Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you use the "insightful" button for?

The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

What do you use the "insightful" button for? 44 votes

For informative, accurate, detailed comments
63%
icmnfrshlisamwittCamkatIsb917simgirl1010KennziKaigeLiziann1lisasc360pammiechickannaliese3983bienchenKelvincalipossMMXhappyopilogionAmandèleWildIrishBansheeSeashoreLiviaAyKooChao 28 votes
For comments I dislike or disagree with
4%
CAPTAIN_NXR7WritingAndSimming 2 votes
For comments with a unique P.O.V or based comments
11%
BridgetKVDeKayxLunaSimsxsinnyoncesimopolis 5 votes
For comments that are meaningful and thoughtful
20%
RepoBabykittyjadeChampandGirlieSweetieWright_84cyncieAlpineCuriosityKendranaSERVERFRAWhatCobblers 9 votes

Comments

• BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    I wish there was a dislike button tbh.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited October 2021
    I think 1 and 4 overlap a lot for me, but I chose 1 because if I learned something from your comment I am marking it as insightful. That can and does include option 3.

2, though... I don't really understand doing that one when you can just respond. I would agree that different viewpoints can be quite insightful, but not solely due to the fact that I disagree with A, B, or C.

I actually agree that general agree and disagree buttons are rather useful. The other forum I frequent has them. I've been on the receiving end of a number of disagreement reactions and find it odd to be very sensitive of it in a discussion based, anonymous environment.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I think it's all of that for me except for the 'for comments I dislike'.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    BridgetKV wrote: »

Once upon a time there was, but it makes me sad when I get dislikes. 😂😂 Like it made me wonder what I said was wrong, etc etc. I'm kinda an overthinker sometimes. I usually don't care if people disagree with me but I rather they quote my post and elaborate on why they disagree or dsilike my comment instead of just giving me a dislike, ya know? XD I'm actually glad they took it out.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    DeKay wrote: »

Once upon a time there was, but it makes me sad when I get dislikes. 😂😂 Like it made me wonder what I said was wrong, etc etc. I'm kinda an overthinker sometimes. I usually don't care if people disagree with me but I rather they quote my post and elaborate on why they disagree or dsilike my comment instead of just giving me a dislike, ya know? XD I'm actually glad they took it out.

Would a "disagree" button be better than a "dislike" button? For me, it is actually kind of rare for people to single out parts of my posts to discuss, so it gives me a good idea if my general points are agreed with or not.
    Calico45 wrote: »

Would a "disagree" button be better than a "dislike" button? For me, it is actually kind of rare for people to single out parts of my posts to discuss, so it gives me a good idea if my general points are agreed with or not.

After thinking about it for a second, I think disagree would be better than dislike. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do wish that there were reaction buttons that weren't synonymous with 'like.' My general philosophy is that where there's a like button, there should be a disagree/dislike button just to have a more accurate gauge of the public reaction to it. Otherwise, it can feel disingenuine sometimes.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    All except the dislike. I don't see how insightful = dislike? Google says in·sight·ful
    /inˈsītfəl,ˈinsītfəl/
    adjective
    having or showing an accurate and deep understanding; perceptive.
    "thank you for all the insightful comments"

I use it most when I learn something from a poster or think it's just good or interesting information.
    Really there is no reason to not like a post at all unless someone is just trolling. We are just all here sharing opinions rather we disagree or not🙂 just because I might disagree with an opinion it doesn't mean I dislike it.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    I feel the same way, @BridgetKV. I appreciate the positive reactions I receive, but this system also means we don't have the nuance to generally know if people are neutral or disagree.

Yes, they can quote you or tag you to disagree (or even agree), but beyond requiring a fair bit of involvement (so only the people with stronger feelings will probably do it) some people may find that more aggressive/offensive.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    I use it for insightful posts, so basically all of your choices except things I dislike.
    @BridgetKV There was. They removed it and the LOL button.
    edited October 2021
    I feel the same way, @BridgetKV. I appreciate the positive reactions I receive, but this system also means we don't have the nuance to generally know if people are neutral or disagree.

Yes, they can quote you or tag you to disagree (or even agree), but beyond requiring a fair bit of involvement (so only the people with stronger feelings will probably do it) some people may find that more aggressive/offensive.

@Calico45 I completely agree. The last thing I want is to come off as aggressive and I don't always have the energy to leave a "I disagree and here's why" on someone's post.
    haneul wrote: »
    @BridgetKV There was. They removed it and the LOL button.

@haneul That's unfortunate. :(
    edited October 2021

For me personally, they're no different cuz people would use them interchangeably if let's say only one of the buttons is available.

