Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hello... again...

WOW, SOO much has been going on... took me 45mins and a cup of coffee to get through EVERYTHING that's been happening since I left.

I have missed being here, I adore everyone's opinions and looking out for each other. I truly forgot people can be so nice and genuine.

At the moment, since I've got a plethora of free time on my hands now, again :'( ... I've been trying to sort out my blog to make it, better.
    Other blogs seem to be so much more amazing with all these in-sync moving parts, link jumps, and things I just have no idea how to create or get to because I can't afford to pay for the extras.
    I've been trying not to look, but I'm also reading and catching up on others' stories, so, going to the bogs is kind of a given at that point; it's not so much that writers' block has been affecting me, but I go back to my story and... I just sit, staring at my page, re-reading what I've written, and I'm happy with it, but at the moment, now, I'm stuck and it sucks.

I love your blog, @IvoryButterfly . For me, I don't really care about the fancy stuff that comes with the paid sites--I like free WordPress best. Free WordPress blogs always work in my WP Reader, and they're also great because they don't often break! So often, I read those who use pay products exclaiming that stuff breaks, licenses expire, and the products they use are no longer supported.

Anyway, for me, it's the story that draws me in!

Hope you're doing OK.

Also, hi, @SimTresa ! Box of Chocolates is such a fun story! Glad you shared your link here, and I didn't realize that Noriko came from @mercuryfoam 's Sims! Noriko is adorable.

Actually, the ones based on Mercuryfoam's sims are Masato, Kirino and Takeo Yamaguchi. Noriko only exists in my game: she's adopted.
    image.png
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I love your blog, @IvoryButterfly . For me, I don't really care about the fancy stuff that comes with the paid sites--I like free WordPress best. Free WordPress blogs always work in my WP Reader, and they're also great because they don't often break! So often, I read those who use pay products exclaiming that stuff breaks, licenses expire, and the products they use are no longer supported.

Anyway, for me, it's the story that draws me in!

Hope you're doing OK.

Also, hi, @SimTresa ! Box of Chocolates is such a fun story! Glad you shared your link here, and I didn't realize that Noriko came from @mercuryfoam 's Sims! Noriko is adorable.

*HUGS* - @CathyTea , Oh I've missed you. And thank you.
    Yes, I'm sure 'm just beating myself up.
    Things have been a little rough of late, but we're getting through it as we always do. Sadly it has been making 'self-conscious' thoughts pop into my head and beat me up a little.

I've been looking at some writing courses from my local community college to do next year in the hopes that maybe they might help with my technique and different perspectives, but I'm waiting to see if I get in or not.

For now, I'm doing my best to pull myself up by my bootstraps, stop sulking, and get stuck into my writing.

*HUGS* to all :smiley:

@IvoryButterfly Good luck! I hope you feel better about things and that things improve for you soon.

Your blog seemed fine to me.
  • IvoryButterflyIvoryButterfly Posts: 1,199 Member
    Well, there's been A LOT that has been going on down my corner of the globe for my little family of late and I'm happy to say that finally, things have started to settle down a bit; to the point where I can now actually sit at my computer and even contemplate writing without feeling like I need to be calling someone, looking or documents or see another Dr, again.

I'm still sitting and staring a little bit, guess my brain is still coming out of survival mode.
    My health took a rough turn as well as a few other personal issues that decided to compile on top of it all. I'm learning that's it's ok to sit and do what I want to do without having to be 'actively productive' is a bit of a learning curb.

I hope everyone is staying safe <3
    mbytI0Z.png
    The Universe & I have agreed to disagree with each other!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Well, there's been A LOT that has been going on down my corner of the globe for my little family of late and I'm happy to say that finally, things have started to settle down a bit; to the point where I can now actually sit at my computer and even contemplate writing without feeling like I need to be calling someone, looking or documents or see another Dr, again.

I'm still sitting and staring a little bit, guess my brain is still coming out of survival mode.
    My health took a rough turn as well as a few other personal issues that decided to compile on top of it all. I'm learning that's it's ok to sit and do what I want to do without having to be 'actively productive' is a bit of a learning curb.

I hope everyone is staying safe <3

Hi, hi! Boy, do I ever hear you on "I'm learning that's it's ok to sit and do what I want to do without having to be 'actively productive' is a bit of a learning curb."

I'm kind of a two-steps forward, one-step back on that one!

