Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do us guys feel playing the female sim?

Comments

• Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited November 2021
    Opps - I didn't realize that this thread was for "us guys."

I'm a female player. I haven't played a female Sim since November 2014.

When I first started playing TS4 in October 2014 I created three Sims - one female and two males. These were recreations of the main Sims that I had in TS2. I started with the female because she was my main in TS2. It didn't take me long to realize that I didn't like her voice or the multitude of sounds she made when she did anything. Listening to her constantly giggle while doing something as simple as painting finally did it for me. I paint in real life but I don't giggle constantly while I'm painting. I stopped playing for about a month because there were many things that I didn't like about the game - especially random flirting.

I decided to take another look at this game in November 2014. This time I started playing one of the male Sims. One had the Creative trait and the other had the Genius trait. I didn't really know much about either of those traits or how they influenced a Sim's behavior. Whims were still new to me too. When I was creating these two guys I found out right away that clothing options for males were limited. There was no custom content yet either. There were a few clothing items that were pretty cool, plus males could have tattoos, and they had masculine voice options and walk-styles. I played each one of these guys for several Sim weeks not realizing that aging was on until I got a notice that one of them was going to age up to Adult. I logged out before that happened so I could figure out how to turn aging off. Playing the two males ended any interest that I had in playing female Sims. That was also when I found out that I really didn't like the Creative trait. I still have this game on my external drive. All three Sims are still young adults, their houses are very dark because lighting was weird back then, and boy are they dressed weird.

Since then I only play female Sims when I need one for a family. I only play her long enough to adjust her voice, get her a job, level a few skills, chat with the kids to unlock the Charisma skill, and help them with homework at least once. None of the females ever has the Creative or Bookworm traits.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited November 2021
    To make matters worse, I had to down the Kawaii Stacie mod (every woman simmer has it), no name needed, where the female has a menstrual cycle. Now I'm buying tampons and tampex.

I'm not a guy and I don't feel like "chiming in for effect" as you put it, but I was just curious why you had to download this mod? Especially when you seem to be uncomfortable using it?
  • Options
    Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    thx for the comment. I'll try to look at dressing the females as you do the males.
  • Options
    CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    Every woman has the KS mod? Nah, I doubt that, I don't want my sums to gp thrpugh PMS thank you very much.
  • Options
    grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    I’m a male player who plays male and female sims pretty equally. I was raised entirely by women in real life, so my perspective probably differs from a lot of players—I simply don’t find gender identity that interesting. People are people. I view gender as performative and so it can be fun in that regard, but I don’t believe it reveals anything essential about a person, so it doesn’t affect my in-game storylines very much. I don’t really get hung up on makeup or jewelry because the women I knew growing up didn’t wear them, and I tend to create sims that reflect the life I’ve known. I also believe though that it’s your world, and your understanding of gender can be explored through the options the game gives you—so there’s a lot we can learn about ourselves! :)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    It's so easy for me to play my female sims because I'm a 100% born & raised female myself. I love playing with the pretty hairs, jewlery, shoes & make-ups. So pretty. :p It's actually the guys that I have to try to figure out because there's a bit of a lack of Masculine CAS in the game. Also, I wish that the males had some body hair. Oh well. :'(
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    For me, TS4 is pretty much all about CAS and seeing what I can create. I like beautiful women in real life, so it's fun to create them in CAS.

How do I feel about playing them? No different than playing a male sim.

Makeup; I don't find it difficult, more like annoying, because I have to do it with every seasonal outfit. I wish there was a setting to keep the same makeup for all occasions
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    As female player i do not have problems playing with male sims that much

but i do have problem of making my sims lives awful in way or another to avoid the barbie utopia vibe :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm a male simmer that actively plays using mermen. One of my pet peeves is how they use the female term Mermaid for the gender neutral term Merfolk. The forums even mark a correct spelling as incorrect, as if the diversity of gender terminology with merfolk doesn't exist.

