Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What makes your simworld truly your own compared to other players?

Comments

• Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,094 Member
    And, to be clear, the Dylan and Zephyr in my current save are still the same ones from the save they were born in. They aren't alternative versions. I simply transfer them to new saves by saving the household as they are.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I don't know how unique this really is, but I am very fond of managing and establishing order in the worlds of my one and only save. Back when I started playing TS4, I used to make families and move them into whatever random neighbourhood I liked at the time. Nowadays, every world has a specific theme and is inhabited by sims who represent said theme, as well as a mayor.

For example, Brindleton Bay is for pets and their owners, so if there isn't at least one pet in the household (be it a cat or dog, a small pet, or one of the farm animals from Cottage Living), that family has to settle down elsewhere. The mayor is also a cat, which is coherent with what the developers had in mind for this world, but there are other worlds where I made my own rules. The first contact between humans and aliens happened a few decades ago in Oasis Springs, which has since become the world capital of aliens on Earth. It's not the only world in my game where they live, but the one where you'll meet the most of them, including some types that you won't find anywhere else (basically just regular aliens in fancy cc skins that make them look different, but you get the idea). The mayor of Oasis Springs is (you guessed it) an alien himself.

Many of my played sims are also immigrants from other video games, and I always try to tie the backstories of said games into the overarching story of my sim world in some way. Over a dozen Resident Evil characters live across all worlds, with the StrangerVille zombie outbreak doubling as the Raccoon City incident from the RE games. Lara Croft is in-universe the first archaeologist to explore the ancient Omiscan temples and owns a rental in Selvadorada, while her friend Anaya sells artefacts, relics, and Selvadoradian souvenirs in her own shop. An entire neighbourhood in Mount Komorebi is dedicated to the androids from Detroit: Become Human, who have moved away from Detroit/San Myshuno and started a new life after the events of the game. And so on...
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    My sims and my builds make my simworld unique. I avoid premades where I can. I am a one household mod/CC-heavy loose legacy style player who plays extremely slowly. I've also incorporated two challenges in my gameplay: 100 babies and supersim.

But because I'm detail-oriented, love the pause button as well as speed 1, am in absolutely no rush, and probably don't play as much as one might think, in 3 years, I've made it through 5 or 6 generations and just 19 children out of 100 even though I have aging on (and not on long). It's about the journey and enjoying the gameplay, right?

I don't use cheats, but my sims are extremely rich, so I try to use their money creatively and stay away from money trees to keep money management a little challenging. They set money on fire, give away 10s of thousands of simoleons on holidays, buy their children homes when they move out, and own a variety of properties. I also keep their bills high at between 60,000 and 80,000/week.

My next building project for them will likely be either a house for one of the kids to move in after becoming a YA or a college dorm for students of either university, titled Fier College or something hopefully more creative, and costing between 500,000 and 1,000,000 simoleons.

The founders of my legacy come from a sexist/patriarchal culture, so the legacy is a patriarchy with some caveats, but there are no heirs so it's structure doesn't really matter and it's a bit of a plot point that my sims avoid discussing the uncomfortable inequalities in their family. Despite that, dad does most of the childcare these days and mom is the handy person because they actually don't care that much about gender roles.

I used to be a rather realistic no-occults slice-of-life player, but I play with vampires now, but I think I'm still a bit weird about it as my vampires aren't very vampire-like (no dark form, no gothic décor, most are vegans, etc.).

Founder and Family
    KYqckaX.jpg

gen 0 and gen 4:
    qcz9DpF.jpg

Homes. They spend most time in their main residence and second home. The third home doesn't see much use anymore. (also me trying to not just share the same pictures I always share:)
    Second Home (Mt. Komorebi) back and inside
    w5lm7nB.jpg
    tARg8Wl.jpg

Main home (San Myshuno)
    xuhfEWo.jpg
    7Z1QOc5.jpg

Third Home (Windenburg) - very oddly designed
    Z7uM6ln.jpg
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,103 Member
    As others have said, reading this thread makes me realise how boring my saves are! I wish I had your creativity. I really need to figure out a way to make my games more interesting, but it seems to be so hard to play out a story when you have something specific in mind. I'm feeling inspired now though!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I think the community aspect makes my game a tad different. It's based a lot on the various families history, those I did not play through generations might still have a small constructed family tree with some stories. Many families have unique jewels and other valuable possessions, being passed down the generations for generations. In addition I use houses/nobility that directs some of the bigger decisions, such as careers, status and more. Occasionally there occurs a complicated case where choosing successors cause conflicts within the house, which I love :) Or a main heir wants to escape all those old family traditions, also stirring up things.

