Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SDX (New Delivery March 24) Tattoos And More

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member

Sims Delivery Express (SDX) will be a system that will deliver free content to your Base Game as a complimentary, and a little bit more spontaneous sibiling than our regular Game Updates. You won’t need to do a full Patch to get content through this system. Hopefully it’s a seamless companion to our Game Updates.

A Sim Delivery could be a Build Mode asset, or a Create A Sim asset. It can be a clothing, a hair, an accessory or a combination of those. It can be something in Build Mode or a couple of things in Build Mode. It could be tiny little fixes that don’t need a Base Game update to apply to your game. Something that’s not complex so that we can potentially get them in your game that way.

We are super excited to be bringing these type of content to The Sims 4 Base Game and beyond. We have so much going on and so much planned for The Sims 4. Keep an eye out for our updates because stuff is happening…

More here:
https://simscommunity.info/2021/10/26/the-sims-team-introduces-sims-delivery-express-a-new-update-type-for-the-sims-4/
Post edited by simgirl1010 on

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited October 2021
    It's a new DRM system.

Actually promo items (Family Portrait, TS Mobile promo) and preorder bonus are included in the basegame for everybody (locked or unlocked)

SDX will limit the access to the content, only the players who unlocked it will be able to download it. EA choose the target.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    It’s going to be really annoying if any of the “fixes” break mods.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It's a new DRM system.

That is what I was worried about. It seemed odd to add something new like this unless there was something wrong with the old system.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    I'm just confused tbh

like okay in a way if this means faster fixes to mini bugs sure thats neat

but i surely hope every single item they put out through this is available even if you're not using the whatever SDX thing at certain times cause dear watcher no to the time limited exclusivity nonsense
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I could be wrong but this new delivery system seems like an excuse for them not to do regular patches with full patch notes and proper bug fixes. Speaking of bug fixes, we don't seem to be getting any major ones soon. I guess the Dream Home Decorator career will remain broken for the foreseeable future.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    It could be because some people don't like to add all the freebies from the updates, like all those latest swatches...
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    It could be because some people don't like to add all the freebies from the updates, like all those latest swatches...

But it would have to be opt out then, right? Is this opt out?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    texxx78 wrote: »

But it would have to be opt out then, right? Is this opt out?

Not sure... i don't understand it well yet...
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Obviously we'll just have to wait and see how this works out, but this line in the description worries me a little: "Hopefully it’s a seamless companion to our Game Updates." Yeah, hopefully.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I could be wrong but this new delivery system seems like an excuse for them not to do regular patches with full patch notes and proper bug fixes. Speaking of bug fixes, we don't seem to be getting any major ones soon. I guess the Dream Home Decorator career will remain broken for the foreseeable future.

Or, it allows the patches to now solely focus on bug fixes and stabilizing the game without having to focus on free content as well.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I think it's more about releasing content more frequently instead of waiting to patch it in and then less people being upset abt broken mods and stuff.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I think it's more about releasing content more frequently instead of waiting to patch it in and then less people being upset abt broken mods and stuff.

I think more people will be upset about broken mods if random updates appear at random times instead of once a month... It can potentially cause a lot of issues with mods. I'm not understanding why they decided to do this.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited October 2021
    I can see this not working out too well. They'll release a few CAS or BB items, and everyone's games will be unplayable for a month.
    I am being pessimistic, but I just don't trust EA or Maxis enough to handle this well.

And is anyone else getting a whiff of Loot boxes from the title and cover art? Something seems questionable..
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    haneul wrote: »

I think more people will be upset about broken mods if random updates appear at random times instead of once a month... It can potentially cause a lot of issues with mods.
    I'm not understanding why they decided to do this.

Exactly, how can they guarantee these updates won't break mods or CC? Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems like a very bold claim for them to make.
    bixters wrote: »

I think more people will be upset about broken mods if random updates appear at random times instead of once a month... It can potentially cause a lot of issues with mods.

Exactly, how can they guarantee these updates won't break mods or CC? Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems like a very bold claim for them to make.

