Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Safely migrating my Sims 3 Sims (And their mods) to a new computer?

Why hello there, folks!

It sure has been a long time since I've posted anything here, I know. But I now have a new computer...Yay! \o/ Anyway, I'd love to play The Sims 3 on it, however, I want to keep all of my families, their pets, familiars, and lastly, their mods.

Thus, what is the best (And safest) way for me to migrate all of them/this to my new PC? I want to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible. Then, I won't have to rush over here lata and be complaining about how my sims and/or save-games were corrupted.

I can provide a list of mods I have, and those I'd like to migrate over. Cheers!

P.S. I have The Sims 3 and every expansion pack, except for Katy Perry's Sweet Treats.

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    There are plenty of ways to do this, but the important thing is to make sure you grab all the files you want to keep. Here's an explanation of everything in your Sims 3 user folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

You can transfer them via external drive or USB stick, or zip the files together and upload them to a free filehosting site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) if it's easier. Once you've installed the game on the new computer, test it first to make sure everything works correctly, then copy over a save and see how it runs.

Saves and other Sims 3 files don't typically get corrupted just by moving them around. It's always a possibility, I mean things do happen, but that's why you test right away. If something doesn't work properly, just transfer a new copy.
  • HenrySpiralHenrySpiral Posts: 124 Member
    There are plenty of ways to do this, but the important thing is to make sure you grab all the files you want to keep. Here's an explanation of everything in your Sims 3 user folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

You can transfer them via external drive or USB stick, or zip the files together and upload them to a free filehosting site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) if it's easier. Once you've installed the game on the new computer, test it first to make sure everything works correctly, then copy over a save and see how it runs.

Saves and other Sims 3 files don't typically get corrupted just by moving them around. It's always a possibility, I mean things do happen, but that's why you test right away. If something doesn't work properly, just transfer a new copy.

Well, finally a response! And it is a helpful one, too. I'll give this a try either tomorrow or the day after. Then, if something does go awry, I'll be sure to return to this thread and ask for an additional solution. Let's just hope this plan works. I do have an external drive, by the way.