I also have 3 functional political parties, with a Council of 5 persons elected every 5 years. I use both clubs and NAPs for this (wish the NAPs were customizable!) Because I play 100+ households on rotations the development is quite slow, everyone ages up 1 year once per half rotation (=1 sim year). This RL year I only managed to age up my community 2 sim years, LOL. Most of my 400+ sims are ordinary families though, and some of them rather boring, even :)

I also use a DNA-string (manually calculated) to base the many characters on. When a child is born I never decide details, because their looks and personality will be indicated by that DNA-string. This helps me knowing whether they should have long or short hair, body hair, freckles, need glasses, hoe smart and successful they are, and lately I added values for their preferred esthetics and community and a lot more.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited October 2021
    Since sims 1 I have always started playing my simself so that has usually been my only save. Now in sims 4 I do have a build save. In my main save in sims 4 a lot of the lots are either my own builds, some from the gallery or edited EA lots. All the worlds have a "theme" to their builds. Most pre-made sims die out or get deleted, very few get played. My actual simself family/generation has never had any specific rules and play all households in all previous versions of the sims too. Up until sims 4 I've never played any pre-mades.

However in sims 4 the Goth household I do play and have a lot of rules. All female sims must end their name with an A and males an R (this is actually lore in game I read it somewhere and it's true minus a few Goths), most names are handed down or specifically chosen with these endings. The males are the "heir" and will always inherit Ophelia Villa and the money. Most Goths will wear black in all outfits and those that don't are seen as "rebels". Most have a creative or business type jobs. It is expected the male heir will produce another male heir if not then it falls to a female (based on a royal lineage). Also my new rule is all Goth's are expected to go to Brichester university. I have a lot of odd rules for the Goth's which are essentially my second main family generational gameplay in my main save.

Edit: Occult sims don't usually play a massive part and are more background sims but do exist. Hence my unusual stance of being a realistic simmer but not hating occults and will have them in my game. I never see many simmers with this opinion most either play occults or don't. I'm inbetween and prefer the aliens and mermaids in sims 4 as that suits my occult gameplay style more.
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited October 2021
    I guess one thing that makes my save a bit different than how others usually play is that I really only play one save. I've been working on building a world using my own sims and connecting the pre-mades in where I can as well since 2017, when I got the game. Up until recently, I didn't really age any of my sims often either - I was more focused on adding more sims to my world first. But I've been playing a challenge this year that has encouraged me to finally age up a lot of my sims and get started on the next generation for many families. So I think the thing that really makes my game special is that I've really grown attached to one save that I've given a lot of care and thought to. I create stories for my sims in my head to, so there's always a lot of narrative and backstory happening too. A lot of my sims have cousins and siblings and other extended family members living in different worlds too, so my game is very connected and thought out when it comes to the sims I make and create.
  • SimminDragonSimminDragon Posts: 34 Member
    I play with MCCC, wonderful whims, and other mods. I love playing serial romantics, and also hooking people up. I don't like playing with toddlers, and children. I haven't been able to play through one generation as of yet.

On one of my saves I decided to mix things up with the two main mods. MCCC allowed me to turn on a lot of anonymous behaviors especially proposals. I can play with sims being allowed to have more than one boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse. With wonderful whims gives a very nice attraction system. I'm creating a lot of households, and having every household have at least one child. I sort of let the game guide me as well. I believe with wonderful whims it gives the sims preference for exclusive or non-exclusive relationships, and do they want a child or not.

My most interesting households in this save is Isabella who never wanted an exclusive relationship. She ended up engaged to a sim until she found out that he really didn't find her attractive. Not as attractive as she found him. She left him to run into three others she fell head over heels with. She later finds out one is an alien, who will love her no matter what. Is agreeable to a non-exclusive relationship as along as she marries him. The other she finds out is a merman who would rather have an exclusive relationship, but is willing to share her with the alien whom is his friend. His friend knows how to keep secrets. The third is Devin who is readily agreeable to a non-exclusive relationship. To my surprise he did an anonymous proposed to her really quickly and got engaged. He had no interest living with them. She never really told the other two about Devin. Played other sims, and skip ahead. She now has two alien babies, and three mer-babies. Later on after the babies grew into children, Devin out of the blue divorces her. Devin eventually married another sim Suzanne. She was amazing to him. He had to keep his secrets. Through the course of time Suzanne found out that he did have four children to four different women other than Isabella. (The game did that not me. I blame the nightclub I created The Dark Lure with two closets sims can woohoo in.) That was before she met him. Then she finds out why he comes home so late at night. He was a minor mob boss. He tells her that he is quitting for her, and that he found out he really doesn't like creating mischief for others - from the new like dislike system EA added.

