Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

INTRODUCING NEIGHBORHOOD STORIES - Bringing New Life to the Neighborhood

Comments

• AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited November 2021
    Not my cup of tea. Turned it off in the Sims 3 and will do so again in the Sims 4.

Fingers crossed the dev team gives us a toggle to turn this feature on or off because this particular feature is a drastic game changer, so it really really really needs an on/off switch.

If we don't get a toggle for this, I have all the confidence in the world that some modder will eventually figure out a way to turn this feature off. And while I'm patiently waiting for that to happen, maybe I can take advantage of that time away from playing the game, and instead, catch up on some building projects I've been neglecting for several months in a few of my game saves. So no worries.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I'm just a little concerned how the new "Break-up Couple" in Villainous Valentine aspiration will effect my favorite sims couples? I wouldn't want them to break up.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited November 2021
    I loved story progression in TS3 because I wanted the whole world to advance and feel like a living world, but I did not want to play everyone in order to do it.

I hated story progression in TS3 because I played multiple households in rotation and I needed to protect them from unwanted changes. What I hated most was moving my sims out of the homes or apartments that I had given them and marrying them off. I was not bothered as much by sims that took on sims as a romantic interest, as that would be a source for drama.

What saved TS3 story progression for me was NRaas mods.
    I could protect my sims from unwanted changes and let story progression do what it wanted with the others.
    What I ended up doing was simply turning on story progression just to shake things up and establish changes. And then turn it off to see if I liked the changes. I would adjust things and let aging play out the new directions.

This method seems like it has permissions baked into it.
    It should have an off switch, like in TS3, I could turn it on when I wanted to shake things up and turn it off when I didn't want anything to change or bother me.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Love this!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    As long as it can leave my played sims alone, I am all for this :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm just a little concerned how the new "Break-up Couple" in Villainous Valentine aspiration will effect my favorite sims couples? I wouldn't want them to break up.

It looks like you instigate the break up, so if you don't do that, they won't break up. At least that's my read on it.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Not my cup of tea. Turned it off in the Sims 3 and will do so again in the Sims 4.

Fingers crossed the dev team gives us a toggle to turn this feature on or off because this particular feature is a drastic game changer, so it really really really needs an on/off switch.

From how I understand the initial post, they seem to think that us being able to say no to, let's say a breakup, is enough. But the fact that my (currently inactive) sims even consider breaking up is already trampling on my worldbuilding :'(
    I really hope I'm wrong and there will be a toggle.
    If we don't get a toggle for this, I have all the confidence in the world that some modder will eventually figure out a way to turn this feature off. And while I'm patiently waiting for that to happen, maybe I can take advantage of that time away from playing the game, and instead, catch up on some building projects I've been neglecting for several months in a few of my game saves. So no worries.

Or just take your game offline before the update. It's what I usually do. In fact, I'm so paranoid that I deactivate internet altogether before launching Sims 4. I don't need it anyway when playing.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I very much dislike the fact that the hoods remain the same at start and never develops any further unless you want to play every household.
    This will be amazing to see how the town progresses now and I can't wait till the 30th <3
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited November 2021
    As a rotational player I already use the "Tallk Up" option from Get Together since I play with close-knit friends and families.

I skipped Eco Lifestyle precisely because I didn't want the town to control the behavior of my sims. This Neighborhood Stories feature sound like a simulation within a simulation. Why should my active household constantly control/advice what their friends and family do? Feels like I'll be playing Sims Forever through them. Phone calls are already an issue. Most recently is the likes/dislikes popup for my saved households. I really hope this is truly optional.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited November 2021
    After it comes out we'll see how it plays... for now i like it and i don't like it...

i love story progression for when i'm playing legacies and i don't want it for when i'm playing in rotation. So an universal toggle would be essential.

On the other side:
    mika wrote: »
    I love story progression so I’m happy about this but I’m a little confused. Will we need to give permission for every thing our unplayed houses do? I want my neighbors lives to be autonomous and for them to grow and change on their own
    This. I love story progression when it's autonomous. That's what makes it cool imo. The surprise of finding my sim's friend in the park with a new partner... or a baby. I don't want to decide it all...

Anyway this update is not enough to make me install the game again. It's nothing new... i've already tried story progression in this game (with mccc) and it doesn't fill the voids for me...
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'm not a story progression person myself, but nice to see it as an option. I think I am more looking forward to if there is a way to stop the annoying phone calls and neighbors wanting to spam the same interaction like push ups and troll the forums. I do like how Cottage Living makes the neighborhood feel more alive with the animals, so I'll have to see if the update makes Sims feel less robotic or not. Also will there be story progression options for generating townies like having it chose to generate supernaturals or not by type like the Sims 3 had for the Supernaturals EP life states? Also how will neighborhood size be affected if story progression is going on? Will it go on with rotating households on the same file and how will it work with culling in the game as new NPCs are introduced with packs?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Ok. This not new for me! I have used this feature and enjoy it since the release of Get Together! But the one from Eco is not well tunned: you can ignore the calls and the answers are so random. Actually now I have a household in my 4 years old rotational save that I do not want to play, why?? because they got a baby, both parent were about to be elders, I did not wanted more stories with them.

It really worries me that you are missing around with a good feature (GT) that has worked fine since day one. I have outlined my stories with it for YEARS. Yes, I will get new aspirations (I like that) but looking at all the old features that have being broken with the last patches, well, maybe I will get new-old broken stuff thanks to your innovations.

