Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What to do when bored in Sims?

Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
Hello,

I'm wondering, how do you all cope with being bored in the Sims? How do you keep yourself entertained?

-Just to clarify I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm stuck myself (^_^)
Post edited by Jokr1929 on

Comments

• SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I change the households of my sims often. You might have a sim who's married multiple times. I have roommate situations too, so sims move in and out of homes usually when they start new relationships.

Downloading new CC is a habit of mines. I tend to go for new hairs.

If I get bored, I just don't play. I might come here to discuss the game or find something else to entertain myself.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited November 2021
    What packs do you have? What's your typical play style?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2021
    2014-2017, I created a new game, created new families, tried out new things, did challenges.

2018-2020, I played the game for an hour or so, created sims in CAS, played a lot of different households but did not do anything special with them. When they released a new pack I played the game for longer.

2021, I turn off the game and play something else. When they release a new pack I turn on the game and play it for a bit. I might start it up just to look at my sims and play them for less than an hour, but I don't really feel like playing longer without any new packs. I haven't really "played" the game for 4 months or so. Last thing I played was Cottage Living which lasted me for about two weeks. Now I might occasionally boot up the game to play 1 gig with Dream Home Decorator, offline, because I can't be bothered to update the game.
  • EllierosexEllierosex Posts: 359 Member
    Jokr1929 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm wondering, how do you all cope with being bored in the Sims? How do you keep yourself entertained?

I think I mainly go for completing collections or getting new mods or CC

Hello,

you could try doing activities? maybe let your sim go for a walk in the park? maybe call some friends over, you could also, let them go jogging, what does your sim like? if it likes art, or creativity, let them paint, maybe play some chess? anything really.
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I have a tendency to leave the game and either work on some genealogy or go through my emails. Sometimes, I get a hankering to build and if that strikes me and my story is moving way too slowly, I'll do that rather than shutdown.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I have a break every now and then. Sometimes it is because I have to focus on other things and sometimes it is because I don't have any inspiration to play. I return when I feel like I could play again and might have new ideas.

I play several families and try to have them live in different neighbourhoods and they should also have different things going on. I just reorganised and moved one of my main families (a couple and their child), because it felt like they were a bit stuck and their house (even though very lovely) started to restrict them. The parents live in San Myshuno now and their daughter lives in Evergreen Harbour with her grandmother. Playing them is so much more fun now and I'm really happy I made the changes. I've also added a couple of new background sims from the gallery and some new community lots and homes. In addition, giving my sims new outfits and for example changing the hairstyle or colour also helps making old sims feel fresh and more exciting to play.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    It kinda depends on what has bored me. Sometimes I learn something about how to adjust my playstyle so it doesn’t happen again. For example, I was enjoying Long lifespan for a while because I felt more free to use new pack features, let my sims grind less or socialize more, but after awhile I decided it was (still) too long and wanted to pick up the pace. Sometimes a particular save file just isn’t doing it for me anymore, but I’ve had an idea for a different approach and I go ahead and start that.

Lately I’ve wanted to play all the premade teens because I never have, so I downloaded some replacement lots for those families but in some cases, I could not find any that I really liked. So I played the families for a while to really get a feel for them and I built some new homes with mostly the same furniture. My goal was that you can bulldoze their lot and sell what they have in their household inventories, and the lots I’ve made are affordable to place, so it’s easy to get going with a new save. It’s been a fun little personal challenge for me that I’ve enjoyed sharing with others, as well. I did this for the Behrs, Kealohas, and Elderberrys and more to come. But the Goths really deserved an upgrade! I didn’t see them living in the neighborhood they were in, so I built them something creepy on the 50x50 lot in Willow Creek, and it’s more expensive but not something they cheated for, it just takes a week more or so of income for them to afford it. I hope more players are inspired to share what they’ve rebuilt for the premades because the search results were surprisingly low (I used hashtag lastname to search). Maybe with the upcoming premades update, there will be a surge of interest in playing them again.
  • jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I have a legacy that I play rotationally--there are about 10 families in total that are all part of this legacy. Sometimes, the generation or the household gets boring. After all, they've all got storied histories and lots of money by now (or at least enough to get by on), so it really means I have to work to make their lives interesting.

I have a few other households in each neighborhood that I've created to play when this slump happens. For these households, I actually download sims from the gallery rather than creating them myself to shake things up or expand my gameplay. The most fun I've had is playing them as a sort of modified RtR. They're not at zero dollars or out in the dirt, but they have to do everything "realistically." If they want groceries, they have to buy them at the store or grow them (Simple Living trait is great for this), if they want something new, they have to go to one of my retail shops. If they want to renovate, they have to have someone come that's an interior designer, and then I extract the cost of the renovation from their funds. If they want to get their hair or nails done, they go somewhere. I even have a fake tattoo shop set up where they get tattoos. I've really enjoyed this kind of gameplay and because it's challenging and requires more micromanaging, it's difficult for me to get bored.

