Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scenarios Coming To Base Game

Comments

• SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    To be honest that scenarios look like PS trophies for TS4 so for me it's nothing new: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6920-the-sims-4

Rosebud
    Gain 1,000,000 Simoleons in a single Household.

I think that below trophies can also be a scenario:

The Most Interesting Sim in the World
    Have a Sim with 12 or more Traits.

Over-Achiever
    Have a Sim complete 5 Aspirations.

My, You've Changed!
    Have a Sim become both max thin and fat within a lifetime.

Legacy Player
    Play a household for ten generations or more.

Hello, Darkness, My Old Chum
    Have a Sim befriend the Grim Reaper.

Ghost Family
    Have a family of 8 playable Ghosts.

Black Widow
    Have a Sim outlive five spouses.

Alphabet Legacy
    Play a household for 26 generations or more.

The Circle of Life
    Play a Sim from birth to natural death.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited October 2021
    I believe a lot of Simmers get stuck in their same old ruts of doing things just one way every time to get to their goals.

If these new scenarios take Simmers out of their ruts and get them to look at the game in a different way, and use some of the other commands that are there to be used they might be quite useful. I am thinking of a speech by one of the past makers of the game who showed the depth the game could get to. Maybe Maxis might be working this way with Sims 4?

It might even be enjoyable to do a murder or solve it, (a la Christie) this way. if they give it more depth.

I'm hoping so anyway. You never know, do you?
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    edited October 2021
    On the one hand, I think it's great on paper that they're adding UI elements that enforce a challenge's rules and do all the keeping track in the actual simulation...

...on the other hand, I'm not sure it's a particularly good use of the devs' time, since the kinds of players who do this are already pretty gung-ho about it and the people who couldn't care less about challenges—say, they're telling their own story and making up their own constraints completely on the fly—aren't going to be the target audience here.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited October 2021
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    oh and also i just noticed replaying it that they said something about scenarios could be limited for certain time

and if thats doing again the whole plantsim challenge thing where none of it can be done anymore if you werent there when the challenge was around... please don't do that with this.

I hate it when games have time limited thingies cause that just means everyone doesn't get to play it and why if the content exists let people use it TT

Giving it a second thought I have a feeling that's exactly what they are created for. Nobody seem to pair it with new Sims Delivery Express introduced but I think these are created to work together.
    From the description of SDX:
    "All content that is released through this new method will be FREE content, and unless it is something that is “limited time” in nature, they will eventually add the items into the game in future updates."
    we can assume it will be used to deliver time-limited items. When could you get those? My best guess is during time-limited scenarios. Quoting again:
    SimGuruDuck confirmed that scenarios released with future updates will be placed in the game forever, but others that may appear in game for a limited time. It has been confirmed that soon after launch Maxis will release TWO limited time only Scenarios called “Too Many Toddlers” and “Perfectly Well Rounded”.

The fact that this "big" feature is starting with only two scenarios with no involving rewards makes me think that the main purpose of scenarios is not to be in game forever but to be mostly time-limited providing some player-base involvement not 'cause the game is fun to play but 'cause the clock is ticking and exclusive items are awaiting. Also preparing player base for more online features. We all know current Sims management is seeing this as a main direction for the game. So Kits and now Scenarios + SDX are all moving us in this "mobile-like" development.

well if they doing that they can pretty much count on me to drop whole game cause ive dropped multiple mobile games for always feeling the stupid fomo and just deciding to not play at all cause it isnt worth it to play when youre not feeling like playing and it just makes everything feel forced
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2021
    @kaiwrysims

Scenarios is just renamed term to provide the illusion of something new, when 20+ yr simmers like myself know better.

So happy with Spa Day refresh!
    So happy with calendars in BG (share the luv, I say)

But...
    R2R technically should have been a refreshed Aspiration, not a re-routed single player Scenario that might not patch in with other game files.

Resources should have been allocated in a better direction. As is, current mechanics can barely be maintained. Mods should provide additional in-game entertainment. Not a dire necessity for REPAIR of a PURCHASED game when developers are aware, but not proactive. It's a very EXPENSIVE game too, when you've been consistently buying packs all these years.

