Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use the Gender Options ?

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Yes
    I use the pregnancy options the most -- sometimes I like to create Sims for story-telling purposes that are infertile, then they adopt children. I don't often transition existing Sims, though I'm working on a new template save and I'm thinking of transitioning Darling Walsh from female to male and changing their name to Darren. I'd love it if they'd expand the gender options where we could set gender preference especially for Sims we're not planning to actively play, but might have to see if we get any sort of story progression for that.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Yes
    JustMeAlb wrote: »
    Used it a couple of times for female sims that didn't care for dresses/skirts. Once tried to give a female sim a masculine frame but wasn't pleased with the extreme result and wasn't competent enough in CAS to tone it down.

Male Sims with feminine frame tend to work a bit better I've found. And I forgot that I do use the clothing preferences quite a bit as well.
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Yes
    I used the plum out of them at first, to see how they worked, then made some Sims I'd been unable to make previously. It was driving me crazy being unable to make a certain character and a friend properly. Now, I use it once in a while, as desired.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited October 2021
    No
    No, I don’t think I’ve ever used it. Sometimes I have some females wear some men’s clothes, and, once in awhile I’ll have a man wear some of the women’s pants, but other than that i don’t cross dress them, and don’t have men with female frames or Vice versa. I also have it where only woman can get pregnant.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Rarely
    Don't really use them, but have on the very rare occasion I wanted to have a trans sim in my household or if I wanted Morgyn's babies. >.>
    Happy it's there for the people who like and use the feature, I personally don't really care for it.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    Yes
    I always use it with same sex couples so they can have babies. That is normal in the Simsish Universe.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Yes
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I would use it so much more if the clothes actually fit correctly for the opposite frame. :neutral: But I love having custom gender options and do use them occasionally.

This really really really annoys me :( whenever I try to give sims with a masculine frame clothing in the feminine style category, it gives them boobs and there are similar issues when you try to put sims with feminine frame in masculine style clothing. I wish they would add feminine and masculine style clothes which work for both frame types.
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    Yes
    I use it quite frequently to make my same sex couples be able to have biological children. I did also make a trans sim once, but I didn’t play out his transition or anything.

I did use some masculine clothes in my makeover of Darling Walsh and changed her clothing preference to masculine but I wish the masculine clothes didn’t look so weird on female sims. I still used some feminine tagged clothes on her because of that.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Rarely
    I mostly use it for same-sex pregnancies, but I do use feminine-tagged clothes on masculine Sims and vice versa from time to time.

While a lot of the clothes look kinda awkward on opposite frames, the general rule is that masculine tops tend to look fine on feminine frames but not bottoms, and feminine bottoms tend to look fine on masculine frames but not tops.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yes
    Responding to address my gameplay, rather than react to others' responses.
    I use it quite frequently to make my same sex couples be able to have biological children. I did also make a trans sim once, but I didn’t play out his transition or anything.

I did use some masculine clothes in my makeover of Darling Walsh and changed her clothing preference to masculine but I wish the masculine clothes didn’t look so weird on female sims. I still used some feminine tagged clothes on her because of that.

Pretty much the same.

"Why not adopt?" is the frequent counter-argument. Well, for one, adopted children cannot inherit genetics, and that includes not only looking somewhat like their parents but also things like Spellcaster bloodlines.

"So, one of them is really a woman." No, they are both really men, and really gay. But they are also SORCERERS who can use MAGIC.

Or space-wizards, in my Journey to Batuu save, where I play a pair of not-exactly-Jedi Force-users, Kyber temple devotees. "Balance in the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be impossible," is the Ashla-dai-Bogan catch-phrase I use to justify it in my game.

But both my main Legacy save and my side Journey to Batuu save have gay couples as founders.

The one trans sim I have specifically set out to make was my version of Anna Madrigal, the beloved, bohemian landlady from Armistead Maupin's groundbreaking Tales of the City. I made her along with all of her tenants at 28 Barbary Lane (except the creepy loner in the penthouse shack).

Raiding the Ladies' Department for wardrobe, hair styles, accessories and cosmetics is something I do frequently as well, but not always, and I don't consider it "custom gender settings" in the same sense.

I find it a bit difficult to believe that simmers who profess that Sulani is their favorite world, and that they play all premade households, can be unaware of custom gender settings, since Maxis used them with the island chief's granddaughter, Lia Haupata - specifically to represent traditional (historic and present-day) Polynesian māhū (Hawai'ian and Tahitian) or fakaleiti (Tongan) or fa'afafine (Samoan) - variant gender expressions present in Pacific Island cultures.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Rarely
    As others have said, outside of making my sims infertile for story purposes, I rarely use it. I'm glad it's there for those that do use it.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Yes
    I use the features from time to time, sometimes just to experiment in CAS but now and then to play. In one of my current saves I have a trans sim who recently transitioned.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Yes
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Responding to address my gameplay, rather than react to others' responses.

