Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it me, or is the average body size of Sims in TS4 skinnier than one in TS3?

In The Sims 3, the body size looks as if there is a reasonable and realistic thickness. The waist size looks realistic. But, in the Sims 4, the Sims themselves (without any clothing) look so skinny. It reminds me of TS2 in a way, because the average body shape is also very thin.

Comments

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think the difference is that the sliders are a little more extreme? In ts4 you can make a sim look like bones or fat or thick. There is a lot of control. You can change their muscle or fat content as well as use the sliders. I don't really feel there is an average or standard ts4 body. The basic starting body could possibly seem a bit thinner but only if you choose to leave it so 🙂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    You are spot on @Babykittyjade . I love this CAS, so much better than what we had in the past.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2021
    In The Sims 3, the body size looks as if there is a reasonable and realistic thickness. The waist size looks realistic. But, in the Sims 4, the Sims themselves (without any clothing) look so skinny. It reminds me of TS2 in a way, because the average body shape is also very thin.

You are correct. The average Sim generated in TS4 is a thinner frame than the average 3D model in TS3. It's like when people pick a preset face in TS4 they usually go with the first or second head/face. This game generates one of the predefined frames more often than not but as far as the sizes of the body frames, length of arms, legs, and necks the frames are thinner by default. The Sim in the CASt in TS3 is more normal with a little thicker, wider shoulders etc. Wider at the waist, and shorter arms etc. It took a really long time for me to get used to the style of TS4 with the Sims' longer arms, seemed so out of proportion along with the willowy frames.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    One thing I notice is as sims age they invariable get fatter. I don't know if what they eat makes a diff or not. Like if they ate only chocolate cake instead of just garden salads would they get fatter faster? I sense a new experiment coming on.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    The Sims 3 sims always looked like they could be football players.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    One thing I notice is as sims age they invariable get fatter. I don't know if what they eat makes a diff or not. Like if they ate only chocolate cake instead of just garden salads would they get fatter faster? I sense a new experiment coming on.

Yes food matters in all these games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2021
    Not quite on topic (I agree that random gen/premades in TS4 tend to be oddly proportioned in comparison to TS3, I think it's just due to there being more customizability - however, I think the largest frame in TS3 is larger than TS4) BUT

The feminine frames in TS4 seem to have very low hips. It's difficult to explain but the widest point on the hips is stuck to a point very low on the torso. I'm sure this is a possible body shape and many have it IRL, but amongst myself and the people around me I feel like the hips tend to be a bit higher in comparison to the torso/legs. TS2 and TS3 seemed to be more proportioned that way. I wish we could have more customization for the waist/hips/legs, because for all the baseline customization added it's still very difficult for me to make an accurate simself.

Edit: looping back to the topic, proportions play a huge part in how thin/thick the frame looks. the exaggerated " ) ( " of most sims gives them the thinner look.
    Screen-Shot-2021-11-08-at-3-15-04-PM.png
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    @Logicallyironic Great visualisation of the differences. I find that pinched waist really annoying and almost always pull it out, but I handn't noticed how weird the hip ratio was.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    I've played both TS3 and TS4 recentely and the CAS differences like this are one of the things that frustrate me the most. If I want to create a person of an average build, I feel that the body shape is more realistic in TS3 however those pudding faces are something that I find really offputting.