Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question for others who play with aging off

So I've always played TS4 with aging off (I have attachment issues and don't want them to die) and now that I've started playing TS3 I'm doing the same. However, I've run into a bit of an issue; when to age up a child sim.
In TS4 I always age them up once they've completed their aspiration, but since children don't have aspirations or child specific skills in TS3 I'm having a hard time figuring out when to age them up so they still have skills to learn as teens and into adulthood.
I was wondering if anyone that also plays without aging could give me some insight into how you deal with this. Or if anyone just has any ideas on this, let me know as well.

Comments

• CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited November 2021
    Your children only age up when you age them up

Playing with aging off use birthday cakes to age them when YOU!!! are ready on your time when you feel the skills you want them to have are complete.Birthday cakes are bought at grocery store

PS: Did you know you can have a birthday for kids that are not yours that come over after school or anybody who visits the home ;)

Also this is what I do as well.

In a town where you play with aging off place like I do a building you made already stocked with

Age of Instant elixirs (these auto make sim you throw it at go to next life state)

Fountain of youth (these turn any elders you feel need a 2nd chance at life into young adults or adults to YA)

Point is go to this building anytime in game that you made grab elixirs they will be free if just set as visitors allowed community lot you do not pay and it not only is a way it is fun

I had games where a teen in town I seen tossed a age of instant at her we started talking over few days next thing you know she is my girlfriend eventual wife

Same with elderly woman have aged a few down some are very pretty young and we end up dating

Regardless you have control over whole tiown who gets old and who stays young its fun and random since you never know who or when you will run into a townie
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Garaya13Garaya13 Posts: 60 Member
    Maybe I phrased it wrong. I don't mean how do I practically age them up, but more so at what point in their life is a good time.
    Like how far along are they in skills when you age them up is what I'm most interested in.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited November 2021
    Garaya13 wrote: »
    Maybe I phrased it wrong. I don't mean how do I practically age them up, but more so at what point in their life is a good time.
    Like how far along are they in skills when you age them up is what I'm most interested in.

There are skills that a Child can develop, and others they cannot develop.
    Toddlers have books they can read, and toys they can play with that give them a head start.

How well your child develops skills, and performs in school, can have an impact on whether or not you get to choose their traits.
    If you need a specific determining point of when you might be wise to age up your child ...
    When they have completed all the skills they can, and have an A (on the Honor Roll) in school, would be a good time

I don't play with aging off ... BUT
    The whole Family eats Ambrosia every 7 days because it gives an awesome Mood Boost,
    which in turn makes everything in the game possible.

I have a Child in game that is making 20k Simoleons a week in Romance Novel royalties ...
    And she isn't even in a Teen in High School yet ... :D

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • SpookeSpooke Posts: 174 Member
    Don't play with aging off...

Learn to make Ambrosia, it's a very rewarding playstyle.

Or...

Become a Vampire.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Hi.

I play with aging on but I believe I understand what you are asking. The best advice I can give is to age them up when you feel they have completed all they can do at a child's level which will help move them further towards their goals when they become a teenager. Since this will vary on a Sim-to-Sim basis, the first thing to consider is the goal you have for your child Sims. Preparing for some careers, professions or lifestyles will take longer than others.

As a general rule (in my game)
    -Children must read all three logic books. This is because once they become teens, they will need the advantage of faster 'mental processing' for understanding situations. Having a level 10 logic will also allow your Sims (all of them) to complete tasks faster.

-In addition to the logic books, have them play chess with as many Sims as they can. This will not only expand their social circle but will aid in the different ways they begin to understand and process various data such as events, situations and helps them learn about the differences in other Sims. This will aid in their self-development.

-As teens they will also be able to enter the workforce or begin seriously preparing for university (if you choose). They only have a limited amount of time each day to do homework, work, skill build and build their social circles. This is where high logic really pays off.

In addition to logic, maximizing the skill of the toy oven is a necessity for my child Sims. This will boost them to mid-level cooking skill (starting at level 4).

The block table (turtle in the base game) will raise them to mid-level handiness (level 4), if they complete it.

Also, don't overlook the importance of hidden skills such as video game playing, dancing or even reading. These will help in developing good or strong relationships with Sims of different traits as-well-as helping your Sim develop their own personality. And, for goodness sake, please allow them to take some time to simply play and be a child before aging them up. They won't forget it.

Again, the decision to age them up should all depend on what you want for them and from them in their future.
    Good Luck and Happy Simming.
    @BlackSand @mw1525 Thank you very much for the detailed explanations! This definitely helps me understand how childhood in TS3 works a lot more
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've just started a new save where i'll be rotating through all the premades (i'm playing only with base game and stuff packs).
    Lifetime reward points are somehow a way to measure accomplishments in sim's lives. My method for aging is when a sim in a specific lifestage reachs a specific amount of lifetime reward points. For example, a child needs to reach 10,000 points to be able to age, while a YA needs 30,000. I can straight fulfill all wishes that i can pin or i can nitpick the wishes to fulfill... In the meantime i can do whatever i want with my sims cause not every action will add points, so i can make them skill in whatever i want, work in whatever relationship, have kids... but when they add that amount of points, they're aging.
    @texxx78 That's a really fun and interesting way of doing it. Might try that out as well
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I write down what day they were born (like 7 winter) and then age them up on their birthday.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    edited November 2021
    I have a very long age span for my sims as I want the town to age but I age my sims up when I'm ready for them to age up. I use a cake for that and they generally have a party and invite some friends.

