Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question About Produce

Could someone please tell me what is the purpose of a green bean or a green pea in the game? There are no receipes that calls for them and the only use I could find was they sometimes are good as gifts to bunnies, otherwise there's no use and I don't grow them anymore.
In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Are they not used for anything? Odd. Well, I grow them for similar reasoning as the other harvestables prior to the cooking update: just to have them in my fridge and available. Green beans are pretty common local fair where I live, so that is reason enough for me.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    To sell? They also count as "any vegetable," if that matters to you.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I think they sell for more than many other veggies, + they do go into salads etc, just not required. Would like to know if they come with any particular advantage though, as we can't grow everything and different families might make different selections.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • LoveDesiLoveDesi Posts: 15 Member
    I have wondered the same thing on a few other good items. I'm guessing you could sell them, experiment with them. Make potions or hustle eat for nutritional purposes.😊🤷🏾
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Thanks for the responses. I just wondered as I have all sorts of cc receipes and none of them called for green beans or peas. With the gardening borked, forever it seems, there is just so much stuff my sims can plant and then take care of, so I tend to ignore the beans and peas.

Interesting posts!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I would imagine any recipe that calls for any vegetable, they would qualify for. We all must eat our greens, you know. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    If we ever get more pack refreshes, adding a few more recipes wouldn't be a bad thing IMO. Green bean casserole, guacamole (avocados in JA), etc.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    If we ever get more pack refreshes, adding a few more recipes wouldn't be a bad thing IMO. Green bean casserole, guacamole (avocados in JA), etc.

I hope for this, too! Especially for Preserves. Looks like they deliberately missed out on lots of crops from other packs, would love to see preserves using Lemon, Elderberry and some more that I can't recall right now. Should be pretty easy adding some more options to the list of canning recipes, might come in a patch. Also wish for more ways to use fish that we caught - can they be canned? Granny's Delicious Fish Jam"?, LOL.

I hope for this, too! Especially for Preserves. Looks like they deliberately missed out on lots of crops from other packs, would love to see preserves using Lemon, Elderberry and some more that I can't recall right now. Should be pretty easy adding some more options to the list of canning recipes, might come in a patch. Also wish for more ways to use fish that we caught - can they be canned? Granny's Delicious Fish Jam"?, LOL.

I can get behind this - and I think canning should be its own skill, rather than tied to cooking. Like Gourmet Cooking, you have to have x in cooking maybe, but its own skill! A kit related to this would be cool, maybe start to fill in the various hobbies with recipes, etc? I dunno, just thinking out loud.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I'm on board the bandwagon of making a lot more recipes using the wide variety of produce in the game! I say this even though most of my played sims never need to eat; they still feed their kids or host dinner parties. For me, it's part of an overall philosophy of game design that "if something exists in a game with a crafting system, the player should be able to craft it." I've been spoiled rotten by the legion of games that take their inspiration from Minecraft.

Lately, however, I've been farming carrots pretty much exclusively as part of an ongoing effort to overcome a gender imbalance in my simworld without resorting to mods. The game's spawned tons of female townies but very few men. As long as the game keeps THAT particular means of influencing baby gender, everyone with the space is going to have a garden even if they never otherwise eat!
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I just wondered as I have all sorts of cc receipes and none of them called for green beans or peas. With the gardening borked, forever it seems, there is just so much stuff my sims can plant and then take care of, so I tend to ignore the beans and peas.

Interesting posts!

Graft them so there are multiple types on one plant?

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I actually like that there are so many recipes that call for "any vegetable" as it gives me more flexibility for meal planning.

However, I do miss one little bit of coding from TS3. You could make pancakes with any fruit, for example, but then when you hovered over the plate or serving dish, it would actually say strawberry pancakes, peach pancakes, etc.

I loved that, because it was technically only one recipe, which made scrolling through the menu options tidier, but it added a little color to gameplay.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

Interesting posts!