Part of the reason, the community is so bitter.

Our concern is not about aesthetics, but performance. We're gamers.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    It’s just, judging from the previews, those scenarios seem pretty basic. I feel like I wouldn’t use this feature.

Like if this feature allowed me to put in my own scenarios and tailor them to my overall plot I’d totally be down.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    Scenarios is wrong , it's an Italian word, the right word is Scenarii (Apple developers taught me that)

One scenario, several scenarii.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scenarii

As an Italian, scenarii is wrong. The plural of scenario, in Italian, is scenari, with just one "i". But scenarios is the plural of scenario in English. Scenarii is more the plural form of the Latin word "scenarius".
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I'm not saying this is a horrible idea. It might be an interesting way for new simmers to start a game challenge. But for me, I would rather play along with an already established community challenge or make up my own entirely. Either of these allow for more creativity than a game made scenario. I wish they had worked on an attraction system instead. Or werewolves. Or babies. Not something I can already do on my own.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    oh and also i just noticed replaying it that they said something about scenarios could be limited for certain time

and if thats doing again the whole plantsim challenge thing where none of it can be done anymore if you werent there when the challenge was around... please don't do that with this.

I hate it when games have time limited thingies cause that just means everyone doesn't get to play it and why if the content exists let people use it TT

Giving it a second thought I have a feeling that's exactly what they are created for. Nobody seem to pair it with new Sims Delivery Express introduced but I think these are created to work together.
    "All content that is released through this new method will be FREE content, and unless it is something that is “limited time” in nature, they will eventually add the items into the game in future updates."
    we can assume it will be used to deliver time-limited items. When could you get those? My best guess is during time-limited scenarios. Quoting again:
    SimGuruDuck confirmed that scenarios released with future updates will be placed in the game forever, but others that may appear in game for a limited time. It has been confirmed that soon after launch Maxis will release TWO limited time only Scenarios called “Too Many Toddlers” and “Perfectly Well Rounded”.

The fact that this "big" feature is starting with only two scenarios with no involving rewards makes me think that the main purpose of scenarios is not to be in game forever but to be mostly time-limited providing some player-base involvement not 'cause the game is fun to play but 'cause the clock is ticking and exclusive items are awaiting. Also preparing player base for more online features. We all know current Sims management is seeing this as a main direction for the game. So Kits and now Scenarios + SDX are all moving us in this "mobile-like" development.
    That’s a really interesting take on it. If this is the big picture, why not explain how these two features are connected? I think people could get excited about it if they knew they could win a free item. Then again, other people could be annoyed if completing a scenario was the only way to get said item.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Well, this has absolutely no appeal to my simming style, I play rotationally and will definitely never use Scenarios no matter what they are. Subject is actually not interesting enough to make me spend my minutes on reading this entire thread. It could have been a thing if Scenarios were implemented with the whims feature, and Whims beiing updated/improved like many of us have been asking for since forever. Using whims could also trigger a suggested and random Scenario based on what whims we already fulfilled, then we could lock or decline the suggested Scenario, like we would with Whims. If locked whims are saved per household even when playing rotationally, it could work for many more simmers.

A wasted oportunity, I'd say. But maybe there is more to Scebarios than we know at this point, and maybe many simmers actually want such a feature. I never needed the game to suggest my goals for my sims, though - there are so many routes to go already, more than I can ever play through.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    I'm glad most simmers seem to be in agreement about these "scenarios". Just like usual they're giving us more flavor text with zero added gameplay. It's what I've come to expect from them at this point. Except this is even worse somehow, since they're just repackaging community challenges and making a big fuss about it like it's something new and special and creative on their part. And it's only coming with TWO scenarios?? I never believe them now when they say they'll "add more later" because they've already proven they just drop things instead. Whims, likes/dislikes, lifestyles, holiday activities.

