March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Refresh - Get to Work

Comments

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Here's my thought: Wouldn't all these "thoughts and ideas" threads for pack refreshes better serve the community in the Ideas Corner of the Feedback section? That way people won't be confused into thinking some massive changes have happened or are about to happen.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited August 2021
    If I could update EP01 Get To Work, I will add these features :
    • Doctor NPC : Medicines are very dangerous products, no sim should use it without the approval of a doctor. Call a doctor like calling the firefighter.
    • Police Officer NPC : In San Myshuno, your sim ask gently to the noisy neighbor to make less noise but sometimes a Police Officer would be more convincing. Call the police to solve conflicts with the neighbors (Mediator role).
    • Retail lot as a visitor : It would be nice if the customers could behave normally. "Fast Food" retail lot should work like the Stall Vendor I mean let the customers sit and eat the products.
    • Aliens :
      • CAS : Copy/Link Alien form to Human disguise
      • Abduction : Let the playable aliens choose a target
      • Recipes : Alien fruits should have special effects
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    If I could update EP01 Get To Work, I will add these features :
    • Doctor NPC : Medicines are very dangerous products, no sim should use it without the approval of a doctor. Call a doctor like calling the firefighter.
    • Police Officer NPC : In San Myshuno, your sim ask gently to the noisy neighbor to make less noise but sometimes a Police Officer would be more convincing. Call the police to solve conflicts with the neighbors (Mediator role).
    • Retail lot as a visitor : It would be nice if the customers could behave normally. "Fast Food" retail lot should work like the Stall Vendor I mean let the customers sit and eat the products.
    • Aliens :
      • CAS : Copy/Link Alien form to Human disguise
      • Abduction : Let the playable aliens choose a target
      • Recipes : Alien fruits should have special effects

On doctors, maybe add meds, as well? Perhaps even make medicine a skill.

And alien fruits causing weird effects would be cool. Maybe use them in meds and chemistry?
  • Holly69Holly69 Posts: 9 New Member
    Aliens are pretty disappointing. I'd love to see them get some improvements with maybe more interactions, more consequences for being discovered as an alien, etc. They should give aliens more clothes options!! those alien suit things are ugly af. They could at least do something about the alien form/disguise CAS situation with maybe an option to mirror outfits between disguise and alien form.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Sixam, according to Sims 3, was a placce where the natives picked on you as a clueless foreigner. Wonder why the experience in Sims 4 is so different?
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited September 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    Get To Work is probably the first pack they should have refreshed, with so many more semi-active careers now.

I think all active/ semi active careers should have a workplace…. It seems like they nerfed the work places in other packs when a few people complained.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I would love to see multi lot categories. It would be good for shopping malls as well as for smaller town squares or shopping blocks with small shops. I do build combination lots, but they are only tagged Retail or Cafe or Restaurant. Still, my active sim can go there to "work", I can imagine him renting the place or working for others, mostly this is for my freelancers. But it would be nice being able to visit a shopping mall café without needing to hire the barista.

I'd also love being able to combine community lots and residential. Technically it should be all about finding a way to section up a lot. We did this when building TS2 hotels, specifying what area should be counting as a hotel room unit. It should be possible for TS4 as well.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    Home business (with the ticket machine from TS2 making a return)

Better aliens and liveable Sixam

Inventing skill

Bringing back Plantsims as an actual lifestate (this would be the perfect pack to do this with)

Branching Active Careers (inventor/mad scientist etc)

Make the police station, hospital and lab lots we can visit (but can't be edited like the Redacted Lab in Strangerville? Or can be edited but you can't save the lot unless it has everything needed for the career so it doesn't break anything?)

NPC jobs added for playable sims as basic careers (promotions have a raise but no special items etc)

Making all careers semi-active

Freelance scientist career

Burglars make their long awaited return in the base game, with more features if GTW is installed, and the criminal career/klepto trait have risks now.
  • simopolissimopolis Posts: 147 Member
    Home business (with the ticket machine from TS2 making a return)

Better aliens and liveable Sixam

Inventing skill

Bringing back Plantsims as an actual lifestate (this would be the perfect pack to do this with)

Branching Active Careers (inventor/mad scientist etc)

Make the police station, hospital and lab lots we can visit (but can't be edited like the Redacted Lab in Strangerville? Or can be edited but you can't save the lot unless it has everything needed for the career so it doesn't break anything?)

NPC jobs added for playable sims as basic careers (promotions have a raise but no special items etc)

Making all careers semi-active

Freelance scientist career

Burglars make their long awaited return in the base game, with more features if GTW is installed, and the criminal career/klepto trait have risks now.

THIS!!!
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Science is currently the best and least buggy job. All the jobs need to be brought up to its level.