My new save I decided to do the 100 bea challenge my way. My sim is immortal through the potion of youth. I was thinking of the movie Age of Adeline. I should have called my sim Adeline. I need to complete her aspersions to get the potion of youth. I created her to be a serial romantic. All other sims will age normally. The goal is to get one hundred boyfriends during her life as long as she can keep getting the potion of youth. The way she earns money is through receiving gold on dates, if she happens to be on a penny pixel lot, and if someone gives her money and gifts. If someone asks her to go somewhere with them or on a date, she has to go. Enter Drama and technical difficulty. She is on a date where she can get a gold and the money from the reward, but is asked to go on a date with someone else with no rewards. She has to ditch her first date...

No cheating on needs or skills. No saving her from death unless she can do something to save herself. I'm using my mods stated above. They can bring their own challenges also. She has to try extra hard with someone who doesn't find her attractive. I loose if she looses a boyfriend. MCCC allows you to have multiple boyfriends. If she looses someone before they become a boyfriend, she still has a chance. So far she has four boyfriends. Three of which have an exclusive relationship with her, and one non-exclusive. The second boyfriend has gotten jealous before becoming a boyfriend. I think this is going to get interesting.
  • SkyrryxSkyrryx Posts: 201 Member
    edited October 2021
    I like making community lots. The game feel more like my own like that. I build them to cater to my gameplay. I divide the worlds into areas:
    • European inspired worlds: HOB (Pub/Bar, General Store, Church/Museum, Vet clinic, National Park, Rental), Britechester (Library, Bar, Café, Commons, Dormitories), Glimmerbrook (Apothecary shop, Rental), Forgotten Hollow (Church+Cemetary, Rental), Windenburg (Café, Bar, Church/Lounge, Nightclub, Library, Restaurant, Retail (bookstore, bakery, clothing, Flower shop - together on the same lot), Museum (Arts), Gym, Spa, Pool, Park).
    • American inspired worlds, east coast: Brindleton Bay (Museum (Maritime History), Vet clinic, Pet shop, Park, Bar, Lounge, Cat Café, Restaurant, Fish Market), Willow Creek (Lounge, Café, Library, Restaurant, Park, Community Space, Rental), Magnolia Promenade (Bakery, Flower Shop, Wedding Clothing Store, Furnitures Store), Newcrest (Museum (Natural History), Art Center, Library, Park, Gym, Spa, Bar, Nightclub, Retail, Rental), Granite Falls.
    • American inspired worlds, west coast: Oasis Springs (Park, Community Space, Pool, Museum (Science, Technology and Space Research), Diner/Restaurant, Bowling Alley+Cinema+Arcade/Bar, Rental), StrangerVille (Bar, Library), Del Sol Valley (Café, Bowling Alley+Cinema+Arcade/Bar, Spa, Museum (Hall of Fame), Lounge), San Myshuno (Café, Bowling Alley+Cinema+Arcade/Bar, Art Center, Rental, Karaoke Bar, Photo Studio, Gym, Restaurant, Botanical Garden (Central Park)), Evergreen Harbor (Bar, 3 Community Spaces, Rental).
    • Overseas: Sulani (Spa, Bar, Souvenir+Ice cream Shop/Retail, Beachs, Rental), Mt. Komorebi (Onsen, Gym (+pool, skating rink), Rental, Izakaya/Karaoke Bar, Park, Retail (Souvenirs, Flower shop, Konbini - together on the same lot)), Selvadorada.
    • It's own thing: Batuu.

My sims can freely move inside their area, but need to take a vacation to visit other areas. :)
    Post edited by Skyrryx on
    Thank you @83bienchen for modding the game. Whims Overhaul is essential for my gameplay.
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I dunno if this sets me apart but I like to make my sims lives very, very hard. LOL I love the challenge!

What I mean is: I take out money for things or even more money. For example: Taxes, having a baby, a honeymoon (Usually more money then the price of the stay), When I got into CAS I decide the prices of outfit changes, hairstyles or cuts or extensions, dying hair, etc. (Also thanks to a mod unnatural hair is genetic again, it was in the sims 3).

I charge fees for traveling: I have a kinda cannon on where everything is in the sim world and how they sims get to it, car, train, ship, airplane, the distance and how many hours it takes.