You know what I can do that is basically just as functional as these scenarios? Write my goal on a little post it note and stick it to the top of my computer screen. Bam, done.

This game already has achievements. These scenarios are next to pointless and a waste of time and resources. Is this really what they thought we meant when we said we wanted more challenge? These are so lacking in difficulty they couldn't even call them challenges. The sims economy is a mess and you can romance and marry a new sim after a breakup in one sim day. What a joke. Do they even play their own game or what?

I also fear that they'll start using these scenarios+drops as FOMO to get people playing not because they're having fun, but because they want the items. It'll artificially inflate active player time without actually adding any new substantial gameplay. And it'll be a step towards a more mobile style of playing and it makes me nervous for the future of this franchise.

I'm so glad I've been playing more TS3. It's so much easier to waste full days with that game. No more getting bored after 20 minutes. And it's actually challenging and rewarding as opposed to TS4.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    After thinking about it and reading comments I think this scenarios thing would have been much more appealing to everyone if they started with two complex creative scenarios. Challenges the community never had before. Similar to strangerville story. I think starting out with the two most basic ones that everyone has done for years was the not so good idea.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 88 Member
    At first I thought it was going to be like the chance cards in Sims 2 but meh. I've played rags to riches challenges and I don't really need the help.

My main concern is they always say "we can/will add more later" and never do. Sentiments, lifestyles, etc. We have yet to get more of those. And sentiments could really help add challenges to the game.
    They always promise more at a later time and then just forget about it. So I'm betting we get these 2 (? I didn't really pay attention) and never hear about them again.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    You know what I can do that is basically just as functional as these scenarios? Write my goal on a little post it note and stick it to the top of my computer screen. Bam, done.

Oh!
    That's neat
    could even change post it colors and shapes and styles for different challenges :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Echo17121 wrote: »
    My main concern is they always say "we can/will add more later" and never do. Sentiments, lifestyles, etc. We have yet to get more of those. And sentiments could really help add challenges to the game.
    They always promise more at a later time and then just forget about it. So I'm betting we get these 2 (? I didn't really pay attention) and never hear about them again.
    They said we'll get limited-time scenarios. I suspect they'll do a few of those before they go the way of challenges.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member

well if they doing that they can pretty much count on me to drop whole game cause ive dropped multiple mobile games for always feeling the stupid fomo and just deciding to not play at all cause it isnt worth it to play when youre not feeling like playing and it just makes everything feel forced

I feel the same way. It reminds me of the Sims Social on facebook years ago. I'm sad to say that was my first Sims experience. I quit playing after a while though because of the grinding to complete a quest to get an item. It just wasn't fun. I've been wanting to return to the Sims 3 all summer. This might just give me the push to do so.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

Oh!
    That's neat
    could even change post it colors and shapes and styles for different challenges :lol:

That’s some innovative UX/ UI design right there. How about adding some Blu Tack into the mix?
    For every scenario completed you could stick a little reward onto it for yourself. A biscuit. A dollar. You name it, your choice.
    At the end of the week you could collect all your rewards and eat them. Or spend them. Or whatever you prefer.

Now here’s the rule: You will have to stick the blu tack directly onto your computer screen, meaning that the more scenarios you complete, the more blu tack and stuff you’ll need, the more challenging it will get…to play the game and see what you’re actually doing.
    It’d be so lousy if you only had a tiny laptop screen..but also hilarious. 😋
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »

@SimGuruDan:

Would you very kindly pass on our feedback to the team that we do NOT want more scenarios being added.? After reading this thread, I can safely state that I'm speaking for the majority of Sim players here.

Pretty please, don't waste any more ressources on this feature. Thank you.

Please do not include me in this feedback. It's far too early to judge.

• AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Here’s a cool scenario with two different possible outcomes:
    1. Guy comes home from work.
    2. Guy strolls into living room and lo and behold! finds two little bottles -unlabeled- containing a liquid. One blue, one red.
    3. If he chooses to drink from one bottle our guy will be able to grow body hair. Human dude style.
    4. If he chooses to drink from the other bottle our guy will become a werewolf.

