Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Kits vs Sims 3 Store: Which one did it better and why?

ยซ1
Plumbella did an interesting Video, where she compared the Sims 3 Store with the Sims 4 Kits. Both of them give you more customization options for your playstyle. So what do you think? Who wins

Sims 4 Kits vs Sims 3 Store: Which one did it better and why? 67 votes

Sims 3 Store
55%
Mistletoe143pisceschick75crazygrl32084suetoopIsb917ncisGibbs02CynnaAnmirlaCinebaralanmichael1Charlotteknskybird14lisasc360BabykittyjadeTrowiciaAriissAPottsbenson2006mariajane216cyncie 37 votes
Sims 4 Kits
17%
Sara1010PSimburianmetmichallicaMalisityStrawberryYogurtfilipomelCharlotta11WildIrishBansheeRememberJoySiggDiggitCalico45qrkadiy 12 votes
Both are good, because...
7%
simgirl1010DarkLady2788Mizzila1297ddd994ohpekoe 5 votes
I dislike both, because...
19%
crocobauraPlayerSinger2010Symb10sismueller_litetaydevemereOnverserKelvinBreazonacaliposslogionSeashoreLiviaImagebear 13 votes

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Sims 3 Store
    It released stuff much more often and had much more variety and it was more niche, thus more interesting imo.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited October 2021
    I think The sims 3 store was more developed, you could buy worlds, gameplay items and customize your worlds more, and it released stuff more often, but it came at a price, a lot of their items seems very expensive.

Kits are much more smaller but at least they don't cost as much as the items did on the sims3 store.

In the end though, I am not a huge fan of either because they generally offer less content for more money, but it depends how much you play with them and like them.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sims 3 Store
    I dislike both, :p but TS3's store did it better. Something new every month, something free often, sales and deep discounts, and often people could get free content if they watched enough ads to gain points. Don't even have to be at the pc to let an ad play.

Often Maxis would sell the one item someone wanted instead of the entire world or set or content which might be considered pricey but Kits don't offer that option. I know I got a few things (that one item) without having to spend the $20 Simoleans for an entire set etc.

Much more diverse worlds to offer, much more diverse attire of different peoples sold in sets, loved those, much more architecture to get, and much more furniture styles. And gifting, don't forget gifting. To and from others, sometimes total strangers gave me stuff (thank you) and sometimes I gifted other players just because it was on their wish lists. Easy way to gift others. Easy install of content, and just copy and keep forever in case we switched pcs and didn't want to download again, without having to use the internet again.

Yes, it was pricey but it expanded the base game most of the time and kits don't expand the base game. If they want to put worlds in kits for $5.00, ok that's a deal but they aren't going to do that. But I literally was against the store for several years until I needed and wanted new content and saw much of it was offered for free or on sale eventually. Just about any style of play and or period of time, and or ethnicity a player could imagine. That team worked their fingers to the bone to bring great stuff to the game. And don't forget much of the content offered gameplay not just decor etc. and CAS assets. I didn't see the gamechanger's video but I have to say TS3's Store.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Sims 4 Kits
    The Store was a huge turn-off for me - overpriced and ridiculous. I like kits, and while right now the Store obviously offered more, we get about half a stuff pack's worth of content for about half the price in each kit - seems fair to me. Plus I think kits can go places the store might not have been able to, but as it's still in development, we shall see. In some ways though, we're kind of comparing apples to oranges, but hey, the way EA works, there may be a Sims 4 store in development somewhere, and then everyone can have the best of both worlds lmao.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Sims 3 Store
    I liked the store better. Kits are way too focused and come out at a lot slower pace than the store. I liked the store simply because you could buy just individual items rather than having to buy an entire set to get just that one plant or lamp or whatever if the rest of the stuff was things you knew you'd probably never use.

When kits first came out, I honestly thought they would be offering a new one every month, but that hasn't happened. I'm not too big into CAS and that seems to be the main focus of them. I'd much prefer gameplay kits.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited October 2021
    I liked the store better. Kits are way too focused and come out at a lot slower pace than the store. I liked the store simply because you could buy just individual items rather than having to buy an entire set to get just that one plant or lamp or whatever if the rest of the stuff was things you knew you'd probably never use.

