Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Maxis-created city do you like best?

2...Next

Comments

• Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    JunkyPoem wrote: »
    One of the greatest expansions of the Sims 4.

My sims are there every single game: dining out on the rooftop, ooh-lala spa time, or trying to win at Humor & Hijinks.

Each neighborhood has its own flavor, enjoyable festivals, karaoke bars & amazing cityline views. There's a huge amount apartments to live in. And great build/buy items to renovate upscale, artistic or low budget spaces. Decent amount of community lots to enjoy or change up. Bought in 2016 & have hardly experienced any gameplay problems.

Slight downside is the stereotypical the appearances & of premade families & generated townie last names. Apartments also have huge building limitations. Cross pack issues: Seasons weather during outdoor festivals, Dine Out bugs out here like anywhere else & Eco Lifestyle NAP's, ughhh.

If you love cities, then you'll e njoy playing in this.

JunkyPoem. I live in the 2nd biggest city in the U.S. and I can tell you that apartment living is just that. "Apart from the home owners." Neighbors making too much noise is my problem with City Living as well as growing produce. San Mys has the Spice Festival where I leave Oasis Springs to get my vegetables for cooking and I grow them in my backyard. You can't grow vegetables in a apartment JP. My favorite neighborhood or world would be Oasis Springs because it has the tomato in the open garden by the Agave Abode house on the bottom right side of the world.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    Bridgeport (The Sims 3)
    I went with Bridgeport as that's the only City World I have played in; my all time favourite City or urban World is Starlight Shores
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    Windenburg (The Sims 4)
    I usually start new save files in Windenberg or Oasis Springs even if a mermaid
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    San Myshuno (The Sims 4)
    Downtown because I like the apartments and food stalls.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    San Myshuno (The Sims 4)
    If they game me another world like San Myshuno I would be so happy. I try to live other places but I almost always end up there.
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2021
    San Myshuno (The Sims 4)
    @Darstep0301
    Think we probably live in the same city but in different areas, haha. I always forget the garden in Oasis, thanks for the reminder.

Regarding my comment on premade family appearances & last names, come from the City living world description in fandom on sims wiki: "...heavily based on a variety of modern cities from around the world like Tokyo, San Francisco, and New York City, and also features elements of Indian, Chinese, Japanese and Moroccan culture... "

The city is supposed to be diverse, so to have only Indian & Japanese townie last names generate, seemed like an issue. Specifically, I was also upset by Lily Feng's everyday clothing & hair when the game first came out. Seemed very racially offensive.

But now in 2021, developers are focused on being inclusive & culturally respectful of their players. Especially after the Snowy Escape catastrophe.
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    edited November 2021
    Downtown (The Sims 2)
    @JunkyPoem Lily Feng's everyday clothing looks like a qipao. There is nothing wrong with a qipao as everyday wear, as that was used back in the early or middle 20th century, and women did wear the qipao as everyday wear. However, Lily Feng's own qipao should be more modest like the base game Sims 2 version, as opposed to what she currently wears in the Sims 4. Considering her career, it would make sense to dress more modestly and professional... unless her business is really running a brothel. Right now, she wears a very revealing and sexualized version of the qipao. Meanwhile, her husband just wears a Western suit. But, my personal favorite Chinese-style garment would be the Hanfu from Sims 3 World Adventures. It's the loose and comfy one. It looks like Ming Dynasty wear. If EA had converted that Sims 3 Chinese outfit or the Sims 2 Chinese outfit, then I would probably set it as Formal and let Casual wear be a standard Western outfit, matching her husband. Yeah... she really plays on the Dragon Lady stereotype.

Though, what do I expect from a video game publisher based in America?

In The Sims 2, Takemizu Village is inspired by Japan, and apparently, you can order just a bowl of rice from the vendors. Just a plain bowl of rice. No veggies. No meat. No soup. And the object doesn't really look like rice porridge either. It's literally a bowl of bland rice. The entire subneighborhood is a caricature of Sinosphere.

In The Sims 3, China is inspired by the real-world China, and apparently, the EA staff has just made all the people in the sub-world have Asian names with various different romanizations, from various different countries. There is even a Yat Sen family, taken from Sun Yat-sen, but in Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese/Hungarian societies, the surname is before the given name, and this name order is largely because of grammar. Again, the entire sub-world is a caricature of the Sinosphere.

When it comes to Mount Komorebi, I just see it as a caricature of Japan, because this is meant to be a goofy life simulation game centered on the Western experience.

I personally think that EA's emphasis on diversity in The Sims is for better public relations with customers and for winning brownie points with the mainstream American culture, and this can be somewhat problematic as the customers (especially ethnic minority ones) can raise too much expectation. The basic assumption is that the West is the champion of all cultures, allowing everyone to live peacefully with each other, and Western civilization is very international and cosmopolitan. Well, duh. It's only made international and cosmopolitan because of the expanse of the British Empire and other European colonial empires. Personally, I think this assumption is necessary for America to make the new immigrants and ethnic minorities happy and at peace, and the last thing any country wants is to cause social unrest. This assumption can be disastrous for a country that is in the process of nation-building, as in the case of Afghanistan. When a country is in the process of nation-building, it needs to have a strong national identity to bind the people together. Regardless of what the US mass media says about the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, I am confident that it will find a way to govern the people of Afghanistan.
    Post edited by waterywatermelon on
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    Downtown (The Sims)
    I like the fact that you can build houses downtown in The Sims 2, but The Sims 1 Downtown looks good aesthetically.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    San Myshuno (The Sims 4)
    San Myshuno is the first time that I feel my sims are living in a big city.
    The low-res people, the animated vehicles, the landscape, … it's everything that I requested.

• MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 371 Member
    Bridgeport (The Sims 3)
    This might be my bias speaking here since I don't have the other games and can't play those cities, but I like Bridgeport the most. It really looks like an actual city complete with all the public transit, numerous pigeons, food trucks, and all the nice big houses in their own separate section away from cheap apartments and housing.
  • pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 540 Member
    Roaring Heights (The Sims 3)
    Way too hard of a question! I love all of them...except for the TS4 towns...I don't play them. I wish I could play TS1 again on my current computer. My current obsession is TS3 and all of it's towns that I currently have downloaded.
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p