Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Occults need more focus - AGAIN

Comments

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Aliens need a solid brush-up, they've been left for so long.

Magic was always a cross between OPed and bland.

It really doesn't feel fair to me that the only Occult with any substance is Vampires - and yet they were done so brilliantly. What's so special about vampires? So many people want good Occults. The people who prefer realism are being pandered to - we want more in the game, not less.

When it comes to Nerfing, one must remember that Sims 4 is not a multiplayer game. It's you fighting you.

“Magic was always a cross between OPed and bland.”

Thank you! I have never really been able to describe that well.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    My biggest thing is I wish spell casters were more out there.

For my story, magic is the very essence of my World.

What I really would love more Magic Social and Club interactions, I'm still disappointed that "Casting Spells" was placed under the Mischief & Mayhem Category, because that not what I wanted for my Mages Club. I wanted to create a club, where my sims Focused on magical studies and how they could use it to advance and manipulate the world around them.

I was hoping magic would be a tool for spell casters to autonomously be more efficient at doing things.
    I felt like Magic was suppose to taking things to the next level, not just add alternatives to doing things.

and then I think magic should be a Like/Dislike.

I just wanted to see spell caster to be more natural and liberal with their magic.

Spellcaster who love magic would automatically use their power to do their tasks, rather than doing them manually like average mortals.
    and mortals can love magic too, and then Spellcasters could have positive social interactions with sims outside of the Magic community, with humans who enjoy magic, and even flex their magical powers for them.

Spellcasters who dislike magic, won't automatically use their powers, and view magic negatively and Humans will too.

also a "Floralorial All" - Interaction would have been a marvelous spell. especially if you run a farm, and its hot, and it's not going to rain for days,
    if my Spellcaster was able to Cast Floralorial over all Plants on the lot at once! <3
    Especially if my Sim loves to Garden using magic to take care of the garden would be cool to see if they did it out of their own will.

Also what kind of spellcaster can't burn sims to death with fire spells, fine I guess it's time to do the extra work by building a flammable carpet room without doors.
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I still so much want my Fairies & Werewolves in Sims 4. Please devs bring them back, pretty please.
    Seconded.

But between scenarios and kits (the latter I actually somewhat approve of, since they contain stuff I usually don't want in my game, and thus, are spared from having it forced upon me), I wonder how many years it could take before we get them (that is, if we get both or any at all).

This year gave us the Paranormal, Dream Home Decorator and Cottage Living packs. If 3 packs a year until the end is the deal, it doesn't bode that well for the Occult, certainly not more than 2 of them. I'll be so disappointed if we don't get at least Fairies and Werewolves. And what can I do, besides voicing my vocal displeasure (and how fun is that?)?

Nothing, besides not buying any more packs. And if Sims 5 becomes the online experience, I'll save even more money. Even if it is offline, I will not buy it until much later, if at all.

And if by some miracle, spellcasters, plantsims, aliens and mermaids are upgraded? Wouldn't mind at all, but I'm not holding my breath for it anymore than I do for new Occults.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • ArrojacastArrojacast Posts: 24 Member
    Between updates, refreshes, and new packs, I don't think it's unreasonable to think we could get 2ish new occults and improvements to the lackluster existing ones (Aliens, mermaids, ghosts, plant sims) by the time the game is dropped in favor of sims 5, assuming that sims 5 isn't going to take over before mid 2024.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Aliens need a solid brush-up, they've been left for so long.

Magic was always a cross between OPed and bland.

It really doesn't feel fair to me that the only Occult with any substance is Vampires - and yet they were done so brilliantly. What's so special about vampires? So many people want good Occults. The people who prefer realism are being pandered to - we want more in the game, not less.

When it comes to Nerfing, one must remember that Sims 4 is not a multiplayer game. It's you fighting you.

“Magic was always a cross between OPed and bland.”