Hope you're all having a good holiday season and staying well and safe!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    I've been thinking about maybe switching to Google Blog form Wordpress. Which is getting seriously laggy for some reason. Does anyone use it?
    image.png
  • HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 789 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »
    I've been thinking about maybe switching to Google Blog form Wordpress. Which is getting seriously laggy for some reason. Does anyone use it?

I use blogger from Google. Probably there are fewer ways to personalize the blog in comparison with Wordpress, but it's very easy to set up using templates and I haven't encountered any major issue (up to now). I haven't noticed any particular lag either (but that could also depend a lot on the widgets and template you are using in that moment, regardless of the platform).
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*

I use blogger from Google. Probably there are fewer ways to personalize the blog in comparison with Wordpress, but it's very easy to set up using templates and I haven't encountered any major issue (up to now). I haven't noticed any particular lag either (but that could also depend a lot on the widgets and template you are using in that moment, regardless of the platform).

Thanks. I'm used to Wordpress, so there's that. And the fact that I have lots of stories there. Sine I rotate between stories, I'm also concerned that I wouldn't be able to link the pages the way I do on Wordpress so they lead to the last chapter, not just the last post.
    image.png

Thanks. I'm used to Wordpress, so there's that. And the fact that I have lots of stories there. Sine I rotate between stories, I'm also concerned that I wouldn't be able to link the pages the way I do on Wordpress so they lead to the last chapter, not just the last post.

I, for one, would be so sad if you left WordPress because I use the WordPress Reader to keep up with the blogs I follow, and I've grown accustomed to reading posts by you most mornings with my morning coffee. Of course, I can go make the special effort to read non-WordPress blogs through a web browser, but it's not part of my regular routine, so it's sort of hit-and-miss (mostly miss) for me.

Of course you need to do what works best for you! As one of your regular readers, I'm just saying that I love having you on WordPress.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

I, for one, would be so sad if you left WordPress because I use the WordPress Reader to keep up with the blogs I follow, and I've grown accustomed to reading posts by you most mornings with my morning coffee. Of course, I can go make the special effort to read non-WordPress blogs through a web browser, but it's not part of my regular routine, so it's sort of hit-and-miss (mostly miss) for me.

Of course you need to do what works best for you! As one of your regular readers, I'm just saying that I love having you on WordPress.

i haven't done much reading since work did and still requires masking buy as soon as they don't gonna try and catch up. apprently mom was kidding when she said she was throwing my glasses away. i found them today.

Wordpress has been behaving lately, so I think I'll stay with what I know, don't worry! I love that my blog is part of your morning routine. :blush::kissing:
    image.png

Wordpress has been behaving lately, so I think I'll stay with what I know, don't worry! I love that my blog is part of your morning routine. :blush::kissing:

reading sim lit is part of sissys morning at least thats what she told me. she reads on her nook and told me that typing on it is like what a squirrel would look like. once she got cheeky with me so i found a pic of a squirrel in a bathrobe typing on a nook.

reading sim lit is part of sissys morning at least thats what she told me. she reads on her nook and told me that typing on it is like what a squirrel would look like. once she got cheeky with me so i found a pic of a squirrel in a bathrobe typing on a nook.

That's hilarious!
    image.png

That's hilarious!

i don't think she thought i remembered the comment or that i would actually find a pic of a squirrel in bathrobe on nook. lol. the funny part was while the link posted i'm not good at posting images so joseph found my post and helped with that part. legacysimmer .
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,968 Member
    Hi!

I have a save/story that I haven’t played in a few months. I’m not really sure what to do with it. I haven’t got any story ideas right now, and can’t really think of any. I’ve had the save for two years. I’m kind of loath to delete it entirely, although sometimes I feel like I could do it better. It’d also be odd to restart the save with the same original married couple I started off with, as I still have all the screenshots from this save, right back to the very beginning. Not only is it my oldest current save, it’s also one where I’ve reached the fourth generation (i.e. the great-grandchildren of the original couple). I’ve never really reached that point before!

I could just leave it on hiatus for a while I guess. There’s another save I’m on where I’m fairly close to the fourth generation (same thing, great grandkids of the OG couple) and this one will be particularly fun since they’ll be my first Ancient Bloodline Spellcasters.
    Hi!

