Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Medieval - ok for story telling?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
edited November 2021 in The Sims Medieval
If we get no TS4 pack this Winter, I might grab Sims Medieval for a source of new inspiration :) It's 10 years old already, but I think it would be a good game for my laptop to enjoy while away from my TS4 game. But it's hard to find pictures and other stuff. I watched a couple LPs on youtube, and saw a few pictures but they were all mostly from the first gaming sessions, not really going deep.

My way of gaming is often story driven, and I prefer making most of the story myself. I get that Medieval is quest based, but I also read here was added a "Free play" quest which is actually not involving quests. But can I expect to grab screenshots and video captures like in TS4 - with no UI? I'm doing Machinima, not Lets plays. I also want some good captures to use with historical picture objects etc in my TS4, could make for great Museum exhibitions or ancestors wall etc.

So - is there any hide-UI mode?
Can I zoom up close when two sims chat?
Can I easily navigate the cam to get the better angles etc?
Can I re-access CAS once the Hero was created?
Can I switch from one Hero to another during the same game?
Is there any sense of a dynasty with a main heir etc? Say if my Hero is a Monarch, will the game be aware of a future Successor? I understand this is no generations game, but it would be nice if a King is aware of who is the Crown Prince, even if the Prince is a child.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, seems like all old forums are closed. The Sims Medieval is currently at §10, should be iteresting to more simmers than me :)
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
Post edited by EA_Mako on

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    edited November 2021
    Sims Midieval forum is still active.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/987180/hoping-for-a-sims-medieval-2/

ETA: Carl also has a strategy guide for Midieval. Might address some of your questions.

http://www.carls-sims-medieval-guide.com/

Another guide.
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/604342-the-sims-medieval/faqs/63531
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    If we get no TS4 pack this Winter, I might grab Sims Medieval for a source of new inspiration :) It's 10 years old already, but I think it would be a good game for my laptop to enjoy while away from my TS4 game. But it's hard to find pictures and other stuff. I watched a couple LPs on youtube, and saw a few pictures but they were all mostly from the first gaming sessions, not really going deep.

My way of gaming is often story driven, and I prefer making most of the story myself. I get that Medieval is quest based, but I also read here was added a "Free play" quest which is actually not involving quests. But can I expect to grab screenshots and video captures like in TS4 - with no UI? I'm doing Machinima, not Lets plays. I also want some good captures to use with historical picture objects etc in my TS4, could make for great Museum exhibitions or ancestors wall etc.

Is there any sense of a dynasty with a main heir etc? Say if my Hero is a Monarch, will the game be aware of a future Successor? I understand this is no generations game, but it would be nice if a King is aware of who is the Crown Prince, even if the Prince is a child.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, seems like all old forums are closed. The Sims Medieval is currently at §10, should be iteresting to more simmers than me :)

I quoted so I could remember the questions.

1. Yes, you can take the pictures without a UI just like in any Sims' game.
    2. Yes, you can zoom pretty close.
    3. If you mean can you change body attributes and or facial settings after creating the Sim while in the game, no, just like we can't do that in TS4 without the CAS cheat. I can't remember the cheats for TSM. But they are listed. But you can change clothes, hair etc.
    4. If you are playing the Ambitions, that do not call for a second or third hero then no, you can't switch to a different hero if the quests doesn't have more than one. Some have several. If you are playing in Freemode, then yes, but you will get notifications about the other one that you stopped playing etc.
    5. There is a particular quest that is Heir to the Thrown, and it's important you don't have the monarch marry and or have kids before you play that quest. But if you add a church or two (can't remember which one allows a divorce) you can get a divorce if you had the Sim marry before the quest is played.

Once you figure out which towns to annex you have much more time to play a 'story' instead of just questing, and more time to do the chores and tasks etc. (Some towns offer better benefits if you annex them and different quests). Carl's guide is a good place to read all about that. But Freemode is not available right away. Certain things should be done so Freemode would be more robust with more heroes and buildings if you want to play in freemode.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Sims Midieval forum is still active.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/987180/hoping-for-a-sims-medieval-2/

ETA: Carl also has a strategy guide for Midieval. Might address some of your questions.

http://www.carls-sims-medieval-guide.com/

Another guide.
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/604342-the-sims-medieval/faqs/63531

Thanks! I found such great info that forum. I must have missed it in the category index, or it is very well hidden ;)
    Cinebar wrote: »

I quoted so I could remember the questions.

1. Yes, you can take the pictures without a UI just like in any Sims' game.
    2. Yes, you can zoom pretty close.
    3. If you mean can you change body attributes and or facial settings after creating the Sim while in the game, no, just like we can't do that in TS4 without the CAS cheat. I can't remember the cheats for TSM. But they are listed. But you can change clothes, hair etc.
    4. If you are playing the Ambitions, that do not call for a second or third hero then no, you can't switch to a different hero if the quests doesn't have more than one. Some have several. If you are playing in Freemode, then yes, but you will get notifications about the other one that you stopped playing etc.
    5. There is a particular quest that is Heir to the Thrown, and it's important you don't have the monarch marry and or have kids before you play that quest. But if you add a church or two (can't remember which one allows a divorce) you can get a divorce if you had the Sim marry before the quest is played.

Once you figure out which towns to annex you have much more time to play a 'story' instead of just questing, and more time to do the chores and tasks etc. (Some towns offer better benefits if you annex them and different quests). Carl's guide is a good place to read all about that. But Freemode is not available right away. Certain things should be done so Freemode would be more robust with more heroes and buildings if you want to play in freemode.

Awesome! I'm a little confused, but hopefully that will change after test playing a bit.
  • RainKikoRainKiko Posts: 32 Member
    I wanna try it now! Lot's of good info in this thread all!
  • AriesValentineAriesValentine Posts: 29 Member
    I have a question since I can't open a thread, (been here for years and never really used this -_-) if I were to hypothetically make sims in Medieval what would the relationship be to my present day sims? Like I have plans that my sims family tree goes far back to the ruler of it.
    I have a question since I can't open a thread, (been here for years and never really used this -_-) if I were to hypothetically make sims in Medieval what would the relationship be to my present day sims? Like I have plans that my sims family tree goes far back to the ruler of it.

Not sure I understand your question, so my reply might be way off... :) Sims Medieval and The Sims 4 are separate games and nothing regarding sims or family tree will transfer over. Besides, I found it real hard to build a family tree in Medieval because you really can't control a lot re generations. What you can do though it to take their medieval portrait (screenies) and create the fam tree in a graphic editor program like Photoshop, just for the reference.
  • CrayliciaCraylicia Posts: 12 New Member
    > @simgirl1010 said:
    > Sims Midieval forum is still active.
    >
    > https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/987180/hoping-for-a-sims-medieval-2/
    >
    > ETA: Carl also has a strategy guide for Midieval. Might address some of your questions.
    >
    > http://www.carls-sims-medieval-guide.com/
    >
    > Another guide.
    > https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/604342-the-sims-medieval/faqs/63531

Thanks for this! I'm thinking of getting into the Sims Medival Franchise again. Although I cannot boot it up since I keep on getting DasmX86Dll.dll not found error. The EA support hasn't helped much. I've been reading through the forums to possibly find a workaround.