Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think the Sims 4 & its DLC is too US/euro focused?

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    Yes
    speaking as a canadien quebecer sim player would be nice to see a world base on ottowa montreal (quebec) and quebec aspecaly the old quebec neiberhood zgBDq4R.jpg
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    No
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I sort of don't understand your references. I think all countries are just about westernized aren't they? I mean where can you go in a culture that doesn't drive cars, have planes, have pcs, cell phones, TVs and I am asking for real? It seems people think that other peoples are still living in the stone ages, where they still practice old traditions from thousands of years ago, and or dress in traditional attire on a daily basis, but that isn't true but only in a very few places in the middle east. Unless people live on an island far away from the westernized world all countries have what came from America, like cars, planes, TVs, cellphones, Electricity, etc. So, I really don't understand the statements about mannerisms and culture.

What is so western about about cars, tv and technology? 🤣 i mean paper exists in the sims but i dont consider it to be chinese influenced game.

As far as culture, I mean some things that dont really exist in the Sims. Like for example the school system is from a western perspective. Ive seen some comments before like the way classes work in DU is different from their home country.

Some culture mannerism was brought in from Snowy Escape. Like leaving shoes at the door, bowing ,and like the uniforms as well. Things like that is what I meant by mannerisms. Some people kiss cheeks as a greeting and others wave hi or handshake. Like if you had drinking fizzy juice with a korean family in game, a sim may pour a drink respectfully the way it works in their culture. Things that would be considered cultural ettiquite where they live.

Korean-Drinking-Culture9.jpg

Your comment also comes off a little rude. When a country isnt "westernized" it doesnt mean its in the stone age. And traditional wear in some places arent as formal as you may think, its normal to be seen wearing some kinds of dresses or styles because it is their culture. Like how its normal to see people in America wearing a dress or suit and tie.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was talking about the westernized, modern world. We all live in a modern world where we all use what I listed. Which was created in America and I only mentioned those modern conveniences because you asked did we think the game was too American and or too European. There isn't any where (almost) that you can go where any of that isn't present in modern life. It's just a fact and shouldn't be taken rudely or anything else.

Well i wasnt mentioning tech, i said in my orignal comment what i meant by US or Euro inspired:

As far as worlds, food, clothing, activies, and mannerisms

I'm sorry if I came off as rude and offended you. What I see with the games now is too much California influence but people who don't live in America won't understand that. Like there is a lot of LA influcence in this game, I'm tired of all the LA type worlds they created for TS3. Not everyone in America celebrates the things they do. It's a vast, huge, diverse country. As far as food goes , some may think it's too American but to be blunt TS4 doesn't even have a lot of the food outside of urban food or LA influenced foods. I don't see how they can represent all the cultures of every little place inside a place all over the world, because they haven't even represented at all many customs and or foods, and or towns in America other than the West coast/East Coast attitudes and practices. I get what you are saying but they have yet to build the game outside of the box of LA. (Los Angeles) Look at their 'western' town in TS4, it's heavily Los Angeles influenced and doesn't even reflect Arizona, Kansas, Texas, or even Colorado or Wyoming or anywhere other than their own backyard.

Forget about Southern foods, there is hardly any in TS4. People in the South don't even bother with St. Patrick's day like those who live in north eastern states. What I mention doesn't even fill a thimble. So, yeah, I think others may think this game represents Americans but it doesn't, it represents those who live around Los Angeles. And the mid west is not even in TS4. So, it's kind of odd anyone who doesn't live in America would think it is how America is, no, it's far from it. It's basically LA's idea of America and the 'world'.

Yeah this game is so focus on California.I hope we get more southern and midwest worlds.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    Yes and no.
    In term of world and architecture, it's obviously yes.
    South America (Brazil, Peru, Chile), Africa and Middle East are still neglected.

In term of life, no. TS4 really do better than the previous games.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2021
    No
    There is no representation of my part of the USA. There is a bit of representation from multiple cultures around the world, but nothing that really matches what I would like.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yes
    Worlds by DLC:

Get to Work: lol I'm not gonna even acknowledge Magnolia Promenade
    Get Together: Scandinavia
    City Living: San Francisco
    Cats and Dogs: New England
    Get Famous: LA
    Island Living: Polynesia/Southeast Asia/Pacific
    Discover University: England/UK
    Eco Lifestyle: Pacific Northwest
    Snowy Escape: Japan
    Cottage Living: England/UK

Vampires: Transylvania maybe?
    Jungle Adventure: South America
    Strangerville: Arizona/Southwest USA
    Realm of Magic: Unsure, a wooded area that looks vaguely European
    Journey to Batuu: Well, this one is fictional

Bolded are the worlds that aren't inspired by the US or Europe. None of these worlds are based on Africa.

We have some content like the Caribbean update, the Moroccan furniture kit, and Incheon arrivals, but those are a drop in the bucket

I get that the developers are American and that TS1 was rooted in/a parody of suburban US life, but I would've thought they'd grow beyond that after 21 years
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    No
    There is no representation of my part of the USA. There is a bit of representation from multiple cultures around the world, but nothing that really matches what I would like.

Yeah this what kills me .I hope if we do get another American world.It would be bAse on a place that was not base before from American.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Worlds by DLC:

Bolded are the worlds that aren't inspired by the US or Europe. None of these worlds are based on Africa.

We have some content like the Caribbean update, the Moroccan furniture kit, and Incheon arrivals, but those are a drop in the bucket

I get that the developers are American and that TS1 was rooted in/a parody of suburban US life, but I would've thought they'd grow beyond that after 21 years

Get Together is Central Europe (Germany / Austria) Not Scandinavia.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    For example, the Latino content is an American theme. India theme is UK.