Pretty much the same.

"Why not adopt?" is the frequent counter-argument. Well, for one, adopted children cannot inherit genetics, and that includes not only looking somewhat like their parents but also things like Spellcaster bloodlines.

"So, one of them is really a woman." No, they are both really men, and really gay. But they are also SORCERERS who can use MAGIC.

Or space-wizards, in my Journey to Batuu save, where I play a pair of not-exactly-Jedi Force-users, Kyber temple devotees. "Balance in the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be impossible," is the Ashla-dai-Bogan catch-phrase I use to justify it in my game.

But both my main Legacy save and my side Journey to Batuu save have gay couples as founders.

The one trans sim I have specifically set out to make was my version of Anna Madrigal, the beloved, bohemian landlady from Armistead Maupin's groundbreaking Tales of the City. I made her along with all of her tenants at 28 Barbary Lane (except the creepy loner in the penthouse shack).

Raiding the Ladies' Department for wardrobe, hair styles, accessories and cosmetics is something I do frequently as well, but not always, and I don't consider it "custom gender settings" in the same sense.

I find it a bit difficult to believe that simmers who profess that Sulani is their favorite world, and that they play all premade households, can be unaware of custom gender settings, since Maxis used them with the island chief's granddaughter, Lia Haupata - specifically to represent traditional (historic and present-day) Polynesian māhū (Hawai'ian and Tahitian) or fakaleiti (Tongan) or fa'afafine (Samoan) - variant gender expressions present in Pacific Island cultures.

I'd love to see your Tales of the City Sims! I'm old enough to remember reading the first saga when it was done as a serial in the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper -- one of the girls in my Women's Studies class subscribed to the paper and we'd pass it around before (and sometimes during) class.

For my same-sex couples I tend to take them into CAS and use genetics to give them a toddler, mainly because I'm not completely happy with the object babies. I figure they're participating in a cloning experiment at the Science Lab; I'll sometimes give them some extra Simoleons as well as payment for participation in the scientific research. B)

• Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Rarely
    This thread inspired me to make my vampires infertile. They'll most likely be around forever anyway, so there's no need/hurry for them to have offspring. If I want one of them to be fertile again they have to interact with the wishing well, wish for a child and get a neutral outcome, or make elixir of fertility and use it, or get fertility massage, and then I'll make them fertile for a day or so.

One of my gay couples had two children with a surrogate mom, but it wasn't a good option for them because it interrupted the harmony in their relationship and I also disliked that the children resembled the mom and the family relations weren't there ("nonparent" and child's relationship was harder to maintain). So I made a third child in CAS and am reluctant to use a surrogate again in that kind of relationships. Anyway, I'm starting to think that maybe my same-sex couples could use the elixir of fertility or fertility massage too if I want to play the precnancy and baby stuff with them and they don't mind getting pregnant. Wishing well might be too risky for them. I know my vampires could handle the other wishing well outcomes :naughty::innocent:
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Yes
    My gay men get always pregnant. I would however prefer the hospital babies from TS3 ITF.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    No
    I've been thinking to use them to "sterilize" sims once they get beyond a certain age for realism reasons but never really bothered.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,878 Member
    Yes
    I second the wish to see your 28 Barbary Lane and inhabitants @Sindocat <3
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    No
    Mostly No, but there have been some exceptions.
    In Create a Sim, I will let my same gender Sims be able to have kids, so they will be linked to them genetically, and will have their actual kids continue their bloodlines. However, once I exit CAS, they won't be able to have additional kids.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yes
    I second the wish to see your 28 Barbary Lane and inhabitants @Sindocat <3

I'll see if I can find pics of the sims I made. I did find one of the house, though:

U75ORQq.png
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Rarely

Oh those, I think I’ve used them once to alter a premades frame.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    No
    I think it's neat that they exist. And come to think of it, my vote is a lie...I tend to make my Sims non-fertile!
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    Rarely
    Very rarely. Used it to give my metal head Sim some standard long hair that was deemed "Feminine" but could still pass as a unisex hairstyle, mostly because the long hair for males in this game is either.......too short, or comes complete with a manbun which is not the style I'm looking for. Used it another time to give my Jedi Sim that one set of robes that look similar to Jedi robes but.....are considered "Feminine".

I made a Trans Sim once. That's all the times I've used the gender options.
  • Options
    grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    Yes
    Sure do! I think it’s great that we can represent the diverse spectrum of gender identity.
  • Options
    EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    Rarely
    I have had trans sims, although I usually use it to infertilise my sims after I don’t want them to have kids anymore
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I always use it with same sex couples so they can have babies. That is normal in the Simsish Universe.

This, in the sim universe in my head cannon, all sims are allowed to carry or conceive, tech is advanced thanks to the alien tech the scientist got ahold of.

It gives me the excuse to accept the birthing machines at the hospital 😂 alien technology.