Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Console Players Make The Sims (and need more attention...)

SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
YouMakeTheSims tag is very popular on social media and promoted by TS official account. Due to that I decided to cteate this topic because in my opinion console players are omitted in the community, Simgurus and Sims Media. I want to put this thread in this section because a lot of people skip console subforum and I want to invite everyone to the discussion.

On the beginning I want to say that I see a lot of comments that The Sims on PC is better than console version and due to that people ignore our point of view for a lot of things. For example for the anniversary gift we received some CC content and a lot of people was disappointed because they have that items directly from CC packs. I totally don't understand why a huge amount of community ignore that some people can't or don't want to download CC.

Also a lot of people think that TS4 on consoles has long loading screens and consoles can't handle this game and due to that we don't have a better content (also for PC) because of consoles limitation. I can agree that TS4 has bad optimalisation on consloes, but from the end of previous year we have much more better next gen consoles wchih are more and more popular. I play on PS5 and I can guarantee that TS4 on this console is much more better and faster than on popular laptops or PCs. Whats more, I need to say that EA should do PS5 update for TS4 because sometimes loading screens are faster than loading bars for example. But still I feel that community think that TS4 is lacking because of us.

As I said on the beginning I feel that we are totally omitted. I see no representation of console players in game changers community. No one of simgurus or sim media show console players creations. Whats more I feel that the content with mods and CC is being more promoted than we are. I see no console gameplay or any information abaut the consoles on official streams etc. For example I want to know if we ever get any update or implementation of CC or something.

I want to feel that we are a part of the community and our voice matters. I don't want to live in quiet limbo where everyone ignore us and where only some of console players sometimes try to highlight what we need or want on our consoles. I want to feel that PC players don't blame us of TS4 weaknesses also.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I am and have always been a PC player. I don't own a console for a variety of reasons, but I'm sorry you feel neglected. I'm also sorry you feel left out of the modding community. Apparently, there's no way to use a mod in a console. I'm not terribly tech-savvy, but I don't rely on game-changers, either, nor do I blame console users for TS4 weaknesses. That lies strictly with EA.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    edited October 2021
    I have never seen anyone claim Ts4 was lacking becuase of console users, but sorry you feel that way. As for the cc stuff being in the game, unfortunately there are always going to be people that complain, you can't let it get to you.

I doubt the omission on the gallery is intentional.
    Post edited by Caitxcat on
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Not only are Console players not overlooked by the Community Team, because the gameplay differs slightly, and the interface much moreso, the Community Team has dedicated an entire board to discussion of Sims 4 console play. Perhaps engaging with other console users on the forums might help you feel less overlooked.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I prefer playing on PC for UI intensive games, always have and always will, but as someone that played the old console ports I'd argue this is the least neglected Sims game console wise. It is basically the exact same game everywhere now. Great for choice of platform, but it means people that started with a PC copy have next to no reason to buy it on console, too. In similar respects, I can see people not being excited for CC and mod content being added. I don't use either and like additions in general so I was happy (not hyped, but happy), however, I have seen some people not want new base game content at all due to their PC specs so there is much more to this than a PC versus console think.

I haven't personally seen people railing against 4's console ports in particular, but I have seen it with other games. *shrug* There are some valid points on both sides. It all comes down to specs and optimization, but the game must be playable for everything it is listed for or you get a Cyberpunk debacle (which should have been next gen only in my opinion, but people want it on the hardware they have miracle required or not) and yes, it can theoretically hold stuff back because the goal is a uniform experience on everything. Which just isn't always possible. This being said, going by 4's PC launch console has absolutely nothing to do with all the initial issues.

The only thing I can assume is there are not as many console content creators for the Sims. I imagine editing videos is still very PC centric, and a competitive hobby to get in to, so why wouldn't those creators be playing on what is probably a beefy PC. Now, again with other games, I have seen some console players post videos. However, video quality was very low in my experience. It wasn't specifically them either, my console experience playing the same game was similar. I just didn't care because I was playing and not watching. Same with my other PS4 games. (Yep, still play stuff on a base PS4. If console is holding Sims 4 PC back, I am definitely part of the problem.)

