Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims and "Real Gamers"

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    Another part of this is the real money these "real gamers" fork out for their computers to play the newest games. Someone will gripe about paying around $1000 for their graphics card and I'll respond with "Pfft. I paid just a couple hundred for my whole system." They'll laugh when I describe my old system but then I'll point out that not long ago someone paid several thousands for it when it was brand new.

I just had a discussion with people I otherwise respect on Twitter who honestly argued that 6000 USD is average price for a gaming rig. When I pointed out that the one I just ordered for 1350 USD is the most expensive computer i have ever bought (I am 48 yrs old now) they tried to apologize for "insulting my rig" as if that was the problem. The problem is that they're obviously were having a Lucille Bluth moment not recognizing they are in a completely different income bracket than most people (I follow a lot of independent political journalists and activists).

Remember, the PS5 or Xbox is < 600 USD, providing you can find one. Adding another zero to that... is a lot of overkill.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited October 2021
    Another part of this is the real money these "real gamers" fork out for their computers to play the newest games. Someone will gripe about paying around $1000 for their graphics card and I'll respond with "Pfft. I paid just a couple hundred for my whole system." They'll laugh when I describe my old system but then I'll point out that not long ago someone paid several thousands for it when it was brand new.

I just had a discussion with people I otherwise respect on Twitter who honestly argued that 6000 USD is average price for a gaming rig. When I pointed out that the one I just ordered for 1350 USD is the most expensive computer i have ever bought (I am 48 yrs old now) they tried to apologize for "insulting my rig" as if that was the problem. The problem is that they're obviously were having a Lucille Bluth moment not recognizing they are in a completely different income bracket than most people (I follow a lot of independent political journalists and activists).

Remember, the PS5 or Xbox is < 600 USD, providing you can find one. Adding another zero to that... is a lot of overkill.

6000 for average price that's ridiculous. I paid 1000 cad (so abt the same amount as you) for my mid range pc. I could have gotten some parts at a higher quality with that amount if I didn't buy it pre built. But I didn't feel like building it lol.

Yeah I don't see how people spend so much on a pc. I mean the average American lives paycheck to paycheck (I believe).
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

6000 for average price that's ridiculous. I paid 1000 cad (so abt the same amount as you) for my mid range pc. I could have gotten some parts at a higher quality with that amount if I didn't buy it pre built. But I didn't feel like building it lol.

Yeah I don't see how people spend so much on a pc. I mean the average American lives paycheck to paycheck (I believe).

6000 dollars is 11 month's rent for me.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    I consider myself a gamer, I play many different types of games, I only really hear this silly idea of not being a real gamer by the hardcore elite players who put everyone else down no matter what type of games are played. These folks need to feel elevated above everyone else in order to feel good about themselves and their opinion on things is worthless to me. I say, if video games is where you find the largest amount of your entertainment or time invested, then you are a gamer, regardless of the type of game it is.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Kit costs what it costs. If someone can afford to buy a beast of a system so they can play games in full 4K glory with a high frame rate, then good luck to 'em :) Hobbies of any sort can get expensive. Thankfully there are lots of games out there that will run for those of us on more modest kit. I would really really like one of those Index VR systems for example and you need a PC with some pretty hefty grunt to run anything on that. As an aside, I think The Sims would be utterly fantastic in high quality VR.

Comparisons of kit and degree of dedication is not unique to playing games. There are groups out there who need to have the fastest/most expensive car/phone/boat and so on.

Running comparisons doesn't seem to make such sense to me. If we have enough time and money to indulge a hobby of any sort then we are doing better than most in the world whose lives are mostly spent in pursuit of food and water.

Also, in my mind The Sims is a game. Its bought at a game shop and has gamey stuff in it like levelling up and even the occasional game over screen. :)

Maybe life is a game? Would that mean all humans are gamers and therefore renders the term gamer obsolete?

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Maybe life is a game? Would that mean all humans are gamers and therefore renders the term gamer obsolete?

The answer to your first question = Absolutely.
    The answer to your second question = Not necessarily.

What I do know is that we're all part of the game and whoever is playing with us is the Realest Hardcore Gamer.
    They're also hilarious. Today some invisible force made me kick the neighbour's wheelie bin and it definately wasn't my decision. I bet ya it was that gamer.

The other day I was driving around real fast and noticed these ginormous coins floating just above the road's surface. I accidently crashed into two or three of them and thought they'd break my windscreen, but no, they went straight into my bank account.

I have no problem with those experiences at all. What I don't like is when the skies turn dark and the zombies appear. Last time I ran out of axes and I couldn't find my blowtorch anywhere. All of a sudden I found myself - completely unarmed - amidst a zombie melee attack and thank goodness my other neighbour spotted me while he was watering his pumpkin patch! Dude's an alligator, so he decided to literally save my skin and eat them all.