Thank you! I have never really been able to describe that well.

no there was times game felt actually magical... like ts1 makin' magic ;)

i think it would have been better with more silliness and less "i shall cheat fancily"
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    My thing is, why do some players claim that we dont "need" occults because the game is meant to be a "realistic life simulator"? First of all, I dont remember the game ever claiming that it was realistic. 2nd of all if it were "realistic" your sims arent getting a job at the hospital as a surgeon after only playing one hour's worth of chess. Yet I dont see alot of simmers demanding that sims be required to go to school for the high paying jobs since apparently that would be "too realistic" (Lol)

Honestly some realism players need to quit being so horribly melodramatic whenever an occult focused pack dares to rear its ugly head in front of you. Realism play isnt under attack like you think it is, not every pack that comes out is going to be immediately up your alley. And that's true for everyone. Heck, the only pack I legitimately loved (and paid full price for) this year was Paranormal. Everything else (minus the kits because NO) I was lukewarm to whatever about and only got at steep discounts. And Im certainly not calling for gameplay in particular packs to be toned down and nerfed because its getting in the way of other things I want to do. Wish I could say the same for other players.

• ApricusApricus Posts: 671 Member
    edited November 2021
    Another thing: They don’t even have to buy it! It’s an optional pack. You don’t want occults? That’s fine, just don’t buy it and let people who want them be instead of only supporting them adding what YOU want.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Occults make this game for some of us. They make it interesting and just a little more gritty. They add a spice when the basic mechanics lack flavor. We need more them.
    #Team Occult
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Apricus wrote: »
    Another thing: They don’t even have to buy it! It’s an optional pack. You don’t want occults? That’s fine, just don’t buy it and let people who want them be instead of only supporting them adding what YOU want.

People are passionate about getting certain things in the game, and when one pack is made, that pack takes up a spot and development time that will never be able to go to something else.

Not buying it doesn't magically change that. People are still disappointed, so let them be disappointed. Just like you all are disappointed currently with the lack of occults.
    OO2UdmJ.png
    BariSaxy wrote: »

People are passionate about getting certain things in the game, and when one pack is made, that pack takes up a spot and development time that will never be able to go to something else.

Not buying it doesn't magically change that. People are still disappointed, so let them be disappointed. Just like you all are disappointed currently with the lack of occults.

The thing is that there’s obvious favoritism to one side of the community vs the other. The last occult was in 2019 I believe (please correct me if I’m wrong).
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
    edited November 2021

The thing is that there’s obvious favoritism to one side of the community vs the other. The last occult was in 2019 I believe (please correct me if I’m wrong).
    You're not wrong last Occult pack was in 2019 and on point with the favoritism, They nerfed our Vampires, barely finished our aliens and mermaids, Sims 4 plantsims aren't even real plantsims and Bigfoot is now a costume, you don't see the realism simmers getting the same treatment, when will their gameplay finally be nerfed.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,776 Member

Honestly some realism players need to quit being so horribly melodramatic whenever an occult focused pack dares to rear its ugly head in front of you. Realism play isnt under attack like you think it is, not every pack that comes out is going to be immediately up your alley.

My thing is more the ever lasting debate against "Family players" and "occult players". I do play occults the most but they too have families.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

Would you rather more Occults be included in EPs? They could lessen the "normal" content in there to make way for some fantastical like they used to in previous games. Then everyone gets something. No more waiting two+ years for Occult content for us, or realistic players complaining that a whole pack went to them. Include Occults in the bigger budget in every EP. Like you said, packs take up development time and people get disappointed. Just think of all the Occults we could have if they'd done that from the beginning.

As it is, anti-Occult players have always had the majority of EPs and the bigger budget development to themselves, save for Get To Work and Island Living, which weren't even thorough with the Occults they did have. And you're telling us, what, to just be quiet and accept it and let them express their disappointment because a couple of smaller Game Packs don't cater to them? Yeah, how about no. I think you've wandered into the wrong thread.
    #Team Occult
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    In Sims 3 the supernatural elements were just there... in almost every expansion, and highlighted in the Supernatural Pack. They were a part of the overall theme and gameplay.

Just on a guess, I'd say the whole reason for S4 isolating Vampires and Spellcasters into their own packs was to allow people who didn't want those elements in game to opt out and to give that gameplay more room to develop for those that did want it. Mermaids and Aliens were included in larger packs but made so unobtrusive that you have to go out of your way to encounter them. I think the intent was to allow realism players the option of ignoring or just not adding the occult elements. Yet, people bought the packs, knowing the supernatural gameplay was there, and in the case of Vampires and ROM, even featured. They still complained and the games got nerfed.

