Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifespan….

So I’m curious has anyone ever played a lifespan in the Sims like “real life”? Like having the seasons on like we do in the real world and having aging on for a long time? I saw someone on Instagram kind of doing that and I wasn’t sure if that was a thing or if it got boring or what? I sort of kind of like the idea but at the same time I like the fact that stuff happens faster in the sims. My question is if you’ve done sims with the real life lifespan, what have been your thoughts about it?
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I play rotationally and have aging turned off most of the time.
  • Options
    QuaayQuaay Posts: 557 Member
    edited October 2021
    I play with aging off, longest seasons available, and mod pregnancy to last at least 3 seasons. I like to keep babies in that stage for at least 4 seasons and toddlers for 12 seasons. I have different saves so I never get bored. One issue I have right now though is a Sim had an affair with the Cottage Living pub owners husband and I have to wait like 6 months irl to find out who the father of her baby is lol.

Edited to add: 2nd trimester in 12 days! >.<

CeldGIU.png
    Post edited by Quaay on
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I truly admire people who play that way. I'm afraid I would be too impatient. But maybe I should try it once!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I'd be bored out of my mind if it took 2,000 in-game days (18 years at 28x4=112 days per year) to raise up a kid. I play on normal lifespan, aging off outside of played lots (for rotation reasons), and have a general rule about aging:

- Babies are aged up once they're Good Friends with both parents, using standard interactions with the crib
    - Toddlers age up the hot minute they reach Lv5 in all toddler skills and Lv3 in potty
    - Children and teens get their full life stage to rack up skill development and to get all the childhood aspirations plus all 9 scouting badges
    - Once they're young adults, they go to college or move out on their own.

If that took forever and an age, it'd discourage me from doing it.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I think playing on a real time life span would be boring, it would be pretty much the same as turning ageing off which I also find boring. I like my game to be forever changing and evolving over time.
  • Options
    Rabellaka_SimmingRabellaka_Simming Posts: 46 Member
    I also have aging off for other households, so I can play rotationally.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Oh, dear gods, I find the long lifespan too long when I have aging on lol. I play on a modified Normal lifespan, that is longer than the regular normal but not nearly as long as Long - about double Normal. That's long enough, thank you very much. However, on my Ultimate Sim Legacy/Genetacy saves, I play with aging off and have rules on when they age up.

- Babies age up immediately into toddlers.
    - Toddlers age up when they learn all their skills to level 5 - Potty has to be at least level 2, but it doesn't HAVE to be 3, though it usually is.
    - Children age up when they have completed the childhood aspirations.
    - Teens age up when they have all the character values maxed.
    - YA's age up when they finish their 1st degree.
    - Adults age up when they've finished the careers.

It's a thing lol.
  • Options
    SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    I usually just play with aging off. I age babies up after 3 days because they cry too much. For toddlers, I age them up when they max all skills or when I get bored. I age up kids after they receive an A, I’m not really focused on aspirations, unless it plays into their storyline. Teens age up with an A as well.
    As far as seasons go, I usually run spring and summer on 28 days, because I tend to send my sims fishing a lot.
    Fall and winter lasts anywhere between 7 and 14 days. It really just depends on my mood lol.
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,878 Member
    I feel like longer lifespan would make gaining skills, promotions, aspirations, generational wealth etc. easier than I want it to be. The game is pretty easy already. I don't want all my kids to be gifted or all my professionals to reach the top of their career.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Thanks for the input! For now I think I'll just stick it out to just the normal settings they already have in game. I do sort of want to try the normal life span but I too think I'd get way too bored of doing the same old same old and nothing changes.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I play on long and I get impatient playing on that setting, but its the only way I feel like I can tell a proper story. I just let the season change and don't pay too much attention to them.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    edited October 2021
    After giving a try on different lifespans I found out that the best way to play for me it is using Normal Lifespan and, whenever I want more days within the age, also using the Potion of Youth. Usually I only stop using potions when my Sims complete an aspiration (I like them to die at the end of their lives with something like 5-7 traits).

Seasons usually takes 14 days because it isn't so long as 28 neither so short as 7 days.

Edit: it takes a while until you snowball sufficient (considering you're playing rotational) to see Sims around town doing all sort of unexpected things based on acquired skills, traits and items.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I need an option between Normal and Long.

I've been playing on the long lifespan in my current save, because I wanted to play university students in a rotational save without turning aging off, but it's too long for the non student households. I altered the age spans slightly with MCCC in the save I was previously playing before the current one. I'm beginning to wish I turned aging on for all households instead of played household only.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    I was playing with my lifespans on four time the long length but lost patience waiting for the babies to age up. So now I'm playing with only two times the long span, it is nice being able to rotate between all my households and keep aging on without worrying about anyone aging up too soon.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I have 4 saves, and I have aging turned on in one of them. I have it set for normal lifespan, but thinking about setting it to fast--I only play that save once in awhile, so it takes a very long time for someone to age up
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I feel like longer lifespan would make gaining skills, promotions, aspirations, generational wealth etc. easier than I want it to be. The game is pretty easy already. I don't want all my kids to be gifted or all my professionals to reach the top of their career.