After thinking about it for a second, I think disagree would be better than dislike. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do wish that there were reaction buttons that weren't synonymous with 'like.' My general philosophy is that where there's a like button, there should be a disagree/dislike button just to have a more accurate gauge of the public reaction to it. Otherwise, it can feel disingenuine sometimes.

The idea of it sounds reasonable but from my experience, sometimes I get dislikes for posts that weren't even meant to get a general ratio of who likes or who doesn't like it. Sometimes, I like to post just for entertainment purposes or as a joke. But then, I would still get this kinda "negative" reaction to it, when it's easier to just not hit the "dislike" button.

It's just like how there are people here who use the insighful button as a form of sarcasm when they disagree with something. Imagine that amount of pettiness. 😂 Now imagine how it will be like if they bring a dislike button.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I do like theres no dislike button, i think once something gets disliked it goes on a train and people are more likely to dislike seeing others have (same as likes) and especially for younger or sensitive simmers this can have a negative effect on them. Its more helpful to reply if you disagree and want to talk, promotes discussion imo

• Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    If I use the insightful button it is either for the reasons of 1, 3 and 4.

If I do disagree I am one of the rare ones? who are vocal though some may take that for meaning I am seeking attention, argumentative, combative, aggressive, mean, etc. Ever since a child I never truly grew out of that innocence of speaking my mind except now that I am older I am aware of what I say and how that may impact someone else. However, there is a fine line between intention and while my intention is usually artless unless in retaliation or short temper. I can tell others intention can be passive aggressive or outright condescending, rude and so on.

From I what I notice is that some people expect others to cater to their insecurities and would rather you tell them a lie than tell the truth. Because at least the lie makes them feel good I suppose even when that is damaging to not face the truth within theirself and keep living the lie. So to never or delay to confront their own demons and choose not to learn and grow to be a better version of theirself. Some are too sensitive and take every single thing as an insult and something to be offended about.

Also, some are so concerned with how others view them and wanting to fit in and be a part of the in-crowd that they will even do or say things that they normally wouldn't without the peer pressure. Regardless, still wrong as two left shoes. Unfortunately, how many can lose themselves in the hypocrisy of the world.

Anyway, I preferred having the dislike, disagree and LOL buttons. I had plenty of disagrees and dislikes but you know...it does not affect me because I like and agree with me. I do not expect everyone to feel the same. Sure, there will always be bad apples inappropriately using buttons to convey their snark and miserable selves, but that is their lost not mine. I do not give permission to anyone to make me feel any kind of way that I do not want to. Like water off a duck's back.

Now, despite that those buttons are not in effect I do believe some are using the Awesome button to showcase their disagree. I have not noticed using the insightful for a negative connotation though but I guess that can happen too.

Another thing: I think it is quite unhealthy to focus on only the likes, agrees, and awesomes to the point where some use that to validate their self worth. It is not a good outlook as well as not being able to handle diversity though I will admit some are intentionally derrière. Misery loves company, but I am not miserable person.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    Deshong04 wrote: »

Now, despite that those buttons are not in effect I do believe some are using the Awesome button to showcase their disagree. I have not noticed using the insightful for a negative connotation though but I guess that can happen too.

See Ive seen people say theyre suspicious that some are using insightful as a disagree so i wondered if its true 😆

I do appreciate your individuality and integrity to stick beside what you know to be right. I can respect that. I think likes/dislikes do affect some though, because of their upbringing, personality, or things theyve experienced in life. Some were never taught a proper sense of self. Others because of their personality just are more easily influcenced than others. Since this forum is a form of social media too, im glad there are still ways to express yourself without it damaging somes mental health. But if it comes to some strong stress or degree, using the mute button is good to avoid trolls or hurtful people, or not using the site at all if you come across content thats not good for you.

• WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited October 2021
    I use it for nearly all of the options (I'm not sure what a based comment is) except option B, because
    1) Insightful does not mean dislike or disagree. It means the sharing of knowledge or insight into a subject that you previously didn't know about.
    2) My interpretation of this forum was that it is a place to share conversations and interests without fear of harassment or getting silenced by others who feel their opinion is better/ right/ etc.

I'm actually quite shocked that there used to be a dislike button. Unless a comment is offensive, trolling and/or discriminatory (in which case I would report/ flag them instead), I don't really understand the need to give someone a 'dislike' or a 'disagree' without posting a reason. No one is being forced to listen or agree with anyone here.

I'm in agreement with some of the above posts in that the potential for causing hurt and effects on mental health would be a real problem if the dislike button came back. I really hope it never does because that just seems a really unkind thing to do to someone.
    There are billions of human beings in the world so it is surely inevitable that not everyone is going to have the same interests or opinions.