I think there are still a lot of fun, real life inspired things that the game can do. I just think it's sad when most people talk about wanting realism, they mostly talk about cars, cuddling, and babies they can take out for a stroll. The basics, the cake if you will, of realistic play are there. We're just talking about adding more layers of icing.

But the supernatural play still needs more cake. Just ask a cowplant.
    The first pack I ever bought on sims4 was vampires. It provided so much gameplay and change despite only having 1 pack. I’ve used it a lot, including it’s items. How hard is it to avoid vampires themselves? Most of them are stuck in the neighborhood, you can turn off Vlad sneaking in your house at night in settings (I haven’t had that happen in a while, please tell me they didn’t remove that when it’s literally OPTIONAL). I run into a lot of vampire sims while playing other households but that’s because I made them. Just turn off the option, avoid the neighborhood, and delete the vampires in it.
    And now that I think about it more..

Alien abductions were nerfed too, I believe? I don’t know for sure because that’s just what someone said and you know how all that goes so I may be incorrect. I’ve played since 2017 or 2018, something like that, which isn’t really that long but y’know, and I’ve only had ONE alien abduction. It was out of nowhere. Before it supposedly got nerfed of course. Even in a previous save I did tons of stuff to attract them but nothing. If it’s that hard already, why would you change it?

We don’t have near as much stuff as realistic players and they nerf what we do have. A lot of my occults don’t even show their special needs such as hydration for mermaids. If we ever get werewolves, mark my words: They will not be up to par. It might be nice, but it will be held back.

Realistic players aren’t bad, and not all of them are against occults. I just wish they was more mature about it. I play families A LOT too, but obviously I play occults as well. . My sim had like 23 babies just because I was always wanting more children in my families, and decided to go for it and have as many as I want, but I often incorporate occults into my storylines.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
    edited November 2021
    The first pack I ever bought on sims4 was vampires. It provided so much gameplay and change despite only having 1 pack. I’ve used it a lot, including it’s items. How hard is it to avoid vampires themselves? Most of them are stuck in the neighborhood, you can turn off Vlad sneaking in your house at night in settings (I haven’t had that happen in a while, please tell me they didn’t remove that when it’s literally OPTIONAL). I run into a lot of vampire sims while playing other households but that’s because I made them. Just turn off the option, avoid the neighborhood, and delete the vampires in it.
    And now that I think about it more..

Alien abductions were nerfed too, I believe? I don’t know for sure because that’s just what someone said and you know how all that goes so I may be incorrect. I’ve played since 2017 or 2018, something like that, which isn’t really that long but y’know, and I’ve only had ONE alien abduction. It was out of nowhere. Before it supposedly got nerfed of course. Even in a previous save I did tons of stuff to attract them but nothing. If it’s that hard already, why would you change it?

We don’t have near as much stuff as realistic players and they nerf what we do have. A lot of my occults don’t even show their special needs such as hydration for mermaids. If we ever get werewolves, mark my words: They will not be up to par. It might be nice, but it will be held back.

Realistic players aren’t bad, and not all of them are against occults. I just wish they was more mature about it. I play families A LOT too, but obviously I play occults as well. . My sim had like 23 babies just because I was always wanting more children in my families, and decided to go for it and have as many as I want, but I often incorporate occults into my storylines.

As a Veteran Simmer myself, I have to agree Vampires were the deciding factor when it came down to buying the Sims 4, I honestly was going to skip the Sims 4 all together if it wasn't for Vampires, I wasn't interested in the slightest until that trailer dropped and finally renewed my interest in the Sims franchise.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2021
    Sindocat wrote: »
    EA/Maxis has actually shared the opposite sentiment, quite recently. They know Occults are popular and in demand, and have given us non-confirmation confirmation that more could be in the works. That is, they said as much as they ever CAN say about future plans that are not final, in a recent 411. Let me dig out the actual statement:
    Will there be werewolves, fairies, and zombies in The Sims 4?
    Maybe? Maybe! We definitely hear the occult fans' strong desire for werewolves, faeries, and zombies in The Sims 4. We can’t confirm at this time when they'll make their way into the game but rest assured, we would want to put as much love and thoughtfulness into them as we did for Vampires and Spellcasters. For now, our roadmap continues to be focused on improving content that is in the game. That said, stay tuned and prepare your Sims for a relaxing refresh of one of our existing Game Packs coming up soon!