I try to graft plants of similar types/seasons together, like all the berries or the Herbalism plants (huckleberry/muckleberry, fireleaf/poison fireleaf, etc.) to save space in the garden.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    I used to be a big fan of grafting, when the gardening wasn't glitched, but the problem with grafting is the amount of produce is drastically reduced, like my sim harvests one each from every grafted plant. My sims used to have huge gardens, grafted plants for the less needed produce and single plants for the most used, like onions. I had a great mod that increases the number of harvestables for each plant but I think it needs updating as it doesn't work for me anymore...phooey.

Again, thanks for all the discussions and ideas. <3
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Interesting posts!

I try to graft plants of similar types/seasons together, like all the berries or the Herbalism plants (huckleberry/muckleberry, fireleaf/poison fireleaf, etc.) to save space in the garden.

I do the same - I actually don't mind that I don't get as many harvestables, as I usually end up with more than my Sim could ever use. It cuts down on the gardening work, too, if you need a large variety of harvestables. (If you're playing a 'simple living' lot, or trying to get the ingredients for animal treats, you can end up with a rather extensive garden.) It also cuts down on the amount of fertiliser needed, which can be a challenge.

I would like more recipes that use some of the harvestables that are otherwise simply 'any fruit' or 'any vegetable'. Also, I'd like to be able to select 'any fruit' or 'any vegetable'. I have to keep some items that do have specific uses, or that are needed for fertiliser (growfruit) in the storage box so that they don't get used to make animal treats.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited October 2021

Interesting posts!

I do the same - I actually don't mind that I don't get as many harvestables, as I usually end up with more than my Sim could ever use. It cuts down on the gardening work, too, if you need a large variety of harvestables. (If you're playing a 'simple living' lot, or trying to get the ingredients for animal treats, you can end up with a rather extensive garden.) It also cuts down on the amount of fertiliser needed, which can be a challenge.

I would like more recipes that use some of the harvestables that are otherwise simply 'any fruit' or 'any vegetable'. Also, I'd like to be able to select 'any fruit' or 'any vegetable'. I have to keep some items that do have specific uses, or that are needed for fertiliser (growfruit) in the storage box so that they don't get used to make animal treats.

I totally agree. I am currently reviewing all the produce used in recipes. They’ve changed with the new ingredients in Cottage Living. I’m quite sure pancakes used to require fruit, for example. But they don’t now. So there are a bunch of online sources that need to be updated for those who own CoL.

So far, I can’t find a reason to grow pears. I can’t even can them or make a pear pie (they are delicious if you haven’t tried them). So what can they be used for besides a recipe that calls for “any fruit”? I have a bajillion raspberries, apples, lemons, etc so I will never need pears unless there is a recipe I haven’t come across yet (do tell). Same with cherries, grapes, pomegranates, (ETA: pomegranates are required for superfood salad apparently) ... and don’t get me started on the vegetables. All I can do is turn them into friendly animal treats (which greatly increases the value if you just want to sell everything) but I have to separate all the ingredients I want to save from the fridge first, or else my oversized lettuce will be used up again. It’s even more frustrating that I can’t put that oversized lettuce in a chest, we can’t “take all” from the chest, and we have no filtering options in fridges and chests, which seem to jumble all their contents up with no rhyme or reason.

And I am not even bothering to grow herbs anymore because I can get enough just from opening seed packets. Sage used to be my go-to plant to graft onto because they are in season all year, but the piles of worthless sage have been getting to me. Can’t even make animal treats with them.
    Post edited by babajayne on
    edited October 2021
    Sage is used in a few recipes though? If I remember right. I'll check.

ETA: Everything Bagels uses sage, Artisan Herb Bread you can use either sage or basil...and that seems to be it now. Huh.
    Sage is used in a few recipes though? If I remember right. I'll check.

ETA: Everything Bagels uses sage, Artisan Herb Bread you can use either sage or basil...and that seems to be it now. Huh.
    Thanks for checking on it. I really need to load a save with someone who has baking and gourmet cooking maxxed. And I need to check grills, too.

