are on a track to be married. For a time, their mother had that lifestyle and I was like, say what? You're a married woman, for decades. My celebrity always gets the People Person lifestyle, but then again, he loves and appreciates his fans and likes to mingle, sign autographs and take Selfies with them. I guess he earns it.

The only real downside I've noticed lately is the third Teen in the household was suddenly holding a grudge. Turns out his father's Workaholic lifestyle made him feel neglected. I felt badly for Joey. This new game save, however, I've noticed that Joseph is going out of his way (I play will autonomy on) to engage Joey in conversations. Could it be my Sims really are smarter? Or am I just noticing what he's likely been doing all along because Joey was sulking? At any rate, I do find the lifestyles add a layer of fun to the game.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    I play Rags to Riches all the time so all my Sims are workaholic's and always tense LOL. So, I turned it off and haven't looked back.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    As others have said, I found them a good idea that was... less than well executed. Some Lifestyles were too easy to get and didn't actually suit the character of the sim that got them, others that did suit said sim were devilishly hard to even progress on, let alone activate. I ended up deciding that the whole headache wasn't worth it and turned them off. Haven't missed them one bit.