Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims dying of laughter

I've played this version of the sims since it came out and in all that time have had 1 sim die of laughter. In the last 3 weeks, I've had two sims die of laughter. What is going on? Anyone else notice this suddenly?

Comments

• Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    In all the time that I have played, only one sim has ever died of laughter.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I've never had any sim die of laughter or any other emotional death. I believe it is because i'm kind of a micromanager, as i've recently been realizing...
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2021
    Never have a sim die an emotional death unless I actually created the scenario to trigger it. I also keep the sims homes minimal in decor so the don't ever get the "nicely decorated room" moodlet. To trigger the die by laughter, you really just need to pile on the happiness and playful emotional buffs. So my guess is you currently playing in a way that piles on too many of the playful buffs.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    If your sim has a couple of big happy moodlets then other little ones can add up fast, and all it takes is +1 playful to set them over the edge. Stuff like a great holiday following a wedding or new baby is what has put mine in the danger zone. There’s often a playful moodlet that comes through laundry so that’s one of the reasons I avoid laundry now because it can really happen out of nowhere.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I've only ever had one sim die of laughter and it was on a purpose. You're probably playing too "well" - I mean making your sims have too many happy moodlets. Sims are in danger if too many happy things are happening too fast. I see other people suggested the same too.
  • CarvedCrayonRosesCarvedCrayonRoses Posts: 17 Member
    I've had multiple sims die of laughter. It freaks me out whenever they get playful because of that.
  • ancaaaaaaaaancaaaaaaaa Posts: 26 Member
    Happened to me just a few days ago with a playful sim who was dancing... luckily her boyfriend was there and i made him beg the Reaper so he saved her life. Also got a nice sentiment from that so yay
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have only recently seen Sims become "Hysterical", rather than just "Very Playful", which is where I generally try to head things off with a mirror and "Try To Calm Down", so I do wonder whether emotional balance has been re-calibrated, perhaps with the Spa Day refresh?

No one has died of it yet, but I do feel a need to be more vigilant lately.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I had a sim die once from laughing. I have since turned off emotional deaths using MCCC. I don't want this in my game.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    JueJue wrote: »
    I've played this version of the sims since it came out and in all that time have had 1 sim die of laughter. In the last 3 weeks, I've had two sims die of laughter. What is going on? Anyone else notice this suddenly?

No, but my very first death by Hysteria, was two very close family members to my Rock Star. Both at the save Event one, after the other. That was shocking enough, but oddly satisfying in that finally something other than dying of Old Age had occurred spontaneously in my game. Yay! for that. But oddly enough, my Rock Star became a 'target' of the game. He died twice and was on his way to a third very untimely death when another player asked if I hadn't made a back up of my saves prior to whatever Patch that one was. I had. I switched out the saves and picked up where things left off at the time just prior to the Patch and went quite a ways without my Sim dying. Thankfully, he hasn't died since. But, I confess, once I experienced it, I set MCCC to prevent it again. It was one of those been there, done that, don't need to do it again, moments for me.

All of this to say, no, I haven't been experiencing this, but then again MCCC keeps it from happening. Perhaps, another player will come by and share.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2021
    Could it be to do with environmental scores being tweaked? I think they made it lot based or something. I believe it was based on proximity to things before. Not sure if this has changed.

If sims are generally more stable in their moods, then they are more likely to remain in dangerous moods long enough to die from them.

I haven't been outside of build mode since the change though, so I could be completely wrong.
  • JueJueJueJue Posts: 80 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I have only recently seen Sims become "Hysterical", rather than just "Very Playful", which is where I generally try to head things off with a mirror and "Try To Calm Down", so I do wonder whether emotional balance has been re-calibrated, perhaps with the Spa Day refresh?

No one has died of it yet, but I do feel a need to be more vigilant lately.