When kits first came out, I honestly thought they would be offering a new one every month, but that hasn't happened. I'm not too big into CAS and that seems to be the main focus of them. I'd much prefer gameplay kits.

It seems like we're getting 4 this month ๐Ÿ˜‚

And I agree we definitely need way more gameplay kits.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sims 4 Kits
    Most simply the smaller the increments, the more you pay overall per piece. I don't mind kits solely because they are still bundles and bundles for $5 USD, which is not unreasonable for my budget.

On the other hand, as someone that still plays 3, the store is quite expensive at asking price and requires a premium currency (a mobile esque microtransaction requirement I despise) which requires you to put so much money in to even get started. Further, especially speaking about using the store now, not only is it not as easy to get the old discounts and free Simpoints (which was a decent task in of itself from what I understand to get a bunch of things at a nice price) but the infrastructure and customer support is currently lacking. Many people, including myself, have had issues with the site that Origin support or anyone else cannot seem to help with.

The only real benefit to the store was that it got regular content and often. Which is enticing, I cannot deny, but it is no where near enough to wish we had a Sims 4 store instead of kits. Especially since four kits were announced this month.

Edit: I've seen a few mentions of worlds for sale on the Sims 3 store, which I understand being seen as a pro for the store but I see it more as a pro for 3 in general. It technically isn't impossible that 4 would sell worlds piecemeal still, but I genuinely think they would have world kits if 4 could handle it. Why not charge for something people are begging for and cannot make since there is no CAW tool this round?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    The store was - and continues to be - way too expensive. I don't have any fondness for kits either.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Sims 4 Kits
    The Sims 3 store was, and still is, an extremely confusing platform. I find kits are much more to the point in terms of their marketing and being able to actually purchase them. I also find kits to be a much better value than the various sets and items available on the Sims 3 store.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sims 3 Store
    The store, just because it was more varied. It was pricey and I hated the point system, but it definitely allowed for more customized simming with a wide variety of options, including gameplay and worlds.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Sims 3 Store
    I have to go with the Sims 3 Store with this one, ahead of the Kits because there was much more stuff in the store for free and I could get CAS items when I found free stuff on the store.

If I get any of the Kits, it will be the ones that contain clothes. That way I spend more time in CAS than in the actual game, which I prefer anyway when it comes to Sims 4.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Sims 4 Kits
    I disliked the Sims 3 store as I felt everything was overpriced; plus cc was free, and in my opinion, better quality.

As for quantity, I'm personally glad there is less content coming out now. If we had as much to choose from as we used to, it would make downloading anything from the gallery much more challenging.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    Sims 4 Kits
    I guess I like the kits better for the simple reason that I am not so tempted by them that I would buy them for only one or two items they come with. I bought a lot more from the store in 3 cause you could buy individual items, and it ate my wallet alive.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hate both of them. But the store is better for me as it included things like worlds, which I would actually want to buy. I have no interest in paying for just furniture or clothing sets
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Kits, while not terribly expensive, I think are overpriced and do not offer much gameplay. If you tell me it's the price of coffee, I'll tell you I don't buy 5 EUR coffee. Also, I feel they impact on release of SPs and new gameplay even though EA says otherwise.
    Sims 3 Store, on the other hand is pure evil, they released all rabbit holes in the game and put all interactive venues in the store. I am still waiting for the car you can tinker to sell independently of the world it comes with, same with the air balloons. Also, it is still very expensive.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    Sims 3 Store
    Plumbella did an interesting Video, where she compared the Sims 3 Store with the Sims 4 Kits. Both of them give you more customization options for your playstyle. So what do you think? Who wins

The Sims 3 store had so much great stuff. I ended up owning everything from the store and got most of it for free from collecting points and following a thread in the sims 3 forum that explained the best order to get things so you could get more for less points. That in itself was kind of fun.

The only reason I'm not playing Sims 3 right now is because I have to download everything from the store to my new pc and that will take me some time.

