Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Many "quests" need better explanations

Typical, and most obvious example is "Survey Ocean Life", which also exists as a clickable option on buoys. That option need both to be renamed somehow, so there is no confusion, but it also need to be easier to realize what you should click on.

There are many such things in the game, where an aspiration goal is just very very badly explained. All of them needs to be looked over, IMHO.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited October 2021
    Is having a variety of clickable options such as "Survey Ocean Life" not the same as having different of ways to "Try for Baby"?
    Why does this option need to be renamed?
    Also, when you rest your cursor over an aspiration goal a window pops up with information explaining clearly which steps you need to take in order to achieve that specific goal.

What exactly is the confusing part, or did I misunderstand what you're trying to say? I'm confused. :D
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited October 2021
    Does it not fulfill the aspiration when you choose it through the buoy?

It could be that bug where aspiration milestones don’t get fulfilled when they should. Unless you’re saying it’s achieved some other way?

ETA: fixed some terms
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Is having a variety of clickable options such as "Survey Ocean Life" not the same as having different of ways to "Try for Baby"?
    Why does this option need to be renamed?
    Also, when you rest your cursor over an aspiration goal a window pops up with information explaining clearly which steps you need to take in order to achieve that specific goal.

What exactly is the confusing part, or did I misunderstand what you're trying to say? I'm confused. :D

If you look at these very forums, this question keeps coming up. So it's not only me that is confused.
    Also, yes, if you rest your pointer over the aspiration goal or "work from home" assigment you get a better (marginally) description (it still doesn't explain the buoys aren't valid. So no, it's not even clearly explained.

Plus, of course, I don't think the game explains anywhere that you CAN get a tooltip. I didn't know until around 2016. I played the game since launch. I found it by accident.
    And yes they are not the same thing (answering your top question) which is the point. They do completely different things but has the same name and the only way to find out is to first find out that there are tooltips.

There are tons of things in this game so terribly explained.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2021
    Typical, and most obvious example is "Survey Ocean Life", which also exists as a clickable option on buoys. That option need both to be renamed somehow, so there is no confusion, but it also need to be easier to realize what you should click on.

There are many such things in the game, where an aspiration goal is just very very badly explained. All of them needs to be looked over, IMHO.

I might have to disagree. Discovery is part of the fun, sometimes. If a player is told exactly what to do then that is a bit too much hand holding for a player like me. I never knew how to make the clown stop crying in TS1, I'm glad there was no instructions to throw out the clown painting.

I will agree there are too many repetitive things in gameplay in TS4 (things that accomplish the same thing) however, I wouldn't want word for word instructions that would thwart the fun of discovery of how to solve something.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.