I have a save/story that I haven’t played in a few months. I’m not really sure what to do with it. I haven’t got any story ideas right now, and can’t really think of any. I’ve had the save for two years. I’m kind of loath to delete it entirely, although sometimes I feel like I could do it better. It’d also be odd to restart the save with the same original married couple I started off with, as I still have all the screenshots from this save, right back to the very beginning. Not only is it my oldest current save, it’s also one where I’ve reached the fourth generation (i.e. the great-grandchildren of the original couple). I’ve never really reached that point before!

I could just leave it on hiatus for a while I guess. There’s another save I’m on where I’m fairly close to the fourth generation (same thing, great grandkids of the OG couple) and this one will be particularly fun since they’ll be my first Ancient Bloodline Spellcasters.

leave it on hiatus. i remember a sis comment where she said she had something like 20 stories and about 1 or 2 she was working on.
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Hello everyone :) I haven't been here in a while.
    I will be posting this on my blog as well, but anyway...

Short and to the point.
    I’m considering a *possible* umpteenth attempt to return to the Simblr community (even though I seem to be a blacklisted pariah.) Each attempt was brief; I’d gain a little traction, the harassment would restart, and I’d be driven out within a month. I freely admit that I made many mistakes in dealing with trolls and the community. But I feel like the cycle will repeat itself, so is it even worth doing?

It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    @NyteRose, this is just my opinion- but I really do not like Tumblr as a platform at all, in large part for the harassment people will get over pretty much anything there. It's why I don't, and likely never ever will make a Simblr because I cannot stand the site nor the general toxicity of the community that I have seen and that many friends have experienced. I only follow a few Simblrs solely for the purposes of CC and pose finds. I have friends who ditched their Simblrs largely because of toxic people they were dealing with almost constantly. Many of them are largely put off getting back into the community at all because of it... I know that some people have had a great experience on Tumblr and that there are a lot of great people on there too, but I would actually advise to avoid Tumblr, to be honest. I think it'd save you a lot of un-needed hassle especially if the harassment keeps happening.

I know a couple of people have started posting Sims stuff on a social media site named Pillowfort that might be worth looking into, though I don't know much about what the community there is like. But it's another option and looks similar-ish? to Tumblr, so might be worth a look.
    they/them or she/her
    NyteRose wrote: »
    Hello everyone :) I haven't been here in a while.
    I will be posting this on my blog as well, but anyway...

Short and to the point.
    I’m considering a *possible* umpteenth attempt to return to the Simblr community (even though I seem to be a blacklisted pariah.) Each attempt was brief; I’d gain a little traction, the harassment would restart, and I’d be driven out within a month. I freely admit that I made many mistakes in dealing with trolls and the community. But I feel like the cycle will repeat itself, so is it even worth doing?

Don't put yourself through that again. You should be able to feel safe and comfortable posting online, not have to constantly worry about trolls and harassment. Pick a different platform even if it measn you have to start all over again learning how to navigate it.
    image.png
  • LuxAtomica92LuxAtomica92 Posts: 29 Member
    Sul sul, I'm reposting this question here at the suggestion of @Sims4MagicalTales in the hopes I may be able to connect with some console players who also produce simlit who can help me out. The question is in the spoiler box below to keep from cluttering up ya'll's thread. Thanks.
    Sul sul, I'm working on my very first simlit and I have a stupid question to ask. How do you get the screenshots for your stories. I am on console (xbox) so far as I know I don't have access to any super cool toys to manipulate my sims. It seems to be really difficult to zoom in, adjust the camera and just plain catch these speedy little buggers while they're doing what I'd like to be in the screenshot for the story...that's not even going into the issue of trying to find a good angle. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm an experienced writer, and even pretty handy with making graphics and digital manipulation, but for some reason screenshots in this game are completely escaping my grasp. I know the basics of taking screenshots but am seriously floundering when it comes to taking decent, topic appropriate shots. Am I overthinking this? Is what I'm trying to do even possible on console? Is there any other thread I could be asking this on? Thanks in advance.
    edited April 2022
    @LuxAtomica92 Former TS4 Xbox player here < 3
    You can screenshot on Xbox! It's a little long-winded to do so, but still.

