The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    edited April 2021
    Since Sunday I been having this problem that even though I get up and go to the bathroom. I do fall back into a deep sleep (since it helps that its still dark outside) but when I wake up again (around 10am)-I feel like I haven't slept at all? Mom thought it had to do with my l drinks but I don't think its that. Since this week is the only time its been a major pain in the *** since I'm mostly always getting up to go to the bathroom and never feel this tired.

I had a lot of things happened during last week including on this past Sunday. Like last Wednesday I had to get a bloodwork done at a lab for May's appointment. Some additional information-in my bedroom next to my bed there's a bed table and it has a calendar, a lamp, and my radio alarm clock, and a "glasses stand" next to the glass stand there is a little container of lip stuff. On this particular Wednesday, I got up around 4 in the morning to go pee- I was going to put more lip stuff on my lips but it wasn't there. I turned both my lights on and off, and even used my flashlight but I couldn't find it. So I had to just use the not so good lip stuff in the bathroom and went back to bed until 9am. I did found the missing lip stuff when the sun stuck it when I woke up again.

On Thursday night, I guess I had forgotten I had set my alarm for 9am for Wednesday because the only two days I normal use the alarm is Sundays &Fridays and for 10:30am. So on Friday morning the alarm came on at 9am so i shut it off and went back to a little sleep. And when I woke up again I was a lot more wide-awake
    Starting n Thursday night I had to go to bed "earlier" due to the fact all 3 of us were getting the vaccine on Sunday. On Sunday morning, I woke up around quarter to 6 to go pee and It took me forever to go back to sleep and I even woke Mom up since I didn't know what else to do. I must have gone back to sleep somehow.
    But every since Sunday, I been having this problem, that even though I go back to sleep after getting up to go to the bathroom, its feels when I wake up again like, I haven't slept at all? Is it maybe due to the "Craziness"/Weirdness of late last week/early this week?

Its either that or my thumb problem.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • IvoryButterflyIvoryButterfly Posts: 1,199 Member
    Hi everyone, no I didn't fall off the face of the earth, yet... but I've been hiding away for a while, which could amount to the same thing.

I've just spend the last 1 or so reading over everything I've missed... EVERYONE here need a trophy or a medal for just surviving; it's been a crazy year so far for all of us and crazy isn't even a word that does it justice!

I've missed being here, it has always been a sanctuary of sorts, especially with the ones whom I've know for a long long time now!
    I promise I'll explain my self and everything that's happened in a little bit, but at the moment I've a few things I'm catching up on and trying to 'tidy up' so to speak.
    *HUGS TO ALL*
    mbytI0Z.png
    The Universe & I have agreed to disagree with each other!
    @CathyTea @InfraGreen

Hey guys- I want to go to A Canadian sub shop next month and I'm afraid of being disappointed again like I was in 2019 when I went. Some people say I should call ahead just to found out and others (including my own mom) think it's a waste of time calling to find out and I should just be disappointed again. What do you guys think I should do?

PS @InfraGreen I did like the Taco Bell when I had some the other Tuesday
    6adMCGP.gif
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @MadameLee: I'd call ahead, you're probably not the only person calling in for info anyways.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    I'm really annoyed. I want to make Taco Salad on Friday night. But I want to make it MY way and that means cooking the meat, the onion and bell peppers and zunnchi in a *bacon* skillet and then dumping them and other veggies into a big bowl. But mom wants me to make Taco salad her way. I haven't made Taco salad my way in over two years. Last year the ONE time I might have made Taco salad it was a VERGERTIAN one (no meat), and the year before it was "SOUTHWESTERN salad" (which means with pasta but otherwise it was like a taco salad).
    6adMCGP.gif
    Now I'm annoyed that I want to found out what I need to run a bunch of sims 4 packs, plus 10 Nancy Drew games (not all at once) +bluestacks. And I'm not getting any reply. I need to know what computer I need before I even get into budget. Like do I need a gaming computer or something else?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited September 2021
    Deleted.
    Post edited by KyreRoen on
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Hi @KyreRoen .

Do you have beta readers? Having someone pre-read your work can bring a fresh perspective. Readers don’t obssess as much as writers about what could’ve been done better. Entertainment value doesn’t come from how neat a plot is or how intricate a scene is. Some of the biggest blockbusters have the biggest plotholes and reused storylines, yet people love them for the value they bring or how it makes them feel.