(source)

No - it's not confirmation of coming content, but it is surely confirmation that they are aware of interest. But it is also an admission that as of last month, the Roadmap is focussed on polishing existing content - which has also been much requested. I am optimistic for my occults in the long term, however, myself.

One thing that I have realized when they make statements like this is that they don't really matter...

We have seen that the packs that they release could be anything. They have more or less an endless supply of ideas that they can turn into content for the sims4, and because they are dragging out everything and releasing everything in small updates or paid content in small packs... them saying that they "know what the fans want" doesn't mean that they will release it or they will not release it until several years later.

I'm sorry, but after 7 years, their history kinda speaks for itself. You might end up getting werewolves and faires, but probably not until they have released several other packs first. Those packs might not necessarily be bad.

I myself wanted farming, and I got it, this summer, I played for two weeks and then I got bored, I had more fun with Dream Home Decorator. A pack which I had no idea that I would enjoy.

So it's complicated, I don't think "we know that fans want werewolves", will mean that you will get a good pack with werewolves. You might end up getting a bad pack with werewolves and a good pack with fairies. Or you will get a completely different pack but you might end up liking it more, or less.
    I think some players need to step back and remember that the game isn’t all about them. There are as many ways to play Sims as there are Simmers. If the developers are wise, they know this, and also know that not everyone will be satisfied with every release. It’s impossible to please everyone.

Look at farming, for example. This was one of the realism players most requested packs. Players have also been complaining that everything is too American and they want more diversity. So Cottage Living comes out with a different take on farming. Instead of midwestern American agriculture, we got a new and different English cottage farm take. Immediately the complaints started: where’s my tractor? Where’s my horse? I need pigs!

So not everyone is going to like everything. That’s okay. The remedy is to buy and play the things you like without trying to force others to play the same way. Realism players might just have to pass on a few Supernatural packs, just like I pass on toddlers and family play.
    On the flip side, I’m also ready for family packs. Generations perhaps. People was talking about a romance pack which I would love, I just want occults more. Apparently there’s been a lot of hints dropped for a music pack, which I personally don’t want that much but that’s okay.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
    edited November 2021
    cyncie wrote: »
    I think some players need to step back and remember that the game isn’t all about them. There are as many ways to play Sims as there are Simmers. If the developers are wise, they know this, and also know that not everyone will be satisfied with every release. It’s impossible to please everyone.

Look at farming, for example. This was one of the realism players most requested packs. Players have also been complaining that everything is too American and they want more diversity. So Cottage Living comes out with a different take on farming. Instead of midwestern American agriculture, we got a new and different English cottage farm take. Immediately the complaints started: where’s my tractor? Where’s my horse? I need pigs!

So not everyone is going to like everything. That’s okay. The remedy is to buy and play the things you like without trying to force others to play the same way. Realism players might just have to pass on a few Supernatural packs, just like I pass on toddlers and family play.

Both University and Cottage Living are England based, and Snowy Escape was Japanese based, it's a real shame that the Devs had to remove the shrines since those were part of Japanese culture, after Snowy's backlash, I doubt the Devs would want to branch out to other countries like Canada, Scotland, Greece, France, Korea and Egypt, due to fear of another backlash, so they're playing it safe for now.
    edited November 2021

Both University and Cottage Living are England based, and Snowy Escape was Japanese based, it's a real shame that the Devs had to remove the shrines since those were part of Japanese culture, after Snowy's backlash, I doubt the Devs would want to branch out to other countries like Canada, Scotland, Greece, France, Korea and Egypt, so they're playing it safe.

your mention of Scotland made me think of the Selkie (which is actually Irish but still)
    I’m very well aware nothing like it will be added, since it’s not really the sims style and we have mermaids, but I think it would be so cool for them to be added. I wonder if I could do something with mermaids and heavy story building, to make that come true in my game.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
    edited November 2021

Both University and Cottage Living are England based, and Snowy Escape was Japanese based, it's a real shame that the Devs had to remove the shrines since those were part of Japanese culture, after Snowy's backlash, I doubt the Devs would want to branch out to other countries like Canada, Scotland, Greece, France, Korea and Egypt, due to fear of another backlash, so they're playing it safe for now.