I also charge for going to venues or at least some of them, like gym membership, to the movies, etc.

It seems a lot and prob is, but I just love to play this way.

It also helps drain the absurdly easy collection of money in the game.
    ___

I also have occult lore in which all of them except ghost are not proven yet but sims have theories. And ghost are only known to linger and need to be sent to the netherworld or helped to become at peace.

Also aliens do play a part but only the scientist/astronauts really know of them and they have gotten some of their alien tech, it helps me explain some things like the birthing and surgery table and a few other things that I can't think of right now.

Also for things like the twirling into clothing or having their inventory, sims are aware of these abilities but they thank the great watcher for this natural sim abilities / magic.

Yet actual magic by spellcasters are under suspect.

A good amount of sims believe that a lot of the interesting potions and serums are science and nature but many also believe spellcasters cast a certain magic to create just as many phenomenons. There is an age old argument about it in my lore.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    @Lyrie How do you charge for everything?
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »

@lisamwitt - could be they just set prices and remove money using cheats.

There is a lot trait by LittleMsSam that charges for visitors. I have that one and use it for things like gyms, museums, nightclubs, etc. Anything that would charge and entrance fee in the real world.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

There is a lot trait by LittleMsSam that charges for visitors. I have that one and use it for things like gyms, museums, nightclubs, etc. Anything that would charge and entrance fee in the real world.

@lisamwitt @Mstybl95

That is right, I just set prices pending on household income, especially for things like taxes and child support (though MCCC has a good setting for it)

For things like new clothing, after school club fees and hospital bills and baby care, those stay stagnant for each family.

It makes it fun when at holidays or birthdays richer family members gift simoleons to that family member that has been wanting a new dress or hat, necklace or piercing that way they can afford it!

I play rotationally, so I usually keep track of charges weekly along with bills. I tend to total up each day or two on my phone while my sims are sleeping.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    My main save is special to me because I have been playing it since 2014. My sims have become special to me, the whole darn large rotation I have. Every family is different and I have downloaded and made special lots for my sims. I kind of know where I’m going with each sim, with minor changes along the way.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    edited October 2021
    I like the creativity in this thread.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Lyrie wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

@lisamwitt @Mstybl95

That is right, I just set prices pending on household income, especially for things like taxes and child support (though MCCC has a good setting for it)

For things like new clothing, after school club fees and hospital bills and baby care, those stay stagnant for each family.

It makes it fun when at holidays or birthdays richer family members gift simoleons to that family member that has been wanting a new dress or hat, necklace or piercing that way they can afford it!

I play rotationally, so I usually keep track of charges weekly along with bills. I tend to total up each day or two on my phone while my sims are sleeping.

You and I play pretty similarly. I like your style! 😄
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited October 2021
    I tend to play my personal Core Values. My Sims don't woohoo prior to marriage. There is no 'cheating on their spouse' allowed and since I began playing Sims, back in the summer of 2005 Sims2 I can count on ONE hand the number of divorces I've allowed in my game.

I also tend to play in a different Time Zone. My Main Save is set in the 23rd Century, so that the crew of the Original Star Trek is part of the 'cast', if you will. Spock marries the only daughter in my Cantrell family and her favorite brother (although she loves all four of them to pieces) becomes an Intergalactic Rock Star. This is my 'fun' save as the only limits on it are the ones I place on it. Many an odd thing may happen, and I've had to restart so very many times, it hurts, but I have fun. Lots of it. It was hysterical, for instance when Brianna's Cow Plant kept 'tasting' her next older brother, the destined World Renown Surgeon, only to spit him back out again. Joey hated that 'monster'. And Aaron, the eldest was swallowed a couple of times, but spared. He must leave a very bad taste in the Beastie's mouth. If memory serves, even Erik fell prey to the Beastie. At any rate, he used to plot against the beast. Then out of the blue the derned nuisance up and died. Dried up. Hm wonder how that happened? Erik? LOL

Whereas my Ancestral game save is set in the 18th Century. Different values and different amenities. Now, since I don't use a mod to keep them from glancing at their cell phones, I give my 18th century families a computer, too. It's almost impossible to play the game without the Internet. This save is currently on hiatus.