Anyway, I think that whoever is playing me is not a great gamer because they forgot to put a bed in my house and I'm only able to nap on my loveseat. I am however lucky that they gave me a toilet. The only problem with that is that it's sort of parked there on the front lawn. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Am I dating myself with this?

cuvv19e.png

I don't know but my tired brain took a while to get you meant aging dating not romantic dating and i was so confused *facepalm*

Is brain glitching another sign of aging i wonder
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Tequila_Rose_13191Tequila_Rose_13191 Posts: 143 Member
    I play TS4, Minecraft, and occasionally Slithero and Chuzzle. I'm a filthy casual and proud of it. But ya know what? I'm also a gamer because I feel like a gamer is just someone who enjoys the game. Regardless of what it is. If you play a game in your spare time, guess what; you're a gamer, too!
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    The other day I was driving around real fast and noticed these ginormous coins floating just above the road's surface. I accidently crashed into two or three of them and thought they'd break my windscreen, but no, they went straight into my bank account.

This made me think of an episode of Robot Chicken where Mario and/or Luigi went to one of the cities from GTA, can't remember which city. At the end, Yoshi heads toward Raccoon City from Resident Evil? One of my favorite Robot Chicken episodes. I would share the video but it's not forum appropriate.

Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • RheyMiRheyMi Posts: 2 New Member
    In my personal opinion a gamer is someone who enjoys well games, no matter the genre they are i myself enjoy the sims and visual novels wich some elitist would consider "Not real games" but at the end of the day, just play and enjoy whatever you like without listening to the crowd on what they consider "true games" and not.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I call them a gamer if they play more than one series of games. not just exclusively playing the sims only, or civilization only. but they shouldnt care much what others call them though.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2021
    I've never considered myself a 'gamer' or even a 'real gamer'. To me real gamers are hardcore gamers who never leave their seat, they eat, sleep, drink, use the bathroom at their pc playing the game of their choice. They eat and breathe the game they play. They don't talk about anything else, at all. Only a game. They have no interest in current events, religion, politics, other people, pets, life or anything outside their window, let alone any thing inside the room. They travel hundreds of miles to participate in competitions when hosted by their 'game'. If this isn't you then I can understand when someone says you aren't a real gamer...wait, how many hours do any of us sit and play The Sims...or look up and see it's twenty years later. I don't want to be a 'real gamer'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    I don't understand it. What makes a person a gamer is that they play video games. Of course there are different gamer types, like casual gamer, but I don't get the "real fan" thing. What playing The Sims makes you? A fake gamer? What makes fake fake? Why do I repeat the word "fake" so much in this post that it becomes dull?

Anyway, yes, The Sims is a casual game, but playing it is still playing a video game. People can have fun with it, and some even prefer the relaxing type fun over intense type fun. The Sims feels like it's a canvas, a canvas where you can make art. That's why I like playing the game. One greatest thing about video games that there are so many genres of them to appeal to wide array of audience.

People are different and that's an awesome thing to embrace. It's important to do things you like, so don't let the peer pressure get to you, especially on social media. There are always people who like you as you are, so cherish them. It's impossible to be liked by everyone, so don't bother trying to be likeable to those who don't like you as you are.
    Don't adandon you. You are what makes you. So take care that you keep yourself you. Don't let those gatekeepers affect you negatively.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Many self-professed "hardcore gamers" feel that way.

And many of us casual players who have been enjoying video games since the days of Space Invaders and Pac-Man still consider it a false distinction. That's like a person who reads crime thrillers saying that Anne of Green Gables isn't really a novel.

The fact is, there is a dearth of games in my personal sweet-spot, which is creative AND collaborative rather than competitive - but I am used to not having mainstream tastes. I just make do playing games toward my own goals, in my own way, and not caring what hyper-competitive type-A gamers think. ;)

The Sims is a video-game. Google Earth is a software toy. ;)

But I feel like we're getting off-topic.

EDIT (so as not to derail) Ty Antares, one of my Journey to Batuu sims, as his alter-ego in a different EA title. ;)

UH2K1FX.jpg

It's funny, because it really should be the other way around.
    The people who consider themselves "hardcore gamers" tend to be very limited to one or two games, one or two genres. While calling the people who are into indie games, simulators, Sims, Animal crossing etc "Casuals".

The way I see it, it would be like having the people only listening to the latest top 5 hit list of music calling those who have several albums of obscure music at home "casual music lovers".

I think it has to do with looter shooters being more "masculine" and life simulators and games that are more chill with no fighting or really any competition is seen as "feminine" so then feminine games or games with a higher female audience is seen as less of a game that "real gamers" play than games with a higher male audience.