Every so often I'll rotate over to an NPC household and level up their careers close to or at the top. I think of my simworld as a fairly affluent place along the lines of the rich suburbs of cities like San Francisco or Washington, DC, the places that in the real world have median household incomes over $100,000.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    It'ld be too long for me...
    I play 90 sim days:
    - baby 2 days (0 to 2 years old)
    - toddler 2 days (3 to 4 years old)
    - children 7 days (5 to 11 years old)
    - teenager 14 days (12 to 25 years old)
    - young adult 21 days (26 to 46 years old)
    - adult 27 days (47 to 73 years old)
    - elder 17+ days (74 to 90+ years old)

That way my sims can help their grandchildren grow... I'm just noticing i play the teenage years a bit more than what it should be, maybe i should take a few years from that span and add it to ya...
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited October 2021
    There is at least one regular poster who syncs the seasons in game with real life (can’t remember who). I wouldn’t enjoy that. Sometimes in the dead of winter, it’s nice to pretend it’s sunny and warm. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in winter in my game, too. But mostly I would just get tired of being in the same season for so long. I also don’t see the point.

I was playing with aging on long lifespan for a while, and it was nice to not feel rushed to get things done. But man, it got boring when my adults ran out of things to do. They got to the top of their careers almost immediately (they had degrees) and they had hobbies but they mastered those, too. And sometimes it would make sense to add another hobby or interest. But it was tiring to keep remembering them all and I just wasn’t inspired anymore to play them. I wish there was an option between normal and long lifespans. Normal can feel like a rush to get things done and I don’t take part in as many social events. And it could feel like by the time my sim reached the top of their career, they were an elder and just about dead. But I don’t use a mod for lifespan yet.

Whichever lifespan is chosen, the young adult + adult lifespan is disproportionately short compared to the younger life stages. I always have my sims drink a potion of youth so their kids have time to grow up (and maybe have grandkids for them they’ll live to meet.) My ideal time to do this is when they’ve reached the end of Adulthood, they reset back to beginning of Adult and I make them look middle-aged. I feel this is the missing age group.

I could never play with aging permanently off or in sync with real life. I want to see them through the generations.
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I play on custom settings using MCCC. I like to play with longer lifespans because I really enjoy making long and intricate stories with my sims and even default long feels too short for me. I use story progression, too, and I feel like ageing off makes my world feel stagnant. I love watching my town have their own life and family and grow old and pass on. I love seeing the family trees they create, too.

Seasons: 2 weeks each
    I've left pregnancy alone at 3 days.
    Babies: 4 days
    Toddlers: 42 days
    Children: 56 days
    Teen: 56 days
    Young Adult: 112 days
    Adult: 196 days
    Elder: 112 days

I do pause ageing from time to time if I need to spend more time on a certain storyline. Babies are short because there's just not much to do with them until they age up. If they ever remake that life stage, I'll definitely add more time to it.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Most of the time I'll keep aging turned off, and seasons set to the longest time span. From time to time I'll turn on aging, set to longest setting, for everyone just to move the progress along. This way infants will age up, toddlers age up, and so on. If I am playing anyone in college I'll turn to age off for everyone.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited October 2021
    I play on long lifespan and think it works the best for me. I feel like I get more fun stuff done in the game or I'm able to better tell a story.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I'm certain I'd get bored with a real life length Sims game. I've always played on Short life because I'm too anxious to see how the next generation and the next and so on will turn out. Its just been very recent that I can make myself play on normal life span. RL would be too much for me.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I've never in my life yet played with aging on, but for the longest time I would spend ages making a Sim and building a house, start playing for like, 3 Sim days and get bored anyway. I don't know why, but I have COMPLETELY gone the other way now. I still take some time over a Sim and house, but I am much more of a 'player' now, so I am almost certainly going to start playing with aging at normal. I don't know if I'll be able to bear it when animals die though. It's too sad when even animals that are just pixels die!! :D
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    I play rotation and I usually have aging turned off. What I normally do is use seasons to track the passage of time.

All my merfolk and vampires are immortal. It's a play on the beauty of eternal youth for merfolk. I'm a bit upset that immortals of different generations can't all be young adults.

Anyways, I age my sims manually. After reading this thread, I might age sims up if their rotation falls on the winter season.

Teens will probably get aged up if I decide that it's time. When Teens age up, that's when character values turn into special traits.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    never and i keep aging fully turn off and will never let my simsage or die
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(