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate on character motivations. What classifies as major/minor really depends on the traits your character has. If you gave them those motivations to begin with, I’d be inclined to think that they already have underlying traits that amplify those desires. And there are many real life motivations that would seem minor to others but is major to the person who did it. Senseless couple arguments, reasons people bully, me fishing a goldfish out of its bowl to save it from drowning (not kidding, again, all about character traits), then there's that lady who killed 5 children because her husband left.

It seems like your story has been marinating in your head for so long that you’re no longer seeing the positives. An elaborate universe, relatable characters and unique power systems. I recommend getting a second/third/fourth opinion. In any case they’d be able to dissect your story alongside you and provide suggestions on where you’re stuck at. It could be the dose of inspiration you need.

And don’t worry about having everything penned down. There are two types of writers -- landscapers and gardeners. Clearly, you’re the landscaper who plans every detail. I fly by the seat of my pants. Both have their pros and can learn from each other. Rowling, Stephen King and GoT’s writer are gardener types. Anyway here’s a classic gardener-type response. Just start writing. Your characters and their motivations are fine. If there are areas in your plot that you second guess, listen to your characters and let them drive the story. Otherwise, get a beta-reader to whack the saboteur in the head with your quilt of papers.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    @KyreRoen I agree with @mercuryfoam. Are you sure that you need to rewrite it? It’s easy to get caught up in “this can be better” and “this needs to be redone” and get so focused on perfecting your work that you get stuck and can’t see the forest for the trees. It sounds a bit like you’ve looked at your story for so long that you’re unable to see the good and are focusing solely on the bad. Which is something that happens to a lot of writers at some point. But it doesn’t mean that your story, lore, vampire history, and what you’ve made up until now deserves to be written off.

Judging from your post, it sounds like you’ve written a lot. It would be such a shame to undo all of that, even if the underlying reason is to make it better. Are you sure that it reads as a children’s story, and not as good as you thought when you first finished it? Do you have your story on a blog somewhere, or on a forum thread? Somewhere that we can find? Like Mercury said, perhaps having someone read what you’ve made and getting a fresh perspective is just what you need. 😊
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    I’m in agreement with Mercury and Yimi on this one, you don’t want to get into a ‘reboot loop’. The creative perfectionism vicious circle is never-ending and I genuinely think the one thing a lot of people need to try and overcome is perfectionism. With each thing you make, you make progress, and perfectionism hinders progress because you end up scrapping everything- and when you scrap everything, you can’t see the progress that you’re making because there’s less to reference from.

When it comes to my work, I’d rather finish something and then evaluate it later rather than keep re-doing it or nothing will get finished, and a finished half decent thing is often better than an unfinished thing. I would say go with what you have for now and you can tidy it all up later.

As a tabletop DM, I know that detailed lore seems like the best idea at first, and it’s good to have some kind of background lore- but sometimes it’s best to just go ahead and write some stuff and let some of the lore come out naturally- otherwise you find yourself restricted and bound by all the rules you’ve set yourself in your own universe.

As for playing other saves, sometimes taking a long break and coming back to a project can make all the difference. Sometimes it’s a waiting game for the passion to come back to you.

they/them or she/her
    edited September 2021
    Deleted.
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,768 Member
    You're probably right. I guess I just fear leaving it on an indefinite hiatus, like so many others, until I just abandon it and make up an ending.

@KyreRoen I feel you! This is how I feel ATM trying to tackle a new project, because I worry about leaving things unfinished sometimes. What I’m doing to try and combat it is pacing myself, I usually write fast but this time I’m slowing down and making sure I know what’s going to happen in the next two or three chapters before I carry on by jotting down rough plot outlines. To be fair, I don’t think indefinite hiatus is a bad thing though. As much as people will enjoy your work, if they have to wait a bit longer for you to work on it then the wait will be worth it!
    they/them or she/her
    edited September 2021
    Deleted.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited August 2021
    @KyreRoen

Thanks for answering in detail. I read it all. So to clarify, over the course of writing, your writing style and thought patterns have evolved and thus would like to rewrite your original work but are reluctant to do so. You're wondering if you might've made the rewrite more daunting than it really is.