I was thinking the same exact thing. It also makes me think of the "fake gamer girl" memes in the early 2010's where the joke was basically "lol im such a gamer I play farmville/bejeweled/candy crush". And its ALWAYS making fun of games in the casual/mobile market too!

And its not just mobile games that are apparently "not real games". Ive seen people say that playing Nintendo games doesnt make you a "ReAL GAmEr", since Im guessing that Nintendo has always had family friendly appeal with their games, rather than just catering solely with IP that had more mature theming. Apparently a "ReAL gAMe" needs actual challenge and skill for it to be considered a game, everything that isnt is just some fake baby or heaven forbid, a "giRL" game. And to that I say, "why dont you go spend time in Pokemon's competitive circles, and then come tell me that there's no challenge or skill there. Take your time, I'll wait."

If you ask me, the people that go around saying "that's not a real game" are just a bunch of gatekeepers who want gaming available to only a select few. They're probably the types that moan whenever there's a character that isnt white straight dude #174942653, a developer includes more accessibility options, claim that games should only be played on Dark Souls 3 level of difficulty, on a pc built by NASA. Its dumb. There's no checklist as to what makes a game a "real" game. Is it a game? Is it fun? Great! Its a real game.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I only play Sims 4 & Civilization IV alot myself. :p Also, I play Skip-Po, Kings-in-the-Corner & Uno with my Mom. <3 And once in a blue moon my Sims 3. B)
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    "Apparently a "ReAL gAMe" needs actual challenge and skill for it to be considered a game, everything that isnt is just some fake baby or heaven forbid, a "giRL" game."

Me thinking of raising 4 toddlers, 1 baby and 1 children at the same time with autonomy on and highchair, where I have sweat sometimes more than in the realm versus realm fights in gw2 many years ago or in heavy Boss fights.

Äh, I mean, sure, no challenge at all, I could handle it. B)

Sorry, I have nothing serious to contribute. :D
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I really don't care. If the manufacturers call it a game and I play it, it's a game. Solitaire and Bejewelled and such are games too, as was Pong.

As an oldie I'd advise those younger "Gamers" to concentrate on their education rather than playing games too much, unless they are so good that they can make a career out of it. This is from my experiences of reading too many Sci Fi and Romance novels before Computer games were invented! o:)
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Like most things, I consider Gaming to have Levels.

I felt if you play video games, or put most of your time into playing video games you are therefore a gamer, like playing video games brings you joy and you like to challenge yourself. you don’t have to have a lot of diversity for the games you play, or a lot of gaming consoles or platforms, or have a gaming rig set up in your home either.

Like me I Would consider myself a gamer I’m definitely no “hardcore/pro gamer,” but a gamer at best.

Even card games, checkers, chess, you are a gamer.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited October 2021
    I have to laugh about the "real gamer" thing. As someone else pointed out, I think that those who say that some gamers aren't "real" gamers are the ones who want to believe that only adrenaline games are "real games". I've played all sorts of games over the years; I have probably been playing games - not just video games, but dice-and-roleplaying games - long before some of those players were even a twinkle in their daddy's eye.

Also, my mother - who is 84 - is as avid a gamer as I am. The rest of our family doesn't understand it, but my mother will often forget to start making dinner because she's too involved in one of her games! :D
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,261 EA Community Manager
    I have to laugh about the "real gamer" thing. As someone else pointed out, I think that those who say that some gamers aren't "real" gamers are the ones who want to believe that only adrenaline games are "real games". I've played all sorts of games over the years; I have probably been playing games - not just video games, but dice-and-roleplaying games - long before some of those players were even a twinkle in their daddy's eye.

Also, my mother - who is 84 - is as avid a gamer as I am. The rest of our family doesn't understand it, but my mother will often forget to start making dinner because she's too involved in one of her games! :D

That is amazing! What types of games does she play?
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited October 2021
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,807 Member
    50b0ba33de6c47221cb56379ef8d5e4d.gif
    gen3-banner.png
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Do you even skate bro?
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I've never considered myself a 'gamer' or even a 'real gamer'. To me real gamers are hardcore gamers who never leave their seat, they eat, sleep, drink, use the bathroom at their pc playing the game of their choice. They eat and breathe the game they play. They don't talk about anything else, at all. Only a game. They have no interest in current events, religion, politics, other people, pets, life or anything outside their window, let alone any thing inside the room. They travel hundreds of miles to participate in competitions when hosted by their 'game'. If this isn't you then I can understand when someone says you aren't a real gamer...wait, how many hours do any of us sit and play The Sims...or look up and see it's twenty years later. I don't want to be a 'real gamer'.

If that’s being a ‘real gamer’….. I wouldn’t want to be one anyway. At my age not many of my friends game, and the few that do use their phone or tablets…. Lol. I love playing my games, but I love other things in life too!