I like the kits in sims 4 but I'm really tired of the secrecy with what is coming out and when and I'm extremely disappointed that it seems we are only getting kits this fall. We should be getting an occult gp this month - fairies or werewolves.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Sims 3 Store
    Got plenty of store items gifted to me, I only bought few worlds and forge/smelting station if I recall correctly with money and some other from watching ads back in the day.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Both are good, because...
    Honestly, I really like both. I can't entirely explain why, either... I just do! I love being able to still get new things for my game every so often (not including CC, of course!), even if I can't get a new expansion or pack of some sort. I mean, packs don't come out as often as things like CAS and BB items, which I adore and use a lot. It's just nice.

Though I will admit, the part I really loved most about TS3 store was that you 1. had points you could spend (as a 7th grader, having points was way easier than asking my mom every time I wanted a relatively inexpensive item haha), and 2. you could very easily gift to your friends. Entire sets or single items, and the whole wishlist and timeline and all that good stuff? That was my favorite part of The Sims at the time. I loved seeing how lively everything was all the time, not to mention the awesome build contests/giveaways and other neat stuff in the forums because the Store made it so simple to gift and pool points for winners.

I loved the social and giving :lol:
  • metmichallicametmichallica Posts: 45 Member
    Sims 4 Kits
    I like the Kits better. The store was way overpriced and imo virtually impossible to get all the items, because it was so expensive.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Both feature low-effort contents that offer little substantial gameplay but at least sims 3 store sells worlds (albeit at a ridiculously high price). However, there are many other talented users out there releasing their insanely detailed worlds for free so it's not worth the money at all to purchase the ones made by EA.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Sims 4 Kits
    Because TS4 actually managed to get me to buy something. I never bought a thing from TS3 store
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sims 4 Kits
    I bought almost everything from the Sims 3 store but now it won't load because EA and I had password and name/email changes hiccups during the time (Origin)? and now doesn't recognise that I have bought anything from it and I had to download it all every time I played. I gave up.
    Don't tell me to use Answers as they don't understand either, even on Chats.

Around those early internet times, internet providers had simple email addresses etc. as well as EA I believe and several of them plus my provider got pwned. (qv) and they had to up their game with stronger ones and passwords. We must have been more trusting in those times!
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    Sims 3 Store
    Simply because there were plenty of free items and ways to get SimPoints for free. I have a good chunk of store content but can't recall ever straight-up buying the points. Also, there was just a massive amount of content - nightmare for completionists, awesome for a picky person like moi :)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited November 2021
    I dislike ts3 store with burning passion because not only was everything overpriced with the weird simpoints nonsense I also couldn't buy any of it because of the payment methods

all in all it was big annoyance to me during ts3

especially after they started cluttering the game with million ads for stuff I literally can't get

so in that sense I already prefer ts4 origin kits cause i can at least get them if i want to as long as origin giftcards are a thing

but even so I am not entirely convinced kits have to exist like there hasn't been a kit thats like

"Ah yes I totally see why this could not be put into any existing or upcoming pack and needs to be separate kit"

or

" omg i literally cannot have my sims live without this"

like idk i wouldn't say i dislike ts4 kits for now i am just mostly meh about them

especially after stuff packs just started to feel like actual addition to the game and it just feels like they went " ah can't keep doing that"

= for now its just
    ts3 store =make me angry poop
    ts4 kits = *bored moodlet*

take from that what you will i guess :sweat_smile:
    โญ๏ธ AHQ Champion ๐Ÿฆ‡ Vlad Advocate ๐Ÿ‰ Team Dragons
    ๐Ÿก Gallery ๐Ÿ“– Stories ๐ŸŒ World Project ๐Ÿฅ” MOD/CC Free
  • Symb10sisSymb10sis Posts: 93 Member
    Both are microtransactions.
    Microtransactions have been slowly ruining gaming for around 15 years now.
    Neither should have ever existed because it doesn't cost that much to make such small amounts of content.
    Imagine if you had to pay for every chair, hairstyle and lamp in a game like Skyrim.
    Just ridiculous money-grubbing nonsense and stuff that should have been included in the base game and expansion packs.
    Gamers should come before stockholders.
    And this is coming from someone who owns the entire Sims 3 store.
    My two cents.