Lastly, specifically talking about the subforum, I do skip over console discussions a lot because I cannot add much without playing on console. Especially if that is the hyper focus of the forum. If more general things are discussed, I expect console and PC players alike to be in the discussion. If you feel you were forced into a secluded sub forum, I generally encourage you to participate in the rest of the broad discussions as well.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    As a console player I definitely feel let down at times, especially recently while trying to find a solution to an issue I'm having. A lot of help seems to be aimed at PC players, and "what about consoles?" questions seem to be ignored (or marked "solved" in the help forums despite players announcing that simply turning their console off and on again did not fix their issue).

I do feel that console players are treated like the annoying younger siblings of the Sims world sometimes :lol: and I do get the impression that some players think that if you aren't playing on a PC and using mods then you aren't playing "right".

Trying to convince other simmers that I don't want mods and that I'm quite happy with my game and find the graphics on my console to be excellent can be like pulling teeth at times. (Absolutely not all simmers, but I have had or seen this interaction far too many times).

PC players are not superior. We all spend far too much money and time on this game.

I'm sorry if I seem negative, I do try to remain positive on the forums, but I've not been having a great experience with Sims recently. I'm rather upset and needed to vent.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I play on an old Xbox One S and have never had the amount of issues PC players do, which is why I'm glad I stuck with console with this game. No lost saves, and one crash in the 4 years I've been playing. Personally I could careless about mods/CC as well, they look cool but look at all the "omg my games broken after this update" because of them, so glad I don't deal with that stuff. My game takes a few minutes to load completely in and that's fine by me so long I can update and jump right into the game with all my sims and furniture not looking like question marks.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    I want to feel that PC players don't blame us of TS4 weaknesses also.

I’ve never seen anyone claim such a thing. 🤔

Folks may feel The Sims 4 is lacking compared to previous titles due to whatever reasons, but one of them could be because the team had to ensure the game was optimized for those who still play it on an old fridge. And although old fridge players now have a legacy version, we’re still sorta dealing with the engine that was built for an online multiplayer. It tends to be a little buggy at times?

I agree that many people do not seem to consider the fact that console players cannot use mods or that there are simmers who prefer vanilla play. Even as a mod using PC player I’m getting tired of the famous “OMG can’t believe people pay money for that stuff because content creators make it FOR FREE!”. Anyone who keeps saying that, please go away. You’re very annoying. Actually don’t bother, I’ll go away. 😆

If you’re an avid sim player and as a console player mods are something you really really really want to use, perhaps switching over to PC is in fact something to consider, since it’s been 7 years and there has been no sign of mod integration for console in the near future.

Unrelated perhaps, but there’s one thing I’ve always wondered regarding The Sims 4 console gameplay:

How do you folks build using a controller? Or sculpt in CAS?
    I use a controller for action games on my PC, but trying to build or sculpt in the sims with that thing in my hands seems very uncomfortable.
    For those playing on console, how do you experience that? Do you find it tricky?
    If so, may this be a reason not many console creations are shared on the gallery? But then again, how would you know if a build is created on console or not? I’m aware that the console gallery feature was introduced at a much later stage, but don’t we all share the same gallery or does console have a different one? 🧐

• SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    You may be surprised but for me it's really easy to built with controller. On the beginning it was torublesome because I had no experience, but currently I have totally no problem with that. Sometimes I use a mouse and keyboard to do some details but in general I use only controller. I think that there are no tips to make building easier. You just need to have some experience. You can find the most of my creations on Gallery if you are interested Thiredistia

What about CC. When I was playing TS2 long years ago I was CCholic, but today in TS4 I only miss BB and CAS content. I don't need any huge mods. I just want to see more colours, meshes and options. I love HeyHarrie or Peacemaker_ic for example and I really miss that EA didn't take more their content on the last anniversary. I miss kitchens especially.
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I’m PS4 player, I’m not using any other platform for any type of gaming. While Sims 4 may not be perfect console game, when I’m reading bug reports and see pc players having a lot of issues I never heard of, I’m glad I play on console. But I honestly never felt that anybody blame console players for any problems that Sims 4 have.
    I think it may be the ongoing argument between pc players and consoles which platform is more capable (especially Sony made) in general, who is the real hardcore gamer and that stuff. This conflict does exist, but I don’t think it affects that much of Sims community.
    That being said my seven years old PS4 is handling Sims 4 with many packs, good enough for me to not consider jumping to the next gen yet. If I felt that the game is being neglected I would probably just stopped at buying base game and call it a day.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited November 2021
    I don't blame the console players for anything. I do think that some PC players really don't understand why some console player refuse to use cheats. The "trophy system" is kind of a worthless tool on PC, and I actually see it as worthless on consoles too. But, I know some people need it for some reason. The issue I have is I feel no meaningful significant gameplay features are being added. The explanation I feel insinuated from the Devs is somewhat generically along the lines that the game is on multiple platforms. It seems the gameplay I want is something the consoles may not be able to handle. So whatever is added must run on all platforms. I don't blame consoles players for that. I blame the company's desire to have the game features match on all platforms.