In Europe, Africa/Middle East is more present than Latino and India.

The Sims 4 is mainly based on USA/UK/Japan themes.
    Australia/New Zealand, Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand), Africa, Middle East, West Europe/Mediterranean countries, Russia/East Europe, Scandinavia, ... there are still many themes to add to the game.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    No
    I think there is a lot of US/Euro content but I don't feel it's too focused there as it is an American game, after all. A lot of the worlds seem to be based in America and Europe but we still have plenty of worlds and CAS/BB items inspired from all around the world too, and more and more is being included.

(My only issue is that Britechester was inspired by England and yet the University and Dorms were very American, but that's just me :lol:).

I do feel that the controversy that came from the Snowy Escape world might mean that the next few worlds are US/Euro based.
    Worlds by DLC:

San Myshuno was inspired by Cities all over the world, not just American ones:
    We initially drew inspiration from Asian cities like Shanghai and Tokyo, but they were too intense with the lights, and felt a bit too focused on single cultural groups. Then, we looked to coastal cities like Vancouver, San Francisco, New York, and Sydney, as places known to host hugely distinct cultures in unique neighborhoods.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/amp/news/sims-4-city-living-san-myshuno

edited November 2021
    Yes
    Worlds by DLC:

UK due to the reference to Nessie (Loch Ness monster)

UK medieval town

lord-l10.jpg
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    No
    Worlds by DLC:

UK medieval town

lord-l10.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/amp/news/how-we-built-windenburg-in-the-sims-4

They wanted Windenburg to be based on many different parts of Europe but the buildings are mostly based on 16th Century England.
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    If the worlds were inspired by Europe, the roads would be narrow and the lots would be small.

Actually the house size is designed for rich people. Even the apartments are too big.

• temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    No
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    We have England, Japan, Mexico, Eastern European with the US. So, it's not a problem. However, I wouldn't mind Canada to be included in the game considering I'm Canadian. But no worries. ;)

I have to Agree, it's less US centric than the first 2 Sims games we've gotten quite far compared to previous entries.
    edited December 2021
    Yes
    In term of meal, the sims don't eat European meals (potato, rice, semolina, pasta, quinoa, precooked wheat, vegetable ) .

We don't eat Eggs and Toast or pancakes at the breakfast.
    Doughnut, bagel, cupcake, cheesecake, apple pie, hot dog, hamburger, nugget and pizza are US meals.

No ham sandwich, no kebab and Vegetable meals are rare in The Sims 4.

parisi10.jpg
    brocco11.jpg
    edited November 2021
    No
    Worlds by DLC:

UK medieval town

lord-l10.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/amp/news/how-we-built-windenburg-in-the-sims-4

They wanted Windenburg to be based on many different parts of Europe but the buildings are mostly based on 16th Century England.

Huh. Because the name of the town is a German name, the building style definitely fit Bavaria or somewhere similar, and nobody in town have English names. Oh and the added bar food is all "German" including the Berlin specific one: Currywurst.

If it indeed IS built on England (again) that is actually very disappointing, because that means they have based everything "European" on the same 50 square miles for three different packs, basically.
    No
    In term of meal, the sims don't eat European meals (potato, rice, semolina, pasta, quinoa, precooked wheat, vegetable ) .

We don't eat Eggs and Toast or pancakes at the breakfast.
    Doughnut, bagel, cupcake, cheesecake, apple pie, hot dog, hamburger, nugget and pizza are US meals.

No ham sandwich, no kebab and Vegetable meals are rare in The Sims 4.

parisi10.jpg
    brocco11.jpg

Yeah, I agree with this: There is basically no non-UK European meals on the menu, the closest is the Curry wurst and Pretzels bar food.
    We definitely want kebabs, and a few other things in there.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    No
    UK again, the new kit inspired by London Fashion !

I've been to London a few times and definitely never seen anyone wearing those outfits. Having said that, I lasted visited a few years back. Maybe those fashions haven't made it south of London yet.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    @Mariefoxprice83

Not London as a city but as a place of fashion runway like New York and Milan.

London Fashion Week was in September.
    No
    @Mariefoxprice83

Not London as a city but as a place of fashion runway like New York and Milan.

London Fashion Week was from Friday 17th to Tuesday 21st September 2021.

Ah ok. I don't follow high fashion at all. I mean, I know those events happen in those places but that's as far as it goes. It doesn't really represent everyday life for most people though.
    No
    Britechester is clearly England based, too bad the Devs confused British college life with American college life since I heard that it's way different over there plus it was definitely the first UK themed world, Scotland and Ireland would be interesting European themes to visit one day just by their myths and legends alone.
    No
    Britechester is clearly England based, too bad the Devs confused British college life with American college life since I heard that it's way different over there plus it was definitely the first UK themed world, Scotland and Ireland would be interesting European themes to visit one day just by their myths and legends alone.

Wales too :)
    No
    Personally I think we need a Canadian themed world.
  • wildleafbatwildleafbat Posts: 23 Member
    No
    I feel like I'm the only one who didn't know Britechester was based off the UK :D I thought it was like a New England-ish/East Coast college town.

Anyway, I agree with many of the others that while the game is U.S. focused, I think there's an obvious reason for that. I also think it does a lot better than the previous games, though I'd still love to see some new, non-US. based worlds. What I wouldn't give for another Monte Vista. I'd also love a totally out-of-this world location, like Lunar Lakes from the Sims 3. It was always one of my favorite worlds and I love wacky stuff like that.
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    In term of holiday and tradition, Love Day (St Valentin), Harvestfest (Thanksgiving ?) and Winterfest (aka Xmas) are US.

For example St Patrick Day, Chinese Lunar Year or Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) are missing .

dia-de10.jpggm9w2g10.png