And since this pack has police, why shouldn't we be given burgulary with it? Maybe put it in as Base Game.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • MwnbemeMwnbeme Posts: 26 Member
    It would be nice if they allowed access from the manage world and during gameplay for your sim to visit the hospital and other places. If you play a criminal mastermind aspiration you can actually spend time in the pokey. Sicknesses, fertility treatments, cosmetic surgery in the hospital, (cosmetic surgery would open cas but you could full edit the sim and it would cost $$), I would like to do a freelance scientist and be able to make and use items without having to unlock them through the actual scientist career.

Retail needs some serious streamlining. I have tried multiple times to run an in game baker but always get frustrated. Tasks take a long time to complete whether it is cleaning and restocking, or checking out customers. Make those run faster and you can implement the same job tasks you have set for the interactive careers. "Sales pitch a customer" "complete 3 sales" et cetra and this would help you earn retail points. Make hired employees work!! Same for doctor career, other employees need to work!! They can occasionally slack off but I want them actually working most of the time.

Make Sixam interesting. Add a nightclub, an alien market, it can be an alien lab and you can meet Alien pollination tech 3. Just something so it's not a dark barren, BORING, space that truthfully is now only eating up hard drive space because it's never being used.

I put this in a youtube comment for Simmer erin:
    "I love the interactive careers and want more of them. It might be nice to integrate the job system from GTW into other packs like Realm of Magic. Make it so to become a spellcaster or other supernatural you actually have steps to follow other than talk to the right person and done. I think the key to improving GTW would be to fix the employees so they actually do their tasks rather than standing around and chatting. Perhaps the multi-purpose lots can be achieved the same way as dance floors. In nightclubs you have a dance floor and that's where sims go to dance. Translating it to GTW businesses you have a special retail floor where sims on that will buy whatever objects are on that. You can add this retail floor into a museum and have a gift shop or to add a store to your home. I don't know how to translate this to other jobs. I like having my veterinarian live above the clinic. perhaps implement the door lock system (lock door for...) click on a room and select "make room residential"? that way those rooms behave like a standard home lot sims have to be invited in to access? This could be cool for "secret clubs" :)"
  • User007User007 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to write this...if it isn't please forgive me (and this also happens to be my first post ever); I didn't know any better. I just wanted to put out there a thing that bothers me a big deal about Get To Work and that I really wish it could be addressed by the Sims 4 team somehow in the future (one can only hope :( ).

The one thing I would like to see implemented is a TOGGLE in the gameplay section for "MALE PREGNANCY", so that it could be disabled by the player if they wished to do so.

It may sound weird to some, but every time I try to convince myself to buy the pack, I just can't. It gives me an icky feeling. I know it's just a game and that alien abduction was supposed to be a funny gimmick, but alien pregnancy feels more like blatant violation in my personal opinion. I just don't find it amusing or funny at all. It's just unsolicited, intruding behavior that feels like a camouflaged attempt at sexual assault. And that's it. I'm not asking for more.

PS: Thank you simopolis for creating the post... and to everyone commenting, you got a bunch of great ideas!!! :)
  • simopolissimopolis Posts: 147 Member
    The more I think about it the more it just makes sense to make all jobs active careers. Is your sim a comedian? They should have to go the lounge and perform. Is your sim a gardener? They should have to go the park and take care of plants. Is your sim a mixologist? They could make drinks at the club!!! This could prevent NPCs from being generated and allow for more ways to play the game!!! I’d also like to see active careers for fireman, postman, etc and the return of the burglar as an active option for criminal career. This just makes sense for the expansion pack focusing on work right?!! This could also work really well for the lore updates. Sara Scott could continue to be the bartender at the Gnombs Arms once played. Bob Pancakes could finally cater some birthdays, and Bella could go under cover at some swanky parties. Thoughts?
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,103 Member
    I don't think I could say anymore than has been said! More active/semi-active careers, a larger world, a liveable Sixam for those who play with aliens, more businesses to start...the possibilities are endless really. It would be really exciting!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    User007 wrote: »
    Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to write this...if it isn't please forgive me (and this also happens to be my first post ever); I didn't know any better. I just wanted to put out there a thing that bothers me a big deal about Get To Work and that I really wish it could be addressed by the Sims 4 team somehow in the future (one can only hope :( ).

The one thing I would like to see implemented is a TOGGLE in the gameplay section for "MALE PREGNANCY", so that it could be disabled by the player if they wished to do so.

It may sound weird to some, but every time I try to convince myself to buy the pack, I just can't. It gives me an icky feeling. I know it's just a game and that alien abduction was supposed to be a funny gimmick, but alien pregnancy feels more like blatant violation in my personal opinion. I just don't find it amusing or funny at all. It's just unsolicited, intruding behavior that feels like a camouflaged attempt at sexual assault. And that's it. I'm not asking for more.

