Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which city-related expansion pack do you prefer the most?

2...Next

Comments

• BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited October 2021
    The Sims 1 Hot Date
    Hot Date and Nightlife were great additions IMO because they added new types of community lots. IIRC TS1 didn't even have community lots before Hot Date. Both packs added restaurants to their respective games. Sadly, the later games' "night in the city" packs did not, and have charged us for them separately. =/

Can't deny that Bridgeport looks really nice, though and I have enjoyed playing in it.

Ultimately I vote for Hot Date, for how much it expanded the original The Sims.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    Tough choice

TS4 City Living because San Myshuno is beautiful
    TS2 Apartment Life because Apartments and Social classes were good features
    TS2 Nightlife because I like the nightclub experience.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    The Sims 1 Hot Date
    Despite ironically being designed as the least urban city area of all the city packs, I'd say Hot Date was the most city like EP. All the others feel so empty, new and clean.

In Hot Date, you had a very urban ambiance of a worn out older downtown that still retained its charm, think like a 30s/40s Film Noir. You had passing traffic, busier sidewalks, more NPCs doing specific roles, not to mention the jazzy soundtrack. The objects, and build tools looked gritty, urban, used and worn - it was a place that was lived in. Even the taxicab felt very urban.

In contrast, the other games feel like suburbs with tall buildings.

TS2 had suburban sidewalks, and tried to get around it with a concrete terrain paint, but the huge gaps between buildings made it look like a desolate wasteland, and the prop buildings were completely out of scale with the actual buildings, that it just looked weird.

TS3 was limited by the open world system that caused the world to feel empty as the speed of time vs gameplay meant that everyone had to whip and zoom around in their teleporting cars and run into a building, no one was out on the street. This just made the world itself look very dead.

TS4 had weird design choices. It would have been better if the south bank neighbourhoods were more like the North Bank ones. I wish instead of the elevated fantasy skyscraper plaza of the Fashion and Financial Districts (which we can't do anything related to Fashion or Finance), we had more like the Spice Market or the Art District which felt more real, more urban, like a place we could actually see in real life. Like what about a neighbourhood of middle class brownstones, or something like Blankwood Towers from the Urbz? Though this was during Sims 4's blob world phase where they didn't stick to a specific real world location like they do now.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,946 Member
    edited December 2021
    The Sims 2 NightLife
    Well I mean cheating but alongside hot date... nightlife is really only one on the list with fun romance additions ;) and it has always been one of my favourites of sims series overall

but tbh if i had to compare nightlife it would be to get together not city living
    (get together would lose tho :sweat_smile: )

i prefer san myshuno in ts4 to others in terms of city world but i do wish we also could build ts2 apartment life style apartments to go with it

and yeah ts3 only point really is being able to create your own and explore around with open world and cars

i didn't really like skyscrapers in ts3 cause they were rather annoying

do miss woohoo elevators too though
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    The Sims 2 NightLife
    Nightlife remains one of my favorite packs to this day and it was the very first Sims pack I ever owned. I get why people like Apartment Life, because it was awesome, but I just don't think of it as a city pack. It didn't come with a city and apartments do exist in suburbs so for me, it doesn't make me think of cities.

Plus Nightlife had Vampires, night clubs and a romance and chemistry system (which we still don't have in Sims 4) so it's definitely the best one to me. <3
    #Team Occult
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2022
    The Sims 1 Hot Date
    Oooh! 🤔 This was tough to decide, because I felt each Sims game had a really nice “city” pack! :blush:

Hot Date was my first expansion in the franchise, and I still loved the vibes it gives with its downtown and community lots.

Sims 2 and Sims 3 had some good city packs as well, each bringing something to the experience. Sims 2 had a great apartment experience, for sure. Sims 3 had such big, beautiful worlds that I am always amazed by, even if I am sometimes disappointed by the rabbitholes.

I didn’t play too much of Sims 4’s City Living, but I do love the aesthetics of it, and it does have some apartment play.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)