Hello,

you could try doing activities? maybe let your sim go for a walk in the park? maybe call some friends over, you could also, let them go jogging, what does your sim like? if it likes art, or creativity, let them paint, maybe play some chess? anything really.
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    @babajayne you could also try searching for the original name of the premade family's lot - like "Ophelia Villa" instead of "Goth" - even if you intend to place the build on a different lot. You might get more gallery results that way.

gen3-banner.png
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Go on social media and ask for dragons.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    Look around the sims site, have you got things you could do? do they tell you their bored? what is their chosen activitys?
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    If I’m bored but want to keep playing my current game I throw in an antagonist character to create some drama and play that out for awhile.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Sometimes I just play another game for a while. In fact, yesterday I fired up an unfinished save in Witcher 3. Then I played some more Sims 4.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    you could also try searching for the original name of the premade family's lot - like "Ophelia Villa" instead of "Goth" - even if you intend to place the build on a different lot. You might get more gallery results that way.
    Come to think of it, I’ve searched by the lot name as well.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Hello,

-Just to clarify I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm stuck myself (^_^)

Cope? Why cope with boredom when one can avoid it?

Me personally? I sense boredom from a mile off. Before it can hit me I’m already off, seeking new adventures!
    AAh…the world is full of beauty and mystery and wonderful wonders.
    Boredom can talk to my 🍑.

• CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Try something I haven't done yet or don't play very often like play in a world I haven't played or don't play very often, level a career or skill, try a challenge, play personality traits I don't usually play, put my sims house on a lot I've not used yet.

Or, I take a break from the game for a while.
  • sophiesmithsimmersophiesmithsimmer Posts: 24 Member
    I used to get super bored with my Sims but I was giving them all very positive traits. I started making Sims with one negative trait (I LOVE the new High Maintenance trait that came with Spa Day refresh; my High Maintenance Sim is also a celebrity and of course she got the Emotion Bomb fame quirk and they pair soooo well together!) - that way it's an added challenge to manage the negative trait and keep my Sim happy.

I also start challenges a lot and then switch to a different in-progress challenge when I want to change up play style. And I don't have all the packs, so it usually doesn't work well, but I have been playing a bit in other players' saves and also work a bit in my own save file.
    Hello,

Cope? Why cope with boredom when one can avoid it?

Me personally? I sense boredom from a mile off. Before it can hit me I’m already off, seeking new adventures!
    AAh…the world is full of beauty and mystery and wonderful wonders.

i love this comment !!

I tend to mess with their emotions, they mess with mine, today, my sims were so mean! she kept ignoring me, causing havoc, they are so annoying!

They do listen to me some days and sometimes, they are rude and they do all or most of the time, love to ignore me when I ask them to do something but they stand still and shake their heads like nope I am not doing this. its so annoying
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • LeccaLecca Posts: 123 Member
    If I’m bored I’ll try and think of a new background or storyline I haven’t tried before. If I’m bored of a particular aspect, such as game play, I’ll focus on CAS and make some townies or build a new lot for my sims to visit. I’m currently trying out the Making Money scenario. Freelancer is usually a career I give to my sims with a lot of house work (raising children, gardening, running a farm, etc.) but this time I’m using it to try and complete the challenge. Grinding on the tablet all day turned out to be boring so now I’m trying to think of fun ways to reach 1mil that fit in with my sims artsy city lifestyle lol
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    I put my vampire sim into the casket to hibernate and just watched the seasons change.

Moved the camera around the world checking out the scenery and taking pictures.

Work on builds

Occasionally try playing around with all the controls in Create A Sim and try to make a sim that doesn't look too freaky

Try playing aspirations/careers/worlds/etc OTHER than what I typically play

Create a sim using story mode and try playing them as is.

The cake is a lie
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    When i get bored it is either because this game consumes much of me (i get super excited with it, so i play for hours or days in a row) and i need a break or it's because the playstyle i'm playing is not for me. I think i must have tried dozens of different playstyles until i found what i like better... which, in my case, is playing my own take in challenges that appeal to me.
    In the worst case, and if you've tried everything else, maybe the game isn't doing it for you anymore...?
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member

I simply do something else. I can get myself into a good murder mystery book for hours in a row :) (as long as nobody spoils the "who did it")

Ya know, peaches are very sensitive fruits :p
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SimminDragonSimminDragon Posts: 34 Member
    I believe a lot of people play like they would live their lives. I started playing on the wild side and your sim doesn't care about taboos. It is a game not life. I found some interesting mods, and thinking of downloading others. This would be different for everyone. For some it may be exploring the criminal careers and aspects. For others it may be letting your sims get spicy in their relationships. How spicy is up to you. Love triangle, black widow challenge, 100 bea challenge.

Currently doing the 100 bea (for me boyfirend) challenge, but ended up getting the player trait which make things easier. Spice it up my sim needs to have had woohoo with every one of them. Also, I'm letting my sim use the potion of youth while letting everyone age up.

I might try to redo the challenge with an unflirty trait and a mod that makes romance harder. Intensify the challenge, set some sims up in the world that have the jealously trait your sim can meet. Make it that they have to get 100 in their normal lifespan no potions used.

For some who may live their life on the wild side and never married, it may be playing a family. Playing a child, toddler, teen, aging them up, and continuing on with their life.

Look around for ideas and challenges. Take a challenge that interests you, and make it your own whether easier, harder, or more interesting.

I know others said to stop playing and play another game. For me Sims 4 is one of the few games I can play. I'm one of the few people who get sick if there is too much movement in a game. I like Skyrim, but can only play 10 to 15 minutes at a time. I had to have my daughter get me past the opening scene. I never got too far in that game. I'm not sure if I really want to take a step back and play yesteryears time management and hidden object games again. I did like some of the first rpg games that came out, and they looked more like minecraft than a current rpg game today.

I would play sims 2 again also if I could figure out how to get it to work with windows 10.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited November 2021
    Ya know, peaches are very sensitive fruits :p

Well….that’s true. You don’t want boredom to take a bite from it. It hurts. 😋