Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use the gender-specific doors ?

Comments

• Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Yes
    I put yes but I really needed a "huh, OK" answer in there.

I have used them before, but wasn't even aware they did anything. I just put them down because visually they made sense in the spot I put them.

I'd actually been coupling this was a mod to not allow sims of certain types to pass, which I guess it now looks like I don't need to keep using.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    No
    I use to, but it ended up being more of a hassle than it was worth. Sims are pretty good about not walking in on each other when taking care of their personal business, about 98 percent of the time.
  • Options
    Yes
    Sims are pretty good about not walking in on each other when taking care of their personal business, about 98 percent of the time.

In my typical play of any public building:

A huge nightclub, restaurant, lounge, or something stacked with activities to do... and then 11 sims all hanging out in a "3-square" bathroom chatting...

I'm like... come on people, the toilet can't be that fun to stand around...

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    No
    I have used them in older builds, but now I use the unisex ones. It's just easier during game play.
  • Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    Yes
    Gender-specific doors are an easy way for me to make gender-specific rooms, and that may be public washrooms or recreational rooms for specific genders. I may have a girls-only hangout club or a boys-only hangout club, and only Sims of a specific gender can enter.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited October 2021
    Yes
    I use them for changing rooms, but for toilets I tend to go unisex/gender neutral and use toilet stalls or cubicles.

I could see them being useful in dorms or religious buildings too, if you wanted to segregate areas by gender.

We need a traditional variation of the doors though. Currently both designs are modern.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Yes
    With the qualifier of what is the RL usage situation.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited October 2021
    Yes
    To be a bit more realistic, unless it only has one toilet in the room, call me old fashioned but I still believe men and women should have their privacy from each other ๐Ÿ˜‚

Edit: I've accidentally walked in the male public toilet once lol, saw a guy peeing on one of them things on the wall (can't remember the name of it) ๐Ÿ˜‚ , we were both mortified, I know genders are more complex those days but yip people that identify themselves as a gender still want their privacy from each other
  • Options
    Yes
    Jyotai wrote: ยป
    I put yes but I really needed a "huh, OK" answer in there.

I have used them before, but wasn't even aware they did anything. I just put them down because visually they made sense in the spot I put them.

I put gender specific doors into a build last night, and then was able to walk the same sim into and out of both rooms that had those doors.

So they don't seem to actually do anything, and I guess I still need the mod to handle this.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    No
    @Jyotai hmm in my game if a bathroom has a gender-specific door on it and a sim tries to use the toilet behind the "wrong" door, they do the "can't get there" motion and it cancels.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    No
    Not anymore. It's easier for gameplay to use a regular door or the gender-neutral door.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    No
    Not only do I not set up single-gender bathrooms, I remove the single-gender doors and replace them with "everyone" doors wherever I can because seeing so much wasted space in a building like the Narwhal Arms, dedicated to that, is irritating when all you need is an 'everyone' door and stalls. Then I turn the other, unnecessary bathroom into something fun like a club room.
    I typically use unisex, but sometimes the context of the build makes sense.

I was trying to build a gay bar to recruit potential boyfriends for my sim, so I used the men's door as the front door. It didn't work. Only women showed up, and had a dance party outside. My gay sim is still single.

OMG that is so close to real life it's hilarious. What about the King's Door and Queen's Door, have you tried those, or are the just bathroom doors by another name and thus wouldn't work any better than other bathroom doors at your purpose? The VIP door might be an option if you can set entry parameters as something aside from fame level, haven't tried that so I don't know.

The LGBT Mod allows you to set orientation and/or gender identity for sims (even ones you're not playing) in gameplay, so you could get the mod, make a club, invite the sims you desire, convene, set their sexuality to gay (or bi, pan, or whatever you want) and then when you have enough points, get a club door just for them, and place it in a venue, probably in one room as I doubt it will work as the front door but who knows, give that a try. Your only trouble will be being limited to a max membership of 7. But if it's set a bar or club that has all kinds of people in it too (except in your private club room), that's true to life as well. All sorts of people go into gay bars aside from gay men, but whether that's a good thing or bad thing is a matter of debate.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Yes
    I do. And I have to admit that, in order to differentiate between them with the cut out walls, I tend to make men's toilets blue and ladies pink ๐Ÿค—
  • Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Sweet cheese, I will now that I know they do that! My public restrooms are a mess
    XD
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    No
    I just noticed that I used a gender-neutral door in a domestic build - but more as a marker so guests could identify the powder-room (not that sims have difficulty intuiting toilet locations - but more as an "in game" signal).
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Yes
    I'll use either separate bathrooms or unisex, depending on the build.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited November 2021
    Yes
    Since the majority of real life houses don't differentiate between genders, neither do the ones in my game either.

Edit: Voted wrong option but whatever.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Yes
    All the time but I've never noticed any problems with my Sims unable to get to them. I use the unisex doors if there is just one bathroom at the venue like a small coffee shop. For larger venues I like to make the women's bathroom super feminine pink with flowers and spa like amenities and I realize this is just totally not fair lol ...
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Yes
    I'm currently playing a save with a tribal culture where the gender roles are very separate, so I use these to set aside rooms in the residence where only the males can go or where only the females can go.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited December 2021
    Yes
    Yes I use them but it depends on the build.
    If Iโ€™m building old fashioned buildings I will. Also in gyms I use them.

More modern community lots I just use wood or glass doors. Also if Iโ€™m building on a small lot having separate bathrooms just takes up much needed space!
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! ๐Ÿ˜Šโ˜•๏ธ๐ŸŒž
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Only for eccentric sims who segregate their homes. It's party time! No men in the dining room! They can wait in the pantry with the dustbins.
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    Oh, or a man cave full of joys and toys and fireplaces. The father of the family has a bar in there, and all the house's best equipment and comfiest chairs for him and his buds. This leads to friction, and if some day there happens to be a fire, the women will be quite unable to enter and plead with the reaper.

Inevitable tragedy.

Truly, the gender doors' best uses are all non-bathroom-related.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    No
    I don't like having to put all walls up just to tell my sim to do something in the restroom. Yes they will go to the right one if they choose for themselves, but it's just easier for me to have single stall unisex restrooms in the majority of my public lots.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    No
    While I have no problem against gendered doors, I'm often playing in a visual mode where its hard to see the sign right away so I often send my sim to the wrong door and that is annoying. So out of laziness/convenience, I prefer gender neutral but am not against implemented gendered bathrooms.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    No
    I play with walls down so using it or not wouldn't matter at all. Also, most of my sims are fairly gender fluid so it'd be rather hard to put the right doors in at any rate.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.