Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you regulate playing the Sims and Forum-ing?

As some of you probably know by now, I love The Sims 4. And I love The Sims Forum. ("Yeah Darstep0301, you ask a 1000 questions"). One let's me play an imaginary realistic sim, and the other allows me to communicate with simmers all over the world. I find it hard to do without either. I'd start to load up the game and exit before I start just to see what the community is talking about (like just now). I think I'll play an hour, and then check in to the forum for a few, and then go back to playing for an hour. I've got to find a way to do both enjoyably. Anyway, how do you manage both? Hmmm!

Comments

• Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Hum, I don't think too much about how I spend my quality time on either. Sometimes I just feel like discussing the game instead of playing. When I do play the game. I may need answer to a problem and I'll switch between desktops because you can do that with Windows 11now. I have been playing in windows mode for the longest though so I can do quick research like for baby names.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    When I play I don't do any foruming. I like being immersed in the game and avoid all other distractions.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I usually check in on the forums periodically throughout the day. I also, check in at night before going to bed. That's what I'm doing now.

As for playing the game, I play in the evening mostly. After the kids are done with school and dinner has been made (and eaten). That's to say if I play at all. If something on YouTube catches my attention more, then I'll do that instead.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

How do I manage both?
    I can barely manage my own life let alone my gaming hours AND spending time on the forum. 😅
    Its all quite random for me.

For example, right now I’m sitting in the middle of a field with sheep.
    Sheep are…interesting. They can look at you funny.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Sometimes i have time to sit and play in the pc but instead i update my story in the "what happened in your game today" thread and post some screenshots. That i do in the pc, but never at the same time as playing.
    To check and participate in the discussions i use mostly the phone, when i'm having my coffe at the cafe or waiting for something or before sleeping...
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I'm on the forum while I'm playing the game, which happens to be quite often :D and I check in when I finish work and before going to bed.
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    I'm on the forum while I'm playing the game, which happens to be quite often :D and I check in when I finish work and before going to bed.

Now that is something I never thought of. I'll have to look into that. Thx
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    How do I manage both?
    I can barely manage my own life let alone my gaming hours AND spending time on the forum. 😅
    Its all quite random for me.

For example, right now I’m sitting in the middle of a field with sheep.
    Sheep are…interesting. They can look at you funny.

I live on TS4. TS4 before work. TS4 after work and The Forum as much as I can.
  • Options
    CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    I mainly am on the forums during the work day when I can't be on the game.
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    oddly enough, sometimes I like watching game changers and their YouTube videos more than playing myself sometimes. I get inspiration to play or building watching them though.
  • Options
    EllierosexEllierosex Posts: 359 Member
    I multi task, one eye is on the forum the other is on the game and waiting for the mum to give birth oops and the other ( back of my head ) is on the daughter of mine irl!
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I use my phone to check the forums instead of other social media. I find this content more interesting. It’s nice to get tips, ideas, opinions or share my own.

Sometimes I just need a break from sitting at the computer since I’ve had shoulder issues. And just now, I stopped playing because my cat was walking all over me and my keyboard.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »
    I use my phone to check the forums instead of other social media. I find this content more interesting. It’s nice to get tips, ideas, opinions or share my own.

Sometimes I just need a break from sitting at the computer since I’ve had shoulder issues. And just now, I stopped playing because my cat was walking all over me and my keyboard.

me too :) hope your well
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I come to the forum when my mind is on the sims but I can't get into the game itself due to real life. When I play, I play and don't come to the forums.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Ellierosex wrote: »

Same to you! 😄 I’m trying to take more breaks and stretch more. It’s hard when I get into building or playing!
  • Options
    Ellierosex wrote: »

Same to you! 😄 I’m trying to take more breaks and stretch more. It’s hard when I get into building or playing!

I am currently working on my pregnant mamas nursery lmao because she is in her 2nd trimester in 9 hours oops
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I read through the forums on my phone at work (or whenever I’m not at home). I play the game on a desktop computer, so I’m much more limited. The forums are also great for getting a fix if I don’t have time to play for a decent amount of time or I’m not feeling inspired to play.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I usually visit the forums to kill time when I have nothing important to do at work, like right now. I don't participate in many hot discussions, so there's always enough time to finish my forum business at work and then go home to play the game (or pursue other hobbies and live my life) for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    When I'm playing my sims that are part of the running story I tell in the what-happened-in-your-game thread, I'm usually on the lookout for moments I can screencap so I can include them in the post. And even when I'm not actively playing, I check in from time to time around here just to talk about the game—recently took a new contract job that's eating up my days and restricting my play to the weekend, for example, and that'll be true for at least the next couple months (I'm a freelancer/contractor/office temp in my IRL occupation. It's nice as long as there's not too much downtime.)

I'm looking forward to getting Danielle Lembeck the rest of the way through UBrite over this coming weekend and into a career.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I do the forums in the morning, when I don't have time to play the game (and can't afford to get immersed...I'd never get to my walk, shower and work...). Also useful when I'm playing the game and I run into something that isn't working for me - I'll do a search on the forums to see if someone has posted an answer to my problem or noted that it's a bug.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    My "routine" is to clear off my emails first thing, come here to the forums to see what's new, and to check a couple of posts I visit frequently to comment or 'rate' a post or two. If something happens in my game, I will pause it to come over here to share, or if it requires opinions to help me out of a 'situation' that may have arisen. I love both playing, building, and the community over here. I'm alone a lot, and each of you have become my vehicle to share what's going on in my little 'world', so to speak. Thank you. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I don't have such a routine but, I tend to clean my house ( in real life ) and then, i play sims til the early hours of the afternoon, i then come on the forums, i then play sims and then i sleep :).
    I use both sometimes at the same time but sometimes now who knows
    "Za Woka Geneva"
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    edited November 2021
    Last time when I played the game, I just played it and didn't go on the web, switch tabs to another program or Web browser or even go on my phone.

And then I take a lot of screen shots of cool or funny stuff that happens in the game and then post them in the Fav Screenshot thread like after my gaming session or the next day. I usually spend my time on the forum pretty much whenever I'm on the Web. And game time is when I'm *not* on the Web. 😂

I think my time allocation is more of a 80% of the time being on the Web and then 20% playing the game. I'm more of a social media person more than a video gamer person so it's no surprise that I spend more time talking on the forums than playing the game. 😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I hang out on the forum a lot when I really can’t be on my computer, like when I’m exercising. Then when I’m simming, I’m not on the forum at all usually.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I have the Sims 4 on my PC and my PS4, I just have the base game and holiday pack on my PC, and pretty much everything on my PS4 version. So, I can check the forums without having to stop my game.