Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you rather be/control a Occult sim or a Human sim? Hmmm!!!

Comments

• Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I play what I consider more realistic characters usually in the sims. But I find use for all the packs in the sims 4. In sims 2 I did love playing a witch. I moved my Goths in Sims 4 to Forgotten Hollow because, well that’s just where the Goths should be. I also made gravestones for Mortimer’s parents, put them on the lot, and gave Cassandra a Siamese Kitten ( like her Grandmothers cats ) and have given Alex a rat. I could easily see Bella as a Vampire and Cassandra as a Witch and Alex as a Warlock. I sometimes wonder if Alexander Goth was inspired by Harry Potter books.

That was insightful.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I play both. I grew up on the old horror movies and loved them as well as horror novels. My favorite authors are King and Koontz. When I played Sims 2 I was naive and didn't realize I could actually play the occults so played human families. But I was always happy to see them in the game! Now I play both human sims and occult sims in all the sims games, whenever I have the time. The Sims has never been based only on realism, and has always had the occults. The Sims 4 has separate packs for occults, so if someone doesn't want them in the game they have a choice not to buy those packs. I really need my werewolves, fairies and would love to have dragons like in the Sims 3! And improvements on ghosts, aliens, and plantsims so they are more playable. Offering different styles of packs allows for more players to be able to choose their playstyle and be able to enjoy the game. If I remember correctly, there was a quiz on Sims 3 (?) while game was loading. One of the questions was asking what the gamestyle intent originally was and I was surprised that the correct answer was about building. I always thought it was about family! I also absolutely love the family play and play many different types of families. Like others here, I have separate saves for the different styles. Being able to have a supernatural game, a game with only humans, or a game with all is what makes The Sims unique and so much fun!
  • Options
    I play both. I grew up on the old horror movies and loved them as well as horror novels. My favorite authors are King and Koontz. When I played Sims 2 I was naive and didn't realize I could actually play the occults so played human families. But I was always happy to see them in the game! Now I play both human sims and occult sims in all the sims games, whenever I have the time. The Sims has never been based only on realism, and has always had the occults. The Sims 4 has separate packs for occults, so if someone doesn't want them in the game they have a choice not to buy those packs. I really need my werewolves, fairies and would love to have dragons like in the Sims 3! And improvements on ghosts, aliens, and plantsims so they are more playable. Offering different styles of packs allows for more players to be able to choose their playstyle and be able to enjoy the game. If I remember correctly, there was a quiz on Sims 3 (?) while game was loading. One of the questions was asking what the gamestyle intent originally was and I was surprised that the correct answer was about building. I always thought it was about family! I also absolutely love the family play and play many different types of families. Like others here, I have separate saves for the different styles. Being able to have a supernatural game, a game with only humans, or a game with all is what makes The Sims unique and so much fun!

The Sims was based on building because it came from Sim City and that was about nothing but building. The Sims is also based on realism. I wonder why people say different? It has people going to work, buying homes, caring for children, buying furniture, changing clothes, taking baths, brushing teeth, and the list goes on. Although the vampires may be fun to play, in the end they are not based on realism.
  • Options
    cytnl wrote: »
    I mostly play occult sims. Usually spellcasters, though I will play the others off and on as my desires or needs suit. (Right now I have a spellcaster "mom" who adopted mermaid, alien, and vampire toddlers for the Too Many Toddlers scenario because I thought that would be funny.) As I said in another thread of yours, I don't play the Sims to be realistic. I have to be a plain old boring human in real life, why would I want to be one in my games if I don't have to? (This also might stem from my old days as a roleplayer - I always played occults and never humans for this same reason.)

You are not a plain old boring person in real life. You know why? Because you play The Sims and what's more exciting than that? Lol
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I almost exclusively play Spellcasters since I got Realm of Magic. Sometimes I don't take the time to develop their magical skills much beyond Scruberoo and Repario (those cauldrons take up a lot of space), but I frequently start with them having some sort of magic.

I don't play The Sims, or any game, to simulate any reality I live in, or even could live in. I play The Sims and all the TTRPGs for the fantasy. For the world that does not really exist, (or didn't in the case of some games)

That's not to say I don't appreciate realistic touches, but at the end of the gaming session, I don't want realism, I want believability.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2021
    I did not buy Vampired, but take the other sims as they are. The occult sims are not that different from other sims.

I consider aliens an ethnic minority. :)
  • Options
    There were ghosts and the tragic clown in the first The Sims game, and vampires and witches added in Sims 2. Although the family is based on real life, going to work, school, family interactions, the occult has also been part of the franchise from the start. So while based on realism of life, it also is a game that allows for the supernatural/occult to be a part of whatever story the player wants to tell. I hope that never changes.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't think the sims was based in realism from the beginning. It was more of a parody of real life, with plenty of funny exagerated situations...
  • Options
    texxx78 I agree with you 100%! I remember the first time in Sims 2 my sim was visited by the Social Bunny. I didn't know until then it existed. I nearly died laughing, it was so funny! It is the crazy moments and unexpected situations the sims find themselves in that added so much to the gameplay!
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I play human sims. The only nonhuman i may play is alien. Otherwise, I keep occults out of my game and Im grateful when the game allows me not to engage with occults (opt in play, especially when an expansion has nothing to do with occult. What does city life have to do with vampires?? Just give me my high-rise, please)
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    Both. Sims are all some sort of human-like occults for me, though. I don't like too much realism in games and Sims are just perfect.
    I play more with regular Sims, but I like to play with vampires, spellcasters and other occults too. I don't like to be limited to just one type of Sims.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I play human sims. The only nonhuman i may play is alien. Otherwise, I keep occults out of my game and Im grateful when the game allows me not to engage with occults (opt in play, especially when an expansion has nothing to do with occult. What does city life have to do with vampires?? Just give me my high-rise, please)