Sorry to moan on but I was taught growing up, "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything," so I really struggle to understand the need some people seem to have on social media (and in real life too) to spread negativity and bring others down.
    Post edited by WhatCobblers on
    bluedanube wrote: »

BTW O.P. (@StrawberryYogurt), bold of you to assume that anybody who is guilty of your second option will just freely expose themselves for the entire forum to see :D . I posit that they are more likely to vote on another option as a means of a segue, or ignore the entire poll and thread altogether, and that's why that option is still drawing a blank. I'm sorry, I had to have a laugh at that one.

Yes thats true 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I was hoping someone was bold enough to do it! Haha! 😆

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    They removed the other buttons because some people were using them to target and harass specific people.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    The way I see it, anyone misusing the insightful button to be a sarcastic immature person, isn't accomplishing what they think, by doing so, only other haters are going to think that way. If anyone wanted to hit me with a bunch of insightfuls as an act of aggression it's the most impotent gesture ever, because I will never feel any sting from it. Good thing there's no dislike button, because people who want to be bullies would have field day. Disagreeing publicly can and should be done in a civil, transparent fashion, through replies and quotes. That way, anyone being ugly on purpose, can be held accountable.

I give insightfuls whenever someone explained something well or gave useful information.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    edited October 2021
    -Posted on wrong thread. LOL.-
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited October 2021
    For comments I dislike or disagree with
    Option B. Naturally. Naturally.
    Why would anyone choose the other options? You’re all so serious…

On a serious note: I do use the insightful button for option A and option C. Occasionally Option D. So yes, I lied.

I tend to believe that a person who uses it for anything other is using it:
    • A- sarcastically and the poster may or may not be aware of it. (Post is meant to be serious).
    • B- to have a laugh and the poster is aware of it. (Post is meant to be funny).
    • C- doesn’t know the difference between the words “insight” and “incite”.

To incite means - and I stole his one from the Oxford dictionary- to encourage somebody to do something violent, illegal or unpleasant, especially by making them angry or excited.

I can tell from experience. I’ve been awarded “IN-CITE-fuls” for posts that made people angry, excited and offended. Long time ago. Long time ago. I can only hope they did nothing illegal afterwards. 😇

A poster giving someone an “awesome” for something they dislike or disagree with…well…they probably mixed it up with the word “awful”.

This is what some folks think our 3 buttons mean:
    • Insightful = “Inciteful” ( as in: you make me angry with your nonsense)..
    • Like = “Hike” (as in: go take a hike, you fool).
    • Awesome = “Awful” ( as in: that’s just awful).

Remember not every person on here is a native English speaker so it would be quite easy to be confused by the spelling and meaning of words that are pronounced in a similar manner.

Indeed indeed, great thing is no matter what somebody thinks a button means, the moment they hit it, It gives ya points. So here’s to hoping that no one has the slightest idea about what any of those buttons actually mean…

To be fair though I don’t really get the meaning of those points either. They should count towards something like sim points and if you’re high enough on the leaderboard you should be able to get a Kit or Stuff pack. 😝
    To be fair though I don’t really get the meaning of those points either. They should count towards something like sim points and if you’re high enough on the leaderboard you should be able to get a Kit or Stuff pack. 😝

I do wish they had a forum store where you can buy sim stickers, gifs, or dp/pfps with your points. Otherwise theyre useless...

• Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    bluedanube wrote: »
    The way I see it, anyone misusing the insightful button to be a sarcastic immature person, isn't accomplishing what they think, by doing so, only other haters are going to think that way. If anyone wanted to hit me with a bunch of insightfuls as an act of aggression it's the most impotent gesture ever, because I will never feel any sting from it.

@ignominiusrex And they are handing out points for free, let's not forget about that. Most of us write constructive, informative stuff to warrant our 'insightfuls'. I think most of us can agree : we work for our handouts. But, you know, if we haven't written anything to target towards an 'insightful' and they want to hand-out tokens for free - then feel free to do so, LOL. I'd bet any forummer here with really thick skin really wouldn't care why the detractors choose to be immature, they'll be more concerned with how pleasing the "extra credits" look on their profile page.

Personally, the points are well...pointless. Doesn't do anything for me in real life. Can I cash it in for a discount? Can I get free goodies from the store with it? Rewarding for good forum behavior would be an interesting incentive. Though to be honest, it is common sense to treat others with kindness and respect or suffer from the universal law, what goes around comes around, sooner or later. Some might chalk it up to just a string of bad luck but have no idea the supernatural force in play. Don't worry about that last part, only the esoteric will understand that.

In any case, I guess some may use the points as a puff up for their ego but to each their own.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    edited October 2021

The points are for bragging rights. I would know cuz I got a lot of them. 😂😂😉
    FwDXXd5.gif