I’m not going to sweat it if I can make blueberry bagels, plain bagels or onion bagels, although I love an everything bagel irl.
    So I went through all the regular cooking recipes, gourmet cooking, baking (oven and cupcake machine), experimental, grilled, and sulani-specific. My sim doesn’t know many City Living recipes.

There is an avocado dish that doesn’t require avocado. There’s a sausage & peppers recipe that doesn’t require the green pepper, which isn’t specifically called for in any recipe. The green beans and peas were nowhere to be found. Nothing calls for grapes, cherries, pears or blackberries that will not take a different fruit substitute - strawberries and apples will get it done. Pineapple and taro are useful in specific Sulani grill pit recipes, coconut useful for one cake, and these are so infrequently used by me, I won’t bother with them (or even kava because I can still purchase it to make it even with Simple Living on).

I’m also going to turn my oversized crops into preserves right away because they actually go father that way in recipes and the preserves won’t get used up in animal treats. I don’t know who makes salad out of jarred lettuce conserve, but apparently it can be done in the game.
    Love the answers!

I use the "spare" fruit to make fizzy sodas, in my childhood we had sodas with fruity names, Nehi Grape, Orange, Strawberry, so that's what I name my sodas.

My spellcasters need all kinds of ingredients for potions, sage, potatoes, apples, and others I can't think of right now. My herbalists and jungle explorers need lots of insect repellent which means lots of basil and noxious elderberries. My sims in HoB always keep an extra blueberry, strawberry, blackberry in their inventories for the bunnies and birds...nevermind the canning and baking. :)

• 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    Ingredients are badly coded in this game. There is no way to program them to check whether a player has the pack installed that they came with. That is why you won't find recipes calling specifically for peas, avocado or bell pepper. It would make the recipe unusable for players who do not have the respective pack.
    It's also the main reason I had to get rid of my moreingredientsrequired mod after CoL released.
    I really wish they would add more code to check whether a certain EP is installed. They were one of the strenght's of TS2 programming.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
    I do miss that too, Bienchen. Of course, you know the code better than I do! So many recipes require nothing that should - and I swear sage was required for a lot more that are now just any herb. Seems like they changed a lot with CoL.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Love the answers!

I use the "spare" fruit to make fizzy sodas, in my childhood we had sodas with fruity names, Nehi Grape, Orange, Strawberry, so that's what I name my sodas.

My spellcasters need all kinds of ingredients for potions, sage, potatoes, apples, and others I can't think of right now. My herbalists and jungle explorers need lots of insect repellent which means lots of basil and noxious elderberries. My sims in HoB always keep an extra blueberry, strawberry, blackberry in their inventories for the bunnies and birds...nevermind the canning and baking. :)

That's a good point - there are a number of herbalist and spellcasting potions that require a specific plant, and not only the special plants that came with the game packs. I think basil is the one I needed for the tummy therapy, which is useful off the grid, because Sims seem to be prone to eating unripe fruits and veggies.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    For anyone interested I started a mini database with ingredients and recipes inspired by Cottage Living, some time ago. I had no time to complete it, so I've not announced it quite yet (a few errors in thee might occur), but I sometime find it useful even if it's "in the works". You will i.e. find most ingredients and can then see all recipes that ingredients can be used for. Info include needed skills, cost and number servings, but the latter got a bit confusing. My database bases on regular recipes, the "simple living" had too much variation to find a good way to include both, but basically one needs more ingredients with the SL challenge.

Re Pears, they are mentioned as one of a few fruits for Fruit pie and Fruitcake. I did not find any exclusive recipe with them, but in my game I often set a trad recipe for a family, like I could make fruit pie with pear their trad, and therefore have a good excuse to grow those pears. Or they could make a business from selling prepared food with certain ingredients. I'm fine with "any fruit/veggie as long as we can add a little imagination ourselves ;)

@Simmerville Not to harp on it but the “pear” pie still says “fruit pie” and has pink filling. But thank you for confirming it’s not exclusively called for in any recipes.