Sorry but I feel the older packs have better coding. Bugs are inevitable with Sims, is a complex game. But since DU I feel the quality of the game is going down and down and down with every patch/pack.

If you are going to use my already paid features in the basegame, well, at least keep it working as it was intended to work since day one.

@SimGuruNate I hope that you understand my concern, you did an awesome job with the Onsen feature (SE was my dreamy EP), but now is BROKEN due to a patch, it has been broken for months (you can not go for the Mountain Climb Excursion now). It worked fine when the EP was released. So I hope my Get Together feature will keep working after the next updated :|
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    I already have story progression, with MCCC. You can fine tune it to the nth degree, which EA will never let us do in the vanilla game. So I'm a little apprehensive about this, mostly because I suspect it's going to royally mess over MCCC in a way even Deaderpool won't be able to fix in a day or two. But no worries, I'll just not update for a while until the mods are updated and I read about how other people are enjoying (or not) this new feature. Time to go on a build downloading spree to tide me over during the offline times!

For those of you who won't or can't use mods and wanted this, I'm genuinely happy for you. I just agree with most who have said it will be a very good thing to be able to toggle this off if you're not interested.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    You choose how Neighborhood Stories affects your game.

Sounds good to me.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    I am HYPED for this feature, been waiting for this for awhile! Now console users can get story progression! I play both PC and console version btw but yea. As for the SP issue, if there is an issue with people that don't like SP, maxis could just enable it onto non playable households thus allows anti-SPer's be able to rotate without interference, that should fix the issue.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    FINALLY, the worlds won't just age and die without player actively having to play every. single. household.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    What I'm really looking forward to is even if you have the story progression feature turned off, you can still progress your little neighborhood of Sims through interacting with them and influencing their life decisions like having babies etc.. I can't wait to see how this works out beyond getting them pregnant. Can you age them up when you age up? Can you interact with them in more meaningful ways so it feels like they are working towards the same life goals like pregnancy, career, education? So excited about this update!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I really hope you're right @luthienrising?
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    I really miss story progression from TS3, so I very much like the sound of this. I wanna see my unplayed families changing and developing. Great to see that it's being done in a way where players can choose not to make use of it if they don't want to.

I just hope it doesn't turn out like the Eco Living NAPs, which were... not good.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member

Sounds good to me.

It is good that we can choose. Because I would seriously consider not updating if we can't. I just hope this doesn't end in constant interruptions in the form of pop ups about sims we are not playing. According to the laundry list they are finally addressing the likes and dislikes pop ups. I hope we can turn it off altogether. But I have the impression that is not how it will work.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2021

Sounds good to me.

Yeah, but will it be settings in the game or will it be you having to click "yes, no or cancel" on phonecalls every day?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don’t like the sound of having to influence everything to happen. I would rather it happen autonomously and I would like to fully control which households this will affect as I play rotational and I do not want it to affect any of my played families. I think I will not be updating my game until this gets fleshed out with proper control options including an option to disable it completely.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    I was always afraid of story progression coming to Sims 4, because I didn't want premade townies or my own played Sims to randomly get married and divorce and get married again and have children with half of the town. Now I'm actually excited because we can control it. It sounds great.
    I like the idea of story progression as long as I can control it somehow. I just don't want any chaos and tons of notifications of townies random marriages, divorces or giving births to their umpteenth children.
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    First I want to say, that I am happy for all the players that wanted this feature for so long. :)

I just don't want Story Progression forced on me. I like to control every little detail in the game, because I play with a story in mind. I spend years on my current household, and I don't want anything changing autonomously.

I read the article about it, and I know they said, that the player chooses how much the neighborhood changes.
    But I'm still worried, because they didn't confirm a complete 'turn off neighborhod stories' button.
    And even if there was, will it be really turned off? For example, think about the 'autonomy off' button. I always play with autonomy off, but played Sims still do things on their own like sit somewhere else than I told them to, wash the dishes autonomously after eating, stand up autonomously even though I told them to sit or the other way around, hug each other autonomously ect.
    These autonomous things drive me crazy and I can only keep playing the game because of mods who do not allow these autonomous behaviors. (A big shoutout to bienchen!!! :) )

I really, really hope that this new Neighborhood Story Progression Feature will be optional, so that people, who don't want any changes in the neighborhood, can turn it completely off! And I also do not want any phonecalls where I have to choose for Sims. For example, it was such an awkward moment when the mom called the grown up daughter to ask if she should get another baby...I definetly didn't want that, so I had to choose the negative reaction that was rudly worded, something like: "You? A mother? What a joke!" And then she answered: "You know, just because you said that, we're getting a baby...we'll show you!"
    I had to quit the game without saving because of that forced phone call. It didn't fit their personalities and my story at all. :(

So I beg you, dear devs, please make sure that we have the option to turn everything story progression related 100% completely off!

That said, thank you for always bringing new features to the Sims 4! I LOVE this game, and I'm excited for all the new content to come. (as long as it is optional and not forced).
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I'm liking the new aspirations but I have to say I am disappointed to see that this isn't what I would call genuine story progression. I want an in-game way to enable the sort of story progression that MCCC enables so that unplayed sims will automatically marry and have children without me having to interfere.