I have a gaming desktop and gaming laptop that can be easily upgraded to be more powerful than any consoles on the market. My desktop is more powerful then they are as of right now. So some people may feel consoles are part of the reason the game is lacking.

I did attempt to play the game on PS4, because my teen is a console player. I found the controls for the game to be more suited for mouse and keyboard. I hated using the console controller. If I wanted a console experience like that, I can hook up my computer to my large TV. We returned the console game for a refund after only 3 hours frustrating playtime.

We know console player can't play with cc or mods. That is no issue, because there are PC players who refuse to. That is why if my suggestion is a mod or cc, I tell them it was the only solution I had found. The use of cheat bar issue is something we don't understand. Sometimes to fix an issue, the cheat bar is necessary. It is not all about making things easier in-game. Like I said, there are "achievements" on the PC. The are all worthless though. Do you know how many times I have gotten 'played sims for 5 hours' or 'made it through 10 generations' since 2016? Almost every single individual game save. So that is why we don't think about the achievements being worth anything.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    I’m a PC player but I played the sims console games back when they were different games. (I want to play the sims 3 on console because they offer things you don’t get in the PC games)

I do think console players need more attention, PC players can add mods and CC and console players can’t which is an issue when there is a game breaking bug.
  • Tequila_Rose_13191Tequila_Rose_13191 Posts: 143 Member
    I am and have always been a PC player. I don't own a console for a variety of reasons, but I'm sorry you feel neglected. I'm also sorry you feel left out of the modding community. Apparently, there's no way to use a mod in a console. I'm not terribly tech-savvy, but I don't rely on game-changers, either, nor do I blame console users for TS4 weaknesses. That lies strictly with EA.

There are most definately not only ways to put mods on consoles & there are games that support it. Skyrim & Fallout 4 both support mods and are able to use certain ones okayed by whomever.
  • Tequila_Rose_13191Tequila_Rose_13191 Posts: 143 Member
    I play on Xbox and yeah, Acheivements are our reward system bcause we get points for them that we can put toward stuff/brag about gamer score. I've found a lot of loopholes in my many years of playing the Sims4 so I don't really ever use cheats but the reset cheat being added to the "no consequence" cheats like the BB cheats would be nice because it's not being used to actually cheat, it's to fix glitching or bugging.
    I'd be content with that.
  • StephenJHollowayStephenJHolloway Posts: 71 Member
    We used to have console specific Simgurus on twitter and then suddenly one day they all stopped posting. That was years ago now. We are irrelevant or at least that's how it feels. You ask a Simguru a console question and your ignored. I'm still waiting on them to sort out the jaggie edge problem on console as well as the blurry issues with the camera and they won't respond to any of my tweets.
  • RoseRyderRoseRyder Posts: 19 Member
    I’ve been playing the sims for 4 months now on the PS5 and it’s been made loud and clear how no one gives a crap about console players and the general response to anyone playing on a console who has a question about ANYTHING seems to be, get a PC. *eyeroll* The rudeness and apathy doesn’t get to me so much as the lack of cheats for consoles, I have a lot of NPC sims that I do not want to spend any time with but are a part of my story nonetheless, but I can only do a fraction of the cheats PC players can and it limits my gameplay and is frustrating. It’s also incredibly time consuming having to peck out the cheat codes letter. By. Letter. UGH, there needs to be a better, easier system for console cheats. I don’t care about CC, I can live without mods, but the fact that we don’t have all the same cheats available to us really drives me nuts. I’m not even going to get into the fact that we are ignored by literally everyone, including and especially EA who is happy to take our money but gives us zero attention. If I had know how bad it was for consol players I wouldn’t have even bothered buying the game on console and just would have waited until I had saved up my money to buy a new gaming laptop (my current one is dead RIP)
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    RoseRyder wrote: »
    I’ve been playing the sims for 4 months now on the PS5 and it’s been made loud and clear how no one gives a crap about console players and the general response to anyone playing on a console who has a question about ANYTHING seems to be, get a PC. *eyeroll* The rudeness and apathy doesn’t get to me so much as the lack of cheats for consoles, I have a lot of NPC sims that I do not want to spend any time with but are a part of my story nonetheless, but I can only do a fraction of the cheats PC players can and it limits my gameplay and is frustrating. It’s also incredibly time consuming having to peck out the cheat codes letter. By. Letter. UGH, there needs to be a better, easier system for console cheats. I don’t care about CC, I can live without mods, but the fact that we don’t have all the same cheats available to us really drives me nuts. I’m not even going to get into the fact that we are ignored by literally everyone, including and especially EA who is happy to take our money but gives us zero attention. If I had know how bad it was for consol players I wouldn’t have even bothered buying the game on console and just would have waited until I had saved up my money to buy a new gaming laptop (my current one is dead RIP)