Yep. And there will be backlash from that, too.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member

You're acting like the occult is something that is to be weighed against the entirety of other features combined, when in reality, it's just a sole theme itself. Thus not having had it for a while when we've had it several times in The Sims 4 is not showing favoritism to everything else, it's just adding different themes/features.

Besides, The Sims series is a life simulator first and foremost. I am not saying we can't have occults and supernatural content, I don't mean that at all, but I am saying that it shouldn't be surprising when we go a while without a supernatural pack.
    LiELF wrote: »
    Would you rather more Occults be included in EPs? They could lessen the "normal" content in there to make way for some fantastical like they used to in previous games. Then everyone gets something. No more waiting two+ years for Occult content for us, or realistic players complaining that a whole pack went to them. Include Occults in the bigger budget in every EP. Like you said, packs take up development time and people get disappointed. Just think of all the Occults we could have if they'd done that from the beginning.

As it is, anti-Occult players have always had the majority of EPs and the bigger budget development to themselves, save for Get To Work and Island Living, which weren't even thorough with the Occults they did have. And you're telling us, what, to just be quiet and accept it and let them express their disappointment because a couple of smaller Game Packs don't cater to them? Yeah, how about no. I think you've wandered into the wrong thread.

"anti-Occult players", oh, how very loaded.

Again, you're falling into this idea that occults are this huge feature that is set against all other features/themes combined, and when other themes are explored, it's "anti-Occult"/for the "anti-Occults". Give me a break, occults is not special stacked up against all of the other individual themes/features that others want.

And that's the crux of my whole opinion here. We all have individual opinions on what we want, and trying to shove it all into a realistic versus supernatural dichotomy is doing no one any favors. There are many realistic features that I wouldn't be excited to see, and I would take a unicorn occult over them any day (the Eco Living EP is an example of one of these realistic features I wasn't too excited to see). You see I have features on both "sides" that I'd love to see and would hate to see/be completely unexcited for. I don't stack unicorns over the realistic features I want or vice versa. But I do stack all of these over every other kind of realistic AND occult feature. That's because I see them all as things I want instead of "They need to add unicorns because they don't have enough occults".
    OO2UdmJ.png

You're acting like the occult is something that is to be weighed against the entirety of other features combined, when in reality, it's just a sole theme itself. Thus not having had it for a while when we've had it several times in The Sims 4 is not showing favoritism to everything else, it's just adding different themes/features.

Besides, The Sims series is a life simulator first and foremost. I am not saying we can't have occults and supernatural content, I don't mean that at all, but I am saying that it shouldn't be surprising when we go a while without a supernatural pack.

Again, you're falling into this idea that occults are this huge feature that is set against all other features/themes combined, and when other themes are explored, it's "anti-Occult"/for the "anti-Occults". Give me a break, occults is not special stacked up against all of the other individual themes/features that others want.

And that's the crux of my whole opinion here. We all have individual opinions on what we want, and trying to shove it all into a realistic versus supernatural dichotomy is doing no one any favors. There are many realistic features that I wouldn't be excited to see, and I would take a unicorn occult over them any day (the Eco Living EP is an example of one of these realistic features I wasn't too excited to see). You see I have features on both "sides" that I'd love to see and would hate to see/be completely unexcited for. I don't stack unicorns over the realistic features I want or vice versa. But I do stack all of these over every other kind of realistic AND occult feature. That's because I see them all as things I want instead of "They need to add unicorns because they don't have enough occults".
    I get the need for cars and updated babies seeing as those 2 things should be free updates or very least basegame.

I do agree with you to an extent that there's a bigger picture that has to be taken into consideration. In reality all players benefit from additional realistic gameplay options. However, your argument might carry more weight with those who like fantasy elements in their games, if in fact, those very fantasy elements had not been nerfed by devs at the request of realism players. When fantasy/occult players get content that is then crippled at the request of those who don't want that content, that tends to lead to an assumption of partiality. Especially when that content was bought and paid for precisely because it had those elements.

Playing realism alongside fantasy is my favorite way to play. But, to some, having any fantasy elements in game is unacceptable. Those people also need to be willing to see a larger picture of how the game is played in different ways by different types of players.