Here I say, hold that thought. Get someone to look at your original work and tell you what they like/dislike about it before doing your rewrite. You might find that parts you didn't like as a writer were great hooks from a reader's perspective. Ask them a ton of questions. The simplest way to get feedback is through a blog but if you're reluctant to do so, you could host your work on discord and invite an exclusive few to read. There are several writers here and many simblrs who do that.
    The difference of when I started it (dripping with my usual humour), and when I finished it (having crafted a gritty universe akin to a psychological study of humanity, but without the limitation of time, and with abilities they can use to bypass mundanities) felt jarring when I went back over it. Everything in the beginning looks cringe-inducing, but promising, and everything in the end feels more realised, yet lacking in some areas.
    Here's my two cents. If HP started out like its last three books, I might not have read it. I liked that it started with a simple plotline of thwarting baddies with light-hearted humor and uncomplicated characters, then deepened into mystery, murder and themes for higher age groups. By the end, the initial elements I love about HP had vanished, yet it was still as interesting to me as ever. Your story plot evolving isn't a bad thing at all.

What is your end goal in writing your story? Do you plan to submit your manuscript to a publisher? Is this just for fun? Who/what age is your target audience? Maybe you're writing casually and this is just something you want to do for yourself. Even so, you'd still benefit from having an audience and a goal to move towards.
    I just fear leaving it on an indefinite hiatus, like so many others, until I just abandon it and make up an ending.
    A hiatus is pretty normal. Da Vinci took 12 years to paint Mona Lisa's lips. Pretty sure he didn't stick by her canvas for over a decade and did nothing else in that time. Inspiration ebbs and flows, hobbies and priorities shift. I say, walk your own path than be discouraged by the hiatuses other people take.

This is the impression I'm getting and I may be entirely wrong, but putting this here just in case it resonates. It sounds to me that you want to perfect your story to your best capabilities before releasing it to the public. That line of thinking is the reason why major artists such as Michelangelo, Picasso and Da Vinci sign their name with faciebat. To symbolise that their work is 'unfinished, incomplete, and less than perfect'. Even Da Vinci who after 12 years of painting Mona Lisa's lips never acknowledged his painting as finished but rather abandoned. I suggest that like him, try not to view publishing your work to public as a be all, end all. There are simmers who do a story rewrite to add lore or additional scenes after publishing their chapters. It didn't bother me and I liked getting to know the characters and story again. Anyway, thanks for reading my ted talk. I'll let you go now :joy:

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    What happens when you want to tell the perfect story? None of my ideas have been as ever-evolving as this, which makes me think it's likely my magnum opus. It wants to be written, I'm just reluctant to write it again (not because I'm afraid I'll fail, but rather I'm just reluctant). I picture sitting down to write it. I prep for it. I don't do it. There's a disconnect between thought and action. Huh...maybe I've done what people do to serial killers--I've made it a more daunting thing than it is.

@KyreRoen Good luck with all of your writing! I think that if I wanted to tell the perfect story, I would first ask myself why, especially why it should be perfect. Of course, that'd be nice and I want to do my best, but striving for perfection can be toxic. It would benefit my ego (maybe), but I don't know if it would really help my story, my audience, or even my writing. I don't know what your motivations are, but I hope that you enjoy writing. If you don't or aren't, I hope that you're able to change things so that you do. Write what you like how you like and don't worry about more than without some kind of pressing reason.

edited September 2021
    Deleted.
    I'm closer to get a new gaming computer but I still have 0 idea of what I need to play the games I want to play.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • NoWindowsNoWindows Posts: 162 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sucks when you're one chapter into your new lit and already not so proud of it. Sucks even more when it's your fourth attempt at a lit and the first three didn't even make it past gen 1. Maybe I should give up, but I really wanna share my stories... Aaaa
    Call me AC1. It won't let me change my name!

Read Watercolor Whimsy here!
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    NoWindows wrote: »
    Sucks when you're one chapter into your new lit and already not so proud of it. Sucks even more when it's your fourth attempt at a lit and the first three didn't even make it past gen 1. Maybe I should give up, but I really wanna share my stories... Aaaa

I treat Sims Stories like I do tv shows. I give them a decent bit of time to find their footing.

The story may not get super interesting after the first few episodes but reach the season finale and things are looking super interesting.

I also don't expect perfect stories when I go into a Sims story because most of us are amateur writers at best.

Try to get your inner editor to stop only accepting perfection. I know it's easier said than done.
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    NoWindows wrote: »

That's why I am doing a gameplay blog right now. I like the stories behind the Sims myself, and therefore I let this one tell its own story. I don't have to think up a plot, characters, etc. The only character I truly created was my Founder. But much of him was randomized as I feel that's what the game wanted, not me.