Aside from mostly playing male sims, I'm not bothered by playing female sims.

I think, as one of my college classes put it, we are one person wearing many different hats. To simply put, I identify the hats my female sims wear and play them around the identity that creates.

Like, Ember Zalrian is Cheerful and a Foodie. Ember is at home in the kitchen and enjoys good food. She's often happy, and as a Fire Elemental, she's got a fiery attitude. Her first spell she learned as a spellcaster was inferniate. She'll likely end up running a restaurant in Sulani or somewhere else.

Jade is Active and Adventurous. She likes sports and exploring. She has a habit of getting into trouble, and she often relies on her twin to bail her out. Juniper has saved her from death after she stood in the sun too long. Jade is a thrill seeking vampire.

This isn't too different from my male sims.

Dylan is Creative, Child of the Ocean, and Music Lover. Dylan likes almost every single radio station and enjoys playing any instrument. He's a DJ, an Artist, and a Musician. He's also a marine biologist. He's also a merman.

For all my sims, their traits, careers, likes, and dislikes are the hats they wear, and that's how I play them.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited November 2021
    Dude here.

I spend hours in CAS. I’m a huge appreciator of the human form regardless of gender. I love designing different characters for my stories.
    Having said that, I just discovered that judging by the content of my library I’ve created more female sims than male sims. Not entirely surprised there. I’ve always been an admirer of the human in female form …for reasons that I find extremely difficult to explain. (Not 😇).

However, I mostly play as a male sim. I’d like to think of them as unique characters, but I know that most of them are sort of an extension of me. Like myself, they drive me up the wall. The sims that I get “attached” too are usually the “secondary” characters, the females, the kids (if there are any) or even the animals. They’re what make my sim’s story interesting. The females give my stories colour. My dudes are just shadowy entities who experience the strange and fantastical world I created for them. I’d have to say that I don’t really get attached to any of my male sims, even if they are secondary characters.

Both females and males in my game are mod and CC beasts. They’ve got all the bits and pieces humans have.
    My live’s been full of females (it’s probably not what you think whatever you think) and I’ve had the honor to experience every mood swing and transformation due to moon cycles and femalenessness. It’s no wonder that I feel that werebeasts are missing in my game. That was a joke.

Anyway. I don’t use the kawaii thingie, I use THE mod of mods (for me at least) so I can experience the whole shebang. I’d like my sims to be as complete as possible in and out, top and bottom. That includes everything. They deserve it. If I can deal with it IRL I can deal with it in my game.😂

I have a ton of pretty dresses and pretty hairstyles for the lady sims too, I love creating strange, female aliens and merladies. I have outfits for my feisty warriors, for my tomboys, for my librarians and the list goes on and on.

For me The Sims = Action Man in Barbie Land. Hooray! 🥰
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2021
    For years, playing the Sims I was making them in CAS hoping that nobody was looking over my shoulder and commenting how ugly they were or how badly dressed. I'm over all that now, thanks to the games being single player and make my Sims any way I want and the sexes do as I want even though I've no idea how a man's mind works still, after many, many years! I gave up. I like my Sims with character and not too beautiful these days.

I suggest OP that you don't need to worry if you are doing anything right or wrong and just make your Sims as you want to and use any mods you want. Personally I wouldn't use one with a menstrual cycle having been so grateful that all that ended years ago for me. There's a reason it was called "the curse" when I was young.

Another reason for any Sims 5 to go Single player and not Online play I think.
  • Options
    ImagebearImagebear Posts: 46 Member
    edited November 2021
    I can relate. I'm doing CAS so my eye won't hurt when I playing the game. Same as building. Majority of my sims didn't have make up until I realized it. Because I find trouble in the build mode and CAS mode, I spend a lot of time just to make them look nice enough for me. In the end, I actually became a simmer who use equal among of time in build, CAS and live mode.
    I also kind of find SoL overwhelming. The sickness system is really cool! but I hope I can remove the skin care part.
    Post edited by Imagebear on
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I love playing female sims just as much as playing male sims. It's no secret, the game has so much more content for female sims so that's where I really let my creativity shine. I also am not one to stick to strict gender stereotypes in game but that's mostly to make sure my sims all feel different. I tend to play rotationally and always end up building extensive families so the real goal is to not constantly make the same female sim over and over in every household. Trying out different skills, careers, forcing myself to use traits I may not like, all make playing sims fun and unique in my opinion.