Fortunately on PS5, when you enter the cheat once, the PS5 keyboard will suggest you that cheat next time when you start to type the code. For example I have moveobjects cheat suggested when I type just "M" letter in the cheat box.
  • _natalie_natalie Posts: 582 Member
    @GirlFromIpanema and @RoseRyder I couldn’t agree more, as a PlayStation user.
    She/Her. 👩🏻
    PlayStation. 🎮
    United Kingdom. 🇬🇧
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited September 2022
    I would expect the main reason why there is no really big content creator on console is that the best ways to make content involve using PC.

You can stream/record from console and the new generations are certainly better. But for the real quality editing software and art software and everything you need to really make a career out of content creation you would need a powerful PC even if you were going to play on console.

And if you have a powerful PC then...
  • eternaleebeternaleeb Posts: 7 New Member
    I totally agree. Like most, I bought the game when it came out on console and have spent the last several years buying the packs as they come out just to be disappointed with almost every single one and almost all the creators are PC players who ultimately don't care or even know because they have CC and MODS, lol. However, I have started a Twitch channel where I play on XBOX @leemabean98 :) if anyone wants to follow. I will be reviewing the packs, challenges and building base game builds. Also, covering a bunch of tips and tricks for gameplay, building and more! First stream will be tomorrow, 9/27@7PM.
  • OmniNerd42OmniNerd42 Posts: 38 Member

Yeah the lack of cheats bugged me too. But at least on Xbox (not sure about PS) you can now do all the cheats pretty easy. You just have to have a keyboard that you can hook up to your console. I wish I knew if it worked for PS. The other good thing is you can swap to a different camera setup with the keyboard and mouse too. Which makes things easier. Hopefully PS supports it that way.

Check Out My Current Sims 4 Creations
    Or
    Check Out My Older Sims 3 Account & Creations
    And
    Check Out My Live Stream Where teens throughout the Sims have runaway from home together. The drama is real!
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    OmniNerd42 wrote: »

Yeah the lack of cheats bugged me too. But at least on Xbox (not sure about PS) you can now do all the cheats pretty easy. You just have to have a keyboard that you can hook up to your console. I wish I knew if it worked for PS. The other good thing is you can swap to a different camera setup with the keyboard and mouse too. Which makes things easier. Hopefully PS supports it that way.

What do you mean by lack of cheats? Console has the same cheats PC does. You just enter the name using pad and console will remember what you typed before. No need to “work the letters” every single time. Cas cheats, money cheats, equip/remove trait etc. all works great on console.

• leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member

Really??
    Are you saying me you no knew consoles limitations vs pc?
    Lack of CC and mods are not due EA, else due consoles limitation to write files out of game files
  • _natalie_natalie Posts: 582 Member

@Olalla1986 Not true. Console can only use some of the cheats available on PC and console players have to enter the codes each and every time they load in.

She/Her. 👩🏻
    PlayStation. 🎮
    United Kingdom. 🇬🇧
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 671 Member
    And now console is dealing with constant crashing after the latest patch.

Remember when we literally had to wait like a month later for pack releases, versus PC?

And we didn’t have gallery either. There’s such a stigma around being a console player and it stinks.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited February 2023

Ah I’m sorry you feel that way. I don’t really feel a stigma, these forums are very quiet for console players, I know some people have tried to make them more active but no one really comments here.

But I wouldn’t say we have a stigma. I do think they couldn’t make the game 1:1 for certain reasons but I think we mostly have parity now. This is the best time for sims console, in the past we wouldn’t have gotten the same game at all.

I just hope they will be quick with any fix they’re going to do. It sounds like the crashing is very bad although I didn’t experience it yet.