- Press the middle XBox button on your controller, then I think it's press Y to take a screenshot. It should come up at the bottom of the screen that one has been taken, I think.
    - Press the middle button again, scroll along on the small menu to the arrow pointing up in the box. It should have 'Capture and Share' at the top. Scroll down to Recent Captures and click it; It'll bring up your latest 5 or 6 screenshots. Go down to where it says 'Show All' and click it.
    - At the top of the Manage Captures screen, it should come up with a drop-down which likely currently says 'On the XBox Network'. Change it to 'On this XBox Console' and it will bring up a list of all your screenshots you've taken in your games.
    - Now scroll down to where all your screenshots are, and you'll see a tick box and some other options. Tick the 'select' box on all of the ones you want to upload (you can choose more than one shot at a time.)
    - Then, go over to 'Upload to OneDrive'. When it asks if you want to upload it to OneDrive, click Upload, and then don't click anything until the 'Uploading items to OneDrive X out of Y ' box is gone. It'll give you a notification at the bottom for each screenshot once they're all uploaded on the bottom.
    - Now, on your computer, log into OneDrive online using your Microsoft account. Once you're in OneDrive, your pictures should be in the Pictures folder and then XBox Screenshots.
    - Once you're in there, select all of the screenshots you wish to download (Press CTRL+A and it'll select them all.) Then click Download, and it'll download your screenshots into a .zip file.

As for screenshot angles and such, I think these controls are correct

To access Free Cam mode on the XBox One version, click the camera in the top right of your screen during Live Mode.

- LB and RB- change speed/pause whilst in Free Cam mode
    - A - pan screen up
    - Y - pan screen down
    - B - Exit Free Cam mode
    - Left Stick - Pans the screen forwards, backwards, and sideways
    - Right Stick - Tilts the view left, right, up and down
    - LT - Zoom out
    - RT - zoom in
    they/them or she/her
    Bless you for typing all that out @SnowBnuuy thank you. I got into the game tonight and started fiddling with freecam and screenshots and got some great ones. I think I was just being obtuse and needed to go slower and pause more. I'll probably focus more on game driven Simlit to start out with instead of Story Driven seeing as illustrating a prewritten story will be a heck of a lot harder without mods, so why make things difficult for myself right? This is supposed to be fun. Between @Sims4MagicalTales video link and your written instructions I believe ya'll may have gotten past the concrete block that passes for my skull. Thanks again.
    @LuxAtomica92 No trouble < 3

It took me aaaaaaages to get used to the controls for XBox TS4. Pretty sure I didn’t know Free Cam mode was a thing for months after I got the game :D Free Cam mode makes the whole thing so much easier, especially being able to pause and then find the right angle for a shot.

Another tip, you might already be aware of this but I’m sharing it just in case you aren’t: The ‘ Headlineeffects off ‘ cheat will not disable achievements on XBox TS4 like most of the regular cheats will, so you can use that cheat to get rid of the plumbob and the little speech bubbles above their heads for clearer screenshots. To get the cheat box up on XBox I think you have to press LB, RB, LT and RT together.

I think starting with game driven is a good idea. It’s what I did as well, started doing challenges and writing stories around them before I went to doing pure story-driven stuff.
    they/them or she/her
    I did not know Headlineeffects was a thing!! That is so excellent, thank you @SnowBnuuy I've been using strategically placed speech bubbles on my screenshots to cover some of them lol.
    Sul sul, I'm reposting this question here at the suggestion of @Sims4MagicalTales in the hopes I may be able to connect with some console players who also produce simlit who can help me out. The question is in the spoiler box below to keep from cluttering up ya'll's thread. Thanks.
    Sul sul, I'm working on my very first simlit and I have a stupid question to ask. How do you get the screenshots for your stories. I am on console (xbox) so far as I know I don't have access to any super cool toys to manipulate my sims. It seems to be really difficult to zoom in, adjust the camera and just plain catch these speedy little buggers while they're doing what I'd like to be in the screenshot for the story...that's not even going into the issue of trying to find a good angle. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm an experienced writer, and even pretty handy with making graphics and digital manipulation, but for some reason screenshots in this game are completely escaping my grasp. I know the basics of taking screenshots but am seriously floundering when it comes to taking decent, topic appropriate shots. Am I overthinking this? Is what I'm trying to do even possible on console? Is there any other thread I could be asking this on? Thanks in advance.

I pause a lot. I don't use console, so I don't know the camera commands. On PC, I can press tab to go into camera view, which removes plumbobs and lets me adjust the camera height and angle with key strokes.

General tips include being sure walls are up, zooming in or out for the right effect, and varying camera angle. I don't use poses, either, and I've found the in-game poses, gestures, and expressions to be sufficient.