Now, I’d be happy with either outcome so I’ll be playing this particular scenario twice. Nice one.
    Next!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Never mind, Simburian, I didn't write I'd be speaking for everyone.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited October 2021
    If they don't expand on the Scenarios, then yes, they're going to be bad. Requesting that they not add more when they haven't even seen the actual (not forum/twittersphere/reddit) reaction to the feature is kinda setting them up to fail.

(And there's enough overlap in on-line groups that I'm still confident in saying that the naysayers may have a plurality, but are not actually a majority of the *total* player base of The Sims.)

Of the current four we know about, two aren't the sort of scenarios I'm interested in exploring, one I've explored before (though again, I've never actually had one million in reserve in one generation. I might have earned one million over all in one generation, but I would need the game to tell me that - oh, look, it will) and the last one... we don't know enough about yet, but I'm expecting some sort of skill challenge.

I need at least two more that aren't kid care/romance oriented to judge them properly.

I mean, I don't need this feature. I have plenty of my own stories to tell, my own scenarios to spin. But ... they might present a scenario I hadn't thought about that I'd find interesting. Give me a new way to look at a particular aspect of the game.

So if you want to judge them now, that's your prerogative. I don't want my chance to judge them fairly cut off because someone doesn't like the idea. I mean, I can always choose to not use it.
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    bixters wrote: »
    This past summer, we had an entire forum thread asking players how to make the game more challenging. There were some amazing, thoughtful and polite responses from the community.
    I am just baffled that after reading through all those replies, this was all the Sims team could come up with...

I can't imagine how they read through hundreds of replies from players telling them how to make the game more challenging, and this is all they could come up with.

That thread was only two months ago. Hundreds of posts with walls of text take time to go through and discuss, probably weeks before they even figure out which suggestions they could/would use, .

The thread was only 2 months ago but those same ideas and complaints have been here and asked for for years. There are hundreds of threads, petitions, tweets, comments, asking for the same things. Besides, majority of the themes asked for were present in the previous games, its not like it was breaking new territory. If it aint broke dont fix it??

Yes, but I think you missed my point.

The thread that was referenced in my post was actually requested by the developers, for the purpose of actually reading the whole thing and absorbing the feedback. It zeroed in on a specific purpose which is how to make the game more challenging, and while there are no concrete promises, it is reasonable to expect that some kind of new game development or tweaking will come as a result. The person I responded to was also referencing that post with the implication that they expected to see those changes already, and seemed to think this update is a direct result. I was merely pointing out that it doesn't happen that quickly and that these updates are unrelated to that thread. Hopefully we will see some good changes coming down the line. Hopefully.

Back on topic...

As for the"Scenarios" feature, I just don't see the use in it. It just seems like more guidance in the game, telling us how to play, which we already have in excess. It's more like story suggestions than anything, and it doesn't even effect existing households that I'm already invested in. I don't think I'd use it because I like to play my own way with less predictability.

It kind of seems like developers are trying to reinvent the wheel sometimes.
    #Team Occult
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2021
    83bienchen wrote: »

@EA_Cade:

Would you very kindly pass on our feedback to the team that we do NOT want more scenarios being added.? After reading this thread, I can safely state that I'm speaking for the majority of Sim players here.

Pretty please, don't waste any more ressources on this feature. Thank you.

edited because I accidentally tagged the wrong Sim Guru.

Pretty bold statement 😅 this forum does not speak for all Sim players. Imagine all the dissapointed simmers who would actually enjoy this. I think we just need more complex new and interesting challenges. I'd be willing to try a few. But they rarely add anything for more weird/complex/consequential or divient play. (Did I spell that right?😆 seems wrong....)
    I made the most awesomeest evil Halloween vampires but they have nothing.. evilish 😈 to do. They are carving pumpkins 😅
    The most I can hope for is zombies in an eventual (is that a word?🤔) apocalyptic pack.
    I feel like they never want to leave the boring safe zone. Probably for good reason (like outraged simmers🙄)
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(