ETA: I also play with full autonomy on. So that's where some of the craziness springs forth.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I tend to play my personal Core Values. My Sims don't woohoo prior to marriage. There is no 'cheating on their spouse' allowed and since I began playing Sims, back in the summer of 2005 Sims2 I can count on ONE hand the number of divorces I've allowed in my game.[/i]

I think this speaks a lot to my own style—my values aren't the same as yours exactly but there are definitely social norms and rules relating to how my sims get to where they are in life. I'm with you on divorce though—the only divorces I've ever had in my simworlds involved breaking up premades' marriages. No sim who has entered into a marriage at my behest as "the Watcher" has ever had that marriage end other than by "'til death do us part." I'm divorced IRL, and not by my own choice. I don't want my sims to go through that.

(he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    Lyrie wrote: »
    (Also thanks to a mod unnatural hair is genetic again, it was in the sims 3).

@Lyrie: Sounds interesting. Could you post a link to that mod?
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I guess I feel my way of playing is unique, the same as other players believe their playstyle is unique because everyone has his own way of playing and enjoying the game. But I replace the townies and pre-made Sims with my own, with backstories that belong only to them. I rebuild my worlds with my builds, and rearrange what I can so every world looks and plays differently than it did when it was released. And are generally remodeled to match the storylines I have going for my main Sims in every save I play. It takes weeks, sometimes months, before all my work and planning come together in the way I envisioned, but it's worth it in the end because every save is different; and I have several different options to choose from when I finally have the time to sit down and play. If I feel like playing families, I have a save that is centered around families. The same goes for my farming Sims and their worlds in my farming save. My retail shops change to reflect what the Sims in each save would like to purchase. Venues are created to suit the general lifestyle that is represented in each save as well. I believe I have five saves at the moment and each one is quite different from the others. I think that is one of the main reasons why I love all the Sims games so much. I have the option to create just about anything with storylines only I would probably like to play.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I tend to play my personal Core Values. My Sims don't woohoo prior to marriage. There is no 'cheating on their spouse' allowed and since I began playing Sims, back in the summer of 2005 Sims2 I can count on ONE hand the number of divorces I've allowed in my game.[/i]

I think this speaks a lot to my own style—my values aren't the same as yours exactly but there are definitely social norms and rules relating to how my sims get to where they are in life. I'm with you on divorce though—the only divorces I've ever had in my simworlds involved breaking up premades' marriages. No sim who has entered into a marriage at my behest as "the Watcher" has ever had that marriage end other than by "'til death do us part." I'm divorced IRL, and not by my own choice. I don't want my sims to go through that.

LOL, I had only 5-6 divorces, too (since 2001) and a third of those involved a certain Judith Ward ;) When a couple divorce after less than 10 years they will get the part of values equaling to the share they originally added. After 10 years of marriage they get 50/50. The extremely wealthy (or high nobility) will have trusts and other arrangements limiting the worth that is to be shared.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    You and I play pretty similarly. I like your style! 😄

That is awesome, always nice to find someone who plays like you! B):)

@83bienchen I can link you for sure, I use a couple of mods and mix and match, I guess it might be classified more as CC? But when the baby grows up to a toddler usually it gets a random hair if dad as green and mom has pink.

With these packages in, most of the hair for toddlers and kids they get either green or pink now :)

Links: Most updated: https://elleawyn.tumblr.com/post/642854154430185473/unnatural-hair-colors-for-kids-and-toddlers

Other link: (Not updated but still works and fills in the pieces): https://wildlyminiaturesandwich.tumblr.com/recolourwip

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    In my world, occults and regular sims live together openly. Originally, occults were hunted and killed, so they had to live in secret. But after playing the game over multiple generations and with multiple sims working towards equality, occults and sims were able to bridge the gap. There's still a lot of progress to be made (Orcs are still treated poorly by Spellcasters, for example), but things are going well.

For my game, there's a lot of focus on tradition, culture, politics and hierarchy. For example, witches tend to disavow marrying outside their state to preserve their magic, and families often seek out marriages with witches of status, nobility or power. They have their own holidays and traditions, a boarding school, and various differences in culture based on each neighborhood. (IE, Forgotten Hollow witches don't care about preserving their magical lineage, as long as their partner is still an occult.) Each family has a complex history, a unique role to play in the magical community, and ancestors that can connect them to other families.

And I focused on establishing brands to keep things recognizable. One sim family makes a premium-brand Grape Juice and sells it in various stores; another family owns a restaurant chain in various worlds; there's one photographer occults use, and he also owns a gallery for vampire-based art and photographs.

I had to start a new file though, so I'm thinking of just going Krakoan rules and isolating the occults to one neighborhood, then slowly build them up.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    Thank you, @Lyrie.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Thank you, @Lyrie.

You’re welcome! :)