PS: Thank you simopolis for creating the post... and to everyone commenting, you got a bunch of great ideas!!! :)

There's a button in CAS where you can choose if a sim can get pregnant or not. You just need to opt out for every male sim you play.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Most of the retail business I create in the world is for the benefit of my sims as customers, not owners.
    I use my shops to purchase items that they don't have the ability or interest to acquire through game-play.

The problem is the employees running the shops don't restock the items.
    Everything eventually runs out and I have to load up the owners of the shop just to have them restock.
    NPC employees should restock no matter if you are playing the owners of the shop or not.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • User007User007 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @crocobaura said:
    > There's a button in CAS where you can choose if a sim can get pregnant or not. You just need to opt out for every male sim you play.

Oh, thank you so much for letting me know! I do know about that feature in CAS mode, but I thought it didn't work with Get To Work expansion. I thought alien pregnancy would override that even if I opted out of it. I'm glad to know it doesn't. Thank you crocobaura for clarifying it for me. So it looks like I can buy the pack now after all...thanks! :)
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Better aliens is all I care about.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Better aliens is all I care about.

I would love Aliens that are treated like Vampires or Wizards. And better and consistent disguises
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2021
    Yes, Get to work does need an lot of tweaking especially in the Doctor field which I thought would be the best but was disappointed as my sim really carried the load and sometime my sim was doomed to fail in some task as the NPCs barely did their duties and left my poor Sim to do all the work. The Space field turned out to be the best for me but still can use some tweaking.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Something I haven't seen mentioned is new aspirations.

I'd love to have an aspiration to own a business (one for retail, restaurants and vet office too).

One or two for aliens with goals for either blending into Sim society, or standing out (under the social and mischief categories).

I'll also second making alien abduction into a lot challenge so that people who don't like that feature can just not add it and so avoid it.

I really would love aliens to get the vampire treatment and expand their abilities and interactions. Maybe even add their own sentiments.

The ability to become an alien via the science lab, more alien CAS features including clothing and the ability to copy between forms, and alien foods made with the plants that grow on Sixam.

The retail system and active jobs getting a facelift would also be nice.
  • HammerstarHammerstar Posts: 9 New Member
    Great ideas here, and one I'll add: The ticket machine from Open For Business for retail lots.

This is ultimately my biggest disappointment for Get to Work, simply because I remember in Sims 2 Open For Business, the ticket machine allowed one to run nearly any kind of business you can imagine, like dance clubs, gyms, whatever, because it simply charged an hourly rate for NPC sims to stay on the lot, and the better they were able to keep their needs up, the longer they'd stay. Of course it could be easily gamed by including things like beds and showers for the customers to stay almost indefinitely, but that's really up to the player.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Hopefully they also fix the objects not working in Get to Work. I have been playing a scientist and the Invention Constructor isn't working right and my sim is unable to build the rocket. Nothing appears when click on pad. I would like to see most of what all of you recommend. The ticket machine would be great for movie theaters, bowling, arcades and other activities as well. Definitely would like improved aliens!
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2021
    Get to Work, one of my all time faves, never had enough careers & cheats are needed to renovate lots. It was the 1st expansion, before toddlers & pets so it'd be more enjoyable if it was brought up to date & cross pack functionality improved. That way I could make a doggy day care, private eye or small town dr's office without mods.

The pack is based on active gameplay, so a few branches of base game careers should have that option available:
    Management - business
    Boss - criminal
    Bodybuilder - athlete

Aliens currently lack diversity in their original form. Would be nice if they:
    - recognized each other, even in disguise
    - like/dislike based on traits/preferences
    - have a couple more outfits with additional swatches
    - have access to all skin tones in alien form
    - have alien features cross over into disguise as an option

Retail needs
    -a tablet register
    -cash app added to phone
    -toddler mannequins
    -new color swatches for existing items
    -a new style of furniture/fixtures w/ a few color swatches

Of course, I have many more ideas, but then again we gotta lot of packs.
  • ArrojacastArrojacast Posts: 24 Member
    I just picked up GTW recently, but from my limited experience with it I'd say the top 3 things I'd liked to see added/changed for a refresh would be
    1: Improved Aliens (I like what they have, but there is a lot of room for improvement, and some aspects such as being ousted as an alien and mind wiping seem buggy)
    2: Aspirations, relating to the career paths and aliens
    3: More direct integration withe detective career. If I have a criminal/evil sim, I would like the possibility that my detective sim can end up hunting them down and arresting them. It'd be awesome for storytelling!