Because it's not a patch, it doesn't change any code
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I'm hoping we can opt out of this new system because I don't see this going too well.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member

I could be entirely wrong, but what I'm gathering about this is that it's no different than when you download CC, or a piece of CC that would fix something you already had downloaded. Except it's directly from EA. Usually, clothes and build/buy objects that don't provide any functionality that isn't already in the game should, in theory, not cause any mods or unrelated CC to break. Adding swatches to pre-existing items, adding items with new functionality, and adding anything that would directly alter any line of coding any mod uses is what would cause incompatibility issues.

If it's all just CAS and Build Mode items, I don't see it being too risky in terms of mods and CC. However, whether or not this is the best idea..? Different story entirely. I will wait and see before having any opinion about this system, currently it has potential to be great. Or horrible. We'll see! :lol:
  • ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    That means from now on...
    Bug fixes = patches
    Free items = SDX

??
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

I could be entirely wrong, but what I'm gathering about this is that it's no different than when you download CC, or a piece of CC that would fix something you already had downloaded. Except it's directly from EA. Usually, clothes and build/buy objects that don't provide any functionality that isn't already in the game should, in theory, not cause any mods or unrelated CC to break. Adding swatches to pre-existing items, adding items with new functionality, and adding anything that would directly alter any line of coding any mod uses is what would cause incompatibility issues.

If it's all just CAS and Build Mode items, I don't see it being too risky in terms of mods and CC. However, whether or not this is the best idea..? Different story entirely. I will wait and see before having any opinion about this system, currently it has potential to be great. Or horrible. We'll see! :lol:

Tiny little fixes sound like messing with the code to fix a bug.

Changing code can cause other problems that are seemingly unrelated.

Or could break a mod that amongst other things fixes that tiny bug that they fixed.

Such as if EA added in a code to better reset Sims that get stuck in Sims 3. There goes Overwatch even though fixing stuck Sims is only one function of Overwatch.

If EA patched that in suddenly and without warning, then players could launch a game and suddenly have their save break at worst, at best just some minor glitches that resolved with removing the mod or waiting for it to be updated.

It will leave modders unable to plan vacations that aren't likely to interfere with their mods or communicate that their plans will delay their mods getting fixed or okayed for the new update.

How many modders will decide that they are done modding because they don't want to be constantly worried that a little tiny bug fix will break their mod(s)?
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Arca wrote: »
    That means from now on...
    Bug fixes = patches
    Free items = SDX

??

We need a new item filter so we can distinguish what's new for CAS and build mode objects.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I think it makes sense. This is going to be in addition to the regular content updates and patch fixes. It sounds like it's a sort of bypass system to easily plunk something simple into the game, like when they create a new ethnic hair style or build pieces that don't need a pack to belong to.

In the live stream, they talked about continuously working to put more representation in the game so that all simmers can create themselves, and the devs are always doing more research to create more assets for that goal. They don't want these kinds of cultural items to be locked behind the paywall of a pack or kit but they also don't want to have to wait until a major patch is scheduled, they want players to have access asap so they're offering a way to do that. This is also why they are choosing to transfer specific CAS items from previous packs to the base game. It's about offering proper representation on the base game level for everyone.

That's the gist I got from the live stream anyway.
    #Team Occult
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited October 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think it makes sense. This is going to be in addition to the regular content updates and patch fixes. It sounds like it's a sort of bypass system to easily plunk something simple into the game, like when they create a new ethnic hair style or build pieces that don't need a pack to belong to.

In the live stream, they talked about continuously working to put more representation in the game so that all simmers can create themselves, and the devs are always doing more research to create more assets for that goal. They don't want these kinds of cultural items to be locked behind the paywall of a pack or kit but they also don't want to have to wait until a major patch is scheduled, they want players to have access asap so they're offering a way to do that. This is also why they are choosing to transfer specific CAS items from previous packs to the base game. It's about offering proper representation on the base game level for everyone.

That's the gist I got from the live stream anyway.

Yeah I guess so. I mean a lot of people say they should just make new hairs but didn't they just release 3 black hairs last month or so? And I think they are available for toddlers too. Idk what hairs came with that toddler pack but idk ig it doesn't matter to me because it's not like they haven't released new hairs for base game recently.