I have developed some specific skills for my sims.

Baby - just age up when they get to the number of days I've set for them. I generally make that 9 days. I have no idea why I chose 9 days.

Toddler - ages up when they have completed all 5 toddler skills and read all 9 toddler skill books. if they have other skilling objects they will learn a few points in charisma, logic and handiness. Playpen and walker are skilling objects needed. to get higher charisma I have them make friends with other toddlers by playing peek a boo in the playpen.

Child - ages up when they have completed both child skills. Cooking (using toy oven) and blocks (using the play table) plus I get them to learn a few other random skills. A few points in fishing helps and they often do some collecting too.

Teens - learn more about cooking, fishing, handiness, gardening and any other skill the teen seems to want to learn. It's nice if they've been to a Prom or two and completed a few of the school opportunities.

I usually try to get my sims to get to level 7 in fishing and gardening and a random number of cooking. I chose level 7 for gardening and fishing because at that level they can read all fishing bait books and can plant any seed they find lying around in the world.

If I have a sim that sculpts I like to get them to work through the different levels in sculpting. For example once they have made 15 25 ice sculptures their ice never melts. This is a very lucrative skill to have.

Happy Simming

EDIT: I also work to be sure the children and teens have A Grade at school before aging them up.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    I always play with aging off. I age up the toddlers after about 4-6 days.
    After their parents teach them to walk and talk.
    Then with the children I usually play it by ear, aging them up after they've been a child about 10 days.
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    I play with aging off because I write stories on the Sims, and everyone would age too fast for me to get the screen shots I wanted.
    When I need to age them up, I use the Trigger Age Transition cheat.
    For my current story, which is covering a few years but taking ages to play, I make a note of when the children were born and age babies up a year in story time later, age toddlers up when they would be 4 (that's when they start school in the UK) and children to teens in the autumn they're 11, because that's when our secondary school starts.

If I'm playing in a world with no school (depends on the story I'm writing) then I also use a cheat code to edit their personality after they age up, because of course they haven't got any grade at all from their schooling.
    Another alternative is to put a school in for a day, so that they've got some homework in their backpack, take the school out again and if there's an adult around with a high enough logic skill, they can tutor them and get their grades up.

Happy Simming!
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    My general rule is to age a sim whenever I feel it is time to move on, when there are no more new intersting stuff for him to go through in current age phase.

In my shorter saves, when I want my game to progress quickly, I can age a child once he completed the "get on the honor roll" wish (they usually get this and it means they got an A in school for 3 days in a staright), and I think it usually gives them 1000 points. If I feel that a specific sim is struggling, I can decide to do this easier and age a sim after only one A in school...

In my longer saves, which usually played rotationally, I prefer to age the whole age group at once, or at least in a short time (and so I'll age all teens together, then all children, then all toddlers...). I like to keep their experiences in life with the same friends they grew up with during life (it is weird to me that two kids are friends and suddenly one of them is teen and looks totally different). So I do the aging kind of in parallel / day after day/ sometimes I'll even move them to the same household to celebrate them all in once. Also, it should be noted that not only I like to age all sims from the same age group at the same time, but also I do the different age groups one after another (before continuing on with my regular story) because I want to keep the town's population balanced.
  • ModernDayM0zartModernDayM0zart Posts: 20 Member
    I enjoy playing aging off, similar to other games, supposedly. As for when to move on, you can play it with on and go with the flow, it's more natural or choose whenever you want really
  • faceface Posts: 21 Member
    The only residents in my town are households that used to be my main ones. My game's aging feature is turned off because I want to get the most out of every identity. If I grow tired of my sims, I just jump ship to another household.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    This is one of the reasons I enjoy using NRAAS Tagger so much. Tagger allows me once set properly to mouse over the sim and find out quickly how many “days” he has before age-up. And then I age the sims via clicking on them and doing an “Age Transition”.

I wish there was a way of noting which teens age up when with various lifespans within the given EA lifespan sliders. But those are all thrown out the window when you start adjusting the lifespans manually in the .ini file. 🤔

Gets kinda complicated when you want to keep the whole town at an accurate age-up schedule, figuring out who to age up. I think when I start a game, if I want to keep accurate tabs of everyone in the town, I’d have to put everyone in the town into an Excel spreadsheet gauging when their birthdays are and when they age-transition so that I can manually age transition them when appropriate.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • faceface Posts: 21 Member
    Speaking of aging, is there a way to adjust the aging bar the same way you can adjust needs? I swear I saw someone do it, like, 8 years ago and I have not heard anything about it being a possibility since.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    …other than manually adjusting the .ini file before starting the game, I don’t think so.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~