Sadly, I had a glitch that I got really upset with and discontinued that Legacy, but I wanted to still do the exact same thing, so I did a Reboot. I even placed my original Founder in there and he made one appearance so far. I ended up removing ALL my mods except MC Command Center. So far, there's not glitches and I'm having a blast sharing my gameplay experiences and watching its story unfold on its own.

I blog it so others can also enjoy seeing what I see. And maybe they come away with a different view on certain scenarios than I do, which is awesome. I like when readers share their own perspective on things.

Continue to do what you want to do. If you're not feeling it, it's okay not to force yourself into putting effort into it. You'll eventually find your muse and have something you are proud of. Remember to write and/or play for you...not others.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    Hello... again...

WOW, SOO much has been going on... took me 45mins and a cup of coffee to get through EVERYTHING that's been happening since I left.

I have missed being here, I adore everyone's opinions and looking out for each other. I truly forgot people can be so nice and genuine.

At the moment, since I've got a plethora of free time on my hands now, again :'( ... I've been trying to sort out my blog to make it, better.
    Other blogs seem to be so much more amazing with all these in-sync moving parts, link jumps, and things I just have no idea how to create or get to because I can't afford to pay for the extras.
    I've been trying not to look, but I'm also reading and catching up on others' stories, so, going to the bogs is kind of a given at that point; it's not so much that writers' block has been affecting me, but I go back to my story and... I just sit, staring at my page, re-reading what I've written, and I'm happy with it, but at the moment, now, I'm stuck and it sucks.
    mbytI0Z.png
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,222 Member
    Just a short chapter for Box of Chocolates this time, but I wanted to include it so Mercuryfoam could see Noriko Yamaguchi, daughter of my version of her Yamaguchi family.

1.45 Growing UP
    image.png
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hello... again...

WOW, SOO much has been going on... took me 45mins and a cup of coffee to get through EVERYTHING that's been happening since I left.

I have missed being here, I adore everyone's opinions and looking out for each other. I truly forgot people can be so nice and genuine.

At the moment, since I've got a plethora of free time on my hands now, again :'( ... I've been trying to sort out my blog to make it, better.
    Other blogs seem to be so much more amazing with all these in-sync moving parts, link jumps, and things I just have no idea how to create or get to because I can't afford to pay for the extras.
    I've been trying not to look, but I'm also reading and catching up on others' stories, so, going to the bogs is kind of a given at that point; it's not so much that writers' block has been affecting me, but I go back to my story and... I just sit, staring at my page, re-reading what I've written, and I'm happy with it, but at the moment, now, I'm stuck and it sucks.

I love your blog, @IvoryButterfly . For me, I don't really care about the fancy stuff that comes with the paid sites--I like free WordPress best. Free WordPress blogs always work in my WP Reader, and they're also great because they don't often break! So often, I read those who use pay products exclaiming that stuff breaks, licenses expire, and the products they use are no longer supported.

Anyway, for me, it's the story that draws me in!

Hope you're doing OK.

Also, hi, @SimTresa ! Box of Chocolates is such a fun story! Glad you shared your link here, and I didn't realize that Noriko came from @mercuryfoam 's Sims! Noriko is adorable.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I love your blog, @IvoryButterfly . For me, I don't really care about the fancy stuff that comes with the paid sites--I like free WordPress best. Free WordPress blogs always work in my WP Reader, and they're also great because they don't often break! So often, I read those who use pay products exclaiming that stuff breaks, licenses expire, and the products they use are no longer supported.

Anyway, for me, it's the story that draws me in!

Hope you're doing OK.

Also, hi, @SimTresa ! Box of Chocolates is such a fun story! Glad you shared your link here, and I didn't realize that Noriko came from @mercuryfoam 's Sims! Noriko is adorable.

*HUGS* - @CathyTea , Oh I've missed you. And thank you.
    Yes, I'm sure 'm just beating myself up.
    Things have been a little rough of late, but we're getting through it as we always do. Sadly it has been making 'self-conscious' thoughts pop into my head and beat me up a little.

I've been looking at some writing courses from my local community college to do next year in the hopes that maybe they might help with my technique and different perspectives, but I'm waiting to see if I get in or not.

For now, I'm doing my best to pull myself up by my bootstraps, stop sulking, and get stuck into my writing.

*HUGS* to all :smiley:
    mbytI0Z.png