This is exactly what happened both times. They bypassed very playful and became hysterical after putting on warm laundry so I sent them to calm down. My sim last night was in the middle of calming down with the mirror when she just stopped and croaked
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I didn't know this could happen. What happens to the ghost? I don't think I've ever seen a laughing ghost.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    My sim had been busy with chores most the day so I let her do what she wanted so I could go watch the chickens running around, lol. A notification came up and all it took was for me to look at the notification and see "Your sim is very playful" and I clicked on her real quick and sent her to the mirror. It did not bypass very playful in my game. She was watching the comedy channel :D This happened a couple days ago.

It doesn't pay to take your eye off your sim(s) ;)
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I actually had one of my sims die from laughter just after marrying my sim recently
    edited November 2021
    @JueJue

What your second response tells me is you allowed too many happy moodlets stack. That is an easy way to bypass very playful and go straight to hysterical. The trick is to not have your sims always in a happy mood. I often allow my sims to be a little tense from needing fun as an example.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • gbaisdengbaisden Posts: 95 Member
    I have a sim that constantly tries to die from hysteria! If I didn't use a cheat to get rid of it she would have already died. Grandfather Winter came and she got her present and immediately went to hysterical and was dying. I didn't save that lol. No other sim does this but her and it's annoying.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm glad I saw this thread. Nikita was super duper giddy with happiness the other day. I'm not even sure how she got so happy, but I sent her off to do something that settled her down. I'll be watching more carefully, I like her too much to let her die laughing. I'm glad now I didn't give her the cheerful trait, she probably would have been a goner!
  • JueJueJueJue Posts: 80 Member
    @JueJue

What your second response tells me is you allowed too many happy moodlets stack. That is an easy way to bypass very playful and go straight to hysterical. The trick is to not have your sims always in a happy mood. I often allow my sims to be a little tense from needing fun as an example.

The crazy thing is I didn't do anything to make her happy. I make sure they eat, sleep and use the bathroom but other than that I let them do what they want because I like watching the crazy things they'll do on their own. I hate the idea that I have to make my sims miserable, intentionally, to keep them from dying
  • j_nellyj_nelly Posts: 20 Member
    i've had one sim die of laughter and i was able to bring them back but it escalates so quickly before you know it the grim reaper is here - i love making them extra happy and satisfied so maybe i need to cut back with the micro managing
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Since buying the game in 2015 I have had 1 sim die of laughter and 2 from anger, and one of those I had to spend 30 irl minutes making it happen for the Black Widow Challenge. The second was Judith Ward while researching the anger emotion for a gig. I personally wish it happened more often as it’s one of only a very very very few spontaneous things that ever happen in this game.
  • Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member
    I have had a few sims die of laughter, what is really rare is from embarrassment. I had one die of that fairly recently and I just had to clutch my pearls and then laugh lol
    JueJue wrote: »
    @JueJue

The crazy thing is I didn't do anything to make her happy. I make sure they eat, sleep and use the bathroom but other than that I let them do what they want because I like watching the crazy things they'll do on their own. I hate the idea that I have to make my sims miserable, intentionally, to keep them from dying

Allowing the needs to go yellow and red help balance the broken emotion system. Unfortunately, that is the only fix unless you use mods.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't let my sims have washer and dryer sets because of the happy deaths it caused. I had it happen in family homes where there were toddlers, sims who tend to be happy have a habit of dying of hysteria near toddlers, washing machines and dryers, and goofball sims. I've accidentally killed several sims in those ways but not in a long long time.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited November 2021
    I haven't noticed a huge increase, dying of laughter has always been the most common danger in my games, after freezing to death lol. It's just way too easy to be super happy. Tho, with some sentiments now causing playfulness, and the new like system which can add even more random happy moodlets, just walking into a room can sometimes cause instant hysteria these days.

That's what happened with this sim, who was so happy spending Winterfest with her family and got a playful moodlet from having a sentiment with one of her kids. Walked into the room where they were decorating the tree, and BOOM, dead before I even I had a chance to do anything about it lol.

MfTdjjE.png

Fortunately in this case Grim listened to her husband's pleas and took pity on them, choosing not to take her away on a holiday right in front of her four children :(