Well, that's where all the blood is, of course. A smorgasbord of fine dining. 😁
    #Team Occult
  • Options

I only played a vampire in TS3. other than that I prefer humans too.
  • Options
    texxx78 I agree with you 100%! I remember the first time in Sims 2 my sim was visited by the Social Bunny. I didn't know until then it existed. I nearly died laughing, it was so funny! It is the crazy moments and unexpected situations the sims find themselves in that added so much to the gameplay!

The social bunny visited you because your sim was in desperate need of social activity (the meter turned red).
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »

Well, that's where all the blood is, of course. A smorgasbord of fine dining. 😁

Spoken like a true Vampire. Lol
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,035 Member
    I personally prefer realistic, but could play magical worlds as well, if I felt like it.

Regardless, I do think that those who prefer the occult should have theirs - but in their own packs OR with an option to turn the magical element off and on. The latter would be enough for a realistic player to avoid the occult element, but I would suspect that packs are more fully fledged and thought through and give the creatures they feature proper attention, gameplay and objects needed to give players the immersive experience they want.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    WolfnightsingerWolfnightsinger Posts: 22 Member
    I only play with occult Sims. I've spent years waiting for werewolves so I can finally make all of the Sims and play the storylines I want to make. I enjoy my occult Sims doing mundane things in their world, so I definitely don't begrudge the packs that add realism to their world, but I would like to see occult players get a little more love.

If the Sims was all about realism and they took occult/fantasy out of the game entirely, I wouldn’t play it anymore. I don't play this to simulate life. I play it because I can create all sorts of wild characters and set them free to tell a story. This franchise has always had a lot of fantastical elements to it. Taking them away takes away part of what makes The Sims, well...The Sims.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited November 2021

The Sims was based on building because it came from Sim City and that was about nothing but building. The Sims is also based on realism. I wonder why people say different? It has people going to work, buying homes, caring for children, buying furniture, changing clothes, taking baths, brushing teeth, and the list goes on. Although the vampires may be fun to play, in the end they are not based on realism.

I don’t change clothes by spinning around. I don’t shop for food from my refrigerator. Kids in the real world don’t go from toddler to school aged in one birthday. If I die, no one will be able to give death a flower to keep me alive. The Sims has always relied on suspension of disbelief and has never been grittily realistic. If you want that, there are mods to get you there.

Things “not based in realism” were never a problem for this game. Some people want their game to look more like real life. Others want to explore imaginary worlds. Some mix the two. The great thing about The Sims is that it can give all types of players a base to create their own in-game reality.

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I too almost exclusively play occults, mainly spellcasters, sometimes vampires and no mermaids, aliens or plantsims. With that being said, I would love some werewolves and faeries to play. Most of my casters know several spells from each branch and potions come in handy...and a couple of them know all the spells.

I can get tired of skilling, career, marriage, kids, then rinse and repeat. But playing occults are so much more fun!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    What do some of you mean by “occults are not real” or “it’s just fantasy”?
    Clearly you folks haven’t seen anything yet. 🙄

Vampires do a pretty good job in The Sims 4 other than that they’re not as scary and intense as they were or should be, thanks to all the scaredy cats out there who only wanted the Victorian style toilet from that GP but not the poor vamps.

Plus I would love the werewolves in my game to be as realistic as possible and I want equal control over both human and beast….probably more beast because I can relate. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I play both, occult and human sims. I'm always on board for more occult stuff.
  • Options
    What do some of you mean by “occults are not real” or “it’s just fantasy”?
    Clearly you folks haven’t seen anything yet. 🙄

Vampires do a pretty good job in The Sims 4 other than that they’re not as scary and intense as they were or should be, thanks to all the scaredy cats out there who only wanted the Victorian style toilet from that GP but not the poor vamps.

Plus I would love the werewolves in my game to be as realistic as possible and I want equal control over both human and beast….probably more beast because I can relate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Are vampires real? Are werewolves, fairies, dragons, elves, and spellcasters real? Hardly! They are all fantasy characters.
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    I play both "normal" Sims and Occult Sims together in all my saves.

But I do favor the Occult in my main families. I do so like filling my house with all kinds of wacky creatures - latest attempt is a Vampire that is oversensitive to the Sun, but refuses to not partake in Sulani's daily fun. He's gonna be out in the sun, he'll just have to be a quick swimmer and stop treading water once he's done doing his laps.

Fairies and then Werewolves would be a most welcome addition.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    We need both regular sims and occults. Occults are fun!! We need more (werewolves and fairies) and better occults (mermaids and aliens)!
  • Options
    RedShoe7 wrote: »
    We need both regular sims and occults. Occults are fun!! We need more (werewolves and fairies) and better occults (mermaids and aliens)!
    RedShoe7 wrote: »

I grew up watching "Creature Features" on Friday nights. I've seen enough of Frankenstein, Dracula, the Werewolf, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Even then I knew they were fantasy characters. But for me atleast, TS4 is a life simulator and those creatures don't exist in my world. Although I'm sure they are fun for others.