I've only installed that mod once and was instantly overwhelmed. I'm not much into mods anyway so I never experienced the menstrual cycle part of it before I quit. I imagine it does put more challenge into playing female sims so I can't speak to that but generally there's no real difference in a vanilla game.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I could play a stick character and there wouldn't be any differences in these Sims. Whether elder, adult, child, teen, or male or female or any other gender type. It really doesn't matter, it's all fluff with clothes people associate with the gender.

Your point of view is a good thing but we'll catch up to you sooner or later Cinebar

I don't understand. My point was this. Maxis has never made any differences in gender behaviors in twenty years. There are none in The Sims at all. I used to think females were more annoying as I have stated before (in older games) because they did things that seemed to specific to the female Sim rather than any traits. But Maxis assured us there were never any differences in behavior between the coded genders at the time. But I have always just played whomever I thought the Sim was in my head and the story I was telling myself. TS4 seems even less descriptive as they seem to be all clones of one another.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    To me a sim is a sim. Either type is equally fun and frustrating. I do tend to prefer lady sims - a. their AI is a bit smarter than male sim AI, b. they are cuter, c. the guy thing - I'd rather look at a gal than another guy, even when simming.
  • Options
    JFolcik009JFolcik009 Posts: 44 Member
    Male here and I don't have a problem with it. I think of it like a D&D game where I'm just putting characters into the gameworld to play them out.

That being said, I have my own specific self-sim who I identify as MY character so I don't feel like its a problem playing a female character.

Another thing I'd like to say that as we age I think we kind of care less about things that are associated with the other gender. I remember when I was younger it was weird to play a female character and some of my friends would even make jokes about it if they saw someone else playing a female character (and still do make jokes sometimes). I think as we spend more time in life figuring out who we are, becoming comfortable with ourselves, and maturing we just won't care about things like what gender our character is as much and enjoy the storyline they provide you. Ultimately, we're just telling a story.

Alternatively, here is a thought experiment for you, DarStep. If you were to write a story about a female character would you have trouble with this? Think of yourself as being an author or journalist where you'd have to describe them and then just apply that to the Sims. 🙂
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see this thread was just for guys. I'm not a guy, either.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited November 2021
    Never had a problem playing female Sims, I always make sure to make my big saves have an equal amount of male and female Sims and I play them equally as well.

I used to enjoy creating female Sims a lot more but lately I started to enjoy creating male Sims just as much.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    I just deal with it. I have no real sense of style when it comes to.....you know, clothes.....and hair. So I just choose what I think looks good on a woman and chuckle nervously when people online say "Oh god.....why would you dress her like that?!" and I just make up some excuse about how she's one of those people who purposely dresses in ugly clothes to make a fashion statement.
  • Options
    I could play a stick character and there wouldn't be any differences in these Sims. Whether elder, adult, child, teen, or male or female or any other gender type. It really doesn't matter, it's all fluff with clothes people associate with the gender.

Your point of view is a good thing but we'll catch up to you sooner or later Cinebar

I don't understand. My point was this. Maxis has never made any differences in gender behaviors in twenty years. There are none in The Sims at all. I used to think females were more annoying as I have stated before (in older games) because they did things that seemed to specific to the female Sim rather than any traits. But Maxis assured us there were never any differences in behavior between the coded genders at the time. But I have always just played whomever I thought the Sim was in my head and the story I was telling myself. TS4 seems even less descriptive as they seem to be all clones of one another.

my point was that i don't easily get used to having to change tampons and pads with a woman sim
  • Options
    JFolcik009 wrote: »
    Male here and I don't have a problem with it. I think of it like a D&D game where I'm just putting characters into the gameworld to play them out.

