Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you use the "insightful" button for?

2...Next

Comments

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    For informative, accurate, detailed comments
    I stopped using it for some time after I read about the "other meaning" of it, from several different threads. Before that and now it is the option I picked.

See Ive seen people say theyre suspicious that some are using insightful as a disagree so i wondered if its true 😆
    Haha, yes , @StrawberryYogurt , I agree with @bluedanube , there, and would be really curious to see the results if the poll would be private. :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited October 2021
    I think those points only exist as a form of motivating greater engagement on the forum, getting people to post more. I don't know anyone with a lot of them due to sheer time spent or number of posts made, who even bothers looking at how many of them they have anymore. The presence of "points" for reactions from others on social media, is a problem getting more recognized: that people start becoming more concerned with getting "likes" to the point that they deliberately tailor their posts in hopes of harvesting more little tokens of social approval online, and in a sense become dependent on them, for that momentary, fleeting rush that accompanies any sign of social approval from others.

Some platforms giving users the option to hide "likes" do so in an attempt to help users' emotional state in response to using the platform, after it became clear that performing for tokens of approval was deleterious to many users' wellbeing.

If there's not an option to hide those likes and other responses here, it would be a good thing to include going forward.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    For comments that are meaningful and thoughtful
    I chose the last one but I actually use them for all of the above, except dislike.

If I learn something, or they state their point clearly, I'll give an insightful. If it's funny, an awesome, or if I just like it, a like.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited October 2021
    I have never seen anyone say that it's for "disagree" and I've been in this forum since it was the Sims 3 forum. Where did anyone see this and are you sure they didn't make it up so you'd give people insightfuls?
    I don't know anyone with a lot of them due to sheer time spent or number of posts made, who even bothers looking at how many of them they have anymore.

I didn't even notice we got points for awhile. Then when I did, I looked up what they were for (nothing) and then never looked at them again. They don't do anything.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    For comments with a unique P.O.V or based comments
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I have never seen anyone say that it's for "disagree" and I've been in this forum since it was the Sims 3 forum. Where did anyone see this and are you sure they didn't make it up so you'd give people insightfuls?
    I don't know anyone with a lot of them due to sheer time spent or number of posts made, who even bothers looking at how many of them they have anymore.

I didn't even notice we got points for awhile. Then when I did, I looked up what they were for (nothing) and then never looked at them again. They don't do anything.

A lot of people have said it and also why would anyone who's nice would give people insightfuls to disagree just cuz someone says so? 😂 Also, I've been lurking around this forum often to know that some posts aren't meant to be "insightful" or helpful, but still get one insightful tag so you know the person who did that was being sarcastic.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited October 2021
    DeKay wrote: »
    A lot of people have said it

A search here and on google shows that there were a couple threads about this in 2015 and 2016 and that's it. But if you say so, there are millions of posts on this site after all, they could be hiding in unrelated threads and I missed them.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    For comments that are meaningful and thoughtful
    I use it if a comment has been particularly insightful. If I really learned from the post something that I didn't know before or it made me think, I click that button. I've never used it in a mean way.

Frankly, I'm not interested in a dislike button and don't think it's necessary. People like to play in different ways and I think a dislike button would be an unnecessary way of having others express to a player what they dislike. What's the actual point of that? All that matters is that the player enjoys playing. You do you.

There are some common differences of opinion in terms of how people like to play but I don't think it's necessary to dislike other posts. If they are really bad then they get flagged or modded out which makes sense.

I had wondered if some people use it sarcastically and it's refreshing to see that most don't.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member

A search here and on google shows that there were a couple threads about this in 2015 and 2016 and that's it. But if you say so, there are millions of posts on this site after all, they could be hiding in unrelated threads and I missed them.

That's it, usually that issue pops up in totally unrelated thread, I have not even seen it having it's own thread anywhere, and I was not here 2015-2016. For example in unpopular opinions thread, it has been a subject for several times.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina

That's it, usually that issue pops up in totally unrelated thread, I have not even seen it having it's own thread anywhere, and I was not here 2015-2016. For example in unpopular opinions thread, it has been a subject for several times.

I can see why it might pop up in that thread. It's akin to someone thinking lollypops are the epitome of insults and having the person they give one to walk away happy instead of hurt.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member

@lisamwitt, someone created a thread back in 2016 asking if the "Is "insightful" the new disagree?" and some people in that thread claims that's what they used it for.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14687783#Comment_14687783

And here is one from 2015 pretty much asking the same thing.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14223214#Comment_14223214

I use it for Formative, Accurate detailed comments and especially if the info in the post is something that I'd never knew about in whichever Sims game that I play in... :)