Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Create Your Sims?

Amj1995Amj1995 Posts: 4,068 Member
Base Sim - A model sim you've created for every sim you create, slightly changing facial features. Including EA premade model facial features etc.

Scratch - A randomized sim, you change the facial features completely.
Post edited by Amj1995 on

How Do You Create Your Sims? 115 votes

Base Sim / Model Sim
19% 22 votes
Scratch / Randomized Sim
80% 93 votes

Comments

• ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Most of my CAS sims are edited townies—I'll take some random slappy off the street and give them a completely new look. New face, new hair, new body type, new name, whole nine yards. The ones with good traits often get married off to my born-in-game sims; the kleptos and meanies and assorted other undesirables get either killed by some suitably awful means or just left in permanent limbo in the world, never to be known or loved. Under the circumstances, the dead ones probably met the less depressing fate.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    edited October 2021
    I literally pick the first one that comes up in CAS, because I know I'll be changing everything about them anyways
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited October 2021
    I randomise a sim until I get a face I like, then I tweak features, dress and style them. I would give them a build appropriate to their lifestyle/traits (Lazy sims would be a bit plumper/less toned vs Active sims for example).

Their clothes and hair I also base on their personality and hobbies (band shirts for Music Lovers, athleisure for Active sims, high fashion for Materialistic sims or Snobs etc).

I generally give them one outfit per category and make them buy additional ones via retail.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Whatever sim comes up in CAS, I twitch lightly, skin colour, some preset features that would look better, some nice hair and clothes, and they are good to go. I don't spend ages designing sims.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I learned up front that in order to maximize your success in creating a Sim in CAS, it was advised we select a head that mostly had the shape of the face we desired and go from there. This is what I do, so it's mostly from scratch, so to speak, but it does depend on the already created heads they give us to choose from.

So, a little of Column A and a little of Column B, if you will.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member
    Neither. I randomize a few times until I find one that's sort of close, then tweak from there.
    I used to start from the first sim that came up in CAS until I figured out that the first one isn't random, it's one of a small group of Maxis models.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I will usually select one of the model faces and then change things on it. Lately, I've been randomizing the Sim though and taking whatever the generator gives me.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    In this save, I’m playing more premades than usual. But in previous games I have started with a character already in mind. I randomize in CAS until I get a Sim that’s close, then tweak until it matches my vision. For the main characters, I fill up their clothing tabs with their personal style, and try to keep it exclusive to them. Secondary characters get 3 outfits in each major category.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    It varies. Sometimes I make entirely new sims from scratch, or at least as much "from scratch" as one can within the limits of the game. :tongue: Other times I use one of several favorites I've made and saved in the past as a starting point, and then alter them in some way(s) while I'm still in CAS. The only times I ever use a completely random or otherwise unaltered sim are for test purposes.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited October 2021
    Well I don't often make sims in cas
    (usually they're children of pre existing sims that i dont edit other than fashion + I play premades a lot)

but when I do make sim i usually randomize until i get somewhere close to overall face shape I'm thinking about and then adjust via the templates and dragging and such
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I usually edit a randomised Sim, but I have a couple faces in my library now that I particularly like, so I've been using them a lot. I change the clothes and personalities to fit the story I have in mind, and I'm done.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    I have some neutral base sims models I made, and each time I create a new sim, I start with one of those bases, and then I slightly modify it or change it completely
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited October 2021
    I often use a randomized sim, but I don't edit their faces heavily. I'm just not very interested in detailed face editing. I've never done a model sim, but I use the premade EA faces sometimes. Most of my sims are born in game though, so I don't even make that many sims. For the sims born in game I try not to "fix" anything, but there have been a few cases where I've given them bigger eyes or something.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I just hit randomize until I get interesting features that I think I can work with and then modify them to suit my needs. Sometimes to make them "More attractive" sometimes to make them "less attractive" Sometimes just because I have something specific in mind but they're always fairly random.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    I use a random sim.

Not only that - I have a gender in mind, and I will keep hitting to get a new sim until it gives me one of the right gender, and then start messing with that sim.

That noted there's a third method that I use even more, that you don't list: Grab a townie and customize.

Most of my played sims began as random townies that needed to be fixed...

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I have only started new saves from CAS, I don't play townies. I will either randomize sims until there's one that's not nauseating, or take a favorite out of my library and re-tweak them. Once in awhile I will start from "scratch" and make them my own.

When I tweak townies, I do not use cc on them, nor do I change their bodies unless there's a sim who is at the top of the weight scale. I can take chunky but morbidly obese is not acceptable in my game...sorry, biasness here. (Of course, neither is anorexia.) Usually I only give them EA hair, makeup and clothes, and that can be a 75% improvement.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Both. I have set characters I switch up, but I also don't like using the same faces for completely unrelated characters. So I do randomize a fair bit, too.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I usually randomize until I find a sim I think fits what I have in my head, and go from there.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    I don't. My Sims possess me until they manifest themselves in game. Help me.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I take what CAS gives me and tweak until they are to my exact preferences. In Sims 2 this can take a few minutes since there's less to work with since I don't use CC. When I felt like firing up Sims 4, this could take up to an hour because I have so many packs to use for customization. This is pretty much all I do in Sims 4. By the time I'm done, I don't feel like doing anything else LOL
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I flip the randomizer until I get something that grabs me, and fine-tune & style from there.
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    All of my sims are ethnically specific (black), so I have to start from scratch the eyes, nose, mouth, hair styles, and clothing. Then I create a sim that meets those requirements.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I used to select the pre-made facial archetypes and edit from there, but I found that I would often revert to creating same face sims.

These days, I'll always use the randomize button until I get one feature that I like, and work from there. I also use Zerbu's Face & Body Presets which helps me to create unique looking sims.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I randomise the entire sim in CAS until I see one I quite like the look of already and then work on them until they're exactly to my taste, like a few other posters here. I have fallen into the trap of my sims looking quite similar alot of the time though, so I need to shake things up a bit, lol.