That being said, I have my own specific self-sim who I identify as MY character so I don't feel like its a problem playing a female character.

Another thing I'd like to say that as we age I think we kind of care less about things that are associated with the other gender. I remember when I was younger it was weird to play a female character and some of my friends would even make jokes about it if they saw someone else playing a female character (and still do make jokes sometimes). I think as we spend more time in life figuring out who we are, becoming comfortable with ourselves, and maturing we just won't care about things like what gender our character is as much and enjoy the storyline they provide you. Ultimately, we're just telling a story.

Alternatively, here is a thought experiment for you, DarStep. If you were to write a story about a female character would you have trouble with this? Think of yourself as being an author or journalist where you'd have to describe them and then just apply that to the Sims. 🙂

I mostly play a male sim in my game and playing a female from the start will be interesting
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member

my point was that i don't easily get used to having to change tampons and pads with a woman sim

I have a mod where I have the tampons/pads option if I wanted it, but I leave it unchecked==why deal with it? Your mod might also have an option to disable it
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I just deal with it. I have no real sense of style when it comes to.....you know, clothes.....and hair. So I just choose what I think looks good on a woman and chuckle nervously when people online say "Oh god.....why would you dress her like that?!" and I just make up some excuse about how she's one of those people who purposely dresses in ugly clothes to make a fashion statement.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Guy's if you are like me, it was difficult getting used to playing or controlling the female sim in my home. I had to set her wardrobe, set her hair, put on her make-up, change her earrings and stuff. And if you are a cc addict like me that means finding stuff for her to wear. And although I'd do the same for my male sim, it was not like the feeling I had of playing with a doll when I played the female sim. The male sim is me in surrogate form. To make matters worse, I had to down the Kawaii Stacie mod (every woman simmer has it), no name needed, where the female has a menstrual cycle. Now I'm buying tampons and tampex. I had to say in my head "I'm God, and she is my creation." in order to do for her as she should be done. Or I had to call myself the "Movie Director" to alleviate the feeling of playing the female sim. So I ask the fella's "How do guys feel playing/controlling the female sim?" Ladies you can chime in for effect if you like.

I play males and females and roleplay them with their own backstories, i got over 100 households and over 300 sims, a few are even children of different ages. I do have a few more female sims than male sims but i've managed to solve that issue mostly (i just need to add two brothers from the Brooks family template i never finished, and about another 3 or 4 male sims to create).

Just for the sake of the equality question though, i've finally managed to get a second male homosexual couple together recently (Sancho Carbonell and Gerard Tormen), but it's a surprising twist because this one teenager (Gerard) never knew he was attracted to guys until one boy his own age (Sancho) acted in such a provocative manner to turn his head, this took Gerard's eye off his sister and mother in a gross relationship he wanted. I also got female homosexual couples (Foster, Mckinley..) as well. I've also got one aromantic and asexual female sim (Jill Markowitz), if this game had a 4th trait she'd have the loner trait to go with her non-committal, unfilrty and kleptomaniac traits.

So i'm happy to play equally across the board, however i do have a weakness to playing one of my earliest female sims from back in 2019: Sandra Matthews. She's a loner, unflirty and creative. She knows what she wants and how to get at it and she does it without getting noticed and she is happy to have it that way. I make sure she remains unmarried but i give her some kids as a part of her master plan on doing everything herself and keeping control.

I got a male sim i play often, Tobias Lancaster. I've recently phased out sims that didn't belong to me and now Tobias has his eyes set on this girl called Shelly Vander, she has a strong passing resemblance to Summer Holiday, but not the same. He's a bodybuilder and a chatterbox with an element of being a jokester.
  • Options

My point is you have evolved to have no inhabition's playing a female sim as I have/had because of being raised to be the so-called "MAN". It's primarily a age thing.