Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building houses I've actually lived in

jbadger12jbadger12 Posts: 321 Member
edited October 2021 in The Sims 4 Lots
The other day I was inspired by another Sims 4 player to recreate my current residence and that lead me to the subject of this discussion.
Growing up, my family moved around a lot. I've had 19 separate addresses. Some, like the house my parents owned when I was born, I don't really remember. Others, I only lived in for a few months and they made faint impressions. But a few I recall quite well and I attempted to recreate those based on memories and photographs. The results are depicted below:

VCSInI5.jpg

715 Myrtlewood Court: I got to watch as this house was built in a subdivision of other new construction. It still smelled like paint when we moved in, with no fence and not even any grass in the yard. Those we added later.

SSyFg3r.jpg

There weren't many windows in the house, as can be seen from this backside view.

EJfM1Hb.png

The basement was primarily a play area for the kids.

aFZVAnG.jpg

The main floor. At the time, we owned an orange and brown VW Bus. I couldn't find a similar looking car in the Sims 4 inventory.

TpMlAhZ.jpg

The upstairs. The master bedroom had it's own bathroom, while the other was shared with the two smaller bedrooms.

ibWljT4.jpg

92 Windsor Avenue: We moved to this house a few years after the previous one. It was an older house in a well-established neighborhood.

Q24fEht.jpg

The back yard had a sandbox and a white picket fence.

3GJ3j7Y.png

The basement was half finished, with a bar and a built in train set. On the other side, a toilet stood on a platform in the middle of the floor. Functional, but with no real privacy, it was only used in emergency situations.

ebtfpbf.jpg

On the first floor, one side of the house was dominated by the living room, with kitchen, dining room, and basement access on the other side.

ACBfbGL.jpg

Upstairs were three bedrooms and a full bath.

cbli7Lc.jpg

1722 Lynwood Lane: I was in middle school when we moved to this house.

b2RrXC8.jpg

The back of the house featured a large carport.

Fsbi7ut.jpg

This house had a larger square footage than our previous one, and we didn't have quite enough furniture to fill all the rooms.

npgCr1F.jpg

For special occasions like Thanksgiving meals we moved the kitchen table into the dining room, which at other times was used as a play area. My little brother had a fort in there, made from cardboard boxes.

dCvp6GV.jpg

My parents shared a bed room, but each of the kids had one to themselves.

zH9yIEz.jpg

742 N Mission: I was in college, but living at home when my parents owned this house.

x83V71N.jpg

There were lots of trees in the front, including a cherry tree beside the garage.

nBoxHyi.jpg

One side of the back yard was dominated by a large tree. In another corner of the yard was a separate fenced in area we referred to as the secret garden.

fv28ROg.jpg

The main room of the basement was nicely finished. My dad, my little brother and I all had computers down there. We called it the "Command Center". I used to build model airplanes on the table in the center of the room.

q7pzbSK.jpg

Another view of the basement, showing the laundry area, furnace, and hot water heater.

Nr4xuIe.jpg

The living room had built in shelves flanking the big windows at one end.

sk7OMDA.jpg

My mom had the kitchen torn out and completely renovated; the new design included an ample amount of purple paint.

lk2cEWI.jpg

The dining room served double duty as a library.

K8ugNVr.jpg

Upstairs were two bedrooms and a small full bathroom.

HNhGfYP.jpg

This is where I currently live.

FQJMUGf.jpg

My unit is the green one on the end.

hXSBVZy.jpg

Kitchen

rxzx2RY.png

Living room

nwEBilO.jpg

Bedroom

qR1g2DI.jpg

Garage

fm1Ouiv.jpg
Gallery ID: jjbadgett12

Comments

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    @jbadger12 , Lovely houses :)

I only have this one, build based of the real cabin :)
    etYwI3Q.png
    (has CC wall and log trim)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • jbadger12jbadger12 Posts: 321 Member
    @Ellupelluellu Thank you, and thanks for sharing. That's a beautiful screenshot of your house.
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    Your sims game version of the homes where you have lived in are lovely! @jbadger12 and @Ellupelluellu :) It would be very special for you seeing your sims living in homes that are just like your real life ones :)
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    edited October 2021
    These are awesome! I like the detail you put into them. I have wanted to make some of my old houses but a couple were split level and basements with exterior doors so they just wouldn't be the same.
    Post edited by Clousinators on
    @Clousinators Thank you. The building tools in this version of the game are very nice, but there is definitely room for improvement. The ability to make partially exposed basements would be great.
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    jbadger12, I love your houses! I do the same as you and build houses I have lived in and other houses I know. It is so much fun to have your sims living and growing up in houses that you grew up in! As they build their memories you relive your own. I like the apartment building and plan to download it for a new sims game I am starting.
    @maggiemae8135 Thank you. Just building the houses helped me relive my memories. I haven't gotten around to playing in any of them, yet.
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I have tried to do this, but the scale is just off and it ends up not really looking like my home.
    @Inna Minnit I've had some issues of that type, too. I had to make some compromises to the designs of most of my houses to get them to work out as well as they did. In one case, I couldn't place a staircase where it needed to be, so I had to resize some of the rooms to accommodate it in its new position. Still, it was a fun exercise. Maybe at some point the tools will be refined enough that you can make your home look right in game.
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I tried this a couple times, once for my childhood home and for our current home. However, the same as others have shared, I couldn't get the scale right and ended up just bulldozing them. This was a a long time ago though and we have more tools available to build since then. I might try again sometime. It would really help if we could build on half tiles. I like to build using house plans and have had to change them drastically due to the tiles being so big. Ah well, I still have a ton of fun building despite that omission. I also built the vacation beach cottage we use once for a build challenge, but again, it ended up looking much different than reality. I might try to build that again as well.

I'm impressed with the homes others have built with the tools we have, great job with those! Y'all are so talented, love seeing your creations! Great thread! :)
    Half tile walls would be a great addition to the current build tools.
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    It would really help if we could build on half tiles. I like to build using house plans and have had to change them drastically due to the tiles being so big.

That would be great. And also half walls from the top too.

Yes there are restrictions with sims building that prevents an exact copy of a home, but I find it challenging to try to get close to what I am trying to build. Sometimes I have to make rooms/house larger than I want to because of stairs. I have lived in homes that have basements and the stairs actually go under the stairs that go from the first to second floor. Can't do that in sims so have to make the room larger to fit both. Slanted roofs also are hard as in real life go over a wall that is like a half wall in sims and they have windows, so have to compensate for that somehow. But overall the houses are close enough to my real life ones that I can live with it! I really would love it if it was possible to place stairs over the stairs in the basement though.
    @maggiemae8135 Unless I misunderstand your meaning, you can place one flight of stairs directly over another. See the screenshots below:

xAlFGm1.jpg

This is from 742 N Mission in my original post.

DJRBvAV.jpg

The basement stairs in 715 Myrtlewood Court, 92 Windsor Avenue, and the stairs to the garage in the townhouses all work the same way.

fm1Ouiv.jpg
    Awesome! I tried it in the past and was never able to. Haven't tried in a long time but will definitely try it again next time I build! Saves so much space! Thank you!
    Glad I could help. :)
    fm1Ouiv.jpg